[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zelda U
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 26
File: 1463237134919.png (4 MB, 1772x2151) Image search: [Google]
1463237134919.png
4 MB, 1772x2151
On a scale of 1 to 10, how hyped are you for Zelda U?
>>
Hyped enough that I'm salivating for more information but not enough to quantify it.
>>
9 because I'm a dudeweedlmao gamer who beats off to open world games with nice grass

that shit gets me hard as fuck
>>
>>338207765
maybe a 4

twilight princess is my favorite zelda game and I havent been hyped since, maybe I just grew out of the series idk
>>
>>338207765
>getting hype for video games
I learned my lesson with Halo 2.

Just let it come out and take it for what it is.
>>
>>338207765

I guess a 7. Still interested but I'm annoyed by the lack of news and the multiple delays. Depending on how E3 goes, it could jump to a 9.
>>
3. It's going to be another Aonuma Zelda, so I know it won't be good.
>>
>>338207765
>>
The same amount of years it has been delayed
>>
>>338207765
I'm going full retard
>>
>>338207765
I'm going full retard.
God damn Nintendo make the second coming of Christ REAL
>>
maybe a 4 or a 3. I'm more curious than hyped. I want to be excited but after everything else I can't be. I get the sinking feeling that its reveal will also show some piece of info about it that completely ruins it for me.
>>
>>
There's literally no info to get hyped about.
I'll probably get hyped during E3 if it looks good enough.
>>
I'm glad I skipped Skyward Sword, this is gonna be my first incredibly retarded zelda game
>>
File: 1458855398560.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1458855398560.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
Are we going to keep calling it Zelda U? I mean, it's coming for NX too, so we should call it Zelda UNX or something like that.
>>
>>338207765
Maybe a 4? I've been playing all the games starting with LttP when I was 8, and I care enough to click threads like this obviously. But the games have gotten more and more gimmicky with every successive iteration and the quality has shot down imo. That and the game has been delayed for like three years. Frankly I just stopped caring. I'll play the new one probably just out of habbit, but I'm not really hyped.
>>
5/10.

ALBW happening after Spirit tracks gave me some hope they aren't on a permanent downward spiral, and Hyrule Warriors is giving me some residual Zelda hype even though it doesn't really reflect on Nintendo's ability to make a good console Zelda again.
>>
File: Zelda's smile.jpg (1 MB, 991x1300) Image search: [Google]
Zelda's smile.jpg
1 MB, 991x1300
I'd say about about 7. Haven't seen too many recent details, so I'm not as hyped as I was back when Skyward Sword was on the horizon. Of course, this is mostly because they're keeping this game under tighter wraps compared to SS, especially when it's so "close" to release.

By the by, am I better off on just waiting for the NX, or should I get a Wii U? I'm aware the former is going to be "next-gen", but will there be any other benefit beyond that?
>>
File: Romani's invitation.jpg (659 KB, 1200x739) Image search: [Google]
Romani's invitation.jpg
659 KB, 1200x739
>>338212278

We'll call it whatever the subtitle is. Surprising they haven't already announced it, unless it's got something kind of spoilerly about it that can't be revealed until they're 100% ready to dump it on shelves.
>>
File: 1411720856406.jpg (73 KB, 599x528) Image search: [Google]
1411720856406.jpg
73 KB, 599x528
>>338207765
>>
Any chance Zelda U turns out similar to Skyward Sword?
>>
>>338207765
0. i dont even play my fucking wii u again and delay after delay killed any possible hype. thanks nintendo
>>
>>338214850
Just because of the fact that it is an open world with "non linear" characteristics (as stated by Aonuma) it appears to be impossible that it turns out like SS. Also the wii motion controls seem to be gone for the sword movement
>>
File: Malon and Cremia.png (46 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
Malon and Cremia.png
46 KB, 1000x800
>>338214850

Maybe not in the controls splitting people, but it could suffer from an overhyped story and not be nearly as grand as its being made out to be.

I'm figuring it'll be solid, though whether it'll be the game that restores faith for fans who have become disillusioned over the years, god only knows.
>>
File: The Legend of Zelda (3441).png (497 KB, 822x506) Image search: [Google]
The Legend of Zelda (3441).png
497 KB, 822x506
>>338207765

I liked SS and ALBW so 7.9/10
>>
>>338215072
>>338214850
The thing that bothered me about Skyward Sword was the utter soullessness of the world.

Apparently Zelda had all the personality in Skyloft, and they had to remove her from the game in order to start it.
There was a lack of real rewards for any one side quest, only a reward for your percentage of side quests completed.
So many minigames or sidequest interactions with the NPCs reference game events without changing otherwise obliviousness of Skyloft, and phrase their requests with instructional statements if they're gated behind the next game advancement.
No one seems particularly happy they're living in a city above the clouds and can tame giant birds to fly on. This is the most fantastic setting in any of the Zelda games; and all it amounts to is a really annoying overworld transition boarder.

I worry Zelda U could be going for gobsmacking but turn out empty, or at least so dry that it sucks the fun out.
>>
About a 3. Love the series but at this point it's setting itself up to be another TP scenario. I'm keeping expectations in line and simply expecting another solid game when it does decide to come out. That said, I would like to know the official title.
>>
>>338216848
The residents of Skyloft had tons of personality. You got senior student Pipit that busts his ass working nights to pay for shit, who gets pissed at his mom for giving money to Link and is embarrassed when Link overhears him yelling at her. Groose. Groose's short fat friend Cawlin that wants to bang the hot chick that wants to bang the senior student. There's bored, quiet item check girl that wants to fuck. Pissed off bar owner man. Old drunk story teller man. Less than happy Salesman, french looking handyman, exasperated father potion mixer, etc. I mean they aren't each deeply written, but I sure remember a lot more tertiary characters in SS than I do for OoT, WW, or TP.

