[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This. Exactly this. This is all we ever really wanted. Why did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 20160520002333_1.jpg (472 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160520002333_1.jpg
472 KB, 1920x1080
This.
Exactly this.
This is all we ever really wanted.
Why did it take so goddamn long?
>>
the ONLY thing that has me on the fence are people saying it's hallway > locked room full of enemies > repeat

confirm deny?

that's not how Doom 1/2 are.
>>
Game?
>>
>>338243664
New Doom i assume looking at the collectible icon on the map
>>
>>338243657
A little more than half way through and I can confirm this. Once you get to the 4th mission the levels open up a bit so it becomes Mars wasteland, jump "puzzle", locked room full of enemies, repeat. I'm having more fun with it than I expected though.
>>
>>338243757
i'll wait for a sale then. damn shame. Almost had it I guess
>>
>>338243657
I'm only a couple hours in, so it may change, but it doesn't feel like that at all.

The VERY first area is like that, and I was a little bit worried.
Once you get in the satellite facility though which is pic related, it's a lot more open, and a lot more exploration-centric. The game does close off every once in a while and doesn't let you progress until you clear everything in the room, but that's something that happened in the original all the time too. It does feel very VERY Doom.
>>
>>338243657
I was on the fence too, but mostly because the beta turned me off. I gave in and bought it today and so far it's been pretty fun and feels like a great modern take on the original formula that made Doom such a great game.

That said, I would say that the level design is remarkably similar to the original and that people say "hallway--->locked room of enemies--->repeat" make me think they haven't played the original two games.

I've noticed something peculiar from double backing before leaving a level (for secrets, ammo, upgrades, etc.). There are, in fact, mulitple paths to reach different areas of the level. If you're runnin' and gunnin' then the game will seem more linear but if you take the time to pay attention to your surroundings and look for ways to access areas that seem unreachable, you can move through the levels in your own way. I think I discovered at least 3 different paths to different areas and interestingly enough some of these paths negated visiting other parts of the levels. Almost as if it encourages speedrunning to avoid parts that are frankly unnecessary unless you want upgrades.

I also want to point out that if you are on the fence because of the upgrade/glory kills stuff, it's not as bad as people say. You don't need to upgrade anything, not even your weapons but it would make things easier. Not for the Doom purists though. Glory Kills are optional but with the shotgun I blow a lot of enemies in half so it's not as frequent as the demos made it seem.

Solid 8/10.
>>
>>338243504
If you missed the Plasma Rifle in that level, you're a shit
>>
I'm kind of disappointed with it. Feels more like I'm playing Metroid Prime than Doom
>>
>>338244803
here we go
>>
>>338243657
That what it's like for most levels, but on some levels you have to fetch/destroy X things and you can do them in any order and corridors aren't really that bad because while there is usually only one route through the level there are a lot of small side paths that lead to secrets or small caches of supplies.
It's still a really good game, and I would recommend it.
>>
>>338243909
>but it doesn't feel like that at all.
You are right, because the rooms you are locked in are very expansive, but technically, you ARE locked in a room with enemies till the all clear.
>>
>>338244803
For one thing, I don't understand how that's in any way a bad thing.

For another, have you actually PLAYED the 1993 DOOM recently?
>>
File: 1463367748814.jpg (186 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463367748814.jpg
186 KB, 1920x1080
>>338243657

This is pretty much the exact structure and I usually fucking hate it. But it really has no detrimental effect on the game.

I hate horde mode design
I hate locked arena design
I hate perks
I hate locked on finisher moves
I hate enemies that spout shit when they die
I hate bullet sponge enemies
I usually hate FPS bosses

I fucking love this game, it's the best shooter in decades. It manages to make all these design methods fun because of how well it all gels together.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.