[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Major, I... https://youtu.be/WOJl5_8YVJw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14
File: image_2.jpg (154 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
image_2.jpg
154 KB, 2048x1365
Major, I...
https://youtu.be/WOJl5_8YVJw
>>
Was Skullface the worst written villain in mgs franchise?
>muh language of nukes
>>
>>338137753
They actually managed to write a worse villain than Solidus 'I fight for liberty btw I killed your parents and forced you into child slavery' Snake.
>>
File: m3uRVb5.jpg (268 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
m3uRVb5.jpg
268 KB, 800x1200
>>338138089
Typical lalilulelo drone talk.
>>
>>338138089
>Solidus
>bad

Wew lad
>>
The Patriots did nothing wrong.
>>
>>338137753
That's not Volgin.
>>
>>338139774
Volgin was just plain batshit insane.
>>
>>338138089
I always hate how Solidus is reduced to "Real hero pure angel ;_;7".

The thing that made his character interesting was that he was a sociopath with a noble goal driven by selfish motives.

He wanted to make a free world, not because he loved freedom or people but because he wanted to be remembered, and he didn't give a fuck about the cost of achieving that vision.

He was an interesting character with depth, and reducing him to "good guy" is insulting.
>>
>>338137487
Shamone!
>>
File: Whyyyyyyyy.png (1002 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Whyyyyyyyy.png
1002 KB, 1280x720
Why did Skull Face wear a mask? Did he think people wouldn't be able to recognize him?

Why did Chico plug a headset into his chest?

What did Diné mean when he told us to keep an eye on Miller?

Why did Medic go berserk when Quiet fell into that toxic chamber, but not care at all when Miller was torturing her to death for no reason?

Why did Skull Face want to kill the english language because Russians destroyed his village?

Why was Liquid even in the game when it added nothing to his character?

Why did Ocelot go from crazy goofball in MGS3, to boring exposition machine in MGSV, back to crazy goofball in MGS1 and 2?
>>
>>338140260
To fool people thinking the game had some deep plot

in the end it was pure dogshit
>>
>>338140260
>Why did Skull Face wear a mask? Did he think people wouldn't be able to recognize him?
To hide the fact h used parasites with the wierd eyes shit
>Why did Chico plug a headset into his chest?
self harm I guess
>What did Diné mean when he told us to keep an eye on Miller?
CUT
>Why did Medic go berserk when Quiet fell into that toxic chamber, but not care at all when Miller was torturing her to death for no reason?
Venom's insane
>Why did Skull Face want to kill the english language because Russians destroyed his village?
words are peculiar
>Why was Liquid even in the game when it added nothing to his character?
He now has a reason to hate big boss
>Why did Ocelot go from crazy goofball in MGS3, to boring exposition machine in MGSV, back to crazy goofball in MGS1 and 2?
Because he's supposed to be on your side, and he's self hypnotized

Jesus christ man
>>
>>338140260
Kojima hacked it up. even with the billion bucks he rakes in, he knows Konami will close up shop, so why bother?
>>
File: 1462826522097.jpg (185 KB, 419x610) Image search: [Google]
1462826522097.jpg
185 KB, 419x610
>>338140260
Almost all of these can be answered by playing the fucking game and paying attention
>>
>>338137753
Skull Face isn't actually a bad guy, he's just a bad guy. Like his goals are technically good but he does some shitty things.
>>
>>338140450
>Venom's insane

That's a fucking awful excuse and you know it.
>>
>>338140589
>implying people are still playing the biggest disappointment of 2015
>>
>>338140649
You were the biggest disappointment to your parents
>>
>>338140260
>Why did Skull Face wear the mask?
>>
>>338140646
nigga he's jungling with 2 personas that's honestly not far fetched when he said I'LLL PULL THE TRIGGER then dances with her in the fucking rain
>>
>>338140701
Oh I'm pretty sure I am but how is that relevant?
>>
>>338140773
It's not, it's just a reminder
>>
>>338140450
>To hide the fact h used parasites with the wierd eyes shit
He's a spooky skeleton man, nobody's going to question his eyelids looking weird.

>Venom's insane
Wow, what a convenient excuse for bad character writing. Did you pull that out of your ass?

>words are peculiar
Nice non-excuse

>He now has a reason to hate big boss
Except he hates Big Boss before the game even began.