I agree about the sidequests. It's like usual sidequest rewards (ammo bags, modifiers) got put in Goddess chests and the sidequests became the new gold skulltulas (which are most similar to the goddess cubes, I guess). I'm not sure I dislike it entirely, but having your reward for sidequests be a stream of what is essentially a special experience bar that unlocks wallets isn't very satisfying.

>No one seems particularly happy they're living in a city above the clouds and can tame giant birds to fly on.
Are you particularly happy and overjoyed everyday that you have indoor plumbing? People get used to shit when it's all they know.
>>
>>338217640
What's a TP scenario? I liked that game a lot. I didn't really give a shit about vidya reviews or news back when it came out though so I didn't really notice a lot of the major things people complain about 10 years later.
>>
File: Kina impresssed.gif (3 MB, 337x282) Image search: [Google]
Kina impresssed.gif
3 MB, 337x282
>>338218137
>>338216848

Shame Nintendo will never do more with their HD releases like add on stuff. SS would be great if it allowed for a quest to fly at night, and by extension the surface areas, along with new access points that allowed you to traverse between all three without having to return to the sky every single time. And finally added some extra islands to the sky with optional mini-dungeons. It'd be a lot to ask for, but man oh man would that probably turn a lot of people's opinion on the game around.
>>
>>338218701
Why did the surface areas or flying need night?
>>
File: Kina drops a hint.png (346 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Kina drops a hint.png
346 KB, 500x375
>>338218865

They didn't have night sections, but they should have. It was retarded that you couldn't fly at night, and day/night cycles were some of the best things in the 3D Zelda games.
>>
File: Piper ass.jpg (303 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Piper ass.jpg
303 KB, 1280x720
>>
File: Piper booty.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Piper booty.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>338219447
>>
I just fucking want to know something about it at this point.

And stop shitting up the thread with the worst 3D zelda, please.
>>
>>338218569

Between the return to a more "realistic" art style after WW and the legendary E3 reveal with Miyamoto brandishing a Master Sword and Hylian Shield, the hype was shot through the roof with TP. And then it got held back for Wii, where people then began to expect things from the motion-controlled sword swinging. 10 years on the waggle is looked down upon but at the time that shit looked like it was gonna be the future. Now granted, TP is my favorite Zelda in part because I took it for what it was but there have been people who lost faith in vidya over it not being the second coming of Christ. I think those people are stupid but put into context it's not like the hype machine wasn't there.

That said, what all this has to do with Zelda U is that it's been in development for so long, delayed twice now, and Aonuma has come out and said that they want it to be the next huge step for Zelda, they want to accomplish what OoT did in its heyday with it. I'll believe it when I see it I guess but they're setting themselves up for impossibly high standards again. Great if they pull it off I guess but I'm not gonna get mad if, like with TP, we just get another really good Zelda.
>>
>>338207765

I completely stopped caring about legend of zelda games after the wind waker. I don't remember enjoying anything as much as oracle of seasons. By the time twilight came out I stopped being hyped
>>
>>338219724
>SS is bad meme
>>
If it's better than SS I'll buy a WiiU.
If it's compatible with the NX then I'll not buy a WiiU.
>>
>>338220096

Fair assessment. In my opinion the Oracles were the last Zeldas with exceptional balance across the board. Difficulty, dungeon design, sidequesting, gimmicks, all of that was good in the Oracles. Ever since the series has felt lopsided in their approaches, doing one or two things well at the expense of everything else. ALBW is kind of a return to pre-WW form but even that has its drawbacks, albeit as a result of its experimental tendencies and not so much due to off game balance.
>>
>>338219767
Ah, I guess that makes sense. Since I wasn't really paying attention to the industry back then I didn't witness the e3 reveal or participate in the hype as new stuff was revealed about the game. I also never played it on Wii so I have no experience with that either.

As long as Zelda U isn't held back by a gimmick Nintendo forces on it, then I think I'll be satisfied with it. I hope the "gimmick" for this game is being not super heavy on constant story interruptions and such but open ended exploration.
>>
>>338220293
Not a meme, SS is legit the worst 3D zelda game.

>Only 1 town. No, the pumpkin thing does not count. There's no store, no houses, or anything. Besides, it's right next to the main village.
>No day/night cycle
>World is not interconnected
>No warping
>Instrument straight up does not work correctly
>Shit-tier bosses aside from Koloktos
>HOPE YOU LIKE BACKTRACKING
>THERE IS A 95% CHANCE YOU'VE ALREADY READ THIS
>MASTER, THE WII REMOTE BATTERIES ARE LOW
>MASTER, THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS [answer to puzzle you were just about to figure out anyway]
>MASTER, NOW YOU HAVE TO BACKTRACK TO ANOTHER AREA AGAIN
>Tadtones
>Save bug that stops progress
>Not-ganon.jpg

fuck off Aonuma. This game is awful.

>>338220429
Already been confirmed by Nintendo to be a cross-platform release.
>>
File: waiting for zelda wiiu.jpg (31 KB, 500x296) Image search: [Google]
waiting for zelda wiiu.jpg
31 KB, 500x296
>>338207765
>>

If midna comes back it'll go to infinite.

