[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate this game? Maybe it doesn't hold up to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 18
Why do people hate this game? Maybe it doesn't hold up to TTYD, but it has a better story, soundtrack, and gameplay than SPM at least. It's also better than PM1.
>>
>>338195303
>better story

Fuck off, Shigeru.
>>
>better story
costanza.jpg
>>
File: 1419903671251.jpg (22 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1419903671251.jpg
22 KB, 396x400
>>338195303
>better story
>better gameplay
>BETTER THAN PAPER MARIO
>>
baited so hard I came
>>
>>338195303
>better story
it doesn't have a story. it has an opening cutscene and a final boss battle with nothing but garbage in between
>>
File: stickerstarsales.jpg (253 KB, 986x493) Image search: [Google]
stickerstarsales.jpg
253 KB, 986x493
>>
File: 1366315110162.png (140 KB, 330x264) Image search: [Google]
1366315110162.png
140 KB, 330x264
>>338195303
It doesn't even come close to SPM let alone the other two. At least SPM had a great story, great writing, great characters, some genuine ambition and a top tier soundtrack.
>>
>>338195742
you made this up didn't you? Just admit people liked Sticker Star and will rush out to buy Color Spash eventually.
>>
File: paper mario backgrounds.png (492 KB, 1280x1005) Image search: [Google]
paper mario backgrounds.png
492 KB, 1280x1005
fuck this. paper mario thread? post paper mario pics
>>
>>338195984
>>
File: Gooper Blooper.png (82 KB, 293x177) Image search: [Google]
Gooper Blooper.png
82 KB, 293x177
>>338195726
>it doesn't have a story.

Shows what you know.
>>
>>338195303
>Sticker Star
>Better than PM64
>>
File: goy.png (141 KB, 293x263) Image search: [Google]
goy.png
141 KB, 293x263
>>338196357
I'm laughing. Compare that to the entire lore surrounding Rogueport in TTYD.
>>
File: 1457113804162.png (38 KB, 198x141) Image search: [Google]
1457113804162.png
38 KB, 198x141
>>338195303
>It's also better than PM1.
>>
>>338196182
What's wrong with that Toad on the left?
>>
>shit opinions: the post
>>
>>338196568
>lore
>>
>>338195303
>better story
>Than the most story driven PM game

Your not even trying
>>
>>338196568
Compare it to PM64 even. I may be remembering wrong since the game is pretty unmemorable but you only get those little story segments in Sticker Star after each boss and nothing really happens during the world.
>>338196634
It's unique for now.
>>
>>338196182
>green toads
Too unique. Fix it.
>>
It's so boring I don't know how anybody could stand it. It's like a platformer adventure game hybrid where there's minimal platforming and no real puzzles.
>>
>>338196726
http://www.mariowiki.com/Grifty#Grifty.27s_Tales
>>
>>338195303
>better than PM1
You successfully triggered me
>>
Do you guys think HAL could make a decent Paper Mario game if the project was given to them? I feel like the Kirby games kind of capture the paper mario n64 feel pretty well
>>
>>338196608
Just give me the free hp fp heal numnums and no one has to die
>>
File: 1454567067190.gif (477 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1454567067190.gif
477 KB, 500x281
>>338195303
>>
>>338195303
>It's also better than PM1
Fuck you, I can't resist this bait. Kill yourself for even typing that.
>>
The weakest of the series, but the gameplay makes sense because it's a portable game and meant to be played in short bursts
>>
>>338199365
This is such a dumb excuse, I'm tired of seeing it.

You know what other handheld RPG series doesn't have to sacrifice strong gameplay and is all on handhelds? The fucking Mario and Luigi games. This is not an excuse at all.
>>
>>338199531

The Mario & Luigi games don't have that much story, hell the one people like most(SSS) has huge stretches between story.

And people started to like it less as they increased the amount of insipid dialogue up to Dream Team which was pretty poorly paced.
>>
>>338195742
What did Nintendo even expect? They took a game series that was initially aimed and successful with older children and become more successful and aimed towards early teens, and proceeded to design and market it for small children. No market means no sales!
>>
>>338200557
Just saying, but that Anon mentioned gameplay only, not story.
>>
File: Ancient Drupe.png (919 B, 39x40) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Drupe.png
919 B, 39x40
>>338195817
Even the fruit are well-designed in SPM. Tell me you wouldn't take the biggest bite out of this juicy nigger.
>>
>>338198438
I dunno, but freeing it and other promising Nintendo franchises from the reigns of a panicky and tired leadership would help... well, everything about Nintendo immensely.
>>
File: Sticker Star final boss.jpg (15 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
Sticker Star final boss.jpg
15 KB, 290x174
You know how people like Sean Malstrom are butthurt about later Zelda games not being exactly the same as the first two? That's what's happening to Paper Mario right now.

