[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think it is alright to show insane & brutal violence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Do you think it is alright to show insane & brutal violence in video game (torture, burning, shoot to death etc.), but remove every form of sexuality and drug abuse? Hell, violence and the most brutal kill even get rewarded and celebrated. (see Hitman & Tomb Raider etc.)

Even the bad guys don't smoke and drink anymore and sexuality&anything to do with it is almost as bad as murder.
>>
>>338260503
Hatred.
>>
File: 1442334564693.png (42 KB, 1585x1527) Image search: [Google]
1442334564693.png
42 KB, 1585x1527
>>338260527
d-did you even read the OP?
>>
>>338260503
>Hitman
>rewarding brutality
Here's your reply.
>>
>>338260623
Yes.
>Do you think it is alright to show insane & brutal violence in video game
And my response is simple: Hatred.
>>
>>338260503
D44M too. One of the few rare times I've seen the press tell sarkesian to bugger off instead of wallowing in her diatribe. Pretty much though, you've seen a very obvious shift as of late by game devs to respond to the whining, and on top of it when they do include a lady they make her ultraviolent, look at ACS with what's her face snapping arms all over the place.
>>
>>338260952
true
>>
>>338260503
Western society for the last few decades since the end of the second world war has been in a period of transition. Values are changing and the ideas of what can and can't be said by publicly marketed products is still largely up in the air. Is there immense absurdity and hypocrisy in what is considered 'acceptable'? Of course there is but keep in mind the movie 'industry' is less than a hundred years old, the video game industry is even younger. Look at the medium of literature, as it evolved throughout history you had book burnings and public condemnations, but who cares what is written in the year 2016?

Again, you can see the hypocrisy and absurdity. In short, you should just kick back, relax, find the gems in the pile (usually made by the more independent creators for niche groups) and wait for this somersaulting whirlpool of values to straighten itself out again.

This is a weird time in history to be alive, in 500 years this period will literally be summed up by the first world war occurring and throwing everything human beings thought they knew and valued on its head and the next 100 years being us straightening these ideas out.
>>
I think it's hypocritical to endorse one and supress the other
The West is all for gore but shits itself at nudity, Japan is the exact opposite that censors blood and shit but doesn't really care about panties. Even though lately cero has been shitting the bed a lot more often, which is the reason smash has voids instead of panties

humanity is fucking stupid
>>
>>338260503
I don't support censorship but I don't think that's a matter of it as much as it is nobody thought to put it in. Fallout had those types of subjects because the setting was world focused.
>>
>>338260503
No
Censorship doesn't belong into digital media/internet, it's the same doublethink as war.

>hey let's go to war! winner keeps all, loser loses all!
>hardmode: You can't use weapons I don't like so I have zero chance to lose.
>>
>>338261219
>(usually made by the more independent creators for niche groups)
Eh, most of them are pretty shallow imitations, imo, usually because they either lack the resources or the experience/skill to take it the extra mile. Opinions and all that of course.
>>
>>338260503
Welcome to any Americanized medium.
>>
>>338260503
My favorite is when Mortal Kombat having more realistic female bodies was considered good.
>>
>>338261949
Another reason why literature was able to push its boundaries so far, it's usually just a one man project so even with public condemnations against a work it was still possible to get your hands on it if you were so inclined.

Mediums like videogames and movies are a team based effort unfortunately and due to the reasons mentioned here >>338261219
finding a large team of human beings with similar mental boundaires (which will need to be funded by a publicly accessible organization, you can see another problem here) will be difficult as humanity continues to iron out its moral issues.
>>
>>338261219
this makes kind of sense
>>
File: 1462060843045.png (362 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1462060843045.png
362 KB, 700x700
>>338260503
>Hitman
>violence and the most brutal kill even get rewarded and celebrated
Sage for retardation
>>
>>338262274
>humanity continues to iron out its moral issues.
Humanity isn't ironing out squat. Nothing is changing, none of these outburst result in any meaningful change of thought or function on society or humanity outside of instilling arbitrary taboos that are worked around as has repeated throughout periods of history. There is no evolution only lateral change. Humans do not change and as a function society does not either. You think war has decreased and we've become more peaceful? No, we've become more efficient, now we don't NEED to send a 1000 foot soldiers we can just send one bombardier for the same effect, and we don't even need to man those. Abstraction and obfuscation to cover up things with """""""NEW""""""" morality doesn't mean squat. We're still killing for the same old reasons, we've just found new ways to lie to ourselves and others. This applies on all levels of society - it's just a byzantine tapestry of excuses to control others and get away with what you want. Culture is war, nations are war, living is war, etc. We're the same. We just keep arbitrarily assigning labels of good and bad to shape things to our individual convenience and seeing what sticks. Nothing is being sorted, sorting implies there is a correct order or form, we are simply rearranging things as always.
>>
>>338262032
true
>>
>>338263337
Do you really believe that is the case?

For just one example of change look to our perception of children today.

The mentioning of children in history typically coincides with categorizing them as less than human, evil and bestial. Throughout history infanticide was common and was not given a second thought. Throughout the last 70 years more and more attention has been given to children in regards to abuse in its many forms as humanity has learned that the key to creating functional adults is to understand the adaptability of children to an abusive environment.

Violence rates in first world countries? At an all time low in history, which seems crazy at first if you watch the evening news every night but it is in fact true.

Basic human rights? Treating women in the same way you would treat men? Look to the past century for the mounting of those great hurdles.

As for your point of war, of course our killing is more efficient. Keep this in mind, most first world countries now have the capability to inflict the same amount of casualties that took the second world war to create from 1941 - 1945 in about an hour. Mind boggling isn't it? Yet where are the 10 million dead?

“The day when two army corps can annihilate each other in one second, all civilized nations, it is to be hoped, will recoil from war and discharge their troops.” - Alfred Nobel

This is the first time in history where this quote is slowly becoming a possible reality.
>>
Could not give less of a shit. I really don't pay attention to details like that
>>
>>338260503
>>
>>338260503

The simple answer is that censorship (hard or "soft"/cultural censorship) of any kind is retarded. That said, having violence or sexuality ina thing for no reason other than doing so is less stupid but still stupid.

A designer or artist should be allowed to express their vision without concern for feedback from users who would not have supported the product anyway.
>>
>>338263941
hmm
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.