But if it has a good story and gameplay, 11. Looks cool for the 30 seconds they gave us though.
>>

Aonuma is a hack and there's zero information worth a fuck about the game.
>>
>>338220717
>>338220293
Does every Zelda thread have to turn into arguing over which games are/aren't shit?
>>
File: 1447790713665.jpg (423 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1447790713665.jpg
423 KB, 800x600
I've been cautiously optimistic for a couple years, E3 is going to make or break it.
>>
>>338220592

I never played the GC version, only the Wii and WiiU versions. The worst thing about the Wii version in reality is the flipped orientation and Link being right-handed. It actually had a couple minor advantages like being able to have 4 items out and general projectile aiming. The bow in particular was got tier in the Wii version - lining up shots was so smooth you could land a shot between any enemy's eyes nigh effortlessly. That said, GC still had more traditional controls and I'm sure the Wiimote sounds haven't aged gracefully considering they were incredibly tinny and distorted in the first place.
>>
>>338220920
Nope, literally just SS is bad. TP is alright, WW is good for the first 3/4 of the game, and OoT and MM are great.
>>
File: 1387341735355.jpg (512 KB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1387341735355.jpg
512 KB, 2000x1200
>>338220717
> Already been confirmed by Nintendo to be a cross-platform release.
Mmmm...
I had a Gamecube when they released TP.
Didn't bought a Wii, I waited some months to get the GC version.

(Ended up buying a Wii when SS was on the way. I got a nice red one that plays all my gamecube stuff. I could even play the Virtual Console Majora's Mask with the gamecube controller.)
>>
>>338221264
I think the Wii version is superior, the fucking item wheel is fantastic. Weird they didn't keep it the same for SS.
>>
>>338218982
Yeah, but why?
NPC schedules are the only neat thing about them and with so few NPCs on the surface, making you require a specific time of day would only be tedious.

'Old games had it so this must too' isn't a good reason for me. Mechanics should have gameplay reasons behind them. There was no reason to fly at night, or go to the land at night. So they just kept it daytime all the time when you're down there. I'm more than okay with that choice and the bed system.
>>
>>338220717
>SS is legit the worst 3D zelda game.

Says YOU.
>>
>>338220717
>>338221253

I actually like SS more than WW. SS is a rollercoaster of quality but at least that meant it had some really good moments and ideas with the bad. With WW, charting the sea is fun but being on land is almost always a mixed proposal. The dungeons are the weakest of any 3D Zelda, the pacing is kinda jank in spots, and discovering islands is often more fun than actually exploring them, especially if you don't have the item you need to progress on said island. Still, it does have its positive points like all of underwater Hyrule and generally decent bosses but as a whole I'll take all the other 3D Zeldas over it.
>>
>>338207765
8.8/10
>>
Hard to be hyped for a game we haven't seen in a year, and last time we saw it looked like really embarassing Alpha footage. And now we know it's being intentionally held back so it can be a launch title for the new system.

Not to mention it's still going to be 9 months away even though it's the only game they are bringing to E3.
>>
>>338207765
Is she crying because Zelda games have turned to shit and Anouma keeps rapping its corpse?
>>
>>338221720
Where SS fails is where WW triumphs: Atmosphere. SS feels dead anywhere you go. The weather never changes, you can't explore at night, the sky is a huge blank slate. At least with the ocean you had subs you could explore, battle islands, warp zones, and mini-bosses. The Sky has none of that.
>>
Haven't seen any relevant info about the game/10
>>

it's this low because of the disaster that was SS. 1 extra point allotted because ALBW was a step in the right direction
>>
>>338218137
>Are you particularly happy and overjoyed everyday that you have indoor plumbing?
Well no. But I do know I use it and really resent when I can't. And also my religion isn't founded based on indoor plumbing. These guys have a statue to their goddess larger than any building in their civilization and their creation myth is a daily part of their lives. Suggesting they all just live normal lives in spite of this crazy change to their sociology doesn't feel sensible. Everyone reportedly psychically bonds with their loftwing at a young age, but in the experience of the game: the people don't seem to have any affection for them and the game doesn't seem like it really wants to pay attention to it.

We see people riding them in FMVs at the start and that fight in the intro with the Groose trio, in the "WHOA watch your step" cuts and the one crashed one for a sidequest. But what's given all that establishing in the intro is basically limited there. There's no mention about why Beedle, the only character who spends time in the air; doesn't have a loftwing, and it confused me enough to watch the scene 4 times that Zelda falls in that storm with her loftwing through the clouds, and it's nowhere to be seen until the end credits. It doesn't come back in the intro without her: driving the "Zelda's gone" point home. It isn't injured and found as part of the initial trail Link follows once on the surface. It just stops being in the game.
>>
>>338207765
At this point, 1/10 is the best I can do. Skyward Sword didn't exactly fill me with hope.
>>
>>338221667
says most people and anyone with a brain, actually. SS is easily the most flawed 3D zelda, and it's highs don't excel enough to warrant its quality
>>
>>338220757
>ZU was scheduled for 2016, delayed to 2017
>TP came out in 2011
So is it OoT that predicts the future, or Gorons?
>>
>>338207765
6/10

I don't get "hyped" for anything anymore. I've learned to lower my expectations. I'll likely be buying day-one but I'm not falling for "hype" ever again.
>>
>>338221629

For one, they had the idea of enemies changing at night, even if it was just the stupid cat things on Skyloft. That could have been expanded on the surface with enemies that become stronger at night.
>>
>>338222021

Ok, but I'd rather replay Lanayru Mining Facility, Sandship, Ancient Cistern, or Sky Keep than any of WW's dungeons. I also consider the Ghirahim fights to be among the best fights in the 3D games, not to mention some of SS's neat additions like sprinting and boosting up walls, Timeshift Stones, or drop-based item upgrades. It had its lows for sure (and general exploration is one of its worst lows, an area that WW definitely demolishes it in) but I'll take its highs over the meat of WW. That's just me, though.
>>
>no truly good Zelda game for past 13 years

Nothing to get hyped about yet, anon
>>
>>338222409

>says most people with a brain

I sure do love this flimsy argument. And the game's flaws are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.
>>
>>338207765
I'm very interested in seeing more of it, not sure if it's hype or not. I think Nintendo is finally beginning to listen to fans after the whole disaster that was e3. Basically I think this is their chance to prove they can get it right and I'm waiting to see what they come up with.
>>
>>338222663
> And the game's flaws are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

THe story is terrible.

