[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just How Bad Is It?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: RE6.png (105 KB, 250x290) Image search: [Google]
RE6.png
105 KB, 250x290
I'd like to preface by saying that I've never played any Resident Evil game prior to RE4. I absolutely loved RE4. I'm currently playing RE5 and really enjoying it. I was a bit hesitant because I heard so many people give RE5 shit while still praising RE4 and I just don't understand it. They really don't feel that different. I could understand why diehard fans of the old fixed-camera RE games would dislike RE5, but I would think that those same people would also hate RE4 as well.

So let's look at RE6.
In comparison to RE5, is it really that different or that bad? If so, what's so bad about it?
Anyone here who played RE5 and liked it but then hated RE6? Why?

I'm really trying to figure out if it's worth getting when it's cheaper.
>>
As somebody who loves 4 and 5, 6 was a huge disappointment.

It has great gameplay surrounded by bad everything else. It's 4 campaigns that try to act as of they are self-contained. Which makes the pacing and just general flow of the game really, really bad.

Also stuff won't stop exploding.
>>
Voicing my opinion doesn't even feel worth it anymore but here goes.

It's not bad. In fact, it's quite fun. All the nitpicks and complaints, I won't deny, but it's all a matter of perspective. If you go in wanting to hate it or thinking it'll be flawless, you'll obviously take those flaws and turn them to be the greatest offenses a game designer could make. However, if you go in wanting to have a good time and look over the unfortunately present flaws, you'll find a good time and one of the best action games of the 7th gen.
>>
>>338179143
Stuff has literally been exploding since the first game, both by release and chronological order. Everything in RE explodes, get over it. If there is a vehicle, it will be blow up.
>>
>>338179683
Yeah but before it atleast felt a bit more earned.

In 6 it happens so often that when it's time to shoot a rocket launcher at the final boss I felt nothing.
>>
>>338178651
>love 4
>like 5 & Revelations
>accepted a long time ago that RE has just become straight up action
>get 6
>couldn't get midway through Leon's campaign without uninstalling and returning
It's pretty bad, anon. I will never understand how anyone can defend it.
>>
>>338178651
i really disliked it. dropped it after 15 minutes due to the terrible QTEs.
>>
6 was alright. You just have to stick with it long enough for it to click.
>>
>>338180443
Wasn't there an option to disable QTEs?
>>
>>338180671
you serious? if i can get confirmation on that i might actually reinstall and play it again.
>>
>>338178651
I actually prefer 6 to 5. 5 is just an inferior 4 while 6 tries to be something different and at the same times fix things I didn't like in 5.

>>338179362
This nigga knows.
>>
>>338180628
Disagree, the longer you stick with RE6, the worse it gets.

4 campaigns was a horrible idea and makes the game feel bloated and drawn out as fuck.
>>
>>338180825

After a quick search I found this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxV_RRW4-I

I didn't watch it so I don't know if it works or how useful it is.
>>
>>338181103
Jake's joystick QTE was already filled when it started so I guess it works.
>>
Played a handful of RE games spanning the franchise and I honestly really enjoyed RE6 it was much better than 5. RE6 just felt like one hell of an adventure.
>>
>>338178651

Best gameplay. Chris' campaign is usually considered the worst as it focuses GoW-like combat the most, although you can still do those sweet CQC moves which honestly make the game great.

It has troubles with explaining the mechanics to player plus an irritating inventory control system. It also starts off pretty slow with the so-so introduction and Leon's first segment but it gets better with the pacing later on.

It's a solid 7.5/10, give or take a point. I also thought I could say I loved every RE game I played, especially since I avoided obvious crap like ORC but Revelations broke that flawless track for me, THAT game was mediocre - at best.
>>
Best Mercs mode since the 3DS game, rest was meh
>>
File: 1433171773605.gif (839 KB, 450x402) Image search: [Google]
1433171773605.gif
839 KB, 450x402
Great gameplay, clusterfuck of a story.

