[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is easily a more acomplished package considering the story,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: final-fantasy-x_capa02.jpg (154 KB, 660x994) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-x_capa02.jpg
154 KB, 660x994
This is easily a more acomplished package considering the story, visuals and atmosphere than either VI or VII. What exactly makes those games better story/atmosphere wise?
>>
What are you talking about? I'm playing it right now and it's pretty fucking shitty. It's nothing but hallways and cinematic experiences one after the other.
The story seemed ok at first but the pacing is the most horrendous I've ever seen. Literally nothing is happening and anime filler dialogue is plaguing every step of the way.
>Team starts talking about that ancient city we are nearing
>Oh ok time for a dungeon
>Nope just pass by it it was just a scenic guided tour
>>
>>338142076
>Horrendous pacing
You mean like VI and VII?
>>
>>338142076
What part are you on about?
>>
>>338141794
Is the remastered version any good?
>>
>>338143035
its going to be when mods are complete
>>
>>338143035
Yes
>>
>>338141794
>Makes an assertion.
>Provides no examples to back up assertion.
Well, Anon, I disagree.
>>
>>338141794
Story had an interesting thing going until you got Auron. While his purpose was to fill in the gaps, the game decides to do that while Seymour pops in to be a whole fucking side-quest. The game probably would've been better off having Seymour die with natus and having him come back as he did as Omnis. Problem is there wasn't much else left to build off. If you run back and talk to NPCs, Spira is a fucking fascinating world and the NPCs make the world live and show the constant threat under Sin. Using that could have probably worked best for Bevelle and uniting the Al Bhed and Yevon followers.
Tidus also made a horrible narrator since he's straight up doing a lets play about Yuna's life.
>>
>>338141794
>What exactly makes those games better story/atmosphere wise?
They have characters that aren't literal chodes
>>
>>338143359
>straight up doing a lets play about Yuna's life

Seriously? You're going to make that comparison?
>>
FFX made me drop the entire franchise. It's garbage through and through.
The battle system is OK, but I can play a dozen rpg on the ps1 with better systems.
>>
>>338141794
Visuals- maybe because it was a ps2 game and you are comparing it to a ps1 and supernes game? People will say visually 13 was better than 10, so what of it?
Atmosphere- That is just subjective on what you enjoy, 6 and 7 were more steam and cyber punk styles. 10 had a post apocalyptic rebuilt world with literally the dead walking around.
Story wise 6 and 7 did there own thing as did 10. 6 and 7 were more loved because it was the first for the majority of Final Fantasy fans.
>>
>>338143359
I agree, the characters that forced you to focus on were shit. You would probably like them if you were into teen dramas. I hated them, yuna need to grow some metaphorical nuts, and tidus just needed to shut the the fuck up. Seymore just needed to not exist, that fag made kuja from 9 look like before and after picture.
>>
>>338141794
It's all the same shit.
>>338143980
This
>>
>>338141794

In terms of story, FFX's criticisms largely stem from the characters and the script. Much of the cast is considered corny at best, cardboard at worst. While the overarching plot is fine, a good deal of the dialogue (and for english speakers, its delivery) strikes many as unnatural and offputting.

In terms of atmosphere, I think there's no clear winner and it's a matter of taste. It just so happens that popular taste lends to areas like Midgar and WoR being more compelling.
>>
Was there any point in having both Rikku and Kimari as characters?
They could've easily scrapped the furry race entirely, and the game would be better for it. Swap them for the Al Bhed and done. Rikku gets the Blue Magic shit and Steal.

What was even the thought process behind including the Ronso, when they have exactly one scene and one moronic character in the party that is completely devoid of personality?

It's shit like this that drags the quality of the game down immensly, because it makes it feel that they haven't thought shit through, they just wanted a blue lion guy.
>>
Playing it for the first time right now and... It's a strange package, to be honest. I just Attacked and I suppose killed Seymour at his temple in the mountains and it's just... bland.
Don't get me wrong. The world is fascinating and there's this very good message about forming your own opinions and Spira's unchanging nature and fatalism. But it's kinda hidden underneat a really, really sloppy narrative that seems to not have any sense of pacing. I don't want to sound like "that guy" but the game for the most part is

>Walk ten meters
>Listen to bland dialogue
>Kill random boss that's there only for the sake of having a boss (yuna kidnapped on the shupuff? The blob guarding the Jecht Sphere?)
>Reach a place of very great importance, only to leave five minutes later.