Fi is annoying as fuck.

There literally is only 1 town and no day/night cycle.

There's a shitton of backtracking with no warp system.

There are less items than a usual game and way more fetch quests.
>>
File: LBW.jpg (564 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
LBW.jpg
564 KB, 1920x1080
>>338222656
>>
>>338222656

I think TP and ALBW were pretty strong games, but TP appeals to my personal sensibilities with a Zelda more than any other game - factually it's just as flawed as the others in that timeframe - and ALBW felt like an attempt at a return to lost form, albeit with a couple of risky maneuvers.
>>
>>338222663
-worst companion in the series by far. You cannot even debate this
-eldin volcano is a complete trash area
-skyworld emptier than WW's ocean
-shitty items aside from the beetle. The mole claws were alright too.
-instrument sucks cock
-no night for surface world
-world seems very small, it really needed like a fourth snow area or something
-had more focus on a story, despite the story being far less interesting than previous games
-OST wasn't nearly as good as previous 3D zeldas despite being orchestrated

the best part about SS was how the timestones were implemented in lanayru desert
>>
File: 1387347566108.jpg (252 KB, 650x900) Image search: [Google]
1387347566108.jpg
252 KB, 650x900
>>338221720
> SS vs WW
Let's go to the meat of Zelda games.
No it's not the dungeons. It's not the conversations or cutscenes, not even the story.
It's the things you do in between.

SS:
- Getting all those glowing dots along the map to open a portal or door or whatever.
- Looking for those shining shards of positivity for the vampire demon. Dowsing.

WW:
- Checking the map to see what island still has heart pieces on it.
- Stopping your boat to cannon battle some pirates

OK this was a bad idea.
>>
>>338222770

The story is rarely good in the Zelda games

Fi is annoying, but so was Navi

Plenty of the older games only had one town, and while day/night would have been nice, it's hardly that big a loss

The backtracking usually unlocked shortcuts, so at least there was some consolation despite no point-a to point-b warps

There's plenty of items, and at least most of them had use outside of their dungeons compared to TP where so many wound up becoming dead weight after they were acquired
>>
>>338222597
>Ok, but I'd rather replay Lanayru Mining Facility, Sandship, Ancient Cistern, or Sky Keep than any of WW's dungeons.

Fair enough, WW's dungeons are only debatably decent. The last two (Earth and Wind) take a nosedive in quality and are among the worst Zelda dungeons.

>I also consider the Ghirahim fights to be among the best fights in the 3D games
Eeeehhh. Half the time the thrust doesn't work for me which ruins these fights for me. Besides that they're pretty flavorless imo.

>not to mention some of SS's neat additions like sprinting and boosting up walls
I'd like it if there weren't a fucking stamina meter. Makes everything slower. If they're gonna have faster travel don't make it timed with recharge. Annoying as fuck.

>Timeshift Stones
One of the good parts

>or drop-based item upgrades
no idea why people like this, I thought it was weakly implemented and the upgrades were mediocre at-best.
>>
>>338222021
>Atmosphere
Okay. SS also succeeds where WW fails, travel, combat, dungeons, and items (deku leaf is goat but the rest are shit).

>>338221720
I agree anon, WW is shit. SS fixes so many things I didn't like about WW.

>>338220717
>less means worse
>x control is broken!
>parroting fi complaints that aren't accurate
>listing the final boss as a bad thing
No really, what's with the tadtones? Everyone complains about that section and I don't get it. Is this another control complaint or is there something people found frustrating with some other mechanic of it?

>>338220920
Got any new Zelda U information to talk about?
>>
>>338223338
stop posting
>>
File: Fi's smile.png (1 MB, 765x1045) Image search: [Google]
Fi's smile.png
1 MB, 765x1045
>>338223338

The only thing that's true about Fi is that she doesn't shut up and is quite invasive. If there's one thing that can most assuredly be fixed with an HD edition of SS, it's making sure she doesn't intrude upon the player as much.
>>
>>338223178
>The story is rarely good in the Zelda games
OoT, MM, WW, and ALBW all have great (or at the very least, serviceable) stories.

>Fi is annoying, but so was Navi
Navi bugs you for a second. Fi bugs you for the entire game and literally never shuts the fuck up.

>Plenty of the older games only had one town
NAME FUCKING ONE

>and while day/night would have been nice, it's hardly that big a loss
Literally removes half the content of exploring and destroys any hope of night-based enemies, lanterns, or events that could only happen at night. Imagine fucking OoT without the night cycle, or Majora. It'd be awful.

>The backtracking usually unlocked shortcuts
You can't travel to other regions without returning to the sky. You can't fast travel to Skyloft. It's shit.

>at least most of them had use outside of their dungeons compared to TP where so many wound up becoming dead weight after they were acquired
yeah when you only have 10 items it's not exactly hard to find uses for them, especially considering two of them become obsolete before the end of the game.
>>
>>338223178
Why is the usual defense of SS always "well an older Zelda did this poorly too so it's okay"?

