[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Metal Gear game should I play? I liked Portable Ops Plus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
What Metal Gear game should I play?

I liked Portable Ops Plus though fugged up pretty quickly once I got into the Normal missions.

I've played an hour or 2 of MGS4 and it was okay, but I didn't understand anything that was going on.

I watched a playthrough of Peace Walker and really enjoyed the storytelling of BB's past with The Boss and the overall visual design.

I can pretty easily gain access to any of the games quickly, and I own a Vita, PS3, and N3DS.
>>
>>338235578
Nigger, you go and play them in release order. All of them.
>>
>>338235794
I have no qualms with doing that, but it's not as if that is readily apparent to someone new to the series.
>>
>>338235794
This. I can't believe anyone would do anything else.

OP, get the MGS Legacy Collection, and start with fucking MGS1 ! Read the "Previously" summaries and watch the "Briefing Files" before jumping to the campaign
>>
>>338236135
So start with MGS1, not MG?
>>
>>338236269
most people find the 2D MGs, too tedious to start with, and their stories are fairly "light" compared to the later entries. That being said, if you got a knack for retro games, do give them a try at some point; especially MG2:SS is a brilliant game, and literally a 2D MGS1 prototype in numerous ways.
>>
>>338236135
There's an HD collection on Vita, but afaik, there's no way of playing the original MSG1 on the system. Any ideas?
>>
ive been playing v at a friends house and holy shit /v/ wasn't lying, that shit is awful

avoid it at all costs
>>
>>338236686
Get the fucking LEGACY COLLECTION for PS3.

OR MGS1 + HD Collection + MGS4 separately.

You can also emulate the original MGS on any wormbox PC
>>
>>338235578
Metal Gear solid collection for PS3. Start with 3: Snake Eater. Best one by far and takes place 30 years before the plot so none of the luggage like you got with trying to play 4
>>
Is liking Portable Ops a good indicator of liking the gameplay of MGS? I know standard MGS games probably don't have the switching mechanic, but aside from that.
>>
File: 1462805097861.jpg (400 KB, 1620x599) Image search: [Google]
1462805097861.jpg
400 KB, 1620x599
Stupid fat OP.
Oh what is this, a long-running series of acclaimed video games known for their intricate writing and plot twists?
Better start with the handheld tie-in in title and proceed to play the fourth game in the main series.
Who are all these characters?
>>
>>338235578
MGSV is pretty good, I'd recommend that.
>>
>>338239840
Portable Ops demonstrates gameplay changes that were implemented in MGS3.
The first two games feature different gameplay.
MGSV games introduced another change in gameplay design.

So basically, only MGS3, MGS4 and Peace Walker play like PortOps.
>>
>>338239840
You will enjoy MGS if you enjoyed Portable Ops. The gameplay is mostly the same but the other games have better level design.
>>
File: 1442368960365.png (48 KB, 376x364) Image search: [Google]
1442368960365.png
48 KB, 376x364
>>338235953
>It isn't apparent to someone new to the series to play the series in order
>>
Is it worthwhile to play the series in chronological order? I.e., MGS3 -> PW -> GZ -> TPP -> MGS1 -> MGS2 -> MGS4?
>>
>>338243150
Yes

after you played it in release order
>>
>>338243647
Why? Just to understand who all the characters are?
>>
>>338244596
The games assume you played them in release order.
Even though MGS3 is the first chronologically, it still assumes you've played 1 and 2 before it and certain things you won't understand may not be explained to you properly.
>>
Hard to recommend 4, and Peacewalker for dumb shit alone.

1 is good, Twin Snakes plays a bit better but is kind of phoned in.

2 is good, but it took the bullshit to a significantly more ridiculous level.

3 is probably my favorite, a lot of stuff is ridiculous, but it's also a little more toned back at parts.

4 is complete shit outside of gameplay, but it has a lot of setpieces and shit which kinda ruin it.

Peacewalker was dumb as fuck because of the ending of 3 alone.

5 is good if your bullshit tolerance is incredibly high. Worthless story, gameplay gets really boring and it's 30+ hours.
>>
>>338236686
What? Yes you can, heck you can play VR missions on it too. And Peacewalker too boot.
>>
Peacewalker or MGS1?
>>
>>338247059

MGS1
>>
>>338244890
>5 is good
>Peacewalker was dumb as fuck

You're retarded and you should feel incredibly bad.
>>
>>338247275
You're both wrong, peace walker was a decent enough portable entry but an overall shit game. Mgsv had excellent game play mechanics but completely botched the story and boss fights.

op just play 1-4 in order and if you're still up for it try 5. Le epic contrarian /v/ will recommend peace walker because it's the retarded step son of the series and someone has to love it
>>
File: 1460685057302.png (19 KB, 824x465) Image search: [Google]
1460685057302.png
19 KB, 824x465
>>338247485
Peace Walker was decent enough to provide proper R&D sections, co-op, side ops, Mother Base, cassette tapes that have something other than an old fucking fart on a wheelchair talking about ancient parasites, and so on. Its plot also has original characters and is overall better.

How anyone can prefer V over ANY fucking game (barring Portable Ops and TTS) in the series is baffling to me.

>excellent game play

The game is literally fucking unfinished. Just because controlling Snake is smooth and well designed doesn't mean half the game isn't missing, that it doesn't get repetitive after 5-10 hours of playing and that it doesn't insult your intelligence every two cutscenes. If there is a cutscene of course, since showing a cutscene with any substance to it is something that MGSV seems to fear more than your mother being rejected a welfare check.

Don't play the "/v/ le contrarian" card to hide your shitty taste.
>>
>>338247485
>missing Paz story line
>missing Chico story line
>literally most importantly missing Kaz relationship building with big boss
>big boss also gives one of the best mgs speeches in the end
>that twist ending
>all the silly missions that are not in mgsv and feels like a huge part of what mgs is

you're an idiot
Don't listen to him, play pw
It's a little hard to get into but really fun
And if you're getting legacy collection, why would you skip it in the first place
>>
Play 1, 2 and 3, avoid everything else.
Portable Ops was the last good one.
>>
>>338248307
>tfw got Portable Ops Plus instead of Portable Ops
It still hurts
>>
>>338248765
Me too, man.
Though I had pirated and played PO beforehand. Never finished it though.
>>
>>338247794
A game is more than just its story bro.
>>
>>338250392
Not when every entry has the same combat and gameplay
>>
File: EVA%20mari%2003%201110.jpg (253 KB, 1120x1600) Image search: [Google]
EVA%20mari%2003%201110.jpg
253 KB, 1120x1600
>>338250494
you can't seriously believe this
>>
>>338250975
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>338240000
>plot twists

>fight a dude in a tank with grenades
>tank blows up
>later on
>lol no, not dead XD
MGS games are like that kids writings: then there's this dude, then he dies but not really and then this dude appears who sides with you and is actually working for this guy etc.
>>
>>338253028
This, honestly. Most twists can be guessed, but its still enjoyable in presentation, even if it's in an ironic/cheesey way
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.