>Because he's supposed to be on your side, and he's self hypnotized
He was a weird motherfucker even when he was around people he worked with in the other games.
>>
>>338140450
Love how you say Jesus Christ man as if you refuted his points at all.
"Venom's insane" and "words are peculiar" aren't explanations
>>
>>338140862

>Except he hates Big Boss before the game even began.
Yeah but now that's more believable since he fucking napalm'd an island full of children, it's better than muh jeans

>He was a weird motherfucker even when he was around people he worked with in the other games.
hehh not really, I don't recall him being wierd to liquid in mgs1. To his enemies, sure
>>
>>338140757
The entire "I'll pull the trigger" scene made it clear that he was essentially saying "I wanna tap that booty, if that causes shit to go south, I'll take responsibility, but until that day comes, I'mma hit that"

If Kojima wanted him to be an empty self-insert for the player, he should've done that, not take half-measures because it just results in an annoying character.
>>
>>338141009
>what is irony
>>
>>338141078
What

He already stated his points, you failed to refute them. Do you want me to just copy paste his post or something?
>>
>>338141015
>Yeah but now that's more believable since he fucking napalm'd an island full of children, it's better than muh jeans

Too bad that doesn't happen in the game. All that happens in the game is that Liquid acts butthurt and then flies off to his home planet with Shalashaskapus

>hehh not really, I don't recall him being wierd to liquid in mgs1. To his enemies, sure

Whatever the case, there was no need for him to be a boring exposition machine in MGSV. The Ocelot we saw in the other games may have been an incredibly intelligent professional, but the things that made him interesting was his wackiness and his machinations.

He was just so fucking boring.
>>
File: Capture.png (392 KB, 1301x723) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
392 KB, 1301x723
>>338141340
>>
>>338141442
Wow a footnote in the credits.

What a masterful narrative this game has, where all the relevant shit happens outside the actual game.
>>
>>338141442
1. Eli making an island kingdom hardly contains the full information of Medic also napalming said Island.
2. Even if the credits contain said information (which I don't remember them doing) that's still awful fucking writing. You spend vast amounts of screentime on a character only to have the entire point of them being there restricted to a footnote in the fucking credits.
>>
>>338141442
>let's just explain all the things fans wanted to know in the credits
>YES KOJIMA WHY ARE YOU SO GENIOUS
>>
>>338142027
>>338141848
>>338141661
Guys I didn't make the fucking game

despite all that, I still think konami's to blame
>>
>>338142081
>Be Kojima
>Spend a lot of money
>Go over budget
>Konami steps in like all companies would

Sure Konami has a role in this but to imply Kojima has done no harm is just naive and fanboyish
>>
>>338142081
You don't think Kojima takes any of the blame?

The shitty idea from the get go was Konami's fault? Having so much money and time be concentrated on an optional character just because Kojima wants to fuck the actress was Konami? Boring characters with shitty motivations are Konami?

Konami is to blame for a lot, but Kojima is no angel, he fucked up bad.
>>
>>338137753

Only thing they did wrong with Skull Face was that they didn't give him a boss fight.
>>
>>338142226
>>338142290
Kingdom of the flies needed to be in the game badly. Quiet was terrible, I agree

But the whole "eyes on kazuhira" thing REALLY makes me think that the game needed 6 more months in the work

You guys say that he went over budget, but the reason konami stopped everything was muh pachinko, see: silent hills
>>
>>338142453
>You guys say that he went over budget
The budget was still fuckhuge though, and they even psiphoned off the beginning of the game to sell as a promo so they could fund the rest, and they STILL fucked up.

They only spent so much money because of Kojima's retarded open world idea. We Farcry now.
>>
>>338142290
>Having so much money and time be concentrated on an optional character just because Kojima wants to fuck the actress

Quiet is only optional in the sense that guns are optional.

Also they definitely didn't spend enough time on her because they only modeled one expression for her, so even when she's giving you a lapdance in the chopper she has this slight frown on her face.
>>
>Solo covert actions are standard FOX operating procedure. You can't leave any traces of your presence. No weapons,equipment, footprints, sweat, or bodily fluids - the same goes for bullets and cartridges, too. Your presence in enemy territory is already a violation of international conventions of warfare. There aren't supposed to be any American soldiers in Russia. It could spark an international incident. You can't let the enemy see you. You can't let the enemy know you're there. This is a stealth mission. You're a ghost, Snake, in every sense of the word. There'll be no rescue if you're captured. The military and the US government will deny any involvement in the affair. By the way, there'll be a man following you every step of the way. His name is Skullface. You won't see or hear of him. In fact, I'm not supposed to tell you of his existence. He'll be picking up your spent cartridges, brushing away your footprints and cleaning up your excrement. He literally has a skull for a face.
>>
>>338142553
>They only spent so much money because of Kojima's retarded open world idea. We Farcry now.

