[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Half-Life 3 through a decade by Gabe Newell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 43
File: gn.jpg (156 KB, 1102x674) Image search: [Google]
gn.jpg
156 KB, 1102x674
https://youtu.be/Jt0w9YP_wZ0

lying sack of shit.
>>
I wonder what the fucking hold up is? Its not like it won't instantly print money based on hype alone.
>>
>>338284643
There's no point when DOTA, CS:GO, TF2 and Steam trading cards give them money for doing such little work.
>>
>>338284889
Its been almost 10 whole years, the amount of money the game would make regardless of quality due to its memetic nature would be insane. Then again, we don't get to see the already insane amount of money those schemes are making them.
>>
File: 1430489331325.jpg (197 KB, 927x552) Image search: [Google]
1430489331325.jpg
197 KB, 927x552
>>338284643
>I wonder what the fucking hold up is?
They are not game devs anymore, they are techheads now. They just want to make toys, they've fallen to the same nerd-bug that hit Nintendo around the Wii era, where they lost interest in just making games and got into experimental gimmick tech forever instead.
>>
>>338284537
>>338284643
They won't release it because it can never be as good as the expectations set by everybody.

At the end of the day it's just a fucking shooter.
>>
>>338284643
Valve doesn't work anymore. They found more money in creating a digital economy and freelancing modders to add cosmetics periodically.

To say nothing of the platform becoming bloated and being the most likely candidate to receive games, which they get 30 percent of any sale.
>>
>>338284889
>>338285296
>>338285579
>>338285675
You people are retarded to think HL3 isn't coming out, you think they created Source 2 for no reason? Valve will continue to make games
>>
>>338285296
They're in limbo. It would need to be a near perfect game at this point to satisfy the hype. If they release it and it is sub-par; it would indeed make them a lot of money regardless. But doing so would damage the reputation of the brand. Besides, making a game - especially a good game - is a long term investment. Cosmetics can churn up thousands of dollars for as fraction of the time.

In other words, the safest option for them is just to keep delaying it. The reward of a good game isn't worth the risk of releasing a bad one, particularly whne it costs a fair bit of money to make it anyway. In addition, they have a very profitable business model as is.

>>338285896
I'm not saying they won't ever release it. It's just that they don't really have much reason to right now.
>>
File: aea[1].jpg (403 KB, 600x3000) Image search: [Google]
aea[1].jpg
403 KB, 600x3000
>>338284537
You just know it's gonna happen especially now with nintendo losing originality
>>
>It's a CrowbCat video thread
>>
>>338286034
What kind of hype are you talking about? Orange Box is 10 years in 2017, the hype is long since gone.
>>
>>338286235
You mean to tell that if Half Life 3 was announced tomorrow, we wouldn't see it plastered on the front of every gaming website under the sun? The fact that its reached meme status shows that there is a lot of latent hype hanging on its announcement.
>>
>>338286508
Being a butt of every vaporware joke isn't exactly "latent hype". It's not like people actually believed DNF would come out either.

Same thing was with D44M, in fact, only DNF was released and it was shit while D44M is actually decent.
>>
Isn't valve working on their own VR project? I'm half expecting hl3 to be a showcase game for both that and their new source engine.

But at this point it feels like the half life meme is bigger then the games themselves. I'm not even sure if valve's current audience would even enjoy hl3, seeing as their too used to online only, drip-feed games. A far cry from the single player linear shooter that half life is. They probably wouldn't understand how to solve any of the enviromental puzzles by themselves.
>>
At this points its better to just let it die and only remeber the good things
>>
>>338286508
>>338286896

needs to be a conference with a massive black screen, a pure white door opens in the darkness and G-man steps out walks to the audience and makes another "its been a while, wake up and smell the ashes" monologue

everyone will freak the fuck out

look at FF7 remake and shenmue faggots
>>
Half Life 3 or Episode 3 isn't happening. You'd know if it was fucking happening because someone at Valve would leak it. A leak of just a picture, a few pixels, a line of code, ANYTHING, would be massive in its own right.

Unless gaben is working on it completely by himself, with no one else in his building having any knowledge of it, then it's just a pipe dream at this point. To make a game live up to the hype that HL3 would produce needs a big team of people and you can bet your ass at least 1 would leak something.

Also gaben will die before it ever happens. His morbid obesity has more than likely shaved a good 20-30 years off his life.
>>
File: 1375538796892.jpg (89 KB, 668x500) Image search: [Google]
1375538796892.jpg
89 KB, 668x500
>>338287576
>gaben will die before it ever happens because he's a fat fuck
>>
>>338287576
There are many games long in the making that had been presumed discontinued suddenly resurfacing without any leaks. Hell, TF2 was exactly like that. Also I think Valve did learn a thing or two after the whole HL2 Beta thing.
>>
>>338287745
Probably because if they leaked it, not many people would give a shit. Vaporware hype tends to fall off at some point. HL3 could be vaporware for another decade and people will STILL be talking about it.
>>
>>338287576
But that's been happening. Stuff is found in lines of code of other games
>>
>>338284537
Goddamn, will someone just fucking use mods and create HL3 if they aren't going to?
>>
The very concept of a purely narrative driven single player game has become the antithesis of valves output. If it crates and keys and skins cannot infest every crevice of the game, it's not viable for valve.
>>
tfw gaben will die before hl3 releases.
>>
File: 184006-bigthumbnail.jpg (12 KB, 450x324) Image search: [Google]
184006-bigthumbnail.jpg
12 KB, 450x324
>>338285896
>You people are retarded to think HL3 isn't coming out, you think they created Source 2 for no reason?
Every member of the team left valve at this point. People who wanted to CREATE videogames moved to other companies, the L4D guys went to do Evolve, possibly the biggest let down by a big dev team since Hellgate London and Destiny.

