[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like Witcher 3 again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9
File: Why is this allowed.jpg (850 KB, 5380x1348) Image search: [Google]
Why is this allowed.jpg
850 KB, 5380x1348
Why do people like Witcher 3 again?
>>
>>338256434

The same reason people liked TLoU and praised it as some genre defining game

The same reason people loved Fallout 3 and Skyrim

The same reason Dragon Age Inquisition has more GoTYs than Planescape, VtMB, OoT, Deus Ex etc

Gaming has gone to shit and gamers have shit taste.
>>
File: jY7fTOO.jpg (693 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
jY7fTOO.jpg
693 KB, 1920x1080
>>338256434

because it's a great game famalam, but it's not for everyone and i respect your right to dislike it

a lot of people find grievance with the combat and movement, but most people find the overwhelming positives to outweigh the few negatives
>>
>>338256434
>all of them

bait for the bait god
>>
>>338256434
Because people are casual faggots who's ideal of RPG(and any other genre really) is interactive movie with boring filler combat in between.
>>
>>338256434
Playing it right now, the world and visuals are letting me overlook stupid shit like this. The main gripe is how clunky the combat, animations and movement is. Playing this after Dark Souls 3 really shows how goddamn good the gameplay is in that game.
>>
>>338256571

>but most people find the overwhelming positives to outweigh the few negatives

Such as? Writing wise it's fine but most people don't have decades of source material to draw from.

Story wise it was underwhelming and never amounted to more than "Geralt finding Ciri and stopping le wild hunt", they threw in the White Frost sure but it significantly impacted the pacing of the final act to the point where they didn't even explain as to how Ciri defeats it.

Gameplay wise? I assume you agree the combat is at best, serviceable (fair enough, no hyperbole from me, I won't call it "shit" like most because I don't think it's outright shit) so what other combat does the game have? Let's take Planescape torment, that games combat sucks but the extensive dialogue system, branching narrative paths and overall variety in builds/morality/playstyles makes up for it, Witcher 3 doesn't have this. So exactly what else about the gameplay makes up for the combat? You get around 2-3 dialogue options on average (Varying from the same "Yes, No and Sarcastic" nonsense people shat on FO4 for having). This is due to the voiced protagonist.

Visually the game is stunning for an open world game (tech wise I think GTA V is considerably more impressive but that does have a half a billion dollar budget) but is that the main defining feature? Graphics? Does that make Battlefront a fantastic shooter?

The game to me is just another watered down AAA game with tits everywhere for "le matyooore" crowd.
>>
>>338256818
>Because people are casual faggots who's ideal of RPG is interactive movie with boring filler combat in between.

so... every rpg?
>>
>>338256820

> stupid shit like this

Quest structure =/= stupid shit

Wew lad
>>
>>338256945
Was your first RPG Oblivion or you're oldschool casual faggot and it was Final Fantasy VII?
>>
>>338256984
>hold button to activate super vision

This is getting kind of old.
>>
File: Forever relevant.png (54 KB, 1361x290) Image search: [Google]
Forever relevant.png
54 KB, 1361x290
>>338256921

Eh, I don't agree with the people who praise it as the best RPG ever made (whenever I hear that all that tells me is that they haven't played many RPGs) but it's a pretty fantastic game that released in a time of mediocrity.

Pic related will always be relevant to Witcher 3 threads
>>
>>338257070

That's exactly my point?

I thought you meant "stupid shit" as in it's a minor problem.
>>
>>338256434
The problem is that Geralt is supposed to have better senses than regular humans, so this design is the only way to get it across.
>>
Combat when its one on one with an opponent that is in your level range (monsters from contract quests, HoS bosses) is quite enjoyable.

Group combat (wolves, drowners, bandits) is annoying as fuck.
>>
File: 143524523.jpg (96 KB, 800x437) Image search: [Google]
143524523.jpg
96 KB, 800x437
>>338257151
>doesn't include the Souls series in 'fanbases that overblow how good their game is"
>>
File: grsghsh43.jpg (297 KB, 834x1180) Image search: [Google]
grsghsh43.jpg
297 KB, 834x1180
>>338256921

never really thought about specific things about what i liked about TW3 before, it's more of a general impression or feeling after having played it for hundreds of hours

i guess i love the atmosphere, the immersion, the voice acting, the world building, the interactions between characters, how they make tiny villages and big cities seems alive and lively, amazing side quests etc.