And it turned out to be the best Metal Gear game anyway.
>>
>>338142592
Probably spent all the money on fancy dinners with her and Keifer.
>>
>>338142713
you wouldn't ? I want to have a drink with bad boss
>>
>>338142658
>>
I haven't touched MGSV since October last year. Did the nuke cutscene ever get unlocked?
>>
>>338142832

Dude, it's BY FAR the most fun game in the series to actually play. All because it stopped being a Metal Gear game and chose to be an open world third person shooter instead. That was the smartest thing Kojima ever did.

It's clear that it's unfinished. I lament the fact that they didn't manage to bring it to the full potential. But it's a good thing that they abandoned almost all Metal Gear mechanics because the worst thing about the MG series has always been the shitty terrible gameplay. I'm glad it's gone and it should stay gone.
>>
I just watched Mad Max and I'm fucking mad.

How bad at writing do you have to be to force a silent protagonist in a game that was full of exposition dumps?

In Mad Max everything was extremely fast - every five minutes something happened between the characters and the whole movie was about pursuit. Max had a personality and he fucking talked.

What about MGSV? Venom is just a fucking mute. No personality, no dialogue, no body language.

And silent protagonists DON'T FUCKING WORK WITH 15 MINUTES LONG EXPOSITION DUMP SCENE WITH THE ANTAGONIST.
>>
>>338142290
I wish Konami went through with Kojima's nonsense and gave him an additional funding to make a complete game, but in my heart I know he just went too far, commissioning songs from Rika Muranaka then scrapping them, recording Kiefer's voicelines then throwing them away because Maddu Makusu isu so kuuruu. He did fuck up.
>>
>>338142453
>muh pachinko meme
oh just fuck off with that, isn't the division running the pachinko machines totally different from their videogame department? It would make sense if they both had totally different budgets.
>>
File: Q04D3E8.gif (2 MB, 154x273) Image search: [Google]
Q04D3E8.gif
2 MB, 154x273
>>338142592
>even when she's giving you a lapdance in the chopper she has this slight frown on her face.
I think that's just programmers' or whoever is responsible incompetence. Still chuckle worthy when she's pushing her ass in the camera with a lustful look, then sits down and resets to default blank expression.
>>
As a native englsh speaker, there was an honest virtious principle in Skull Face's plan to wipe out the ENglish language. If we ignore the setting in the Cold War, and consider in contemporary terms, his effort to destroy the global lingua franca today is to destroy in effect the cultural hegemony of American Unipolarity. It is redistributing the poles of power around the world, that is only a good thing
>>
>Skullface is mad because his country (Hungary) was occupied by the Nazis and his language was taken from him
>Hungary was never occupied by Germany in WWII outside of when they forced the Hungarian army to stay on their side

Does Kojima know shit about history?
>>
>>338143117
>What about MGSV? Venom is just a fucking mute. No personality, no dialogue, no body language.

That's the point. He's a player surrogate
>>
File: 1441600725863.jpg (33 KB, 288x432) Image search: [Google]
1441600725863.jpg
33 KB, 288x432
>>338137487
>>
>>338144761
Goddamnit read a book, he was from Székely Land, which came under Romanian rule after WW1 as part of the Trianon agreement. he literally says nothing about the Nazi's because at that time Romania was an Axis ally, Hungarians were oppressed during this time by Romanian fascists though. After WW2, the they came under Soviet influence
>>
>>338145027
>That's the point. He's a player surrogate

Too bad he's only like that half the time.

The other half (DIAMONDS FROM THEIR ASSES, for instance) he's full of personality.

Venom being mute was something Kojima decided halfway through development after watching Mad Max. But since there already was a lot of integral cutscenes with him actually talking and doing shit, the end result was a shitty, schizophrenic character who acted completely different from one cutscene to the next.
>>
>>338145260
Given the way the game is layed out the cutscene portions make up much less than half the game. It really isn't as story focused as a usual MGS game. And then there's the medic metaphor where it's like they're saying nothing about his personality matters much and it's all truly about the player
>>
>>338145238
Apologies, I was going off what Skullface's wiki page said
>>
>>338145260
>Venom being mute was something Kojima decided halfway through development after watching Mad Max.
As much as I liked movie I wish he didn't see it. That was one of the worst MGSV decisions, along with "less cutscenes" and "open world".
>>
>>338145437
Sorry for snapping, he says he is from transylvania which changed hands numerous times after Trianon, the Nazis and Italians returned much of Transylania back to Hungary but this was voided again by the Allie's after WW2 and returned to Romania
>>
>>338145709
The problem is that Mad Max was a fast-paced film that mostly relied on visuals to do its exposition. (as another anon already said)

It's clear that Kojima wanted to do something similar, he even said so in an interview, the problem was that he only met that idea halfway. Venom's character was expressed mostly through visuals, but everything else remained the same, being based mostly on dialogue to tell its story.

