[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: doom-3-cover.jpg (372 KB, 600x851) Image search: [Google]
doom-3-cover.jpg
372 KB, 600x851
What went wrong?
>>
>>338200773
they tried to add a deep story
>>
>>338200773
>hey guys, we finished this game but we forgot to give it a name
>let's call it "doom 3"
>but it has nothing to do with doom, it's going to piss people off
>you're fired
>>
>>338200773

Too fucking slow and enemies were too bullet spongey. It would be fine as some generic sci-horror shooter but it wasn't a Doom game
>>
>>338200773

I liked it. It wasn't a Doom game though except in concept.
>>
If it wasn't called Doom, would it have been looked on more favourably?
>>
nothing went wrong

doom 3 was a masterpiece of the art form it says right on the box
>>
I really enjoyed Doom 3.
>>
>>338201985
nah it was full of stupid shit like the flashlight and tiny closets with enemies inside
>>
File: Doom3.jpg (3 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Doom3.jpg
3 KB, 320x200
immensely enjoyes
>>
>>338200773
It tries to be a survival horror game. It's like and insanely slow Half-Life with a shitty story.

So Half-Life 2.
>>
>>338200773
It made me enjoy D44M
>>
>>338200773
It's John Carmack building a game to showcase his tech. It is heavily influenced by Half-Life 1. Without Romero Carmack was able to build this slower game to really show off the features and capabilities of his engine.
>>
>>338200773
>Enemies on rails
>That rune cube that just instakills everything
>weird horror story tacked on
>terminals
majority of game is in the dark with a flashlight that has a 10 second charge

It was just retarded for Doom. And ID spent like a whole year hyping the shit out of this game like it was going to be incredible.
>>
>>338200870
>>338200959
>>338201893
DOOM was always a horror games retard, just limitations of 1993 made it unclear
>>
>>338202817
Yeah but not in the way Resident Evil is a horror game.
>>
>>338202817
Considering every Doom release between Doom 1 and Doom 3 built upon and expanded that formula instead of trying to change everything to fit the initial vision better, they still have no excuse.
>>
>>338200773
?
>>
>>338200773
Nothing. It was really good.
>>
>>338200773
Focused on survival horror and while I loved how dark it was, bfg edition ruined it for life. Didn't feel like doom but wouldn't of been bad if it wasn't called doom
>>
>>338200773
It was alright, but DOOM is better.
>>
>>338200773
Nothing really. It's a good-great game that gets a lot of unnecessary flak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0IMQIlUMQ
>>
>>338200773

>What went wrong?

They decided instead of a fast-paced run-and-gun action game, Doom should be an atmospheric horror game with monster-closet jumpscares. The game just played too slow because of it.

I will say though, I did like some of the level design, and that the facility felt like it existed for a reason. Having the set pieces like the Hydrocon and giving background on what the machines were for was something I liked. They carried this over to the new DOOM, I think.
>>
>>338200773
It's pretty great with the flashlight mod and some weapon/sound mods but vanilla is meh at best.
>>
>>338200773
I think OG Doom was pretty scary to begin with to be honest. It even had jumpscares where they would put out the lights and open monster closets behind you.

The problem with Doom 3 is most likely that they wanted/needed to show of their incredible new graphics engine (don't forget that Half Life 2 was coming out back then as well, and I remember DN Forever was a thing too), and in order to keep a playable framerate they needed to make compromises in gameplay.

They would need less enemies on the screen, to begin with; to make up for the lack enemies, you also have to turn the ones you have into bullet sponges. These changes make the gameplay much slower, and so it makes more sense to build an atmospheric horror game around it than a more "arcade" (is this the right word here?) shooter game like the originals were.

They likely also felt they needed to follow in the footsteps of the games that were succesful then, which favored scripted events and more linear level design.

So in short, everything. I don't dislike this game, though
>>
>>338205328
>to make up for the lack enemies, you also have to turn the ones you have into bullet sponges
doom 4 had this problem too, guessing it's due to consoles, possessed aren't a threat at all and instead of swarms of demons they throw more super units at you
>>
>>338205959
I think it was a part of the trasition between 2d and 3d, to be honest. On 2D they could just stick as many enemies as they wanted on a level, on 3D it is just not as feasible, even if your game is very well optimized; 3D made up for it by allowing more creativity in level design (more vertical level design, for instance).
Though I suppose a point could be made that some of the enemies in the originals were a bit "bullet spongy" too (see: Cyberdemons) so maybe I am just talking out of my ass.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.