It's like the game wants me to love this world they built and yet doesn't want me to really grow attached to anything. Also, many of the characters come out as petulant and incredibly inconsistent (Lulu treats you like trash for the first 10 hours of the game but opens up to Rikku, an Al-bhed that has just tried to kidnap Yuna, as a great friend that is istantaneously made into a guardian because... because we need a plot reason to have her playable, I suppose).
There have been some really good moments, like Tidus and Yuna talking near the Ocean, Auron sharing a bit of Jecht's story to Tidus and Rikku telling the thunder to shut up. That was so cute. But that's it, everything else to me just felt somehow inconsequential to the greater scheme.

tl;dr: more buildup on summoners and their role in Spira, less about "Lol Sin's toxins lmao"
>>
>>338144985
At least he was not Amarant and had a proper arc. Although, Kimari's story is just a retreading of Tidus' one.
>>
>>338143383
This, well I wouldn't even call them chodes, more like literal blank slates with little to no background stories or development outside the main two. It's just Yuna, Tidus, and 'the guardians'.
>>
>>338145104
>Kill random boss that's there only for the sake of having a boss (yuna kidnapped on the shupuff? The blob guarding the Jecht Sphere?

What kind of complaint is that?

It's a video game, holy shit, if it was the other way around, you'd be complaining that there were too many filler characters shoe horned in just to be bosses.
>>
>>338145243
>arc
and arc would imply that he had more than one scene. But he doesn't. Or at least that he would change a little, but he doesn't.

I agree about Amarant though, but I see him on the same level as Kimari. Useless character.
>>338145391
Except we're talking about a RPG here, where it should make a bit of sense when you fight a Boss, instead of just throwing bosses at you because why not.
>>
>>338145296
Well, in their defense, at least they do have something going on with them.
>Lulu and Wakka have the whole Chappu's dynamic mixed with Tidus
>Kimari has the broken horn cyberbullying
>Auron has the entirety of Braska's shit on his shoulders
I will give you that Rikku is just "Hey, I'm an open minded scientist and love Yuna-chan!".

Still better than some other blank slates, that are REALLY blank, like some of the characters in VIII or IX.

>>338145391
>What kind of complaint is that?
I have nothing against gameplay, but having a bland boss every ten meters that hardly makes sense plotwise isn't exactly a good idea. It's getting old from a scenario point of view, not from a gameplay one.

Also, is that seriously the only point I brought up you had problems with?
>>
>>338145557
>is that seriously the only point I brought up you had problems with?

The other ones are valid, why would I argue against it?
>>
>>338145557
I don't remember any blank characters in VIII?
>>
t. bait
>>
>>338145673
I'm Sorry.

>>338145690
I adore VIII, but to me it has always felt that the only character that was really explored was Squall's. Everyone else, besides maybe Irvine (and I say maybe) and Quistish (who unfortunately never really expands on her complexes) is a bit too much defined by his own quirk
>Zell's a bit goofy and resembles Marty from Back to the Future 2 with the whole chicken ordeal
>Selphie really likes LOVE AND PEACE
>Rinoa is... uhm. A really kind girl?
I really think that some of the supporting characters or even the enemies are somehow better characterized than some of the main heroes. Talking about Cid, Edea... hell, even Seifer.
But I am nitpicking, really. I love VIII too much to be objective about it.
>>
>>338145920
>Zell's a bit goofy and resembles Marty from Back to the Future 2 with the whole chicken ordeal
Is also rather insecure, has a serious case of hero worship and need to be recognized by Squall (who reminds him of his war veteran grandfather). A pretty competent mechanic and a bit of a history geek.
>Selphie really likes LOVE AND PEACE
And a stone cold psychopath who is generally the first to agree with the most violent solution available.
>Rinoa is... uhm. A really kind girl?
Has some army and Elektra complex. For all her desire for freedom and independence, Squall and her father are two peas in a pod.
>>
>>338145920
I'm not going to argue about Squall, he is the character with the most focus.
But it's not like Zell, Selphie and Rinoa are completely blank slates.

Zell for example is overly protective of his home life and his mother. He is the only kid from the orphanage that actually grew up with a parent. He's also the guy who decides to escape prison while everyone else mopes around.

