[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls III sucks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10
File: dark-souls-iii.jpg (4 MB, 2768x1557) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-iii.jpg
4 MB, 2768x1557
So... what's the hype about? This game is worse in (almost) every way than the original Dark Souls 1.

>Linear level design
>Bonfire warping right from the get go
>BONFIRES EVERY 4 FEET
>Zero replayability, NG+ holds nothing interesting at all, and you could just respec if you wanted to try another build
>Awful online mechanics
>Auto-summoning is a joke for a majority of the player-base
>Can't invade after boss is killed
>Gameplay mechanics make everything but straight swords fun / viable to use. Using any other weapon class (or magic) is only gimping yourself

Anything I've missed? I'm seriously disappointed by this game. I really miss how they didn't have a Blighttown-esque area (no, I do not miss Blighttown itself). What I do miss is how you felt lost in DS1, never knowing what would come next or when/where the next bonfire would be. Wandering around an unknown area with a ton of souls was incredibly atmospheric. I'll just go back to playing DS1 over and over again I guess.
>>
>>338154672
K
>>
>can't invade after boss is killed
rong
>>
>>338154672
Let them have their honeymoon, anon.
>>
>>338155170
Yeah I think that's probably it. I mean, I still enjoy the combat and overall "gameplay" but going back thinking about other aspects of the game (like those in the OP) just makes me turned off.

I patiently await when people come to realization and start criticizing this game.
>>
>>338154672
>I'll just go back to playing DS1 over and over again I guess.
Sure, go ahead.

And realize how it doesn't really hold up and that DS3 is actually a lot better in many aspects.
>>
File: 1417842731400.jpg (146 KB, 1002x960) Image search: [Google]
1417842731400.jpg
146 KB, 1002x960
Fucking patches lowering the goddamn wall while I'm crossing. Where the fuck is the lever for raising it?
>>
When I keep replaying dark souls I just stop right after getting lordvessel or fighthing seath.

dark souls 3 I can happily just go all the way to end without loss of motivation.
>>
>>338155401
It's almost been two months. By this point MGSV was being shitted on from every direction.

The worst thing you can say about DS3 is that it has too much fanservice and doesn't feel as fresh anymore, but I don't know how you could expect the third dark souls, fifth soulsborne game to feel as fresh anymore.
>>
>>338155401
A lot of people have already started but get shit on by people calling them "sonnygers" and "muh Bloodborne" while hiding in those fashion souls threads.
>>
>>338155454
I do get that people enjoy DS1 world design philosophy, even though it kinda falls down after Anor Londo, but these worlds aren't designed for replays. Sure you can break sequence in DS1 but because you already know everything in the fucking game, really there is no point in replaying any of the Souls games other than wanting more of the same. Or maybe it's just me, I got bored of DS1 NG+ after killing Queelag first and realizing how easy the game was gonna be.

At least DS2 had the extra invaders.
>>
>>338155743
Also the NPC's are actual turboshit and not interesting in the slighest. The quests are beyond convoluted (Sirris omg).

>>338155884
Yeah I've seen those as well. Fucking hate fashion souls faggots. Especially when they explain away poise.
>>
>>338155646
on the other side when you try to cross it.
>>
Combat which consists primarily of R1 spam. Huge amount of trash enemies in open arenas instead of memorable encounters. Shortcuts are very formulaic and lose their effect. Level design's generally uninspired. NPC quests are handled horribly. Skeleton ninja's fucking jump.
>>
>>338155646
On the other side.

there's a way to get around if you go to the second floor of the belltower by the bonfire - jump off onto the roof from the outcropping
>>
>>338156028
>Sirris questline
her quest so weird. Its like " Do I have to summon or be summoned to progress her quest ? "
>>
>>338155743
Areas are shit or pretty forgettable as every NPC. Those and the magic builds being shit are the things that keep me from wanting to it play again. They also ruined the little fun I had in PVP.

It has cool bosses though.
>>
File: 1455178123434.jpg (278 KB, 662x888) Image search: [Google]
1455178123434.jpg
278 KB, 662x888
DS1 looked pretty bad like there was some sort of weird filter over the screen.
DS2 looked alright but the scenery was very bland.
DS3 is eye candy.