Other Zeldas are flawed too but those older ones usually had more redeeming qualities, or those particular flaws weren't nearly as bad as they are in SS.
>>
>>338223178

Actually, after playing TP HD most of its items do find some use outside of their dungeons. Even the Spinner, a common point in favor of that argument, has a few uses in the overworld and briefly comes back in Temple of Time, City In The Sky, and Hyrule Castle. Another one is the Dominion Rod which gets its own story sidequest (to the minor detriment of the game's pacing) and comes back in Hyrule Castle. The only one I'd say is truly forgotten is Ball and Chain, and even that unlocks a cave and is a progress gate in Cave of Ordeals, not to mention is just a hard hitting ranged weapon in general. That said, there are some useless accessories like Bombchus and the Hawkeye.
>>
>>338223035
That's a lot of hot opinions you got there, but there's something I want to ask you about.

>skyworld emptier than WW's ocean
Are you using WW's ocean as a benchmark because you thought it was empty or because the sky shouldn't have less content than a previous game's 'field?'
>>
>>338223791
this

SS defenders are fucking retarded. It's alright if you like it, I like it myself, but it's clearly the most flawed 3D zelda
>>
File: Hyrule_Warriors_-_Zelda_Artwork.png (2 MB, 1126x2000) Image search: [Google]
Hyrule_Warriors_-_Zelda_Artwork.png
2 MB, 1126x2000
>>338207765
If it's still released on the WiiU: 9
If it's released exclusively to the NX: 0
If it's released on PC, PS4, and/or Xbone because Nintendo went 3rd party: 9001

Seriously. I love Nintendo, I've supported them with my own cash from doing menial labor as a kid & teen (until I could get my own real tax-deductible job) since the NES, never sold or traded a single game, still have all my boxes, manuals, and inserts for each of those games...but the Wii U is my last Nintendo console.

I may come back if NoA gets their head out of their own asses and remembers that North America LIKES sex and violence (since sex and violence go oh-so-well together), but until then forget it and their meme-spouting nonsense.

I visit /v/ for that retardation.
>>
>>338223868

Oh, and the Slingshot. No Zelda has dropped the Slingshot as hard as TP did.
>>
>>338223943
ya no shit it's my opinion, but at least it's backed

>Are you using WW's ocean as a benchmark because you thought it was empty or because the sky shouldn't have less content than a previous game's 'field?'

both. While WW was pretty empty, each square on the map had something, and in some cases many things, for you to explore (you know, what the series is based on). SS only has skyloft, 3 minigames, pumpkin hut, that tower in thunder dome, and a boss fight.

Aside from that, all you have are treasure chests you beam up from the surface which has no reason to exist since you already found them on the surface and know where they are so it's just a waste of time. Sure, some of them require items from later but they could have implemented that in the surface
>>
>>338223581

WW maybe, the rest are pretty much as you said, "serviceable".

>Name fucking one

Let's see; Link to the Past.

Again, while the day/night would been nice, it wasn't that big a loss since the only night enemies throughout the series were the stalfos, who do appear in dungeons and not just the fields in the games.

>>338223791

Nothing of what I said was "The older ones were poor, so it's okay for this one to be", I'm just saying it's not nearly as bad as people say it is.

>>338224015

It's really not THAT flawed.
>>
>>338223338
>SS also succeeds where WW fails
kek, you don't seriously believe this do you

>travel
would you rather set the controller down for 5 minutes (or 1 with WWHD) and enjoy the scenery or awkwardly bend your wrist and flap your arm for 2 minutes?

>combat
Wait for enemy to show weak point, swing in said direction. Then get pissed when the game misinterprets your swing. Waggle when enemy is stunned.

>dungeons
the dungeons are at-best better than WW. That's not saying much. At-worst they're completely forgettable.

>and items
THE BEETLE and uhhhh

>less means worse
generally that's the consensus.
>x control is broken!
do actually want the harp to return because that shit did not work at all.
Nigger please.
>listing the final boss as a bad thing
He's a repeat of the goddamn Ganon fight from TP and dies the EXACT same way as the previous two 3D games. And beyond that they refuse to call him Ganon when he's totally Ganon.
>>
>>338224301
it's pretty fucking flawed, see

>>338223035
>>338222770
>>338220717
>>
>>338224301
>Nothing of what I said was "The older ones were poor, so it's okay for this one to be"

Three of your points were "Zelda rarely has good stories", "Navi was also annoying", and "older games also had one town"
>>
>>338224432

Except those are grievances, many of which are not shared by everyone. Flaws have to be actual things that no one can deny, and of them, the biggest one is Fi being too intrusive. Her characterization is a matter of subjectivity for people, as well as things like the dungeons.
>>
>>338224313

>And beyond that they refuse to call him Ganon when he's totally Ganon.

Eh, story wise it's the other way around - Ganondorf is the representation of Demise. Say what you will about being an errand boy forging a sacred sword but if nothing else, SS did establish why this Triforce shit keeps happening the same fucking way without end.
>>
>>338223035
>-worst companion in the series by far. You cannot even debate this
Had potential to be great. But they used her to be an actual hand holding tutorial rather than just some AI.

>-instrument sucks cock
Absolutely fucking garbage, you only used it for 1 minigame and they never told you how to actually use it since the actual plot scenes were automatic.
>>
>>338207765
0. Because that's exactly as much as we know about it and for all we know it could be pushed back to 2020.
>>
>>338207765
7 - Cautiously optimistic

While ALBW proved they can still make great 2D Zelda games, there hasn't been any proof of that for 3D Zelda recently.
>>
>>338224301
>WW maybe, the rest are pretty much as you said, "serviceable".
Name one bad thing about OoT or MM's story. For each one in those I can name you 5 in SS.

> it wasn't that big a loss since the only night enemies throughout the series were the stalfos
Yeah you're right! Poes, skeletons, bubbles, wolves, and other enemies don't exist! How silly of me. And how could I pretend that there were night-specific quests in OoT, MM, WW, and TP when there weren't any!