I had to look up what was happening because I was so lost. Usually that's something reserved for the souls games.
>>
>>338181339
The inventory feels great once you learn you don't have to press triangle anymore.
>>
>>338181496
>dat webm
is there more
>>
>>338178651
>I could understand why diehard fans of the old fixed-camera RE games would dislike RE5
I'm an old school fixed camera resi fan, I hated 4 and especially 5.
action over the shoulder but cant even aim and move at the same time.
on the flip side when I accepted the fact they had butchered resi games with not a zombie in sight RE6 was a great surprise to see zombies in 1 of the scenarios again.
aim, reload and move all together, the cover system is one of the best I have seen in any 3rd person shooter game, as well is the dodge and floor roll.
good for coop too.
resi has gone down the drain imo, 6 was the best of the 3rd person game that I have played
>>
>>338181496
>those old maid nips

kek gross
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neAOruo0OrQ

Sounds fun except QTE shit.
>>
>>338181496
was this really in the game?
>>
>Leon's campaign Pre China 8/10
>China 5/10
>Jake's campaign Pre China 7/10
>China 9/10
>Chris' campaign Pre China 6/10
>China 3/10
>>
File: 1404842986587.jpg (913 KB, 945x1080) Image search: [Google]
1404842986587.jpg
913 KB, 945x1080
>>338181790

of course
>>
RE6 was way better than RE5.
>>
>>338181764
See >>338181103
>>
RE6 is legitimately one of the worst games I have ever played. I never played Mercenaries, which is apparently the good part of the game, but the campaigns are complete shit. There's nothing redeemable about any of them. I played the entire campaign co-op, and it took all my power to not alt-F4 throughout the entire thing. Co-op usually can carry any piece of shit game, but this game was a special piece of shit with extra turd flavored sprinkles on top of it.
>>
>>338178651
Re6 has its moments. It worth the $15 at Best Buy. If you're on pc its even cheaper on cdkey sites. Its nothing like 4, but its a fun game if you ignore the qte shit and dont care its not like old RE
>>
>>338178651
giraffe
>>
>>338178651
I have been playing resident evil since the beginning. I liked 5 but i was not thrilled with the partner or multiplayer. 6 was a big let down because it went full action game.
That being said, i bought the rerelease and knowing what i was getting myself into, and the shock and let down being far less, i had a really good time and actually played all the campaigns.
>>
It's good enough. People flinging shit at it do it because that's the default routine with new games. Most if not all people very rarely provide a proper argument against the game.
The only thing that sucks about RE6 is that half-assed inventory system, some of the silly zombie designs and that's it.
>>
>>338182049
Once I learned how to Quick Heal and use d-pad to browse the inventory, I can say that it's waay better than 5's.
>>
>>338181620
I don't know I liked hot keying guns and healing items to the d-pad.
>>
>>338181861
China has the worst level textures as well.
It's like poetry, it rhymes.
>>
>>338178651
It's an amazing game, but you have to play it in split-screen coop.
Yes, the plot is stupid and there are too many cutscenes, but it doesn't matter. It's fast, has probably the best TPS controls ever made and it's a long game, with many differents enviroments.
Just don't make the mistake of playing it alone or with some random online.
>>
>>338182281
But the AI is invincible, has infinite ammo and you can paint target for him/her.
>>
>>338178651
Play coop or you will have a terrible time
>>
>>338178651
Giraffe blowjob simulator 6
>>
>>338182406
That's why you shouldn't play it alone. Having an invincible partner in levels designed for coop play takes the fun out of it.
>>
>>338182049
The level design is really bad honestly.

Outside of mercs, the game doesn't show off its mechanics well at all, and the layout of the environment is so that you could be forgiven for thinking you should just play it like any other TPS. The story is also really weak, too much set piece shit and the campaigns really overstay their welcome while never really having any standout moments.

Even if you critique it in a vacuum there are some fundamental issues.
>>
>>338182473
This is wrong, I did solo on pro and had no problems.
>>
File: Resident Evil 7.gif (479 KB, 400x173) Image search: [Google]
Resident Evil 7.gif
479 KB, 400x173
>>338181905

It has the best combat system out of the newer over the shoulder games, just has a terrible everything else. It's why people say the Mercenaries mode is the best thing about it, which it is.
>>
>>338178651
I'm never going to get over that fucking logo.