Still hoping from's next game will be set in the future with some warhammer, star wars or cyber punk setting.
>>
File: image.jpg (256 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256 KB, 800x450
My only complaint lies with the npc storylines and quests. I only completed 2 npc quests and that was Leonard and Greirat's because Leo pretty much told me where he would be and where to go. Other people like patches,Sirris, Sigmeiyer, the dark goth chick and that fucking pilgrim that was apparently hiding in a dark corner in fire link after saving him, all have very specific quest requirements. I never even met the pyromancer.
>>
>>338156373
This is why it is liked. Give people pretty skyboxes and cloth physics and is now a 10/10. Just forget about new or better mechanics, better world/level design and a focused story.
>>
>>338155932
People have some extremely rose-tinted glasses regarding the original Dark Souls

Sure you could take the master key and run to blighttown at the very beginning of the game but there isn't really any reason to do unless you're a speedrunner. There's really no reason to go to NG+ unless you want the achievements and/or enjoy destroying every single boss in a few hits.

I also see a lot of people complain about convoluted NPC storylines and that only makes me wonder whether they actually played DeS and DaS without a guide. First time through I literally never saw half of DeS' NPCs in anywhere else but the loading screens.
>>
>>338156786
>Sure you could take the master key and run to blighttown at the very beginning of the game but there isn't really any reason to do unless you're a speedrunner.

There are a lot of reasons to do it. For one the extra challenge of taking on Quelaag as you first boss. You can also pick up all the various weapons there (the whip's in Blighttown which means that a Simon Belmont run requires you to run there), or the materials. Or the firekeeper soul. Or you could use the other ways to sequence break to get the ember before even beating a single boss. Plus what's the problem with just doing it because you fuckin feel like fighting a different boss as your first one?
>>
>>338155170
>>338155401

Revisiting Bloodborne ended my honeymoon period. Haven't touched DAS3 in about 3 weeks.
>>
>>338156742
>Just forget about new or better mechanics, better world/level design and a focused story.
the only thing DS3 lacks out of these is the world design. It really sucks they couldn't make the world interconnect like it did in DS1.

But in many ways it seems that DS1 was a one time thing. No warping till the endgame (and being able to level up in bonfires) was great and made the everything more tense but FromSoft doesn't seem to have any interest in going back to that. Five games and DS1 is the only one that does that.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is better
>>
File: YHORM.jpg (410 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
YHORM.jpg
410 KB, 1920x1080
>Demons Souls
7/10, with a really good story/lore base, but now fairly dated and less challenging, which creates an overall less engaging and memorable experience, worlds 2, 4 and 5 are also fairly worse than worlds 1 and 3. It's worth noting however, that demons souls has spectacular level design.

Dark Souls 7.5/10

A good improvement on demons souls in terms of memorable boss design, and overall more challenging bosses. The area flow is also very nice, and the overall world design is unmatched by any game in the series in terms of verticality. The lore is also significantly engaging and works better than demons souls in terms of player discovery and theory crafting

Unfortunately, the second half of the game is significantly worse than the rest, dukes archives feels hollow and unrealised, the first seath fight is unnecessary, and should have been something else. Seath himself isn't great, lost izalith is unfinished with missing textures. And tomb of the giants feels less realised as well.

AotA: 10/10

A compliment world design to dark souls base game, feels very living and fleshed out with four fantastic bosses, not much else to say.

Dark Souls 2: 5/10

Muddy, broken and much less realised, with significantly worse level design and questionably simple boss design for 80% of the game. A story that relies on characters that were fleshed out after the game's release.

Shulva: 8/10

Although the graverobbers aren't the best boss, elana is fairly interesting mechanically, and sinh is great, but it's the level design which puts this above, it's utilises what the player sees fantastically, and genuinely feels like you are exploring a massive temple cavern with tons of shortcuts/interactive level design.

cont.
>>
>>338156786
I complained about the NPCs but I've also never played DeS because no PS3.

DS1 had a damn lot of NPCs at the fire link shrine and you came across them on your way to the next proceeding areas. If they weren't in your immediate way then they were at the beginning of some areas like when Oswald goes hollow and waits for you in the spooky area under fire link.