It has been almost 10 years, if you played Half life 1 at the intended age of 18 you possibly don't give a shit, so it is like this sort of meme only FNAF fags, Minecraft autists, and redditors have heard about from their elder brothers, or retards like yourself who want this out of meme value because you are human garbage as the original fans went to do something with their life. I played HL1 when I was 9, I am 28 now. Even the intended audience left.

But I feel like it is my fault for being here, this is just /v/eddit with midly offensive language, not longer a place for vidya.

Kill yourself for God's sake.
>>
>>338284643
source 2
>>
half life 3 is being made, but it will never be finished since Gabe has lost contact with reality and demands it to be a MMO-but-not-really realer-than-real-life everything simulator starring Gordon

also Dota 2 ate up the significant amount of Valve's creative output in its early stages, but since Valve offices are filled with casuals (remember hl2 ep2 commentary about the dude walking in a circle for half an hour?), they got shocked when they realized dota is in essence an extremely competitive game (it is shit, since it's a moba, but it is competitive just because there's no fun to be found in losing no matter what angle you look at it) valve employees dropped it overnight
>>
File: 1441419721118.gif (159 KB, 220x245) Image search: [Google]
1441419721118.gif
159 KB, 220x245
>>338284537
>yfw it finally sinks in that ep2 will forever be the canonical ending to Half Life
>>
>THEY FELL FOR THE HALF-LIFE 3 MEME
>>
Even if the game never comes, someone will eventually post/leak the ending to the series. Probably won't be satisfying, but it'd be something.
>>
>>338290124
>he thinks half life plot isn't made up as they go
listen to the dev commentaries son
>>
>>338290124
People who work at Valve have said before they usually don't make the story until they have good gameplay ideas to build it around, so there might not even be a real ending right now, just ideas in the head of some writer that aren't set in stone.
>>
>>338284643
>I wonder what the fucking hold up is?
Valve itself. Their hippy-dippy way of "everyone works on whatever they want" led to developers that create hats and emoticons all day.

Someone puts a new game mechanic on the white board, some people look at it, decide it takes to much time, and make another set of emoticons instead.
>>
>>338287576
Except there was leaked scripts from the game in a Dota 2 update last year and it wasn't massive at all. People get hyped for a day or 2 and then forget it again. And this was straight from the horse's mouth, compared to a picture which 99.99% of people would dismiss as fake anyway.
>>
>>338287131
No way the game is going to be a "VR game". Undoubtedly it has support for VR headsets for rendering, but no way it's going to use those shitty wiimotes and the fucking teleporting movement system that the lab uses. Not even Nintendo would be that out of touch.
>>
>>338290730
people didn't get hyped because it doesn't really say much
>>
>>338291027
It says that the game is in development. It's more than "a line of code" like the post I replied to.
>>
>>338287576

It's leaked probably a dozen times by now, various game updates have had pieces of code in it and they've straight up shown us L4D in Source 2.

It's out there, somewhere.
>>
There's really no point in doing another half-life at this point
>making tons of money with steam
>HL3 is so hyped at this point there's no way it could do anything but disappoint
>>
>>338291115
it's been the assumption that it's been in development since 2007
>>
>>338284643
There is no point. with Dota 2, CSGO, TF2 and valvedrones giving them money for any turd daddy gaben shits
>>
He already confirmed a year or two ago that Episode 3 was cancelled a long time ago and nothing has even been planned to rekindle it. Something went wrong somewhere and they weren't able or interested in continuing it. Which isn't all that surprising when you consider they make about $20 million per day just on community market shit and CSGO/Dota/TF2 box keys. The most hopeful answer he could give was something along the lines of "If anyone on the team can make a convincing argument to me and everyone else that the effort and resources we'd need to expend on that project were worthwhile and cool, then we'd do it, but so far that hasn't happened". The way Valve is run is more of a hands off kind of thing, Gabe lets everyone explore their own ideas and then if they can get others on board and realistically make it happen, then they do. It's like some sort of hippie art commune or some shit.
>>
>source 2

isnt dota 2 running on source 2 now, since the reborn update? i vaguely remember them promoting it that way.
>>
>>338291467
They wanna release Source 2 as an engine that anybody could use

Kinda like Cryengine and Unreal engine

With the condition of any game developed on S2, will be distributed on steam
>>
>>338291414
It must be great to work there. Like Kruger Industrial Smoothing but with video games
>>
>>338291467
Yeah I think it's been running on it since the mod tools were released for it. Vulkan support soon too. Wish they would give even just 1/10th of the care they give Dota to their other games.
>>
Why would they work on an entire game when they can just be selling you cards and gems and hats for the same profit and a 1/100th of the profit?

Marc Laidlaw left the company, he was the writer of the Half Life series from 2 forward. That speaks miles to me. There's no way Half Life 3 will ever get released.

Honestly, Valve should be merciful and state that they don't intend on releasing Half Life 3 instead of keeping silent while torturing the retarded fans that still think there's a chance.
>>
Have they done anything with Source 2 yet?
>>
If you really wanted Half Life 3, boycott steam.
Boycott steam for one week, absolutely shut down income and demand some sort of answer, and you'll get it.
Will that happen I doubt it, especially cause how may russians and south americans use steam.

