[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Half Life such a good game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 1463282641693.jpg (304 KB, 1280x914) Image search: [Google]
1463282641693.jpg
304 KB, 1280x914
Why is Half Life such a good game?
>>
It's well written, it's fun and well designed. Plus on a technical level is brilliant, it literally raised the bar for games of its time. Weapons feel good, the difficulty is perfect and the way story merges with gameplay was something never done before.

https://youtu.be/Elwb2lV88hM
>>
Re-installed it just a few days ago just to hop around with a shotgun blasting shit

I missed this feeling in modern games, I must sound like a total le wrong generation buzzkill, but I remember playing half life as a teen feeling like it was FAST and shit I wasn't mistaken, movements are great
>>
File: Cia_female_soldier.jpg (163 KB, 419x638) Image search: [Google]
Cia_female_soldier.jpg
163 KB, 419x638
>>338106479
Everything you said is a fact, here gentleman, have the hottest action soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2AYiaQINA4
>>
>>338105825
Good level design and general feel. People give HL2 a lot of shit but it's fun with SMOD
>>
>>338105825
Good gameplay. That's literally all you need apart from basic graphics
>>
Trick question.
>>
>>338105825
Physics puzzles were interesting at the time and the game embedded the story into the game, rather than using pre-rendered cutscenes. THAT'S IT. It's not amazing level design, it's not loveable characters and it's not top-notch gunplay. It's basic shit which is so outdated now, it isn't even worth talking about.

If you haven't played it, don't bother. It hasn't aged well.
>>
>>338107165
HL2 is still fun, it's a nice adventure. Story-telling wise I think I like it better than half life 1. Half life 1 is way better at everything else though.
>>
>>338107165
If you take time to analyze HL2 you'll realize what the developers intended to do, they wanted a different game from the start, but their expectations were so hard that they ended up scraping so much things in order for release a consistent game. HL2 isn't a bad game, it's just that it lacked the amazing direction that had the first HL.
>>
>>338107437
>It hasn't aged well.
Bullshit. I had fun playing through it last year
>>
>>338107437
reddit
>>
>>338105825
The most appealing parts of Half-Life were all shit that HL2 shat the bed on. Wide variety of cool alien/sci-fi weapons in addition to the mundane firearms. Interesting level design that felt like a crazy massive top secret facility instead of just a video game. Good AI (for its time) and encounters that showed it off. I never felt like a one-man army most of the time, just a random dude with a hazard suit. All that was shat on with HL2 and it's why the game was such a disappointment for me.
>>
File: 1463605288419.png (529 KB, 658x960) Image search: [Google]
1463605288419.png
529 KB, 658x960
>>338107437
Hold on there, buddy, I want you to know that you're spitting some serious bullshit right there.
I'd fight you, but I think you woudn't understand.
>>
File: segata.jpg (15 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
segata.jpg
15 KB, 320x320
>>338107437
>If you haven't played it, don't bother. It hasn't aged well.
Fool! once a masterpiece always a masterpiece!
>>
Just watched this guy's overview today, can you recommend some other essential HL mods?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbFtCUqM0M
>>
>>338107437
I tried playing it around release and didn't find it worth playing, but I don't really like too many FPS campaigns so I don't know what I was expecting.
>>
>>338105825
The only thing thats not impressive about hl is the sound, not the reverb effects, but the sound quality.

Though hardware and technical limitations were a factor
>>
>>338107978
Hold on
>>338107437
>>338108478
Are you talking about HL2?
>>
>>338107437
It's not the best thing ever, but it's a solid game for what it is.
>>
>>338108652
Both actually for me. I also dropped bioshock. The formula just isn't for me.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.