DS2 had sort of the same deal which is why ds3 is just kind of confusing in this respect.
>>
>>338157284
Fucking this. I just reached Gehrman again after defeating Maria and was having my ass wiped by him since I dont remember how long. But the thing is that the world really feels interesting enough to want to traverse it again and again, the combat is very fun and there's this density and focus on the design in comparison with the dispersion of DS3.
>>
>>338157615
Yeah, it seems the hub world formula is more of their liking. I wonder if it's becaus it's easier to pull or it really is a creative preference.
>>
>>338157872
>AotA
>mention the bosses
>not much else to say
Yeah, because there's nothing noteworthy about the DLC besides the bosses. The areas are all extremely bland and uninteresting in just about every way, on top of being rehashed.
>>
File: Darklurker.png (3 MB, 1920x1078) Image search: [Google]
Darklurker.png
3 MB, 1920x1078
>>338157872

Brume Tower: 9/10

Vertical level design at it's peak, the logical realised lifts/giant chains, and two of the best bosses in it's game, fume knight and sir alonne, this remains some of the most memorable content in the series, a shame then, the challenge route was particularly bad, although not enough to distract the rest.

Frozen Eleum Loyce: 6/10

Although the large scale area design is certainly impressive after dark souls 2's base game, eleum loyce relies too much on similar enemie encounters to the previous 2 dlc's, and feels in many ways, like it's somewhat rushed. The challenge route is particularly bothersome, the respawning enemy shouldn't respawn, and should instead feel like natural compliments to the somewhat unique and welcome open scale level design, they could have expanded on the history here, but leave it as a challenge route instead, somewhat disappointingly. Aava is good, but visually uninspired, lud and zallen are awful and arguably define how not to design a dark souls boss. Ivory King himself is a visually outstanding and memorable fight, but the additional enemies gimmick does get somewhat tiresome.

Bloodborne: 6.5/10

Heavily frontloaded as a game, the first third up to amelia, including old yharnam is very consistent, and very appealing, but it's the areas after which never really evolve from bloodborne's horror aesthetic reliant game design, and never really evolve that much in interesting encounter design that detriment the game, the bosses along this way in addition are far less interesting, shadows, rom, the one reborn, hemwick witches, celestial emissary, micolash and mergo's wet nurse in particular being questionable choices for mid-late game additions. I feel the streamlined approach is both the games biggest compliment, but also it's biggest detriment, the faster melee, at the expense of large scale utility and offensive "magic", armour variety, armour use, bows (outside of the dlc), rings, and weight changes.
>>
how about you just try enjoying the game without a standard?
>>
>>338154672
I'm on my fourth replay on the same character and fifth total time through the game though. I really, really like the game.

Then again apparently I'm one of the few people for whom auto summoning always works, which is weird because my internet service is garbage.
>>
File: Four Kings.jpg (42 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Four Kings.jpg
42 KB, 500x282
>>338158117

The Old Hunters: 8/10

Two fantastic bosses, one great one, laurence himself is horrendous, and the living failures are mediocre. The are design is welcomed, but doesn't flow well (but this is justified in a way by the lore), and only the hamlet evolves BB's potential significantly.

Dark Souls 3: 9/10

Boss design that begins less challenging (but still mechanically complex and well thought), before testing the players with the abyss watchers, a well defined sense of structure that doesn't fall apart, with the early-abyss watchers, carthus-yhorm and lothric castle/archdragon peak 3 act like structure most players will play through, the area design remains strong and varied throughout, with tons of shortcuts and interesting pick ups that making exploring worth it. The world design is very strong in a sense of visual continuity, the point at high wall where you look at the entire world actually shows every single outside location in the game other than firelink, which is really quite unprecedented for these games, the constant use of sound visual references between areas is also very nice. but it's certainly not as interconnected as dark souls 1 or bloodborne, which is somewhat disappointing, although also somewhat contributes to why the game doesn't fall apart like Dark Souls 1 and bloodborne. The bosses generally all feel both purposeful in the world, and unique visually, mechanically, atmospherically and musically, which is a huge plus. While some of the games bosses are simple, like yhorm, deacons and the ancient wyvern, it feels like they made a special effort in this game not to make anything as shitty as the ancient dragon, rom, micolash, the one reborn, bed of chaos or dragon god.
>>
>>338154672
>What I do miss is how you felt lost in DS1, never knowing what would come next or when/where the next bonfire would be

