[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How well do the first two Zelda games hold up by today's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: zelda_nes_asia.png (580 KB, 800x426) Image search: [Google]
zelda_nes_asia.png
580 KB, 800x426
How well do the first two Zelda games hold up by today's standards?
>>
In short, I'd like to see them remade, overworlds and everything, but as 3D games.
>>
ive never even played them. i can say the oracle of ages/seasons + ALTTP hold up well
>>
The first game is playable with a guide, the second one is tough as shit.
>>
>>338217995
Very badly, LTTP truly was a turning point for the series. The first one is actually kind of impressive for when it was released, but it's totally bland and cryptical in an extremely bad way when compared to any other game in the series.

2? Well, let's just say that it was an experiment. And it certainly wasn't a successful one.
>>
>>338218269
>How does 1 and 2 hold up?
>I don't know i've never played them, but 7 and 8 and great!
>>
The original Zelda is the only true Zelda game. Seriously.

All of the following ones severely downgraded the exploration aspect, making the overworld tiny and uninteresting. They aren't like the first one, who, back then, gave people the feeling that the world was very vast and full of stuff and secrets to find, where exploring the world was one of the most important elements of the game (if not the most important one). Nowadays, even with our current technology, Nintendo hasn't made a Zelda game that gave the same feeling it gave to people as the original Zelda. It seems they are going to fix it with Zelda U, and I hope they do. Modern Zeldas should be more like it, not just offshoots of A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

Compared to today's standards, they are still somewhat fun, but not nearly as much as they were back then.
>>
File: zelda_triforce_cute.jpg (22 KB, 423x396) Image search: [Google]
zelda_triforce_cute.jpg
22 KB, 423x396
Zelda 1 is still my favorite Zelda tied with Ocarina of Time. One of the top 3 games on the NES and one of the core games I feel aged fine. I wish modern Zelda could return to the total freedom and open world that Zelda 1 pioneered. But despite Aonuma claiming he's going to do that with Zelda U, I doubt it will happen.

Zelda 2 had many problems even for when it came out. And it should get remade. But not into a 3D game. It needs basically a Metroid: Zero Mission treatment. As the majority of the reason its hard has to do with stiff controls, bad hit boxes and enemies having more fluid movement than Link does. Funny enough, if Zelda 2 got a remake with all of these things fixed, it would probably be too easy.
>>
>>338218613
Considering that nearly every game from then on featured a Magic meter, I wouldn't say it was a complete waste.
>>
They don't. Most NES games tend to age poorly.
>>
Speaking of Zelda, are there any decent zelda clones recently? Preferably in the top-down style. I've played Alundra and Hyper Light Drifter, was looking at Anodyne.
>>
>>338219268
I'd say that this applies to pretty much everything else than platformers. It's not that NES games are bad, but it's just that SNES releases of the same series are just so much better that they make NES games look too simple or minimalistic. Super Metroid more or less makes original Metroid feel aged, LTTP does the same to original Zelda, SNES era Final Fantasies mop the floor with NES entries...
>>
>>338217995
2 is actually one of my favorite Zeldas. It has flaws but it's not terrible like everyone says.

Git gud.
>>
Zelda 2 is probably my favorite zelda to replay when I'm bored. It's really not that bad or as hard as people make it out to be. I think I've died more times from falling into pits than actaully being killed by enemies(well usually they're the ones that knock me in since you always gravitate towards holes when hit)
>>
2 is actually the best zelda

i beat it when I was 8 you can do it as an adult
>>
>>338219268

By that logic, all games age poorly. Some of the games people obsessed over on the N64 and PS2 like Goldeneye or GTAIII are nearly unplayable today. While Zelda 1 is still one of the best Zelda games still. And its easy controls and clean style makes it easier to play than even Link to the Past.
>>
>>338219595
Anodyne was alright, not as good as the 2D Zelda games but pretty decent overall
>>
>>338220180
>ps2
>old
>>
>>338219595
3D Dot game hero was solid
>>
>>338220360

There are people posting on /v/ right now who started playing games on the PS3 or later. And they're over the age of 18.
>>
>>338217995
1 has too much obscure shit. Sure it's more open than any other Zelda game in terms of exploration and dungeon order, but this makes the dungeons feel really simplistic and barebones overall. Same goes for the combat.

Zelda 2 had issues, but it was pretty fucking cool for what it was. It's a shame that they never tried it again, or even remastered it to rectify its problems.
>>
>>338220386

As a massive Zelda and Dragon Quest fan, it really wasn't. The biggest mistake of the game was level design. The overworld was too big and empty while dungeons were all tight corridors. Which is stupid when you're using a sword that stops any time it touches a wall.
>>
File: modern zelda.jpg (634 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
modern zelda.jpg
634 KB, 960x544
>>
>>338218175
Some did the first LoZ as a semi-3d ala ALttP as a free web game. Nintendo took that shit down real quick though
>>
Extremely well. They're far better than any Zelda released in the past 20 years.
>>
>>338217995
Wipeout has nice vehicle designs and graphic design
>>
>>338220689
>>
>>338217995
oddly enough zelda 2 holds up much better than the original, probably because the original feels more like a proof of concept than anything now a days.
>>
>>338220928
So basically Hyrule Warriors
>>
First ones fine. Would hold up fairly well if released today as an indie title.