Faggot.
>>
>>338224615
>if i call it a grievance it's not a flaw!

oh I suppose the empty world in MGSV is a "grievance" too?
>>
>>338224276
>No Zelda has dropped the Slingshot as hard as TP did.
Actually SS drops it exactly as hard.
>>
>>338224301
>the only night enemies throughout the series were stalfos

please stop posting
>>
>>338224571

That doesn't translate to "They were bad/poor, so this one gets a pass", it's just pointing out that none of the other games were exactly shining in the story or character department. Seriously, as fun as OoT is, the story is just barely there compared to say most RPGs.
>>
>>338224245
>I may come back if NoA gets their head out of their own asses
They've been censoring games since they got into the business. The only thing that's changed is that they localize more games now.
>>
File: Iwata Isn't Asking.png (208 KB, 361x691) Image search: [Google]
Iwata Isn't Asking.png
208 KB, 361x691
>>338224301
>>
>>338224883
Then it's not even a defense of SS, and thus, it's not relevant to the discussion in the least. Why even say it at all?
>>
>>338223214
>Half the time the thrust doesn't work for me
Maybe you're doing them wrong.

>>338223456
>MASTER, THE WII REMOTE BATTERIES ARE LOW
User error. Change the fucking batteries. Low power on a motion controller means inaccurate movement. Nintendo wants you to change the batteries so you don't blame low battery inaccuracy on the game. Which guess what, happened anyway.

>MASTER, THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS [answer to puzzle you were just about to figure out anyway]
She doesn't solve any puzzles. The only thing she 'spoils' is the parts like midna teleporting the bridges. You know why she does that? Because so many people got stuck at those parts in TP, especially desert bridge. But those aren't puzzles you solve, it's remembering where you left something. Find me a specific instance of Fi ruining a dungeon puzzle.

>MASTER, NOW YOU HAVE TO BACKTRACK TO ANOTHER AREA AGAIN
This is either a complaint about backtracking or Fi telling you when you hit a dead end. Complaining about that is fucking stupid. The worst parts in Super Metroid were when you didn't know if you had to turn back or not so you spent another hour at a dead end.

So you know what? I mean I guess these are accurate in that she technically does those things, but they're exaggerated to such a degree that the mildest feature is suddenly on the list of why the game is terrible. I mean really? A low battery warning is a reason why this is the worst 3D Zelda? That's just parroting dumb shit most anons will agree to because they've also seen it posted before, all in support of the 'SS is the worst 3D Zelda' narrative. Which of course you know is right, because you've seen it posted here before.
>>
>>338224930

This. Current politics and the Internet simply means Nintendo's dirty laundry is out for all to see now.
>>
>>338224850

Except that's all it was. OoT it was just the stalchilds and NOTHING else. The poes could be fought day or night. WW didn't have any special night enemies, it just made them more eerie at night with the glowing eyes. TP was really the only one to add anything new with the skeletal dogs.
>>
>>338225085
so you admit there was more than just stalfos, your post didn't specify OoT
>>
>>338224760

Because things like "this character is annoying" is a grievance. Some people enjoyed Navi and didn't find her annoying, they're not wrong to think that way because it's their personal outlook on her.
>>
>>338225197
Fi's interruptions are a huge flaw, constantly stopping the flow of the game to say useless shit affects the experience heavily

and she does it ALL THE TIME. It wouldn't be as bad if she was a good character, but she's not
>>
>>338225163

It wasn't exactly wrong, Christ.
>>
>>338225295

And nobody has really denied that. But saying things like "The dungeons sucked, they're a flaw" is just foolishly idiotic.
>>
>>338224313
Different Anon, but I'll take you up on that for shits:

>Travel
The flapping was annoying certainly, but at least there was an attempt at interactivity. I love Wind Waker, I loved the rolling of the ocean waves...but until I was able to warp around the map it got old FAST.

>Combat
I never had an issue with the game misinterpreting my swings. If anything, my controller fell out of sync when swimming or flying. Which took 15 seconds to fix. The ANNOYING part was needing new batteries all the time.

>dungeons
Most of them are either forgettable, or just relied too much on that ONE ITEM WOOT. Of course, many Zelda's have had that issue lately. They were okay, but I don't remember them all that well either.

>and items
I kinda liked that stupid beetle thing, it was like having my very own "Drone for Retards". Sure, it was never used for more than basic exploration and to HIT THAT SWITCH z0MG!!!, but it was entertaining. Bowling for Bombs was a riot, the Bow felt great...don't remember the other items.

>Demise is Ganon!!!
More the other way around, but your point stands. How many times must Link drive the sword into the badnic's forehead before we get sick of it?

>Fi
She could be annoying (oh God shut up you bitch ho I'll sleep when I fucking WANT to sleep go make me a sammich with your fucking FEET!), but there were several instances where she's funny (Goselle, definitely)

>Gratitude Crystals
Utter Retardation. Blech. At least there was no Tingle...outside the sex doll Zelda had in her room.
>>
>>338225315
>says TP has more than stalfos
>i-it wasn't wrong

it's passed your bed time, the adults are talking

>>338225408
The dungeons are the least i've heard complained about SS and one of the few things I think they did right (except the second volcano one, fuck that one)
>>
>>338225553

Not him but TP's dogs were basically Stalfos dogs. In essence they aren't any different from the Stalfos children in OoT other than them being dogs.
>>
>>338225680
even considering that, we have poes in TP so he's wrong regardless
>>
>>338225197
If something ceases to be a flaw the moment someone is alright with it, then what even constitutes a legitimate flaw anymore?
>>
>>338207765
Zero.
After Skwyard Sword, you shouldn't expect anything. Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing anymore.
>>
>>338225525