They'll never live up to hype, and probably never release the game.
>>
>>338291723
The Dota 2 mod is an update now
>>
>>338285302
>banning someone just because a prediction he made

Amazing moderation guys
And /v/ thinks neofag has bad mods
>>
>>338291639

oh yeah, right.

also yeah, i double checked, dota 2 reborn is the premiere of source 2

releasing it as a public tool is probably taking up a good chunk of their actual manpower (leaving everyone else to make hats and skins)
>>
If doubles HL3 will never be relased.
>>
>>338291706
So what, kojima left knonami and they still have plans for more metal gear
>>
valve doesn't do tech and games anymore

they don't hire programmers, they hire marketers, businessmen, who come up with digusting ideas that don't add anything whatsoever to valve's games, like chemistry sets in tf2 that only exist to print money
>>
>>338291858
It was clearly a joke and probably a single day or less. It's not like a 4chan "ban" is permanent in 90% of cases
>>
>>338284537
Would they even want to make it at this point?
No matter what they make, at this point it'll be a disappointment, it's impossible to live up the the meme fueled hype.
>>
File: nofun.jpg (93 KB, 488x516) Image search: [Google]
nofun.jpg
93 KB, 488x516
>>338291858
what are 30 sec joke bans?
>>
>>338284643
Every time someone makes a fat joke about him on the Internet gabe delays the game by an extra 5 minutes.
>>
>>338291976
>valve doesn't do tech any more

They're writing their own engine, their own operating system, making their own hardware and they created one of the two best selling VR headsets. Are you retarded?
>>
>>338291976
This is actually true. There are more marketers and financial analysts working at Valve than anything else nowadays. Most of the game designers, artists, and programmers all left. They don't have any writers anymore. Just a big crew of IT guys keeping Steam from falling apart and the team of analysts who spend every waking minute trying to plan out Steam sales and the Jewish gimmicks that go along with them like that gem auction.
>>
>steam machine failed
>steam controller failed
>paid mods failed
>steam smart cooking thing failed
>Steam VR about to fail
So many more times until they realise they're not good at doing anything other than making games?
>>
>>338292163
excuse me for forgetting about that steambox flop you released, retarded shill
shouldn't you be making more dota 2 compendiums and steam badges?
>>
>>338292009
mine was
>>
>>338292258
Hats and cards succeed more than enough to keep them afloat.
>>
>>338284537
>muh half life 3
fuck off, it's episode 3
>>
>>338292246
This.

They got obsessed with behavioral economics and behavioral marketing. They just want to find better and better ways to bilk people of their money by feeding into the obsessive compulsive behavior to spend money on the steam store.

No one who wants to do anything creative wants to work at Valve. It's all business school fucks.
>>
>>338285302
>they made it look like a blurry HL logo in the star just to fuck with people
Why are valve such dicks?
>>
>>338292489
that doesn't look remotely like the half life logo
>>
Reminder, Valve has been hinting at half life 3 for a long time

Get hyped for Sony E3

https://youtu.be/UUNGEU2vCu8
>>
>>338292487
I've been more fond of the term "social" although I know it means the same thing as behavioral

Steam is now a social platform where you can also buy games, now hurry up and sell those csgo skins and craft badges and fill our pockets with the profit cuts you little goy
>>
File: hl2.png (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
hl2.png
48 KB, 600x600
>>338284537

am I the only one who doesn't care anymore? I have very fond memories of HL1, opposing force, and multiplayer. but HL2 was incredibly mediocre, why do you even want a sequel?
>>
Why does valve mostly get a free pass for all the cancerous shit they do?
>>
File: 1387519776529.png (2 MB, 1584x2016) Image search: [Google]
1387519776529.png
2 MB, 1584x2016
>>338291858
/v/ was infinitely better even in 2013 than the ocean of sludge it is now.
>>
>>338284537
Pretty obvious they weren't even working on it anymore by 2009 his response exuded no confidence like it did in the 2008 and before.
>>
>>338292712
because manchildren fell for the "half life 2 is the greatest game of all time" meme

and because an arbitrary amount of time has passed, it means that obviously it's no long called episode 3 but instead half life 3
>>
>>338292816
Gabe himself has referred to it as Half-Life 3 which is why it's no longer referred to as Episode 3.
>>
>>338292728
Because they're mostly a PC company.

Valve is more cancerous than Sony and Microsoft but since they release consoles they're automatically worse.
>>
>>338292816
You're underage and didn't play it when it came out.
>>
>>338291414
>The way Valve is run is more of a hands off kind of thing, Gabe lets everyone explore their own ideas and then if they can get others on board and realistically make it happen, then they do. It's like some sort of hippie art commune or some shit.

Are you basing this on that pamphlet found online? I thought that turned out to be untrue and that Valve resembles a traditional company with some oddities (that they can afford).
>>
>>338284537

/v/ just needs to go back to the valve offices.

Last time, they were so awkward they got him to announce Source 2. Literally, the first time Source 2 was ever mentioned was to /v/ on Gabe's birthday.
>>
>>338285579
>They won't release it because it can never be as good as the expectations set by everybody.
Anyone else tired of this meme?

Portal 2 and HL2 Ep 2 were Valve's last singleplayer games and most people agree that they were amazing. If Valve made HL3 a game longer than Ep. 2 but of roughly the same quality I can't see anyone being really disappointed.
>>
>>338293205
wrong on both counts

great work anon
>>
DEAR MR I'M TOO FAT TO FINISH OUR FLAGSHIP GAME

https://youtu.be/9yL204Vk09s
>>
>Adopt a kid
>Gain full custody
>Expose them to radiation
>They get cancer
>Make them use the Make a Wish foundation for Valve to release Half Life 3
There. Done.
>>
>>338293343
but in making ep3 they would be openly choosing to use their manpower on something that would make significantly less money than their current projects would potentially make

i.e. no matter how gud ep3 is it will never make more money than hats and skins and compendium sales.
>>
>>338293558
You have to give a lot of money in support of those foundations for them to give a shit about you.
>>
>>338284537
Imagine being Gabe for a second.
Every fucking day someone ask you have half life.
>>
>>338293558
I don't think Gabe would even do it for an entire orphanage of kids with cancer.
>>
>>338285579
>At the end of the day it's just a fucking shooter.
innovative shooter*
>>
N I N E Y E A R S
>>
>>338292796
They actually are working on it, if that 2015(or was it 2014) leak was correct that reveal there was a team tasked to the development but I think that it's basically a skeleton team just throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks.
>>
>>338293776
You know what I'd do?

