[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does he have 2 swords? Wouldn't a silver sword be just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7
File: Witcher02.jpg (595 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
Witcher02.jpg
595 KB, 2048x1152
Why does he have 2 swords? Wouldn't a silver sword be just as effective at killing humans as a steel one is? I know Silver is normally not as strong as steel but if Geralt is able to slay creatures as hard as rock like trolls with a silver sword that argument is pretty much invalid.
So what is the point, can anyone tell me?
>>
it looks cool
>>
>>338082438
i don't think there's a reason other than "silver is for monsters!" doesn't geralt in the book usually keep the silver sword all wrapped up and stored away until he goes on a hunt or something? the games seem to treat it a bit differently.
>>
I'm guessing the silver sword makes monsters literally weaker so those trolls are cut like regular human flesh with the silver sword, but the silver sword has trouble cutting through human armor thus the steel sword.
>>
>>338082438
Humans think that using a silver sword in a fight is some sort of hipster faggotry, that's why he uses the steel one.
>>
I don't know anything about this game, but It would be for the best to not use your anti monster weapon against humans because it'll get worn out too much.
>>
>>338082438
silver is way softer than steel
>>
silver swords are way more expensive than steel swords + they arent as effective against non-fantasy creatures (human, wolf, bears), so he just uses a steel sword

it isnt really explained in the games but in the books its like this anon said >>338082636
>>
The Metals Scale of Hardness

Lead – 1.5
Zinc – 2.5
Gold – 2.5 – 3
Silver – 2.5 – 3
Aluminum – 2.5 – 3
Copper – 3
Brass – 3
Bronze – 3
Nickel – 4
Platinum – 4 – 4.5
Steel – 4 – 4.5
>>
>>338082438
Silver is a softer metal with in-universe magic-grounding special powers. So it's effective against magical beings, because it rips them off their magic, making them weaker and more vulnerable to slashing/piercing/blunt and any other type of damage. Besides, book Geralt, as someone has mentioned before, usually uses only his steel sword, equipping the silver one only when on the hunt for something paranormal.
>>
>>338082438
Its a fantasy game with poor writing. What the hell did you expect.
>>
>>338082989
Iron – 4.5
Palladium – 4.75
Rhodium – 6
Titanium – 6
Hardened Steel – 7 – 8
Tungsten – 7.5
Tungsten Carbide – 8.5 – 9

I mean, its fucking obvious right? Silver damages the fuck out of magical creatures and their wounds cant regenerate. You dont use that shit for humans, because they are in armor that would fuck up your silver sword.

Unarmored humans without weapons it wouldnt matter, but even a peasant with an iron hoe could pit up your silver sword
>>
>>338082636
Yeah, in the books it's in a locked box and when Geralt loses conciousness while holding the silver sword his first question after waking up was where was the sword. So it's pretty odd how in the games silver swords are here and there and everyone can make one, but well it's a game.
>>
>>338083124
Or maybe you're a retard that doesn't realize that silver would get way too fucked up fighting humans, so you'd only whip it out when you had to.
>>
>>338083203
>there will never be a quest in a game where Geralt loses his silver sword and has to go on a long quest to get another reforged

Well that kinda sucks.
>>
>>338083421
>what is the first 2 hours of witcher 2
>>
>>338083648
Shit, is that exactly what happened? Why the fuck don't I remember it? Welp, disregard me, I suck cocks.
>>
>>338082996
>>338083151
>>338082989
Aren't Witcher in-universe silver swords not just made by simple silver but by a special silver alloy mixed with rare meteorite ore?
>>
>>338082438
Maybe he doesn't want to wear down his silver sword on lowly non-magic creatures.
>>
>>338082438
both are for monsters
>>
one can also assume silver is a valuable metal in the game, so you don't go using your super nice sword hacking into people's shields and armor when you can do the same with your regular sword that's cheaper.

it would be like a modern game where you hunt werewolves or something and then saying why doesn't the hero just use silver bullets all the time they can kill people just as easily.
>>
>>338082438
Human blood is hard to clean off and lowers the effectiveness of the silver on magical creatures.
>>
A lot of things in fiction is stupid OP.

Fighting with swords on your back is also retarded, but it's a fantasy.
>>
>>338083808

He only loses it when he escapes from the prison and gets to Flotsam. That's where you get a new one. It's really like 30 minutes that you don't have it since you have it in the flashback.
>>
>>338082989
>>338083151
Should have just made the sword out of Dragon Force and anime harem protagonists
>>
>>338083648
It isn't really such a huge quest it should be. You can literally just go and buy one, rather than not gather materials for it.
>>
>>338084095
To be fair, bullets are one use only and you can miss too. Swords are used for a long time and you can always sharpen it.
>>
>>338084185
Also if you import a W1 save you also get the silver sword from the Lady of the Lake so it can be very easy to overlook.
>>
>>338084208
If sword is too dense it'll break, that's basic metallurgy anon
>>
>>338083837
yup, the core is metorite steel, the edges are somehow 'covered' in silver, I don't know the correct metalurgical/smithing terms
>>338083808
maybe it's not the epic journey you wanted, but at the end of prologue you lose your silver sword geralt has pierced dragon's mouth with it and it stuck, dragon flew away and you have to find/craft/buy another one if you want to progres through the first act. Also the same shit happened in the witcher 1, where you literally got silver sword at the beginning of act 2
>>
>>338084185
Oh, that's right. It's the first quest in Flotsam.