Gratitude Crystals were like the one thing SS had in terms of sidequesting. Granted, it basically amounted to a poor man's MM (as does all of Skyloft) but without them you'd pretty much just have bamboo cutting and Goddess Cubes.
>>
>>338207765
I have a Famitsu Bros Ocarina on my desk, does that answer your question?
>>
>>338225408
>>338225197
I'm not letting this oversimplification slide. Fi wasn't annoying. Fi interfered with the act of playing Skyward Sword. Before all of her other shit that might grate a player: she was a interface obstacle to even playing the game itself.
>>
>>338207765
10 because Im going to E3 and will get to play the demo. Did the same with Skyward Sword.
>>
File: Fi and Midna.jpg (210 KB, 773x1000) Image search: [Google]
Fi and Midna.jpg
210 KB, 773x1000
>>338225795

Because as I said, most of what people are calling flaws (the character personalities, story, dungeons, etc.) can't really be called flaws as they're subjective issues. Fi being intrusive is something nobody can deny, although some can claim she isn't as annoying to them as she is to others.
>>
>>338224930
Their censorship was strong up to the Mortal Kombat fiasco, where it started to die down out of necessity. During the N64 and GameCube generations NoA let a LOT go past that otherwise wouldn't (Conker - a Great game, & uncensored BMX XXX - a shitty game, anyone?). Sure, it confused Japan, but they let it slide since Howard & what's-his-name who was HIS boss seemed to know what they were doing.

From the Wii & DS on, Nintendo has decided to go back to the bad-old days of censoring up the wazoo. And to make things worse, their "localizations" have been ass quality. I'd take Bill Clinton jokes like in the PS Lunar games over what we've seen lately.

So yeah, you can say Nintendo has always censored. But you'd only be speaking half truths. It's the LEVEL they're censoring at I find insulting. Especially in places where it's just not needed.
>>
>>338226171

Adopt a trip and post impressions afterwards.
>>
>>338226120

And I never said she wasn't intrusive. Yet it can be said that she wasn't as interfering to some people as she was to others. Some people do get used to the shortcomings of a game, it's just how things are as pretty much all games have a scruple about them.
>>
File: 643px-Linkalttpr.png (231 KB, 643x600) Image search: [Google]
643px-Linkalttpr.png
231 KB, 643x600
Guys...
Guys...
Get this...
Guys...
Listen...
The game was in production for like 4 years, They announced it was going to be done by the end of 2015, before they said "Oops! Actually we just now figured out how to make open world fun guys. We just got all these new ideas suddenly. We're totally not creatively bankrupt. We promise we just need some more time to work out all of these amazing ideas we just thought of after the game was almost complete"
Then, they announce the game for 2016.
Then, they announce the game for 2017.

Just face the fact that they have no idea what they're doing. They're going to polish another turd, and ship that out. And another generation will defend the game, too blinded by the sheen to see all the flaws.
>>
>>338225793

In the case of TP, maybe. But it's not like there was ever that much diversity to the "night enemies", day and night were really just meant for atmosphere for the most part in the 3D Zeldas.
>>
File: Sailing in Wind Waker.png (2 MB, 1546x794) Image search: [Google]
Sailing in Wind Waker.png
2 MB, 1546x794
>>338224313
I love setting my controller down when I play video games.

So rotating your wrist is awkard for you. You might have nerve damage if you can't handle that. And if you're flapping your arm, you're fucking retarded. You flick your wrist like snapping horse reins, you don't flap your arm like a bird wing. You're Link, not the bird.

It's the same thing as every other 3D Zelda, either use an item, don't z-target, or use whatever hopping or sword techniques they give you.
What's wrong with waggle when an enemy is stunned? It's the same thing as mashing an attack button when an enemy is stunned, just the attack input repeatedly at high speed.

Okay so you admit SS dungeons are better. That was an easy one.

Do items not count because they've been in other games? I get not counting bombs and arrows (even though the controls were great and worth mentioning) but the clawshots don't count because they're from TP? The scattershot was great if you think fighting bokoblins is tedious. The Mogma mitts are cool. I was counting shields in with items because of how their treated in SS, so I can see you not calling SS's items a "success." My post was written with the SS vs WW comparison in mind, and WW's items were THE DEKU LEAF and uhhh so whatever. Call it a wash if you want to.

Context is important, less towns was a good thing in SS. TP shows you why, Kakariko was a fucking bomb stand and a donation box. I'd rather have all my shops and most sidequests in the one spot so I can buy what I need and turn in my shit without having to make another stop for just one thing.

The harp worked fine. I'd rather have something like the ocarina back, of course. But it wasn't broken. Going off how you think you fly, you could be fucking this one up too.

>muh batteries

Ganon is a pig. Who cares if TP ended with a sword fight, SS was all about sword fighting. I'd be annoyed if it didn't have a grand sword duel. I mean that's what Ghirahim was setting you up mechanically for.
>>
>>338226331
NCL actually LOVED Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Also, always remember that Howard Lincoln was a little bitch during that senate meeting about violent videogames that had both Nintendo and Sega.
>>
File: 1408599740029.gif (110 KB, 443x622) Image search: [Google]
1408599740029.gif
110 KB, 443x622

I love every Zelda game. I am literally the person that /v/ hates who just plays every Zelda game indiscriminately because I just like Zelda. The only Zelda games I haven't played are the spin-off shit like Crossbow Training and Hyrule Warriors. And Zelda II, though its one of my next games.

I put a 9 instead of a 10 because although open world sounds cool in practice I rarely like them all that much. If they cram it full of crazy secrets and missions and stuff then I will be content but if its just wandering for the sake of wandering I probably won't enjoy it much.
>>
>>338226171
Video or didn't happen.