Selphie is all LOVE AND PEACE, sure. But remember that she also broke down at the missile base when she couldn't find a way through. Iirc she also feels responsible for the destruction of her garden, because she couldn't stop those missiles. We also find out she is very dilligent, at the part where she has to organize the school festival.

Rinoa is a rebellious teenager that went directly against her father, and all of her actions in the game always carried an undertone of rebellion to me.

I think it's too harsh to say they're blank slate or one note, just because they didn't have as much focus as they could have had.
>>
File: best girl.jpg (193 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
best girl.jpg
193 KB, 640x448
>>338146339
>And a stone cold psychopath who is generally the first to agree with the most violent solution available.
Her gigantic breasts followed my younger erections back then. Simpler times.
>>
>>338145534
Bullshit, i've played many FF games and the others throw bosses at you for no reason all the time.
>>
>>338146482
>could rotate the camera to look under her skirt
I blame Squaresoft for turning me into a Pervert.
>>338146813
And who is saying that this is a good approach? It's just as retarded in other FFs. The Fodder-Bosses are the most forgettable shit in them.
>>
>>338142825
I think he mean 10 hours of cutscenes and the lack of space on the game to show a little about the story of the other characters.
>>
>>338146903
>I blame Squaresoft for turning me into a Pervert.
It also gave me a thing for school uniforms and I totally blame the only FMV where Selphie is wearing one. Not being able to swap models without cheating/modding is one of the greatest sins Square ever committed, I love those uniforms
>>
The final nail in the coffin: Blitzball.

What's the point in playing in water when you can't move vertical anyway?
What's the point of playing sports games with turn based combat? Who thought this was a good idea in any shape or form? Who plays fifa and says
>Man, I wish I could stop time and just poision Zidane
And on that point, who wants to play sports games with fucking RNG mechanics?
What is the point of the game when you litteraly only need one skill (Jecht Shot II) to win every time?
>>
>>338147198
>Zidane
Where the fuck did you pick this relic from?
Could've at least picked a modern player
>>
>>338147493
I guess Zidane is FF related.
>>
>>338147493
I don't know shit about soccer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Real soccer manages to be even more boring than underwater soccer.
>>
>>338147198
Every FF minigame in existence is shit and a waste of time.
>>
>>338147680
Bullshit. Snowboard, Submarine, Condor Attack and the triple triad were very good. Avoid lightning, Blitzball and the chocobo race in X sucks.
>>
>>338147680
Games in general are a waste of time, so what is your point here?

But some games are better designed than others. Blitzball does not fit that category.
VII also had some awful minigames like Fort Condor, but also great ones like the motorcycle chase. VIII pretty much only has Triple Triad, and it's the best thing. Not only is it a great game on its own, you can also use the minigame to beat the entire rest of the game.
>>
>>338147968
>motorcycle
>good
I'm also talking about beating those minigames to receive the rewards. Those minigames don't hurt anyone and are even somewhat fun if you just play them the one time they appear in the main story. What really is a waste of time is doing them for their rewards.

In FFX you need to play at least 20 Blitzball games to get all the important rewards. Shit like that ruins the minigame. Completing FF games is such a fucking waste of time.

And if I say waste of time I don't mean a waste of time of productive work time but a lack of passive of memory. If you do the story 20 hours you have saved up a lot of gameplay highlights, story highlights, scenery and other good shit in your brain. If you do 20 hours of optional garbage to get some rewards you will have 20 hours of nothing in your brain.
>>
>>338148494
>If you do the story 20 hours you have saved up a lot of gameplay highlights, story highlights, scenery and other good shit in your brain. If you do 20 hours of optional garbage to get some rewards you will have 20 hours of nothing in your brain.
I disagree, but I don't have the will to argue about something like minigames.
>>
>>338148802
Obviously it differs with some side content but generally they produce less of memorable memory. Pure grinding is probably the worst offender of all of them.
>>
>>338141794
honestly the voice acting is the fucking worst. also unskippable cut scenes. If it had a japanese audio option it would be one of my favorite FF games.
>>
File: 1332084592094.jpg (29 KB, 436x436) Image search: [Google]
1332084592094.jpg
29 KB, 436x436
>>338149128
I already told you I'm not willing to argue about this shit, why bother replying?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.