Make motherfucking HL3.
>>
>>338284537
I think my favorite thing to see people speculate it what would happen if Valve just casually dropped Half-Life 3 onto Steam with no press whatsoever, and it was a standard fps with some source2 super-gimmick thing that will people salivate from all the TECHNOLOGY

or maybe theyre waiting til source 3 and then all the 3s will converge at once, TF3, Portal3, HL3, L4D3
>>
>>338294192
>Not even a Steam announcement
>It just happens to be there on the bottom of "New Releases"
>>
>>338285579
>it's just a fucking strategy game
>it's just a fucking moba
>it's just a fucking fighting game
>it's just a fucking roguelike
WOW WHAT'S THE POINT IT'S JUST A FUCKING VIDEO GAME

>>338293776
It's his own fault.
>>
>>338294192
>>338294330
What if it's already there?!
>>
>>338294330
yeah and for some totally reasonable price like 30 or 40 bucks.

i wonder if it might actually manage to crash valve's servers
>>
>>338286168
The new pope, since Matomatosis.

At least this on fire with the upload rythm.
>>
>>338284537
These things, they take time.
>>
What would the HL3 announcement even look like? Gabe on stage just laying it down? Would there be rioting?
>>
>>338294715
See
>>338292590
>>
File: 1443159092998.jpg (15 KB, 219x220) Image search: [Google]
1443159092998.jpg
15 KB, 219x220
>>338284537
Let's be real. Any project they might've had with HL3 was killed the exact moment Gaben discovered a way to milk games like TF2, CS:GO and Dota. It's literally effortless and gives them tons of money, not to talk about tournaments, where people throw millions in Valve's pockets.

The only thing I wonder is how long they're gonna milk the machine until it satisfies them? How long until they decide "it's enough" and make up a new project, even if it isn't HL3?
>>
File: scrooge mcduck.png (102 KB, 254x399) Image search: [Google]
scrooge mcduck.png
102 KB, 254x399
>>338284643
They already make more money in one day through selling games (both their own and other people's) and TF2 hats on Steam than you can ever, EVER hope to see in your lifetime. Any money they could make on Half-Life 3 would be a drop in the bucket compared to that.

Really, if a Half-Life 3 was ever going to happen, it would only get off the ground if Valve strictly published it while letting someone else develop it.
>>
>>338286098
>Dorkly
Kill yourself
>>
>>338295220
Meant to use this picture. Sorry.
>>
>>338284537
They got burned out very hard by HL2's disastrous leak. Gaben probably never recovered from that trauma.
>>
>>338291976
>chemistry sets in tf2
I have no idea what this is but I'm fucking sick of TF2.
I haven't even bought Overwatch, nor do I intend to, but I hope Overwatch manages to slay and make TF2 completely irrelevant. The jewery that goes in that game is beyond comprehension.
>>
File: 49kBDAk.png (102 KB, 1428x964) Image search: [Google]
49kBDAk.png
102 KB, 1428x964
Who here hype for Valve RPG
>>
>>338296030
That'll be interesting.
>>
File: 1455535344177.gif (1 MB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
1455535344177.gif
1 MB, 250x233
>watch video
>see august 2012
>he uses it as common joke
>you could even suggest he might ridicule it at some point
if this isn't a sign it's been dumped, i don't know, or a big masterruse.

But i lost hope.
>>
>>338296030
Not Ricochet 2 - not interested
I'm serious btw
>>
>>338296030
I want a full blown RPG with DOTA 2 characters.
JUST GIVE ME MY ALCHEMIST GAME
>>
File: mHhc0g7.png (8 KB, 346x98) Image search: [Google]
mHhc0g7.png
8 KB, 346x98
>>
What did he mean by this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/733049757090877440
>>
>>338284537
haha i hate gabe so much xd
I hate valve so much they suck!! XDD
>>
File: 1410067715493.jpg (31 KB, 500x565) Image search: [Google]
1410067715493.jpg
31 KB, 500x565
Dota needs to die and Steam needs to sell less games

Valve will go oh shit and start developing actual video games again

of course you won't kill an ASSFAGGOTS without nuking every third world country on earth so it's not even worth mentioning
>>
>>338296834
t. Valvecuck
>>
>>338284537
is gabe the sexiest developer alive?
>>
>>338295093
left 4 dead 3 is confirmed in the work though.
>>
>>338296226
Chinese probably already made something like that, you just have to find it in custom games.
>>
File: ahegao3.jpg (409 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ahegao3.jpg
409 KB, 1280x720
>>338289952
>getting raped by aliens
>>
>>338297885
i will make tomoko have this face one day
>>
>>338297942
I made your mom make that face nine months before you were born lad
>>
>>338298018
OH SHIT
>>
>>338297296
>reddit vows to support Valve and sing their praises no matter what for they have gifted the world with Portal, the greatest game of All Time
>Valve realizes this and doesn't even have to try anymore
I hate normies who idolize big time companies and their recycled franchises.
Remember that bullshit where there were people buying Fallout 4, without the means to even play it because their laptop is shit tier, just to 'support' Besthesda for the 'good work' they've done?
>>
>>338290269
No doubt there's an endgame in mind, not finalized, but they probably know what direction they were going in for a conclusion.
>>
>>338298286
the fuck are you talking about
>>
It's clear Valve is going to meme the shit out of the Vive with their next set of releases. Muh Half-Life 3D, Portal 3D, ect...
>>
>>338298018
>>338298140
TOMOKO POSTERS ON RAPE WATCH
>>
>>338298286
>wanted to get fallout 4
>pc couldn't run it
>getting bethseda games on console
>decide to wait
Dodged a fucking bullet with that one, fuck.
>>
>>338298941
They can't possibly be so out of touch they think anyone would want to play a full game with the movement style their tech demo has.
>>
>>338292258

