[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this worth $13?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: galciv3.jpg (61 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
galciv3.jpg
61 KB, 460x215
is this worth $13?
>>
>>338247105
Get stellaris instead
>>
>>338247148
but that's a terrible fucking idea

stellaris is just a buggier version of CK in spaaaaace with cancerous tech research
>>
>>338247148
reasoning plz? Genuinely curious
>>
>>338247215
For a newly released 4X game its really good. It wont stand up in comparison to the older 4X games in content right now because it hasnt been updated nearly as much, but given time its going to be far better than any of them. The base systems in place are intuitive and well done, and you dont get that overwhelmed feeling you do playing most 4X games that drop you nose deep in shit and expect you to either 1. figure it all out yourself or 2. force you to automate everything so its boring as shit.

Plus it looks pretty.
>>
>>338247105
if your into 4x games yeah if your also into sci fi then fuck yeah

plus you can activate a devmode and cheat if you can't do 4x games but still love them like me
>>
>>338247213
>stellaris is just a buggier version of CK
No its not, its not buggy or a GSG

>cancerous tech research
You are objectively wrong if you think a non linear research tree is a bad thing.
>>
>>338247328
>4x
Hardly.
It's grand strategy in spaaaaace for casuals with a god awful technology research system.

And it's being sold for forty fucking dollars with dozens of overpriced DLC yet to come.
>>
>>338247515
Then you have no clue what a 4X or GSG is and I have nothing to say to you
>>
>>338247213
It's nothing like CKII.

It's a stripped down version of Galactic Civilizations with less than half of the features
>>
>>338247380
>non-linear research tree
It's actually very linear, but you can't fucking choose what you want to research because of RNG so it might feel otherwise.

I love picking from a few retarded tech choices that don't flow naturally at all from my previous research choices

SoTS is a great example of a randomized tech tree that keeps player choice paramount, rather than picking from a few random tech cards over and over until you get the upgrade you want.
>>
>>338247105
How does it compare to GalCiv II?
>>
>>338247719
>It's actually very linear, but you can't fucking choose
Make up your mind shitposter, or dont, I dont care.
>>
>>338247594
>it's not a grand strategy game!
Explore a vast galaxy full of wonder! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series presents Stellaris, an evolution of the grand strategy genre with space exploration at its core.

Taken directly from their official description on their steam page.
>>
>>338247828
I don't think you understand what the word linear means.
>>
>>338247719
>SoTS is a great example of a randomized tech tree that keeps player choice paramount
SoTS tech tree is absolute fucking rubbish, you can minmax the shit out of it.

Get the fuck out.

>>338247837
And game developers say their games are good and worth money, do you believe that too?

Idiot.
>>
>>338247864
See >>338247828

>>338247837
>they say its X so it must be!
Yeah no. Stellaris doesnt have the same features that make a GSG a GSG, so its not a GSG. It doesnt matter what Paradox, you, or anyone else says.
>>
>>338247837
Grand Strategy isn't even a real genre, it's more like a family of games. Stellaris is a 4X that calls itself a grand strategy, but there is little reason you couldn't say all 4Xs are Grand Strats because no-one knows what a Grand Strategy game even is, to most people it's just "strategy games made by Paradox".
>>
>>338247719
>SoTS is a great example of a randomized tech tree
I think you mean a shit example. SoTS has a lot of strengths but its tech tree isnt one of them.
>>
>>338247954
I did see that post, it was the one I replied to.

Are you by any chance clinically retarded?
>>
>>338247828
It has clearly defined prerequisites like any other linear tech tree, except being able to research the next thing is given as a choice to you as a randomized matter of time rather than it being locked off.

>get red lasers
>23 hours later
>wow, I can finally get blue lasers because RNG served it as a choice!
>>
>>338247105
>fell for this meme and bought IT for $60 near release

JUST
>>
>>338247719
>SoTS is a great example of a randomized tech tree that keeps player choice paramount
You are a huge retard if you think that.
SotS could give you everything or nothing, leaving you with point defense lasers and nothing else for instance, with basically no possibility to ever get it.
Where the fuck is the choice in not having the option to research something because the dice said no?
>>
File: 1462251806631.gif (2 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1462251806631.gif
2 MB, 350x300
>start a thread asking if a steam sale is worth partaking
>Shit slinging from every direction

holy shit I just want to maybe spend my money dollars
>>
>>338247901
>can minmax the shit out of it
You can do that in any 4x game.
Just because something has a skill ceiling doesn't mean it's bad.
SoTS is a game, hence why it keeps player choice as an active element.

I fail to see how a system that lets you research what you want with randomized starting parameters to allow you to expand in different areas as you choose is worse than a few RNG tech trading cards
>>
>>338247798
Poorly.

Dumber AI (the games only real selling point) since hex grid

Shit interface, the old one was so streamlined, I don't understand why they fucked it up so badly.

Nothing new besides grid which ruins ai.
Graphics look the same, sound is the same, tech is basically the same. Just less of everything II had.
>>
>>338248086
t. someone who hasn't played the game
Everyone gets a set of core technologies that you can do perfectly fine with

You just get a few nonintegral extra tech at random, and you can trade for them later on.
>>
>>338248554
>Dumber AI

Jesus fuck why. The AI was, like you say, the main reason to play the series.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.