Unless you mean, 2011 E3, in which case no-one cares. That version of Skyward Sword was the same as the one that shipped. You've got nothing.
>>
>>338226681
Points still stand though. As stated: Conker was great. And Howard being useless when speaking to the Senate isn't an issue.
>>
>>338226954
A demo of a game was the same as the game that came out? How WEIRD.
>>
>>338226652
>It's the same thing as mashing an attack button when an enemy is stunned, just the attack input repeatedly at high speed.
Exactly, so why the fuck do we need motion controls? It just slows everything down and limits the type of enemies you can have.

Oh yeah, that's another to add to the list. Taking out enemy reskins, SS has the lowest enemy variety in the whole series.

>So rotating your wrist is awkard for you. You might have nerve damage if you can't handle that.
Or I don't want to use motion controls every fucking time I go to the map.

>Okay so you admit SS dungeons are better. That was an easy one.
hurrr what is reading comprehension

>Do items not count because they've been in other games?
Pretty much. If they can be experienced the same in other games, why are they special here?
>>
>>338226637
ok, but why the fuck would it not improve on a predecessor like TP did?
>>
>>338226343
To lazy to use a trip but I'll probably post a timestamp from the Nintendo booth while I'm there.
>>
>>338226404
>Yet it can be said that she wasn't as interfering to some people as she was to others
No it can't. This is not a point of perspective you can just say "devil's advocate" or "opinions man" and move past. Fi pops up in the game forcefully at the exact same rates for everyone who plays it. That is measurably stopping playing you and me, and Jimmy next door from playing the game exactly the same.
>>
>>338227383
>so why the fuck do we need motion controls?
Attempt at immersion and letting the player feel like Link. I liked it, but then I didn't have issues with the controls like others seemed to have.
>>
>>338227437

Just what they decided to go with. I mean, the handheld games could easily do day/night now, and yet they don't really bother.
>>
>>338227227
The original demo was way better.

You didn't have to raise the sword awkwardly to pull off Skyward Strikes, Link could do backwards strikes, and chus would bipedally impede you.

Sadly, only some Youtuber that nobody even knows was competent enough to record video of the event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jk1ed2NrlQ
>>
>>338227781
ok so they remove it without compensating with anything or having a world designed around just daytime. That's pretty fucking shitty in my books
>>
>>338227632

Yes it can. What might become annoying to you might not be as annoying to Jimmy or Bobby.
>>
>>338225042
>Find me a specific instance of Fi ruining a dungeon puzzle.
The puzzle in the lanayru desert. The thing where it's shaped like a clock or whatever. I just started to get it and Fi flat-out told me the answer.

Like, what's the fucking point?

>The worst parts in Super Metroid were when you didn't know if you had to turn back or not so you spent another hour at a dead end.
Are you literally complaining about exploration

no wonder you like SS.
>>
>>338227812
Oh, if anyone watches this, the backwards skyward strike is at 3:23 btw. Where the guy goes "woah."
>>
>>338227859

Well, not everyone really minded. Again, the day/night was most an atmospheric thing, it hardly had jack to do with the gameplay beyond making nighttime travel a little challenging (emphasis on "a little"). Granted, it was strange that they did then include the monster in the town at night. Yea, they were tied to pedo-demon, but that was about it.
>>
File: 1358985496139.png (1005 KB, 900x702) Image search: [Google]
1358985496139.png
1005 KB, 900x702
>>338227781
>Hey, we didn't know how to make this feature better, so we just completely removed it and put nothing in it's place

for what purpose
>>
Only gonna play it because one friend is very hyped and I know he's gonna wanna bring it over and see what I think of it
>>
File: 1423882715705.jpg (158 KB, 432x619) Image search: [Google]
1423882715705.jpg
158 KB, 432x619
>>338226621
I hope not.

It's really weird to think that MM was made in only a year and is arguably the best Zelda ever made while SS had 5 goddamn years in-development and managed to be on the worst.
>>
File: 1343849104594.jpg (126 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1343849104594.jpg
126 KB, 420x420
>>338226806
Hyrule Warriors is pretty fun, but it gets old after a week or two. Multiplayer is a ton of fun if you gotta friend or roommate. Plus the game is just fuckloads of fanservice. Would recommend.
>>
>>338227692
I got the brand-spanking new Zelda-motion plus with the game and the thrust never ever worked for me. It would constantly misread my hits if I moved too fast too.
>>
>>338228061
>Again, the day/night was most an atmospheric thing, it hardly had jack to do with the gameplay beyond making nighttime travel a little challenging

Have you never played a fucking 3D Zelda game in your life? There are night specific quests, night-specific NPC's, night-specific enemies, and night-specific areas even. It changes a LOT.
>>
>>338228651

In like OoT and MM, that's about it. TP hardly had anything that went on at night beyond the poes, and WW's only real nighttime-centric quest was Mila. That's really about it, nighttime wasn't something truly integral to the games as a whole.
>>
>>338228129

Who knows. Still not the biggest loss compared to say the change in bow controls since they pretty much had the right formula for TP Wii.
>>
>>338228043
That might have just been a glitch. In any case, whoever was playing that demo was a retard.
>>
>>338229273
>TP hardly had anything that went on at night beyond the poes
Something that SS lacks.

>WW's only real nighttime-centric quest was Mila.
False. Ghost ship and several islands required the use of nights.

Don't forget that you needed the sunrise to get fire arrows in Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>338229369
I still have no fucking idea whey the wouldn't use the point for it. Don't get me wrong, I like gyro controls, but the pointer worked a million times better.
>>
>>338228475
>It would constantly misread my hits if I moved too fast too.
I think you just discovered the problem, Anon. You're waggling your arms faster than the console and handle. Try slowing it down a little and being more methodical.
>>
>>338229827
That's not fun though and it ruins my immersion of being link.
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.