[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the jrpg series with the best writing? Or at least
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Etrian_Odyssey.png (536 KB, 500x449) Image search: [Google]
Etrian_Odyssey.png
536 KB, 500x449
what's the jrpg series with the best writing? Or at least with good writing. I literally haven't found one that doesn't spoon feed the entire story with completely flat characters.

I'm posting EO because the only writing in it is comfy dnd gm shit. and I like that.
>>
>>338291506
depends what you're looking for? Dragon Quest games are the same shit over and over, but it's refined extremely well by now.

Trails in the Sky series is very well received as well. but it's not complete yet.

Shin Megami Tensei (not the persona ones) are darker if that's more your cup of tea.

Realize of course, almost all jrpg have anime tropes by their very nature of being japanese. So if you aren't a fan of them, you're pretty much out of luck
>>
Speaking of EO, been thinking about getting into that series.

I've heard that Untold 1-2 are remakes of the first two games with classic and story modes.

Is there any actual reason to start with the DS versions of 1-2, or are Untold 1-2 considered the definitive versions?
>>
>>338292642
Untold games add a lot of ease of use features and selectable difficulty
The originals will kick your shit in unless you know how to absolutely break the game
>>
>>338292642

Untold 1 and 2 are definitive.
Classic 1 and 2 have a lot of glitches and don't have as many features.
Play on Classic mode, BTW.
>>
>>338291506
Etrian always teaches me a minimum of five words with each games. The localizations really like reaching for uncommon vocabulary.

>>338292642
There's reasons to play the originals and remakes, because some things got lost in the 3DS transition, not to mention the dungeon layouts being different, but for most people, the 3DS remakes set to classic mode are going to be superior. They introduce a lot more usability in the interfaces and exploration, which makes the gimmick the series is known for a lot more pleasant to use. They also have difficulty options, with the game being balanced around the hardest one. Etrian 1 Untold on classic+expert is almost as hard as the original, but is a lot more fair and doesn't have bullshit difficulty spikes if you aren't cheesing things.
>>
>>338293392
The only glitch I remember in either Untold is the item duplication glitch in U1, and that helped you.
>>
>>338292642
I started with Untold 2 then played III to see what the DS games were like. III is definitely worth it, it's not even that old.
>>
>>338293737

I meant that the DS versions were glitchy. Immunize mainly. Other problems like poor balance.
>>
>>338291506

same art as GA art club?
>>
File: DeS.jpg (558 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
DeS.jpg
558 KB, 2560x1600
>>338291506
seriously though try suikoden or something
the .hack series is good if you like weebshit
>>
>>338293965
Nope
Yuji Himukai does the art
GA art club artist does Yggdra union
>>
>the only writing in it is comfy dnd gm shit
If you ignore the weak as fuck cliche shit with Visil and the forest folk, sure.
>>
>>338294148
Suikoden II evokes feelings I didn't even know I had, and the characters are just pixels.
Fucking magic system is fucking fantastic too.
>>
>>338294476
The main plotlines in Etrian games are always basic and bad. It's the narration that saves them.
>>
Thanks for the EO advice guys. I think I'll start with Untold 1 on classic.
>>
Can't wait for EOV f a m
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.