No way that wasn't deliberate
>>
>>338178651
the camera and lighting makes me feel sick, and not in the good way that survival horror should it just seems really amateurish
>>
https://youtu.be/kdKlvjOQn-s

This trailer came out in 2005 for RE5. We were all still reeling from how great RE4 was, stunned by the drastic and successful changes capcom made to the series. We were told that the sun would have drastic effects on gameplay. Things like mirages, heat stroke, cover were all gameplay mechanics. The game was going to focus on stealth, horror, planned attacks. Perhaps interaction with non infected people's to survive and build your character and the story.

Years and years later, we get steroid man and his negroid princess mowing down monsters with machines guns.
>>
>>338182771
What am I supposed to be seeing?
>>
File: 1411204790431.jpg (23 KB, 412x412) Image search: [Google]
1411204790431.jpg
23 KB, 412x412
>>
>>338178651
It's actually very good, but it wasn't the Resident Evil people wanted.
>>
>>338182920
>things like mirages, heat stroke, cover were all gameplay mechanics

That sounds fucking terrible, those "mechanics" only belong in some walking simulator.
>>
The shooting is terrible. From the aiming, to the hit feedback on enemies, to the anemic sounds guns make. It's amazing this game came out after 4 and 5, which had the kind of satisfying shooting that made you subconsciously hip thrust every time you fired a shotgun. Guns are pretty much just used to set up melee finishers on enemies since that's the only way to kill anything in any reasonable amount of time.

There's some cool stuff you can do with the movement but the game actively discourages you from using any of since campaign tends to have cramped level design when it isn't just throwing you into a minigame. It only really comes into its own in a side mode. And even then the games only actually fun in a side mode within that side mode which wasn't even included in the original release.
>>
>>338183184
On higher diffuculties you're pretty much forced to use those mechanics as only shooting enemies will empty your ammo before killing half the enemies in an average to big encounter.
>>
>>338182582
Oh I see. But I don't think it takes the fun out of it, rather it may helps new players be less frustrated, compared to RE5's AI.
>>
File: 266.gif (623 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
266.gif
623 KB, 200x189
>>338183036
holy shit
>>
File: screenshot.jpg (113 KB, 1245x659) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.jpg
113 KB, 1245x659
>>338179683
>>338180284
He's right you know. 6 is the michael bay of resident evil games. It seems like their approach was to try and cram as many explosions and ridiculously over the top action sequences as possible. It gets to the point where it becomes comical, and not in a good way. For example pic related: the part where he's hanging off the bottom of a helicopter, and then jumps to other helicopters as you shoot down the multiple helicopters that keep flying up behind your helicopter, which is being hit by missiles that sometimes you intercept with gunfire. And that's just one example of many.
>>
>>338183184
This. Shotguns feel like popguns, the camera is way too close and high up so they can do the Gears of War roadie run so you can't see anything, you trip over crap you can't see constantly, there's no option to walk by default, and the inventory system is even worse than 5.
>>
>>338183370
Not really. Even on the highest difficulty the game is still piss easy.
>>
>>338183184
>The shooting is terrible. From the aiming, to the hit feedback on enemies, to the anemic sounds guns make. It's amazing this game came out after 4 and 5, which had the kind of satisfying shooting that made you subconsciously hip thrust every time you fired a shotgun. Guns are pretty much just used to set up melee finishers on enemies since that's the only way to kill anything in any reasonable amount of time.

This is exactly how I felt about Revelations which is why I dislike the game. Spamming one melee move over and over again is tedious and having your weapons feel and act like peashooters is the greatest sin a shooter can commit.

However I haven't had any problems like you described with RE6, mostly because the melee moves there have appropriate weight, are creative and context sensitive, adding to their diversity. Because of that, using CQC feels like a reward.

>>338183834

Maybe if you play on a mobile phone using your feet. I had zero problems with visibility and I was playing on 1366x768 resolution.
>>
>>338183834
Do you know there is a FOV slider?
Or did you play the game in consoles?
>>
File: Resident Evil.jpg (44 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
Resident Evil.jpg
44 KB, 460x215
OP here. Thanks for all the opinions.

Gonna play Resident Evil HD Remaster soon after I beat RE5 since the old RE games are essential and I haven't tried them yet.

What am I in for? I've done my research and it's obviously very different from RE4 and RE5. I know I'll need to be careful with how much ammo and ribbons I use. Just how careful do I need to be? Should I just try to avoid shooting things when possible?