>steam smart cooking thing failed

What-- I've never heard of this? Please explain
>>
File: leredditman.jpg (9 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
leredditman.jpg
9 KB, 320x180
>>338299402
> Implying /v/eddit wouldn't flock to a Portal game in 3D
>>
File: gabenewell.jpg (49 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
gabenewell.jpg
49 KB, 640x360
>>338284537
you can diss whatever you want
you all still love this sexy fat fuck
>>
>>338298941
Nah, that'd be a pretty bad idea. They might have optional modes for it, but a full on exclusive would be suicide for the franchise(s).
>>
>>338299804
Not if you have to do the retarded teleport shit if you want to go further than a meter they wouldn't. Half the game is lost if you change the movement system to work like that.
>>
>>338292590
It would be more funny if it showed up at MS E3.
>>
File: e174ez1.webm (446 KB, 612x460) Image search: [Google]
e174ez1.webm
446 KB, 612x460
I just want Valve to make games again. Valve was the entire reason I got into PC gaming in the first place. The Orange Box was fucking incredible and Portal 2 was the most exciting release I had been waiting for in a long, long time.

I just want them to announce a title, or announce their retirement from games development. They have some of the best writers in the industry doing god knows what for the last decade. Do something with them, or just let everyone know you're done. I'm tried of this shit.

I'm tired of waiting.

I'm tired of speculating.

I just want Valve to make games again.
>>
Valve's in a position where they'll never need to actually work on games anymore to make a bank.

If they're ever going to release episode 3, it'll have to be combined with some new tech or amazing engine or whatever that it would rival what Half-Life 2 was praised for. With the arrival of VR (and being attached to Vive), I imagine this would be the time to develop HL3. There still isn't a real incentive to do so.
>>
>>338287131
A large fraction of the HL1 and HL2 fanbase of the 00's probably doesn't care much about games anymore, as they focus on families / careers / etc
>>
>>338300101
>I just want Valve to make games again
Fucking a this is so right. I just want to listen to those dev commentary again. Those were so fun to listen to.
>>
>Digital vanity items are now subject to extreme taxation
>Gambling laws regarding the crate/key system become much more strict

This needs to happen if you want Valve to actually do something ever again
It'll never happen
>>
>>338293508
what the fuck is this
>>
>>338285302
>that was in 2013
No fucking way. What the fuck.
>>
>>338300000
>>
I'm more concerned with the SteamDB leaks beign real. So far most of the games mentioned have been released, of course all of them being ports of old Japanese games, and Rapture. A few games stuck out, them being EDF 4.1, Journey, and of course HL3. If EDF 4.1 comes out, then that means that a new EDF will be announced for consoles; the Japanese would NEVER keep PC up to date with their games. PC is an invention by the Americans, alongside nuclear bombs. For them to celebrate PC would be for them to celebrate nuclear warfare.
>>
>>338300128
I imagine when they release the full Source 2 editor to compete with UE4/Unity/CryEngine, HL3 is the best possible demo they could have. What kind of self respecting engine doesn't use an FPS as a tech demo? I don't think it'll be VR exclusive or use the motion controllers, that shit's just going to be fatigue central and people will blast them for making a "$860 game". It will obviously support stereoscopic rendering so you can play it with a VR headset though, and maybe include some kind of VR exclusive features.
>>
>>338299828
mmmmm nope
not really
Everytime a new steam patch comes out, it fucks something over
I believe there were a shitload of people upset over steam levels, removal of /me, big picture, greenlight
Way too many things wrong with valve nowadays
>>
>>338291706
And the art director of HL2 quit in like 2005
>>
What's truly sad is that Valve doesn't seem to be interested in making it. While making a profit on a game is understandable, the fact that no one at Valve is getting HL3 going for the most important reason of all, that someone in a creative capacity is pushing for it to exist to at least conclude the storyline, is pathetic and telling of how far Valve has fallen.
>>
File: 1436851186765.jpg (208 KB, 923x633) Image search: [Google]
1436851186765.jpg
208 KB, 923x633
>>338300429
to be fair i wish i could block the last 3 years out of my memory too. 2007 was definitely the point where everything got shittier but 2013 was the last year before GG when everything became like 900% worse
>>
File: 20160520205341804.png (12 KB, 688x218) Image search: [Google]
20160520205341804.png
12 KB, 688x218
Why do they all end up turning
>>
>>338300101

This. It's really fucking sad that Valve is apparently ok with not making games anymore. Im fine with devs who produce very limited amounts of titles (like Rockstar), but the last game Valve made was fucking Portal 2. And yeah I know "lol Dota 2 wtf," that's more product than game.
>>
>>338300883
The emails and that AMA blew Gabe the fuck out so hard they retreated like a few days later that was amazing and also sobering. I know I'm dumb but up until then I had thought that while Valve had some missteps they were still pretty cool. That fiasco revealed who they really were and for some reason the Dota community keeps fucking eating up the compendiums. Its so bad.
>>
>>338300883
Because that wasn't Gabe, and if it was, it was Gabe saying shit based on PR teams coming up with shit on the fly.
>>
>>338301167
>that wasnt gabe
That account represents him, so whoever was using the account is who he's accusing himself to being gabe
>>
>>338284537
He's sick of people asking him about it because it reminds him of his half-life
>>
>>338300883
He's not wrong
>>
>>338300883
I can never tell which post came first here.
>>
File: 1460834028332.png (11 KB, 216x198) Image search: [Google]
1460834028332.png
11 KB, 216x198
How much farther can Valve expand or creep into before they hit a cap, hardpoint, or something else that wakes them up or topples them?