Well then my original point still stands. I want to have to gather rare ingredients and embark on some crazy quest for some crazy blacksmith. Learn about how those swords are made and why they're so special.

Or maybe they're not special and they're literally just swords made out of silver. Who knows. If only we had a quest telling us.
>>
File: a14.jpg (160 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
a14.jpg
160 KB, 600x709
>>338084161
>mfw when some random NPC says when i walk past him ''Carrying swords on your back? What will they think of next?''
>>
>>338082438
A silver sword would wear out more quickly. Why wear it out on something you can kill with more traditional methods, as opposed to only when you need to?
>>
>>338084345
Too soft and now your blade is a dull and nicked mess
>>
>>338082438
through space and time was easily one of the best quests in recent vidya
>>
>>338084330
she's coming back. bet you werent ready for that huh
>>
>>338084778
I don't think they used the theme as well as they could've desu
>>
File: 20160514145137_1.jpg (445 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160514145137_1.jpg
445 KB, 2560x1440
>>338086154
>>338084778
The world I wanted to visit. Is this a cyberpunk reference btw?
>>
>>338086445
I want to inseminate ciri
>>
>>338082438
1) Some monsters are naturally vulnerable to silver, it cuts through their skin like butter and prevents regeneration if they have it. This is because most monsters originate from a supernatural phenomenon in the Witcher's setting and are not naturally part of the world.
2) Part of the Witcher's code dictates that they're not slayers of people, only monsters, that's why they use a different "lower" sword when facing humans as a way to keep their job/faction separated from mere killing bandits.
3) It looks cool
>>
>>338086445
yup, there probably will be a cameo of ciri in C2077 at least that's what CDPR hinted
>>
File: 1452256124270.png (300 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1452256124270.png
300 KB, 500x500
>>338086667
weren't Humans also not originally part of the world?
>>
>>338084161
This is actually addressed in the books though.
Geralt carries his swords on the back (which looks stupid and unpractical to most bandits and people in that universe too) but is actually using a special fold with a tiny string he can easily pull to unsheate and grab the sword instantly.
Most bandits/enemies get surprised by this move and don't even realize how quickly Geralt can get armed until the first one or two are already chopped.
>>
>>338082438
He can use either, but silver is much more effective against unnatural creatures. It is in the books, all of the monsters and things are from a different world and silver weakens them.
>>
>>338087134
Technically yes, but the supernatural phenomenon brought over all sorts of creatures.
Humans are like maggots, plenty but with no special thingies going for them (unlike, say, Vampires who got a whole load of special abilities).
>>
>>338086445
Imagine how fucking hype that would have been.
The teaser for Cyberpunk was before Witcher 3 released, they could have put in like a really quick 2 minute section of that quest where you have to run through a firefight in the Cyberpunk universe. Like a little taste of what is to come.
>>
>>338086537
Like quite literally everyone else in the Witcher universe.
>>
>>338082438
Because of this little thing called "the coolness factor"
>>
>>338086445
Would Witcher magic stop bullets?
>>
silver is weak
>>
>>338084778

Then you haven't played much vidya
>>
>>338088270
probably not, only thing that has a chance is quen and i don't think its strong enough to stop bullets.
>>
>>338087723
True, yet some creatures are not really supernatural at all and much like humans like drowners are pretty much humans that swim that just claw at you or harpies are just flying bitches that claw at you. Yet geralt grabs his silver sword to kill them.
>>
>>338088270
>>338088423
Quen is pretty strong though. it took triss's fire barrage explosion without any problems
Would Geralts superhuman sense be fast enough to stop bullets though? He can deflect bolts and what not but what about bullets?
>>
>>338088764
Well it is part of his code to use the silver sword against monsters.
>>
>>338088764
I'm not sure about all of them, but I think you used steel against some non-human creatures in TW1, like the golem in the swamp, the barghests and the hellhound and the armored mutated hounds.
>>
>>338089241
bullets travel incredibly fast, i very much doubt it.
>>
>>338089508
if he's aware of the shot and knows what it is, i think it wouldn't be too difficult for him to dodge / quen it
if someone shoots him from a distance, he's boned
>>
>>338089253
Code is excuse to don't do things he don't want to, but also real thing. (like about dragons) He just often make his rules up to don't get into shit.
>>
>>338083962
This.

I recall that it's explained in The Last Wish that it's a contemporary myth that Witchers have a steel sword for killing people and a silver sword for monsters, but that the reality is that they're both there explicitly to kill monsters and not people. The steel sword is used for monsters sensitive to the iron in steel rather than silver. That the steel sword is often used to kill people is circumstance rather than intention. Geralt also usually only took the one sword he thought would be needed for a job and left the other one on Roach.