Anyone here played RE4 or RE5 and then went back to play the old games? Is it hard to go back or did you enjoy the old games even more than the modern over-the-shoulder games?
>>
File: il.png (211 KB, 467x467) Image search: [Google]
il.png
211 KB, 467x467
>>338183751
>multiple helicopters that keep flying up behind your helicopter
When did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>338183078
Those would have been better than a generic action game where all you worry about is which guns you want to shoot next
>>
>Camera, aiming, overall movements and actions are WAY less clunkier than RE4 and RE5
>Inventory system is shit but still better than that double-shit they used in RE5 (RE4 is still king of inventories)
>Story is equally as cheesy
>Level design is on par if not slightly better than RE4 and RE5
>QTEs can be deactivated unlike in RE4 and PUNCH BOULDER simulator
RE4 and RE5 got shat on by the general public until the next game of the franchise released, I feel like the same is happening this time around.
>>
>>338184492

re4
>>
>>338183184
>Guns are pretty much just used to set up melee finishers on enemies
Literally RE4 gameplay in a nutshell.
>>
>>338184684
The QTEs in 4 weren't that frequent, and they were used effectively in situations that made sense for them to be there.

As for the story, I'd say it's far cheesier in 6. But more importantly in 4 the story was cheesy in a good way, like a campy horror movie. That wasn't the case in 5 and 6.
>>
>>338184470

Ammo's scarce, but not that scarce outside of hard mode (which only unlocks after beating the game once). You should try to avoid killing enemies needlessly but as long as you're not emptying all your ammo into the wall you'll be fine.
There's two playable characters, Chris and Jill. I'd recommend playing Jill first since she has more inventory slots and has to carry around less keys, cutting down on the backtracking back to the item box for a first time player.

>>338184684

>RE4 and RE5 got shat on by the general public until the next game of the franchise released

lol what. People fucking loved RE4 the second it came out. RE6 apologists are so delusional.
>>
>>338184470
If you aren't accustomed to tank controls on the stick and/or have bad d-pad, I'd suggest using M+KB controls. They are a bit wonky within inventory, but otherwise intuitive and ergonomic. The definitive press of a button helps with going exactly where you want.
>>
>>338185161
>krauser knife fight
>>
>>338185473
Yes, what about it?
>>
>>338185161
4 has almost as many QTEs than 5 and 6 together.
>>
>>338184470
I never really enjoyed the early ones, played 4, hated the old ones. Not being to aim and needing to empty a magazine into a zombie to kill it pissed me off as a kid.
5 was eh.
6 looks bad but I'll pick it up for $5 or something one day.
>>
>>338184684
>Level design is on par if not slightly better than RE4 and RE5

Now you're just being silly Anon.
>>
>>338178651
Fuck you. Re 6 is great.
>>
>>338185582
I seriously doubt that. Play through them again and count them.
>>
>>338178651
Good combat mechanics, but have some really questionable level design.
>>
>>338185886
This also 4 qte didn't always lead to instant death some can still be avoided just by moving out of the incoming attacks way.
>>
>>338185161
>The QTEs in 4 weren't that frequent
People understimate the amount of QTEs RE4 had.
Even if that was true, still more frequent than RE6 QTEs if you deactivate them.

>>338185192
>People fucking loved RE4 the second it came out.
No they didn't. RE4 got the biggest amount of shit of all games in the franchise (minus Raccoon City) for "not being RE anymore".
Talk about delusion.

>>338185772
>Now you're just being silly Anon.
If you say so.
Explain what makes level design good and we might reach an agreement about RE4 half-assed design being better or not than RE6.
>>
>>338186675
>4 qte didn't always lead to instant death
Neither did 6 QTEs.

You are mixing different kinds of QTEs here. In RE4 if you failed a boulder QTE for example, you died. Same happened with RE6 if you failed explosion#999 QTE. Those are 'cutscene' QTEs.
In RE6 you could fail counter-attacks and not die just like you could fail dodges against Bitores Mendez and not die.
>>
Was so excited when i finally got it. Played the campaign of chris till the train bridge level, thought what a bullshit game and never played it again.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.