They've always got the PC gaming market to fallback on, always. They can't be uprooted from that. They've got an OS, a console, a controller, a music player, a streaming service, a monopoly on PC gaming, and even their stake in VR. This is while they are 1/10th of something the size of their competitors. No matter how badly fuckups like paid mods, early access, or the Christmas account leak make them look they just retract a bit and keep moving unphased.

Where's the limit? Are they eventually going to be some massive Microsoft level corporation?
>>
>>338300883
I think Gabe is sincere in his idea, but he is simply misguided. If you look back to the video of that /v/ meetup where they went to Valve and talked to Gave on his birthday, he talks a little bit about how to incentivise "good content" creation within a community. This was years before paid mods were introduced. Gabe honestly believes there is a way to place incentives within a community that results in a higher level of creative and worthwhile content.

However, there have been numerous studies to suggest that incentives do not work and have the opposite effect on cognitively complex work. Studies suggest that the higher the reward for simple, hard labor the higher quality job you will receive, but the higher the retard for cognitively complex work (for example, paying someone to solve a puzzle) the less quality performance you will receive. These studies found that in order to get the highest level of creative work out of people, is to remove restrictions and expectations. Incentives do not work.

Still, Gabe understands that there are definitely creative people out there who could contribute greatly to the community whose only problem is that they do not have the time/money to contribute. If they could make money off their work, they could in turn devote more time to their work. Gabe wants to solve THAT problem. But the problem with adding incentives, is that people ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS try to find out how they can put in the least amount of effort for the highest level of reward.
>>
>>338285296
Most big AAA company has that kind of money, but produces shit. Shit son, money isn't the issue.
>>
File: 1452500830987.jpg (126 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
1452500830987.jpg
126 KB, 480x608
>>338301657
>but the higher the retard for cognitively complex work

Well there goes that post
>>
File: tl;dr ur ass.png (47 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
tl;dr ur ass.png
47 KB, 666x666
Me and Gabe567 tlk on the wired every day in out VR chatroom and he told me that his devs rather make more hats. He is pretty sad because he said hal-life was his life and that it's such a shame that his employees don't want to work on it.
>>
>>338284643
mever underestimate the power of marketing man, people have hyped up half life 3 more than the second coming of jesus
>>
File: 20160520210413670.png (14 KB, 836x179) Image search: [Google]
20160520210413670.png
14 KB, 836x179
>>338301657
People change
Gabe only cares about money now, maybe that's all he ever cared about but now he's all underpay and overcharge
>>
>>338301540

Valve's always had a unique recruiting policy and way of working. Practicing both would get extremely difficult if their employee count was to be raised.
>>
>>338300101
>They have some of the best writers in the industry

Marc Laidlaw left, man.
>>
>>338300780
I wish I could see the replies to this
>>
>>338301274
I know that, but everything he replied was PR bullshit. He could have simply given the login details to a PR guy and had him write on his behalf. It's not like there is a webcam and he's doing the AMA.
>>
>>338301901
don't bring dota stuff into /v/ it just triggers the children

but yes it was bullshit that they fired james like that and explained it in such a false way
>>
File: 1430046870366.jpg (4 MB, 4408x5000) Image search: [Google]
1430046870366.jpg
4 MB, 4408x5000
>>338300883
>>
>>338301931
Wolpaw shits all over Laidlaw
>>
>>338301901
who's james?
>>
>>338302191
That may be, but Laidlaw leaving is only a sign that Wolpaw and Chet whatshisface probably aren't doing a fucking thing but writing for DOTA shit.
>>
File: 1434124897632.jpg (948 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1434124897632.jpg
948 KB, 1000x1000
>>338284537
Half Life 3 isn't coming out simply due to the huge expectations people will have when it is announced. Valve would suffer a huge negative PR if they released anything but an unrealistic 10/10 GOAT game, a PR even worse than not releasing it plus what else they are doing now.

They are playing it safe and simply keep doing what nets them profit, which is manage steam and update their current three games. They have no need to take the risk of releasing HL3.

A lot of people bash them for not releasing games anymore, but I really appreciate what they are doing by pushing VR and other technologies. It's always nice to see technology advance.