Yes, and just like every other souls games, once you know where they are it takes 1-2 minutes to reach the next one. They could have a bonfire every 5 steps it wouldn't matter, once you know the areas you'll just blow through them.
>>
>>338158117
>hemwick witches
>mid-late game
>complaining horror game doesn't have oversaturated lava and ice levels
>Streamlined is bad, we need more useless stats like vit,luck and "poise"!
2/10 made me reply
>>
>>338158374
>Boss design that begins less challenging (but still mechanically complex and well thought)

yhorm dude lmao just use weapon that fucks him up in 5 hits
lmao dude wolnir just hit the glowing bracelets
dude lol nameless king muh patterns
>>
Biggest issue for me was replayability. I liked in DS2 how the enemies and enemy placements were shifted around in NG+. And I could have sworn they said it would be like that in DS3. And it's not. I also liked how Bloodborne had chalice dungeons, which is a relatively easy way to keep me playing the game. I was hoping DS3 would have something like that, e.g. procedural generated areas.

I beat DS3 once but I'm can't see myself playing again until they release DLC.

I'm actually thinking about playing DS2 again.
>>
>>338157284
>>338157990

Stooop, your making me want to purchase a BloodBorneMachineâ„¢

Seriously though, is it worth it buying a PS4 just for that game?
>>
>>338158489
>muh patterns
This is literally every boss in every souls game.
>>
>>338158489
>muh patterns
woah man you pretty much just shitted on the entire souls series there
>>
>>338158589
If you're a souls fag you owe yourself to get a bloodborne machine. it serioulsy is the best in the series.
>>
>>338158589
410 dollars for one game man
It's a poor investment.
>>
>>338158589
no.

The game is really boring apart from the dlc, and insanely overhyped.

Unless you are really into horror aesthetic in a game, I wouldn't bother, as that describes 90% of bb
>>
>>338156280
That's not what I was talking about. Don't bait me.
I mean't how you have to go back to the Irithyll bridge to even notice her sign being there, like, why would you EVER cross that bridge again? There's literally a bonfire both before and after it, there's no reason to go there at all.
>>
>>338158589
Absolutely

I did and it became my Netflix/Rocket League/Bloodborne machine

The DLC is so fucking goooooodddd
>>
>>338154672
You forgot
>No Poise

At least Demon's Souls is fun.

>>338155454
I actually think that DS2 was a little better, even though that game had a lot of flaws too. The DLC areas are awesome though, and it actually has variety. Caster builds also didn't suck in DS2, but are fucking awful and terrible in DS3.
>>
>>338158589
Either borrow one or wait until it ps4 something else that interests you

It's a great game, but not worth an entire console for itself (no game is)
>>
DS2's new game plus was so much better.
>>
>>338157872
>>338158117
Probably the best and most honest reviews of these games I've read. Props faggots.
>>
>>338158724
that's fine, I have over 500 bux in League of Legends
>>
>>338154672
>BONFIRES EVERY 4 FEET
Dark Souls 1 had bonfire every 5 feet. Big deal.
>>
>>338158959
Samefag
>>
File: 525e24234.jpg (63 KB, 298x403) Image search: [Google]
525e24234.jpg
63 KB, 298x403
>try to beat a boss with muh clay clay
>2 slo and die
>equip straight sword
>win on first try
>bigger and heavier weapon do the same damage as a short and light one somehow (both being the same upgrade level)

Quality balance as always. FROM SOFT = QUALITY
>>
>>338158198
That's pretty hard to do for me anon. Teach me your ways?
>>
>>338158724
>not having a backlog in the first place
PS4 has way more than one worthwhile game anyway. That's assuming you have a good taste though.
>>
File: Dark Souls 3 map updated v2.png (160 KB, 1636x1220) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls 3 map updated v2.png
160 KB, 1636x1220
>>338157615
In a way though, I do respect that they chose to make a coherent world after dark souls 2.

It's really nice that from high wall you can see all the outside locations.

Shame about the interconnectivity though.
>>
>>338158816
>goooooodddd
Netflix users, everyone.
>>
>>338158585
I definitely remember them Miyazaki himself I think saying that they "liked how DS2 felt fresh in NG+ and they wanted to do the same for DS3".

