[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stranger of Sword City. The dungeon crawler so beautiful that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
Stranger of Sword City. The dungeon crawler so beautiful that it would force normal humans to play it.
>>
>>338303530
Ugly character design.
>>
File: SoSC-XB1-Dated-JP_001.jpg (88 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
SoSC-XB1-Dated-JP_001.jpg
88 KB, 600x338
I don't understand why anyone would choose the awful alternative artstyle, or why anyone thought the game needed it.
>>
File: SoSC.png (2 MB, 1333x944) Image search: [Google]
SoSC.png
2 MB, 1333x944
>>338303798
Try this.
>>
File: pc_18.jpg (104 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
pc_18.jpg
104 KB, 800x800
>>338304653
That's even uglier. All of the NPCs except two are hideous. At least the character portraits seem really good, though.
>>
>>338303530
That's some handheld game that is getting ported to PC, right? I think I've heard about it. Gameplay looked pretty interesting, but not a fan of the art style.

This is the game that had the PIE stat, no? What the fuck does that stand for anyway?
>>
>>338305268
Probably Piety. It's been in a few old Wizardry era RPGs.
>>
So is anyone actually playing this now.

I'm at the Black Palace now. The end game itself is fucking insane with brutal boss gauntlets and Lineages that near one shot just about any character.
>>
>>338304934
What is wrong with you bro
>>
>>338305268
I think Windows release is in a month.

I like to play games like this on handhelds though because it's very comfy
>>
>>338305431
>I'm at the Black Palace now.

Is that what the White House turned into in 2008?
>>
>>338305431
Probably most of the people who would play it on /v/ are waiting for the June Steam release. But honestly that is what I'd expect from a late game in a dungeon crawler.
>>
>>338305423
Thanks, anon. That makes sense. I really should try a Wizardry game one of these days.
>>
I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a vita to play this and apparently I don't
>>
>>338305676
I think a lot of people are also somewhat rethinking to purchase because of some kind of extended version or shit like that.

Or waiting for a sale/price drop
>>
>>338306030
Been following this game for awhile and haven't heard anything about a new extended version, although I did kind of get lax once I heard it was coming to PC in english since that was what I needed to know, since it's actually a platform I have. I know the one version now has silly portraits in an anime style rather than the original one but honestly I prefer the original
>>
>>338306030

why would anyone expect an extended edition. exp inc has never done that
>>
>>338306540
>. I know the one version now has silly portraits in an anime style rather than the original one but honestly I prefer the original

Aren't both styles available for the Vita/X1/PC version?
>>
>>338306654
Oh, I mixed something up. I think what the news meant was the updated version (Black Palace) which we got, will be available as DLC for Japan.
>>
>>338305431
I got my ass kicked in an unexpected boss gauntlet in ghost town not too long ago. I decided to spend some time exploring the mausoleum of flames before heading back there.
>>
>>338306778
They weren't available in the original Japanese PC version--maybe they'll be added in the Steam release though. I get the feeling that may be a Vita port and not a translation of the original game released at Japanese retail for PC (yes such a thing did happen)
>>
>>338307059
>>338305431
How good is the enemy variety? That's one of the only things that could kill this game for me, if it turns into another "2-3 enemies per area" game like some JRPGs are now. I don't expect that because it's a dungeon crawler though and they live more on enemy variety than a standard JRPG
>>
>>338305268
>>338305630
>Ported to PC
Holy fuck, I didn't know about that. It'd be comfier on a handheld, but I won't complain about not having to buy a Vita.
>>
>>338304451

christ thats awful
thank god the original art is still good
>>
The PC release lets you have custom portraits
So you can have your party be whatever you want
>>
>>338307059
Yeah that part surprised me too. For the second fight, it helped me out a bunch to spend at least two-three solid rounds buffing myself and debuffing the other guy. Also, buying whistle bells (it sucks because almost every endgame boss fucks you party order up and some spam it every round).
>>
File: jCJZkst.jpg (168 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
jCJZkst.jpg
168 KB, 960x544
>>338307527
Yeah that's what I'm going to end up doing. I could see it as a game people play on the go due to it being turn based but for that art and not having to buy a Vita I'm not above just getting it on PC. The enemy art is what I wanted JRPGs to look like in the future rather than 3D
>>
Is this not out for PC yet?
>>
>>338307920
June
>>
>>338304653
the generic dwarf turns into a ninja loli?
I mite buy this game just for that;
>>
>>338308054

the original artstyle has some cute grownup cat ninja women

shits hot
>>
>>338307297
No, there's a shit ton of monster variety and fantastic art throughout the whole game. Also, there are a huge amount of hidden enemies/bosses all over the place. If your worried about variety, don't be trust me.
>>
>>338307826
>that fucking art
It looks so good, man. I already get my fill of cute anime lolis in EO anyway.
>>
>>338307826
It's not even having it portable but I really like to play RPGs in general on handhelds because I can lie down in stupid ways on my couch or bed.
I think handhelds are the kings of comfiness.
>>
>>338307297
It's pretty standard for a dungeon crawler in that regard. There's a decent variety, and the monsters are fairly distinct (barring what are essentially upgraded versions of the same creature, of course.)

The large number of boss-tier monsters is notable, though.

>>338307818
The spellcaster behind the dragon killed half my party with Requiem on turn 3. I don't think I'm going to try wasting time with buffing until it's dead on my next attempt.
>>
>>338307984
Daaamn I really want to play this
>>
>>338304653
I thought anime was the original and they made the characters ugly for the new release?
>>
>>338303530
Is this a first person dungeon crawler like legend of grimrock?
>>
>>338308340

exactly
the art is fucking fantastic
plus you can ever turn it to animu if you really want, having the option to choose was a fantastic idea
im glad the devs went that route
>>
>>338303530
>have to mash through every line of combat text
>if you use the quick action you don't know what happens

Really my only issue with the game. I'll pick it back up sometime.
>>
>>338308526

nope other way around
>>
>>338308531
With turn based combat, more like Etrian Odyssey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvKZmjnrAs
>>
>>338309149
Not a big fan of fpdc (I prefer a top down perspective) but at least there's no tile dancing on this. Mite get it.
>>
>>338307984
I kinda regret getting it for my Vita a week ago but I've always thought that rpgs are the best on handhelds.

Also what the fuck is the point of the bonus point reroll besides making you waste an hour for a +7 roll
>>
>>338310504

no point besides that
>>
>>338303530
I'm so sorry but this is just generic shit.
>>
File: stranger_of_sword_city-3309209.jpg (515 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
stranger_of_sword_city-3309209.jpg
515 KB, 1920x1080
>>338310761
>Generic
Sure, anon, those monsters sure are standard fantasy tropes
>>
>>338310504
If I had a Vita and traveled a lot I might get it for that rather than PC actually. These kind of games let you play a bit at a time while you're away from your primary gaming devices without forgetting the controls or anything since it's just turn based.
>>
>>338310761

you sure are right
>>
>>338304934
Is that a guy?
>>
>ambushing for the first time
>fight some asshole hydra
>that music for a first strike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfiH16VseW0&list=PLOJ9CtP4KcexK3yZ1kKBA6hVcbIAp7C-p&index=10
I'm just a sucker for hymns and chants in vidya music
>>
>>338311584
Yes, yes they fucking are.
Have you even looked at the screen you posted?
That is just some giant with the most arbitrary wow-armor (sick gemstones and glowing eyes inc ofc) standing in a badly executed pseudo-gothic cartoon cathedral.

I am amazed that there are manchildren who drop cash in an instant for that kind of shit.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.