[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate Max Payne 3?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 20160422202350_1.jpg (188 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160422202350_1.jpg
188 KB, 1920x1080
Why do people hate Max Payne 3?
>>
>>338290382
Cutscenes to gameplay ratio
>>
>>338290382
not NYC
>>
>>338290885
Annoying but blown way out of proportion desu
>>
>>338290382
It's liked.
>>
minus the man on fire cutscenes that are essentially unskippable (which makes replaying more or less worthless), it is a great fucking game with an excellent soundtrack
>>
>>338290382
The fact that you can't get that last part of golden RPG on a PC because of a bug
>>
Only console children like Max Payne 3
>>
The good moments are very good, but the bad moments are overwhelmingly bad. The pacing means that you go from shitty part to cutscene to on-rails turret section to cutscene to shitty part to cutscene to "muh baby" to cutscene before the story picks up and there's fun gameplay again.

It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. It's just not particularly great, either, and Max Payne 2 is a much better game.
>>
Because its fucking shit and represents everything wrong with gaming today
>>
>>338290382

It's not noir
>>
Because nostalgia faggots couldn't handle the change of scenery.

I on the other hand think that it was a smart move, displaying the fact that Max and all the issues that plague him aren't just the product of a single bad city.
>>
>>338290382
>play five minutes of gameplay
>cutscene
>10 minutes of gameplay
>cutscene
>enter room
>short pointless cutscene

It's very annoying but I found the game fun regardless.
>>
>>338290382
They do?

I enjoyed it.
>>
>>338290382
Constant interruption of cutscenes.

You don't fuck with the formula of comic book-gameplay-cutscene-gameplay-comic book
>>
Those cutscenes every other doors were some real bullshit.
>>
It felt very detached from the other games. Max Payne 2 was just about as direct of a sequel that you can get, whereas 3 doesn't even bother mentioning Mona's death at the end of the last game.

I think this was effective though, since this game made it clear that we were playing as a Max who had stewed in his depression for quite a few years and was basically a product of all the shit he went through in the first couple games. I don't think there's a better way they could have ended the trilogy, story wise.
>>
Literally as much cutscene as there us gameplay. Possibly the ugliest aesthetic to them ice ever seen to boot and a shit story. Not an aesthetic I like outside of that either. Boring and ugly location choices, if not just straight up bizarre like the stadium.

It felt like a game designed specifically to make its otherwise great gameplay completely unenjoyable. Shit environments and story and ugly as sin.
>>
People have already mentioned the cutscenes, but the single most offensive thing to me was that it was painfully obvious Rockstar didn't give a shit about what happened in the previous games. The ending of Max Payne 2 explicitly laid out that Max had finally come to peace with the death of his wife and child.

And then Max Payne 3 starts with him as an alcoholic mourning his wife, with him throwing expletives around left and right when he almost never (or actually never, I forget) did that in the previous games.
>>
i love it, it has amazing gunplay
>>
>>338292613
But in 3 he doesn't even really bitch about the tragedies that have happened to him. He's a miserable wreck because of his lack of direction, the events of the first two games threw him completely off course, he lost his family and his job. He had literally nothing to do with the eight years in between 2 and 3 other than drink his ass off and develop more bitterness to people around him, and 3 shows that.
>>
The cutscenes were a bit gratuitous, but this had by far the best gameplay, music, voice acting, and story of the whole trilogy. I love it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.