i actually enjoyed the combat quite a bit, but i went pretty much straight sword builds with little to no reliance on magic or potions, i like dodging and rolling more as it feels more active, i wish there was a parry/riposte mechanic like in DS games though, combat has a lot of room to grow

i agree that there are many quests that rely on "detective vision" and the witcher contracts get somewhat repetitive, but the overall quality of the major quests in the game just blew me away

the main story in vanilla suffered from being rushed in the last half and it being "Ciri centric" probably took away some of the potential it had, Hearts of Stone remedied that quite well

i also loved hanging back and chilling with Gwent when i needed a break from questing, there's lots of little distractions from the main quest line which i enjoyed

idk, to me it's one of the best games i've ever played, but i'd never claim it's perfect, or that everyone should feel obliged to love it
>>
File: drowners fucking shits.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
drowners fucking shits.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>338257235
>implying
there's no better feel than wiping a bandit's encampent
>>
File: witness me.jpg (71 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
witness me.jpg
71 KB, 600x656
This is literally AC Unity "THIS IS A WARDROBE" levels of bad

Don't people continuously praise this games quests? Who cares how well written they are if they play like that.

>tfw no RPG comes close to Oblivion in terms of quest design/variety
>>
Story and graphics.

I feel like witcher 3 fans would've been happier with an HBO series instead of this "game".
>>
>>338257401
The sense of accomplishment comes after, not during the act itself.
>>
>>338257361
>how they make tiny villages and big cities seems alive and lively

brain fart, but you know what i mean, i was really impressed with Novigrad, holy shit what a game-city
>>
>>338257348

Souls games are pretty GOAT games tho anon. The worst in the series (DS2) is still better than 99% of games
>>
>>338256434
console wars
>>
File: 154334535.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
154334535.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>338257472
>proving his point
>>
>>338257472

i preferred Dragon's Dogma over any Souls game tbqh, i love the combat in Souls and how you feel after killing bosses or mastering combat vs certain enemies after a lot of trial and error, but the combat isn't all that great, the atmosphere is usually nice, but i feel a lack of immersion and i prefer games that has more story "in your face" or as DS fanbois would call me "a spoonfed baby"

idk, i love all these games for different reasons and i don't get the thought process that goes behind hating certain games so much which you see around /v/ all the time
>>
File: Supreme haircut.png (2 MB, 1143x845) Image search: [Google]
Supreme haircut.png
2 MB, 1143x845
>>338257361

>never really thought about specific things about what i liked about TW3 before

Fair enough, I also felt similar things and it's definitely an above average game. Just a really watered down above average game in my personal opinion.

>i guess i love the atmosphere etc

I won't argue with most of these because they are pretty subjective (and I agree with a lot of them, the characters are faithful to the source material but like I said, CDPR did have a fuckload of source material to pull from) but I do disagree with the quests. To me, fantastic quest design is not only how well written it is but also the gameplay. Take Oblivion for example (I know it's a meme to hate anything Bethesda on /v/ but even /v/ agrees the quests are simply fantastic).

>i actually enjoyed the combat quite a bit

I definitely disagree with the hyperbole surrounding the combat but I can relate with the complaints. The combat isn't shit, it's just too limiting and uninspired, games like Dragons Dogma proved how RPGs can have fun, interesting and challenging combat systems. W3 is definitely a step up form W1 and W2 tho, combat wise.

>i agree

I'm glad

>the main story in vanilla suffered from being rushed in the last half

Yes, I definitely heard about this. Didn't CDPR patch in more dialogue for Triss/Yennefer or something? I think Emyhr would have benefitted from it more, he was also terribly rushed.

>to me it's one of the best games

And i'm not hear to change that opinion at all. The image in here >>338257151 perfectly describes why people dislike and like Witcher 3. It's a totally faithful adaption of a well loved franchise, it's not hard to see why many love the games. I'm just having some civil discussion on why I personally don't see how it can merit such "bold" claims like "Best RPG ever".

Props though, you argued your points well without resorting to any insults and I agree with a lot of what you said, I just don't share the same love for this game as you do.
>>
>Be superhumand
>find a mystery
>use superhuman ability to overcome easily mystery
>fucking hell, shitlord, why are you superhuman!
>>
>>338257924

definitely agree with you on the fantastic combat in Dragon's Dogma, especially climbing large monsters etc.

Witcher is probably a bit limited in that scope because of the inherent nature of the Witcher and his abilities

even Dragon's Dogma with the variety between each class got pretty repetitive after a while though, spamming brain splitters on striders, thousand kisses on assassins etc.

i wish we could get some sort of weird blend between Witcher 3, Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.