Apparently for Memezaki, "fresh" means +variants of rings. Go figure.
>>
Is a PS4 worth getting if I'm interested in the following games: Bloodbourne, Ni-Oh, Persona 5, Tearaway, and any of the Ratchet and Clanks. Also is there anything else you guys might recommend?
>>
File: 1431805907710.jpg (300 KB, 708x1177) Image search: [Google]
1431805907710.jpg
300 KB, 708x1177
>>338158589
Rent it or kill a nigger and steal his PS4. There is not that inflated variety but the game makes it out in detail and focus. Also the combat is the best FromSoft has made in my opinion. It fiil the yearning Silent Hill left for detail and atmosphere.
>>
>>338159246
Netflix is for plebs

I beat it NG++ fists only no rolling
>>
>>338159168
Name LITERALLY one other than Bloodborne that's out as of today. Coming from a huge Bloodborne fan
>>
>>338158589
Game is good, not PS4 + game good though, unless other thing in PS4 interest you like they did for me, don't buy.
>>
>>338159093
No. But I'm too lazy to screenshot it for you.
>>
>>338154672
>Can't invade after boss is killed

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>338154672
>I'll just go back to playing DS1 over and over again I guess
I remembered that bow mechanics in DS1 sucks ass. That alone makes me avoid playing that game again.
>>
>>338159087
And Dark Souls 2 had them every 3 feet. What the fuck?
>>
>>338158857
No poise is killing me. Demon's Souls was at least pretty fun to play in PVE, didn't even notice the lack of poise. DS3 PVE without poise on the other hand.... hooo boy. And anyone who says otherwise - I dare you to play the fucking game without a straight sword.
>>
>>338159340
EDF 4.1
>>
>>338159096
yup every time

it's gotten to that point were i equip barbed ss before every boss fight and apply bleed, everything else is just gimping yourself
>>
>>338159414

it's true, most of sony's games are generic garbage

uncharted - generic shit
killzone - shit
racing games - shit

Genuinely trying hard to think if the console has any other games, because I have only cared for bloodborne and salt and sanctuary so far.
>>
>>338159168
>more than one
R&C was apparently disappointing which is a shame because I'm a massive R&C fanboy
Uncharted 4 is just more uncharted, and uncharted was never really that good
Infamous Second Son was supposed to be okay but definitely not a console seller
What else?
>>
>>338159183
It's all so tightly put together I seriously don't understand why there's no more shortcuts between them.

You'd think it took no effort at all with a map like that.
>>
>>338159518
You didn't notice the lack of poise because you hadn't played a game with it. 3 came after 1 and now you notice the issue.
>>
>>338159340
Odin's Sphere (out in two weeks), Disgaea 5, Gravity Rush and The Last of Us
>>
>>338159518
I played with a claymore through NG+2 and am now playing with the washing pole and the BKGA because my NG+3 run I've decided to do dried fingered.
>>
>>338154672
>console trash

Literally what did you expect
>>
>>338159764
>TLOU
Oh boy I can't wait to play a slightly above average game from last generation
>>
>>338159757
Why do you think poise is listed in the gane but does nothing. Gane was rushed, like all others. I have high hopes for the DLC.
>>
>>338159707
Digimon, EDF, Star Ocean, Odin Sphere, Gravity Rush, SRW etc
>>
>>338159816
DaS1 wasn't even supposed to be on PC.
>>
>>338158489
>just use weapon that fucks him up in 5 hits
Is this a meme or is that true for some people? It took me 12 at least
>>
It is still a very enjoyable and well executed game (overrated by the media, underrated by /v/)
>>
>>338160635
Did you not charge the sword fully or something?
>>
>>338159183
but it's not very realistic since everything has this "floating 100 metres up in the air" feel to it like all souls games.
>>
>>338155932
There's no point in replaying anything then, by your logic we should all commit suicide because there's no point in getting out of bed every morning or doing anything at all
>>
>>338160985
>not very realistic
no shit, the entire world of Dark Souls seems to be built on top of mountains. And in DS3 even more mountains have started appearing out of nowhere.
>>
>>338161163
>by your logic we should all commit suicide because there's no point in getting out of bed every morning
now you're getting it
>>
>>338158589
No, but then again i bought a ps4 just for TPP back when it was still a console exclusive.
>>
>>338161163
>>338161469
welcome to my world of clinical crippling depression

it's a fucking wonder i can even manage to play a video game nowadays
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.