Just another element of the source material that was altered somewhat for the sake of expediency/convenience in the games.
>>
>>338082989
What's the metric for determining this?
>>
>>338089816
i don't think you realize exactly how fast bullets travel. a normal .223 round would be traveling at above 3000 feet per second. sound travels at just above 1000 fps. you'd have like .03 seconds to react at like 20 meters.
>>
>>338089241
Arrows travel average 200 feet per second bolts probably up to 400. Bullets can travel 400-2000 fps and I'd assume in 2077 they'd only go faster. Geralt would be fucked
>>
>>338089920
this dude knows his lore
>>
>>338082438
>Wouldn't a silver sword be just as effective at killing humans as a steel one is?
No. Silver is soft and would probably fall apart if used against steel weapons.

/thread
>>
>>338089920
It is both that and he mean that some people in fact ARE monsters. Motherfuckers without any sort of good into them.
>>
>>338089920
Well you'd have to be retarded to use the silver sword against tough armored enemies.
>>
File: 1452236206308.gif (39 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1452236206308.gif
39 KB, 320x287
>>338090206
>thinking that witcher swords are made of pure simple silver.
>>
>>338084405
They are not from meteorite. I don't remember how it was exactly but it was said somewhere in the books that the whole "meteor stuff" is just a lie to keep the whole witcher thing more mythical than it is. The same thing was with blood magic, some wizard stated that blood of the pig can be as good as blood of a virgin to achieve the same effect.

I'm not saying the silver swords were not special, they were as fuck and they were rarely used, but the meteor is bullshit.
>>
>>338089241
Even with faster reflexes, he'd struggle to see the bullet to begin with, and there's not much he's going to do with a sword.

Even if he strikes a bullet in mid air, it's just two pieces zipping along at 900m/s now.

And AP bullets would probably go straight through the blade edge instead.
>>
>>338089241
I feel like, while he wouldn't be able to dodge the bullets necessarily, he would probably still be perceptive and agile enough to react to the person shooting and "dodge" them in that sense.
>>
>>338090102
And muzzle velocity has fuck all to do with what I said.
If a witcher knows what a gun is and notices that someone's aiming one at him, he'd have an easy time of altering his course so the attacker can't hit him.
Besides, even the fastest measured muzzle velocities don't go significantly higher than 1000 m / s using specialized ammo and barrels. At a hundred meters, that'd give him a whole split second, that's long enough time for an ordinary human to perceive, and it'd probably be more than enough for a witcher to act.
>>
File: 1463037308729.gif (3 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1463037308729.gif
3 MB, 400x300
Why not make a sword out of dimeritium to combat ''magical'' creatures
>>
>>338090784
I have the source only in polish, but some (although a rather small amount) were actually from meteorite
>>
File: 70mA.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
70mA.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>338091175
A hundred meters is a very long distance m8
>>
>>338091196
Think that would stop him from being able to cast, not sure though. Although in equal footing with no magic a witcher beats almost anything.
>>
>>338091175
I mean it's really the same concept as dodging a sword swing. Do people really think geralt moves his entire body faster than someone can swing a sword? Fuck no. He reads the movements of the person swinging it and can anticipate their attack, moving out of the way of where it will be.
>>
>>338090395
Not him but the edges are silver so it makes sense to save it for monsters. Honestly in game it would have made more sense for silver weapons to do around the same damage but degrade way faster, would have been annoying though. Plus doesn't fit the style of the game, there's way more monsters in the game while in the books they are pretty rare, most have been wiped out already.
>>
>>338091285
I read the books like 10 years ago and I remember mostly the part about it being a lie (or at least not wholly true). If your knowledge is by any means fresher than mine then I believe you.
>>
>>338082996
so wolfs, deers, cows, bears, chickens, dogs, cats are magical beings? nice fucking logic out there
>>
>>338091383
>connection quality:Poo
Stop playing anytime thirdworlder
>>
>>338091997
what kind of an argument is that? He never fought such beings in the books in the first place, and even in games he fought them with the steel sword you goddamn moron
>>
>>338091997
Have you played the fucking game? Steel does more damage than silver on everything you listed
>>
So the silver sword holds longer
>>
>>338090907
There's a part in one of the books where a dude challenges Geralt at dodging one of his new "toys", a super-fast ninja-like throwing star. Geralt manages to dodge it without effort because the sound gave away the position it was coming from.

He probably wouldn't be able to do the same with bullets but he's proven to be able to dodge superfast things if he knows the general point they'll be striking.
>>
Wouldn't a silver sword stand up to repeated shocks of being flogged into swords/shields etc worse than a steel one? He's probably just taking good care of his gear. I'm assuming it doesn't break when you hit stone monsters because of some kind of magic, I don't actually know shit about the witcher.
>>
>>338082989

>It's as sturdy as a bunch of melted coca cola cans

Fuck
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.