I guess the only real way HL3 ever got released (by Valve) was if Valve was in a huge decline and had to go back to being a game dev, which isn't really happening.
>>
>>338302282
A dota caster
>>
>>338302401
which one I watch dota but don't subscribe to casters
>>
>>338302282
An ass
>>
>>338302282
an ass, and we won't be working with him again
>>
>>338302156
I still don't get what the problem was. People can release mods for free and see which modders are jews or not even use mods on steam.
>>
File: Kerrigan-Sarah.jpg (72 KB, 1059x686) Image search: [Google]
Kerrigan-Sarah.jpg
72 KB, 1059x686
>mfw fags think 10 years is a long time to wait for a sequel
>>
>>338284643
Valve employees are busy sitting in beanbag chairs and playing ping pong. They should just sell the licensing on half life for a fuck ton of money, and let that developer get shit on when it isn't the end all be all of vidya. Atleast then this whole fucking thing would be over.
>>
>>338284643
It's the entire structure of the company.
As it turns out, having a company where anybody can work on anything whenever they want is actually completely fucking retarded and makes it so nothing ever gets done.
Theres no reason for anyone to push through and make something that requires work like HL3 when they can just sit for years raking in the steambucks, dotabucks, TF2bucks, and so on.
>>
>>338302462
he's the one who talks incredible amounts of shit, a true banterlord
>>
>>338302534
Because the real shit of the paid mods was just to make more money for Valve under the guise of aiding the community. There were numerous people who asked "why not just put a donation function?" Which was NEVER answered and would've solved the whole dilemma. People were stealing other people's content and putting it in their mods, there was zero quality control, it tore the modding community apart.
>>
>>338302672
so he is an ass in person or an ass when casting? there is a difference because vanilla casters are boring. MORE PROFANITY! MORE SHITTING ON!
>>
>>338302653
This. Also the fact that Gabe doesn't recognize his mistakes and is afraid of changing shit to not appear two faced.
>>
>>338302792
probably both

he seems like a top lad desu
>>
>>338302534
You know how companies nickle and dime us with DLC now? That was the end goal with paid mods and they did not even hide it
>>
>>338302362

>update their current three games

This is the funniest part in your post. It's both false and true at the same time.

Take Dota 2 for example, they release a major patch every 6 months and the roster, after how many fucking years, will most likely be finished early Fall this year, if they keep up to their habit of releasing a new hero every ~10 months. They're barely working on these games.
>>
>>338302534
It was terrible for the modding community, which you may or may not give a shit about but it was a big deal to them. If they really cared about helping support modders they could have simply added an easy to use donation button for mods on the steam workshop. They never addressed this point which was brought up multiple times.
>>
File: dukex-large.jpg (59 KB, 490x519) Image search: [Google]
dukex-large.jpg
59 KB, 490x519
>Ctrl+F
>No mention of DNF

Motherfuckers, when HL3 is released and turns out to be a disappointing tech demo, i want you to remember this post.
>>
>>338302628
When you announce there will be 3 episodes, and then leave off from episode 2 with a huge cliffhanger, it's a long time, not the longest, but given the situation, we've been made to wait too long. I've pretty much given up on it, I don't even click on the bait hl3 rumor articles anymore. Until I see gaben himself be wheeled out onto the e3 stage and announce it, the game could cease to exist for all I care.
>>
>>338302908
I wasn't really mentioning the quality of the updates, you see. Shoving in a bunch of community made items for close to no effort which would gain them a huge amount of profit could be regarded as an update, which is the only thing TF2 ever receives these days, and when it does (although I have hopes for the competitive update). I'm fairly sure that sort of updates are prevalent in Dota and CSGO.
>>
When's the last time Valve even made a game, anyways?
>>
1. HL series is dogshit

2. It's probably in development for VR purposes and also a release for all consoles
>>
>>338302971
Did you pay for winrar and did you give a donation to the guy who made adblock?
I'm all for donations but to say that they hold the same level of incentive as an actual purchase is ludicrous.
>>
>>338302792
He bants pretty hard when casting. I think the problem here was messaging. Apparently some Valve guy at the event had it out for him from day one, and probably ran to daddy Gabe because he couldn't handle the bants. I don't think James and Gabe ever really met in person.
>>
>>338303140
Guranteed they're working on all this amazing tech for the game, but then when it releases they'll be like "oh shit we forgot to make it fun..." And I will remember this post, and you will be the nostradamus of this century.
>>
Xen in HL1 is the best part in the series
>>
File: 2gd eternalenvy con.jpg (176 KB, 1294x854) Image search: [Google]
2gd eternalenvy con.jpg
176 KB, 1294x854
>>338302672
>>338302792

He did this. One of the best moments in the tournament, however because EE is a massive autist with no sense of self irony, he threw a fit and got 2GD removed.
>>
>>338303140
BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS
>>
>>338303536
EE didn't give a shit, he's a jobber to the core
Not our guy, but close enough
>>
>>338303536
EE is so shit he got booted from C9 after the longest run. Nobody wants him and he's worse than RTZ.
>drops rapier as AM in TI5 ruining the teams chance at anything
fuck EE
>>
>>338303583
get off vent or i'll have you bent
>>
>>338303182
The way Gabe does this really makes me dejavu.
At first, college, school, all worth giving passion to. Then it strucks you "its not worth it".

Biggest difference that is finishing HL3 is not a duty or obligation for Gabe.
>>
You guys are fucking retarded.

Of course Half-Life 3 will come out, it will just be VR. Why do you think Valve is investing so much into VR? Anyone with half a brain realized this as soon as Valve announced their partnership with HTC.

I'd be willing to bet Half-Life 3 has been through multiple internal revisions/re-writes since so much has happened with the company in the past ten years. They have the resources at their disposal to make some of the best games. Valve has long been known to push the envelope, they're going to do it with VR.

I'd say within 3 years tops it will be out.
>>
>>338303841
everyone's retarded
>>
>>338303841
That's what they said about Steam OS, Steam Machines, Steam Link, Steam Controller, etc.
>>
>>338303140
>implying HL2 wasn't a disappointing tech demo
>>
>>338303841
Except Chet literally said last year that HL3 will not be a VR game.