So rather than visual storytelling and characterisation. What we ended up with was a character who stood around while everyone else talked endlessly.

It's why I actually liked the relationship between Venom and Quiet. Although Quiet herself was bad, the relationship was told mostly though visuals. Those visuals were often hammy and tasteless (shower scene and Quiets overt cockteasing in the helicopter), but they were often rather subtle and sweet (the gentle way Venom treats her when he first captures her).
>>
>>338140260
Paz told Chico to listen to his heart. He took it literally.
>>
>>338141442
Whenever a country has a civil war, why don't neighboring countries come in and take over?
>>
>>338146582
Because that's against treaties. Are you American by chance? Or German?

>inb4 muh treaties
thats just how it works bruh.
>>
>>338146746
Russian.
>>
>>338146825
So you should know what happens if one country intervenes with another's civil war.
>>
>>338147009
You get to annex some land?
>>
File: tank transform.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tank transform.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
What did Kojima mean by this?
>>
>>338147091
Yeah and get sanctioned to hell and back.

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't give a fuck about Russia or the Ukraine stuff that's going on. Just nothing good about getting sanctions in trade and whatnot.
>>
File: ayy lmao.jpg (20 KB, 600x454) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.jpg
20 KB, 600x454
>>338137487
REMEMBER
>>
>>338147203
The fuck is happening here? It even turns into a brick wall at the end.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U5lX7oebXg

What went wrong?
>>
>>338147270
North Korea seems to do okay
>>
>>338147270
>Yeah and get sanctioned to hell and back.

I'm not seeing that happen with Israel.
>>
>>338147580
That's different though, not exactly annexation
>>
>>338139475
not really I just wanted to do cartwheels while cool techno music plays in the background what's with all this faggot shit
>>
>>338147627
I'm not telling you to go full /pol/, but come the fuck on. You think Cisjordanians willfully gave their land to jews?
>>
>>338147694
God wills it
>>
>>338139475
>wanking George Washington without a mention of Cincinnatus
Into the trash
>>
>>338141340
The entirety of Ocelot's performance in V was essentially a wacky machination
He conspired with Zero and BB to brainwash you and then brainwashed himself
Him acting out of character reflects that to an extent
>>
>>338139475

>is a perfect copy of big boss
>nobody notices the president of the US is big boss

W E W
E
W
>>
>>338147429
In what world is North Korea doing ok?
>>
WhoaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
Kingdom of the Flies would have made the game 10/10 and you all know it. Just one fucking chapter even, come the fuck on.
>>
>>338147304
It's the shadow of one of the towers. Kojima didn't mean anything by it - it's just a bug in the engine that only happens at certain times of day. Any other time of day and the shadow wouldn't be casting on the dust.
>>
>>338148747
Would the average citizen have known who big boss was at the time mgs2 was made? He was pretty much just some evil terrorist guy back then wasn't he?
>>
>>338149110
It already is 10/10
>>
>>338140260
>Why did Skull Face wear a mask?
Lotta loyalty for a hired gun!
>>
File: Infiltrated.jpg (55 KB, 340x353) Image search: [Google]
Infiltrated.jpg
55 KB, 340x353
>>338147429
>North Korea seems to do okay
>>
>>338148601
Which doesn't change the fact that he's boring.

If you want to remove something interest to make a point; you better make sure that what you replace it with is interesting in of itself.
>>
>>338149110
>>338149302
It wouldn't have changed the awfully paced story, shitty character writing, and the stale, lifeless open world.
>>
File: 1326442596159.gif (1 MB, 193x135) Image search: [Google]
1326442596159.gif
1 MB, 193x135
>>338147429
>>
>>338149673
literally none of that is an actual issue in game
>>
File: PeterJackson.jpg (108 KB, 646x1305) Image search: [Google]
PeterJackson.jpg
108 KB, 646x1305
>>338149758
>literally none of that is an actual issue in game
>>
>>338142226
>game series known to print money
>lets rush the game out unfinished
>game didn't sell the way they wanted
> guess the series is dead LOL
>>
>>338150330
>rush the game out

It was in development for at least 5 years. There was a demo of the jungle area beneath the mansion shown at E3 2011. Much bigger games have been completed in shorter time than that.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.