Second one. Shit. Was okay during its time.
>>
>>338218613
>2? Well, let's just say that it was an experiment. And it certainly wasn't a successful one.
2 was enormously popular when it came out and sold over 4 million copies.

Also, it's responsible for a lot of the foundation of modern Zelda games.

>Towns with NPCs you talk to that send you on side-quests and give you valuable information
>Magic spells including a magic meter
>Items to unlock significant chunks of the overworld (in LoZ there were only two screens you couldn't visit on the overworld from the start of the game)

Not successful? Zelda 2 fucking built what Zelda is today.
>>
>>338218883

It's truly THE adventure game, all you do is exploring instead of fulfill tasks that some NPC gives to you.
>>
theyre both great, but 1 really falls apart at the end by just stuffing the last 2 dungeons full of wizrobes
>>
They're both still really good OP, though you'll have to deal with bad localization/purposely cryptic hint text at times.

Get your graph paper out and start burning bushes.
>>
>>338219110
>It needs basically a Metroid: Zero Mission treatment.
Fuck no, Nintendo doesn't need to neuter the game and ruin everything good about it to appease casuals like they did with Metroid.

>As the majority of the reason its hard has to do with stiff controls, bad hit boxes and enemies having more fluid movement than Link does
The hitboxes and controls are just fine. Git fucking gud.
>>
>>338221192
That must be why modern zelda is a sidescroller with RPG-lite levelling up... oh wait.
>>
>>338221390
show me the 3d games on NES
>>
>>338221383

Couldn't have a discussion of Metroid or Zelda without this idiot showing up.
>>
>>338221586
So you are too casual to handle NES Zeldas or Metroid?
>>
>>338221390
Zelda 2's gameplay was an expansion upon the original game. Combat had more depth and the experience points allowed you to focus on improving whatever you wanted to improve. Don't want to level up your health right now? You don't have to.

You're too hung up on superficial presentation to understand how Zelda 2's design is sublime. The multiple ways to attack were translated to the 3D games via the various ways you could attack with your sword.

People who think of Zelda 2 as some sort of "black sheep" are displaying immense ignorance since the later Zelda games they praise owe heavily to contributions Zelda 2 made.
>>
>>338217995
I feel like even if you like 2 as a game, it set a bad precedent for Present day Nintendo.
>Nintendo makes game
> Game is sucessful and popular even today
>Make sequel
>Sequel is completely unique, trying new things and changing the formula completely.
>Liked, but not nearly as popular then or now
>Go back to familiar formula for next game
>Game is sucessful and popular even today.
This is why we get rehashes.
You did this.
>>
>>338217995
I like them better now than I did as a kid. When I was little I didn't have the patience for it and didn't have a guide.
The only other Zelda games worth playing are link to the past, link between worlds, links awakening, and the oracle games. 3D Zelda sucks balls, DS Zelda sucks balls, mining cap was good but too short in my opinion.

Tldr: they are the best games in the series
>>
>>338221849

I love how in Zelda II, imitating a "jump attack" from 3D Zelda games was the best way to handle Darknuts.
>>
>>338221804

So all you think is in extremes? I beat Metroid and Zelda 2 at the age of 9. And having played them dozens of times, I can say that they had plenty of issues that need a remake.

Zelda 1 had some cryptic item locations, but the base gameplay was solid. Zelda 2 has tons of issues, that even Miyamoto himself has admitted. From bosses walking off screen to imprecise hit boxes to the very fact that Zelda 2 had to have a life system to make it work.
>>
>>338222059
I forgot to mention Hyrule Warriors, which is the only fun 3D Zelda game
>>
>>338219268
thats because you are a baby casual faget
>>
>>338221564
Even better. I can show you the SNES and gameboy top-down zelda's that are widely considered some of the best.

Show me one other sidescroller Zelda though.

>>338221849

Yeah, a lot of future games took influence from the good things in Zelda 2, but anyone with half a brain can see the influences come mostly from the original. In fact, the majority of things that Zelda 2 brought to the table were completely scrapped soon after. Just look at Link to the Past and the GB games.
>>
File: 1403467143301.jpg (298 KB, 1294x630) Image search: [Google]
1403467143301.jpg
298 KB, 1294x630
>>338222059

>as a kid, I didn't have the patience to play Dragon Quest and only played Zelda
>now I prefer Dragon Quest for its focus on exploration and NPC interaction, while I can't stand modern Zelda because it lacks those things
Growing up ain't so bad.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.