Note how Malstrom proudly declares he doesn't actually play the newer Zelda games, but believes the originals are better anyway. It's the same deal with Sticker Star. Seeing people try and pretend the combat is 'dumbed down' is laughable, considering how this is easily the most difficult Paper Mario game ever made.
>>
File: rage.png (8 KB, 409x258) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
8 KB, 409x258
loved the characters, art, and music.

story was bland predictable garbage

But the ABSOLUTE WORST PART was the SHIT ASS GAMEPLAY

ok yeah walking around and figuring out puzzles was no much worse or better than expected of that kind of thing. but the FUCKING COMBAT.

JESUS CHRIST. Whose idea was it to take the charming RPG elements that drew people to paper mario and replace them with fucking CONSUMABLE STICKERS. It is absolutely dreadful. It is a game designed to be an RPG where you actively want to avoid any combat because you don't want to use up stickers. This is a game where your attacks are consumable items. How the fuck did anyone think this was a good idea. And if you are an RPG player like me who is stingy as fuck with items then this game is literally unplayable. So they took the combat part of paper mario, one of the funnest parts of the game, and just completely shit on it.

And yes I fucking mad. This game couldve been at least decent instead of some FUCKING STICKER MEME
>>
My mom loved it, is there any games like this on 3DS ?
>>
>>338201814
Case in point, this post here. In reality, tying specific moves to consumable items was a great move, since it prevents players from merely spamming all of their best attacks.

It's also worth pointing out that winning battles gets you more coins, which is essential to buying the best stickers. The 'battles are worthless!' meme is a complete joke to those of us who have actually finished it.
>>
>>338202058
But battles are worthless. You waste stickers to get money to buy stickers. You wouldn't need to do so if you didn't use the stickers in the first place.

And bosses are meant to be fought with their one weakness that trivializes them.
>>
File: raymoo.png (515 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
raymoo.png
515 KB, 1000x1000
>>338195303
>better story, soundtrack, and gameplay
>>
>>338202058
>since it prevents players from merely spamming all of their best attacks.
You mean like how BP prevented you from doing so?
>>
>>338201671
It is dumbed down, and it is difficult. It's shit combat, that's the explanation. It's 100% shit. In graphics, story, music, style, creativity, puzzles, gameplay, and combat. It's the definition of a 0/10. There's diarrhea that's more well-structured than Sticker Star.
>>
>>338195303
>better story
>better gameplay
>better than PM1

Are you coming off of some sort of medication?
>>
>>338202058
gee that sounds like fun. making like 10% progress on a stage and having to go back to town every 10 minutes to buy stickers and then dodge the same enemies every time to try and make any more progress. There is a reason the vast majority of the gaming community disliked the game. And it is because the game was actually shit. Stop trying to convince yourself it was good because you were braindead enough to drudge through all of the shit.
>>
>>338202216
Again, proving that you didn't play it. You waste weaker stickers to pay for more powerful stickers.

And no, the boss fights in the game are pretty solid, especially in the later half. I'd say the Bowser fight in the end is the best in the series. You really have to think about what stickers you want to use to beat him. I feel like the first boss (And ONLY the first boss) is trivialized just to give you a demonstration on how Thing stickers work in this game.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 600x693) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 600x693
SPM was rly good.
>>
Damn, /v/. Remember when Paper Mario threads were good? Sticker Star did a number on us, but color splash really did kill everything, didn't it? GG, Nintendo.
>>
>>338202058
So let's get this straight, the purpose of battles is to get coins, so you can spend coins on more stickers, which you spend in battle.

Do you realize this is just circular and all of it can simply be subverted with no negative consequences? If you just run from battles, you don't spend stickers, which means you don't need more money, which means you don't need to battle.

>But you get BETTER stickers!

Who the fuck cares if you're not battling anyway?
>>
All this thread is doing is giving me an itch to replay the original Paper Mario.
>>
>>338201671
No idea who this Malstrom person is but the combat is dumbed down. Literally everything is a A button press unlike 64 & TTYD where there's charging up meters like Bombette, or trying to hit a reticle or doing a series of button inputs (varying from A, B, Y & X) in a row with Vivian. Crystal Stars like Power Lift where you have to go around to get Defense and Attack on a, shooting FP & HP icons with Sweet Treat by using the analogue stick are also a thing. In Sticker Star the only thing complicated about is pressing A at the right time, knowing what item to use where and even then you're limited to the enemy in the front and the Battle Spinner is a nuisance that isn't fun in my opinion since it dictates how many attacks you use at once.
>>338202058
Coins are literally everywhere in any stage you're in giving you no incentive to fight for them and you get even more of them at the end of every stage.
>>
File: 1383459444951.jpg (343 KB, 800x750) Image search: [Google]
1383459444951.jpg
343 KB, 800x750
>>338195303
>it has a better story, soundtrack, and gameplay than SPM at least. It's also better than PM1.
>>
>>338202316
That's easily mitigated by abusing recovery items, sleeping at an inn (Or in the second game) merely hitting a recovery block. All of which are everywhere, and then promptly allow you to go back to exploiting the game's combat.

