[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do these games stack up to each other and their main inspiration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
How do these games stack up to each other and their main inspiration of Earthbound?

While we're at it let's add in the other Mother-likes (that have been released, since Knuckle Sandwich, Yiik, Omori, and Mother 4 all haven't been released yet)

>Lisa
>OFF
>Undertale
>Citizens of Earth
>Space Funeral
>Yume Nikki
>>
Lisa has the best story
OFF is good all-around
Undertale has catchy music
Citizens of Earth is fucking garbage
Yume Nikki isn't a game
>>
>>338111970
who is middle baseball bitch?
what happened to mother 4?
>>
>>338112187
Middle is the Batter from Mortis Ghost's OFF from 2007
>>
>>338111970
>LISA
>focus on gameplay and making impactful decisions

>OFF
>being a fucking acid trip

>undertale
>being a deconstruction of video games as a whole

>citizens of earth
>trash

>space funeral
>a fun, yet weird experience

>yume nikki
>walking simulator
>>
>>338111970
>Lisa
Easily the best of the bunch, all 3 games

>OFF
Frenchie game

>Undertale
Irredeemable Marxist trash, with ok music

>Citizens of Earth
A straight up Earthbound clone with a couple unique concepts, not necessarily a bad thing or a bad game

>Space Funeral
Good use of public domain music

>Yume Nikki
Glorified walking simulator, at the same time it's also the best walking simulator ever released and the only one that has actual gameplay and unique areas to walk around.
>>
Was OFF inspired directly by Earthbound

It just seems like another RPG inspired by various RPGs. I would assume it was inspired more by David Lynch or Megami Tensei.
>>
>>338111970
Lisa is King of the Hill
OFF is Aeon Flux
Undertale is Captain N
Yumme Nikki is Halloween is Grinch Night
>>
I'm making a Mother-like that takes place in a ghetto.

Any tips?
>>
>>338113682
I think people connect OFF to Earthbound by using Undertale as a bridge between the two. Undertale has a lot of concepts that seem to be inspired partially by OFF (purification = grinding for levels, art style switches up entirely when entering a battle, meta elements relating to the world around them, etc.) as well as having a fair amount be inspired by Earthbound (Character design, both have very quirky enemy designs and types, literal Earthbound samples are utilized in some of UT's music, the humor and tone is decently similar, Mr. Saturn = Temmie, etc.)

All three games are very odd RPGs with different tones and styles to most standard RPGs, so it could be considered that they are sort of "alternative RPGs" if the tone of the game is so important.
>>
>>338111970
I haven't played Lisa yet but the rest are all bretty gud.

UT is a great game. Good storytelling and music.

OFF is a bit pretentious but at the same time legitimately unsettling, good art direction and music.

Yume Nikki isn't a game but if it was it'd be one of my favorites. It's an experience unlike any other and is unparalleled as a "dream simulator".
>>
>>338114405
1. Make sure the music's good or interesting
2. Make the character designs interesting (one of the main problems of Knuckle Sandwich is that the characters don't look interesting or recognizable)
3. Don't try and make it something that it's not or try and force in concepts that won't mesh with your world. It's s ghetto, right? Don't be pulling any crazy meta shit out of your ass like OFF or Undertale did, they were both fantasy worlds with highly different rules in their realities.
4. Make sure the visual style is at least passable, and if not, make it consistent. If possible, do both and make it look as good as Lisa or Earthbound looked, don't go Undertale's route and make the art style drastically different in different places.
5. Battle mechanics should be tight and fun. Undertale and Lisa both had great battle systems, Lisa with the sheer variety of strategies you could try and Undertake with it's involving Shmup mechanics.
6. Don't be afraid to take risks in its gameplay or storytelling.
>>
>>338111970
Better yet, how would these games play out if th main characters of Lisa and Undertale were reversed?
>>
>>338115029
Brad would do well in the Underground if there was no Joy to go around, but he'd end up curbstomping Flowey the first chance he got. He might have enjoyed Toriel's fussing over him, especially since his own father was such a fucking ass to him. Maybe he'd even stay with Toriel to raise some kids so he could repent for his past mistakes.