Of course it will have stereoscopic rendering because that comes with the engine, but there's no way they're going to make a 10+ hours game with the stupid teleport-to-move shit and fucking wiimote-tier waggling that is the current Vive input method.
>>
File: 1463308883557.png (913 KB, 879x705) Image search: [Google]
1463308883557.png
913 KB, 879x705
>>338302672
>>
>>338304030
It wasn't
>>
>>338284537
stop shilling your videos here
>>
Derek Smart autism levels
>>
>>338303841
>Hl3 announced, but is VR only
Instantly dropped, I would care less than I do now
>>
>>338304295
Why? They're good videos
>>
File: 145710.png (60 KB, 365x336) Image search: [Google]
145710.png
60 KB, 365x336
It makes me so fucking sad seriously.
>>
>>338284537
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9RjDRLBWio
blame these fuckers for always throwing money at valve for stupid shit like this
>>
>>338302534
>I still don't get what the problem was.

Bethesda developed games are literally inoperable without mods. If paid mods went through, you'd have to pay for a mod that allows you to run your game on a computer that has something besides a dual core.

Speaking of Bethesda, noticed how the DooM reboot has been confirmed for having no mod support? That's because Bethesda would not profit from these at all. And once more, Bethesda popularized the idea of cosmetic DLC, which would normally have been done via mods. DLC is the reason why so many games have minimal modding support.
>>
>>338293867
What's can be done then that hasn't been done before?
>>
>I'm not saying anything about the other things we haven't talked about
>>
>>338284537
>so fat he barely even has a neck

You'd think he would do something about his weight with all the money he makes.
>>
Was never huge on half life but I kind of check in on the situation here and there because I do like valve and I'll say I always thought this was some bullshit. Just watched the video and didn't realize how bad it really was with the whole half life 3 and 2's episode 3 shit. Wtf gabe.

If ever released at all he will probably package them together and charge a fortune.
>>
>>338305524
>literally
>inoperable
Also remember Fallout 4? Bethesda made so much profit from all those mods. Oh and since ID is a part of Bethesda now means that we pretend that evil Bethesda didn't even let ID touch the new DooM and made it so nobody could make a single mod for it.
>>
File: Dota river.jpg (844 KB, 2792x1395) Image search: [Google]
Dota river.jpg
844 KB, 2792x1395
>>338301657
Yeah nah

>1k+ dollars for a line of command you could imput in dota 1
>>
File: 1449784978110.png (1 MB, 1050x1050) Image search: [Google]
1449784978110.png
1 MB, 1050x1050
>>338285296
The amount of money they could potentially make from HL3 is pittance compared to the revenue generated from retards who buy hats and skins. That's even with people buying it purely for memery (which you totally overestimate, cf. Duke Nukem Forever).
>>
File: 1463093886632.jpg (2 MB, 2032x4889) Image search: [Google]
1463093886632.jpg
2 MB, 2032x4889
>>338307717
>>338284537
>>
>>338307717
And in the next thread we will compare making 3D models in 1995 and 2015.
>>
>>338284537
it's obvious between 2007 and 2008 something happened that put the game in indefinite hold
>>
File: cs.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cs.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>338308118
>>338308101

Are you serious?

All the command does is to change the color of the river

Nothing else
>>
>>338284537
It's never comming out and it is your fault for being a whining, entitled cunt.
>>
>>338284537

>that gt microphone

Well that takes me back
>>
>>338301524
Gabe's comment came first.
>>
File: 1460895435161.jpg (34 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1460895435161.jpg
34 KB, 500x374
>>338301932
Just type the first words of the first sentence and let Google do its magic
>>
>>338308682
Revolver pre-patch was fucking fun to use.
>>
>>338284643
He's so greedy that even massive profits won't cut it anymore.
>>
File: .jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>338284537
>it's another crowbcat shills his video thread
>>
>>338302534
essentially the opposition boils down to 'hey i don't want the possibility of modders deciding they should be paid for their work'. there was nothing wrong with it really.
>>
>>338313805
take your shallow, simplistic principles and fuck off you retarded libertarian
>>
>>338314669
yes, the idea of being paid for your work is a simplistic principle. the fact you are an entitled child and you want everything for free does not mean it's bad.
>>
>>338315140
it's not a good thing and results in garbage
if the modders want money they can do something else
>>
>>338303536

James got fired for making porn jokes and making fun of the production

That's a big no in China, which Valve will have to bow down to.
>>
>>338284537
The reason Episode 3 is fucked is because Gabe wanted a brand new engine for it. It was going to be HL3, effectively. Physics is what's always defined the HL engines.
But then Crysis came out and it was better than anything on the drawing board. It made the few really talented devs impotent and the firm changed its focus towards Steam publishing and secondary IPs like TF2/L4D/Portal 2.
>>
>>338315365
it results in garbage which we know because of the long and storied history of paid mods. this is in contrast to unpaid mods which are universally perfect and aren't 1 in a 1000 in terms of good quality.
>if the modders want money they can do something else
yes, punish the people making content we use into leaving. this is a sensible strategy.
>>
>>338301805

I honestly can't imagine someone replying TO THE FUCKING GABE NEWELL that they'd rather make hats than work on his life's project.

You're been talking to an impostor.
>>
>>338315747
>it results in garbage which we know because of the long and storied history of paid mods.
everything released was garbage
the model of distribution fundamentally makes it garbage because you're paying real money for some slapped-together modification of an already existing game with zero support
>yes, punish the people making content we use into leaving
why would they leave over not getting paid when they haven't been getting paid in the first place for the last 50 years
>>
> use Steam
> even pay for unfinished games
> wait for HL3
>>
>>338284537
why do you autists keep pretending Valve is a game developer?

Valve is a software distribution company. Period. They only create games as a means to push their distribution platform. They have achieved 100% saturation. They are not going to make HL3.

Besides, Half-Life games are mediocre, linear shooters. If you played those games for the first time today, you would be completely underwhelmed.
Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.