>>338202376
More proof that you never even played it.

>>338202464
It's really only autistic TTYD fans who hate it. Plenty of more laid back fans enjoyed the game, but they get overshadowed by you retards. Again, I have to repeat just how obvious it at how most of the game's biggest detractors have never played past the first world.
>>
>>338202576
It makes sense, once there's a huge vocal outcry for something (which Color Splash really ignited) people will start to jump on the opposite opinion since it does legitimately get annoying seeing bitching over it so much.
>>
>>338202656
I'm pretty sure like 90% of /v/ agrees this game was a total disaster.

The 10% that somehow put up with this game's shit and beat it (what in the fuck is wrong with these people i dont know) are the only ones that will defend this. It was a flawed system from the get go but the devs decided they dug themselves too far into the sticker meme to turn back now and what we got was a shit smear on one of the greatest nintendo franchises
>>
>>338202576
There's always swings and roundabouts. Metroid went through dark days after Other M, but now we're having decent threads again.
>>
File: Metroid fanbase cameo.jpg (46 KB, 638x501) Image search: [Google]
Metroid fanbase cameo.jpg
46 KB, 638x501
>>338202945
No, Paper Mario ''''fans'''' just aren't willing to admit that they are nothing more than a very vocal minority. Rather like Metroid fans, actually.
>>
>>338203072
The 10% is just shitposters. Never attribute to stupidity what you can attribute to superstupidity.
>>
>>338201671
You know what the difference here is? Zelda typically adds things. Whether those things are good or bad is subjective, but it feels like the series has gone forward since the first game at least.

Paper Mario went backwards because it removed far more than it added to the series. It's changed by becoming a lesser form of what it used to be.
>>
>>338202545

I'm not that other anon. I'm glad you personally enjoyed it. But I gotta say, I thought all the boss fights (including the Bowser fight) were boring as hell. It's treated more like a puzzle rather than just a fight. If you like that, that's cool. But it didn't feel very RPG-like, which is what people would have preferred. It sucked beating the first boss without a "thing" sticker and having kersti nag you about it. I just wanted to fight the damn thing without watching a 10 second animation do the fighting for me. God forbid Kamek makes you use good stickers and you have to leave to buy more.

I really do try to like this game. I've even gone back to play it again. But then I just end up being a salty baby about it. I really didn't enjoy it. I even think the visuals are kind of lifeless (same with color splash). Hate me for that if you guys want, but it looks like an empty shoe box diorama, which I guess is what they were going for? Everyone being self aware about being paper is annoying as shit too.
>>
>>338202868
I'm sorry to tell you this anon but if you somehow justified all of this game's flaws to yourself just so you could finish it, you are the retarded one. Stop trying to be a fucking hipster .It was a bad game. All of your arguments are 'b-but you didnt even finish the first world.' Yeah theres a reason most people didnt make it past the first few worlds of this game: because it wasn't worth anyones time. The story wasn't anything special and there was literally no reason to actually try and progress.
>>
>>338203274
This actually isn't true. Paper Mario stripped away the story elements to focus on creating a much more gameplay oriented RPG. Which really improved the way the overworld played, in my opinion.

I feel like most Paper Mario fans really forget just how annoying the backtracking in TTYD got, and how Sticker Star took steps to fix that.
>>
>>338203436
Yes, the backtracking was bad, but just try and compare how much Sticker Star removed to how much it added.

It removed the RPG elements, it removed badges, it removed partners, it changed out the story and characters for generic "standard Mario" ones. But what did it really add? It had sticker puzzles and fixed some backtracking issues. That's not nearly enough to make up for those big gaps it created.

I would still ultimately call it a regression for the series.
>>
>>338203436
You act as if the original games didn't have gameplay and was only story focused. It had both & tried balancing it, you used your partners to get around and uncover secrets & in TTYD you had the "Curse" abilities to help Mario get around (both things Sticker Star striped for just simple "place x sticker here" puzzles).

There are other ways than to make a world map that doesn't feel separated from each other and stage-based like Sticker Star did, hell SMRPG did it better since it felt like you simply went off screen into the map and went to the next area instantly, nothing was labeled like stages and it transitioned way better and wasn't just "You have 4 paths, choose where to go which randomly turn into a new area". They could've clearly used a simple teleportation mechanic using the normal map that's in the pause screen for the first 2 games.
>>
>>338195303
> it has a better story, soundtrack, and gameplay than SPM at least
No, but I guess someone might--
> It's also better than PM1.
Kill yourself and take Miyamoto with you.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.