Frisk would end up getting kidnapped by someone and used as a sex toy o matter which sex Frisk was. They're androgynous as fuck, so I'm sure the repressed sickos in Olathe could just imagine it to be a girl if they weren't. After all, Fardy Hernandez was in the same situation and he was ugly as sin.
>>
Earthbound - Quirky RPG with weird enemies and a really odd tone that feels like an adventure with friends instead of a quest for anything specific.
Lisa - Dark and heavy RPG with lots of rancid black humor and plain strange scenarios dealing with very mature themes of family, abuse, addiction, and purpose. Sometimes intentionally unfair. Has a mechanic of sacrifice and choice you must make to progress.
OFF - RPG with a pretty crappy battle system but with amazing atmosphere and battle art, coupled with logic puzzles and interesting music. Game has a very interesting meta aesthetic with the main character's goal of being essentially genocide.
Undertale - RPG/Bullet hell/Shmup hybrid primarily focused on humor and attention to detail, feeling a lot like a theater play that you can influence. Also has an interesting meta influence like OFF but with far more choice in the matter of how your character influence the world. Characters are mostly fun and understandable, with some deeper points in some. Also has very catchy music.
Citizens of Earth - Haven't played, heard it's trash
Space Funeral - Haven't played, never heard of it. It looks like a clusterfuck but it might be interesting.
Yume Nikki - Walking simulator of a girl's dreams with a super unnerving tone over the entire thing. A lot more subjective than the others.
>>
I like Space Funeral simply because of the Marc Bolan cameo. Huge fan of his and him showing up in the game blew my mind.
>>
>>338111970
>How do these games stack up to each other and their main inspiration of Earthbound?
according to your image
>>
don't lump Space Funeral in with the rest of those OP you faggot, I love all of those games but no way is Space Funeral is an "Mother" or even inspired by Mother at all really
>>
>>338113682
it's not motherlike at all, but indie rpgs in general tend to get that association
>>
File: Final Nomad Map Rift.png (18 KB, 103x116) Image search: [Google]
Final Nomad Map Rift.png
18 KB, 103x116
Left behind again?
T-thats okay guys, g-guess I dont mind that much.
>>
>>338111970
why people keep drawing frisk as a boy? it's madness
>>
>>338114405
play barkley
>>
File: image.jpg (653 KB, 729x939) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
653 KB, 729x939
>>338118902
Don't worry Middens, I'll always love you and your sister.
>>
>>338118724
*no way is Space Funeral a "Mother-like"
>>
File: mrj3l3Bvvm1r2a4f5o1.png (273 KB, 500x637) Image search: [Google]
mrj3l3Bvvm1r2a4f5o1.png
273 KB, 500x637
>>338118902
Time Nomad is cute!
CUTE!!!
>>
File: 1401711652290.jpg (1 MB, 1590x1546) Image search: [Google]
1401711652290.jpg
1 MB, 1590x1546
>>338111970

Great
Good
Great
Shit
Why
Favorite
>>
>>338115027
Thanks for the tips, senpai. I can art so I can probably pull off a simple visual style that's easy to work with. Music will be tough to do, though.

>It's s ghetto, right? Don't be pulling any crazy meta shit out of your ass like OFF or Undertale did, they were both fantasy worlds with highly different rules in their realities.

Don't worry, I'm staying far away from anything involving high fantasy. The game is mainly inspired by hood films, so it'll be very down-to-earth for the most part.

I'm not planning to do anything too dark or depressing with the story despite the setting. It'll be a somewhat light-hearted adventure where the main character tries to meet up with an old friend on the other side of town but gets caught up in a bunch of shit in the process. Out of sheer shit luck he ends up butting heads with various gangs and criminal groups head-on, which he starts to do intentionally later on out of a moral obligation to make his town a better place to live in.

I want visual storytelling to play a big role in establishing the various amounts of areas the MC ends up in, as well as presenting some of the game's more emotional points.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.