[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what sick mind makes these games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 9
File: nathan-drake.jpg (12 KB, 300x385) Image search: [Google]
nathan-drake.jpg
12 KB, 300x385
>game is about the life of a middle aged white male voiced by Nolan North/Troy Baker trying to set things right and find his place in this world. After killing thousands of foreigners, the game has a happy ending. Totally normal for the psychotic generations of today.

and then there's Spec Ops the Line (somehow the protagonist is still voiced by North) which accurately depicts what happens to a protagonist with a personality, a human being, in such a situation. They go insane. This is the real Uncharted kids, the real CoD, BF, Ubisoft, Rockstar game.

The point is, you dont get to act like so called 'heroes' without pay the price. Its not how things work, its bad role-modelling unless the protagonist is intentionally the way he is (a trained assassin like agent 47 or a cold-blooded maniac like Caleb from Blood). Who knows, maybe that's why the devs are called NaughtyDog.
>>
Not even Nintendo and Minecraft are saved from this scrutiny. If you want to claim to be the good guy, prepare to be a bad guy.
>>
File: ,iyazaki.jpg (45 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
,iyazaki.jpg
45 KB, 500x312
>>338067223
we've been over this.

It's just a fucking video game, first of all. Second, those enemies are for the most part mercenaries,pirates, and guns for hire that have most likely committed atrocities themselves and are a good riddance.

It's just fucking pixels bro.

You kids cry when games censor nudity but you're hating on Generic Drake for killing faceless thugs. you're either just looking for an excuse to hate on Naughty Dog and Sony or just bating.
>>
Whats the matter /v?
Too much text for you?
>>
>>338068839
>its just a game bro
>they are just bad guys bro. Stop being so human.
>>
>>338068839
That argument stops working when the creators of the game keep pushing the narrative side to such a degree.

"Second": the point isn't how much the people he kills deserve it or not, unless you're a psychopath killing so many people - especially just for the sake of finding some treasure - will have some serious repercussions on your psyche.
>>
Why are you copy/pasting comments from Polygon forums to make lazy bait?
>>
>>338069284
He doesn't kill in cold blood though. The people he kills are always trying to kill him too.
>>
>>338069284
Not everything has to be a super gritty hyper realistic look at the psychological impact of killing people. Indiana Jones doesn't do this, Luke Skywalker doesn't do this, and Nathan Drake doesn't need to do this.
>>
>>338067223

> This is the real Uncharted kids, the real CoD, BF, Ubisoft, Rockstar game.

A game is a simulation, it has no obligation whatsoever to represent or depict reality.

Furthermore the Uncharted games are meant to emulate movies like Indiana Jones or the mummy so if anything the games are conditioned by the rules and stereotypes of that genre and not by the rules of reality.

Now be a good lad and fuck off.
>>
>>338067223
There is room in this world for both the likes of Uncharted and Spec Ops, do you really want everything to have the same tone?
>>
Not seeing you are the bad guy is scarier and makes you less desireable to be around than the murderer who knows and admits he is one.
>>
>>338069272
Liberalcuck detected
>>
>>338070062
You cannot ignore the realism because if you try to do all this killing and still have a happy ending with a perfectly sane character, it will say something else about you that you are hiding, that only normal adults would see.
>>
>>338067223

So, what should industry do my man? What's the conclusion?
>>
I went over to the sand box, killed some foreigners, and the government gave me a medal. Also I am voiced by Nolan North.
>>
>>338069284
no, it does not "stop working" they'r simply tyring to tell a story with character development and all that hoopla but since it's an action adventure videogame they throw in some shootan and punchan for fun. How many soldiers did han solo and Luke SKywalker kill and how did it affect them mentally? it doesnt fucking matter. how many civilians did the terrorists kill in the airport scene in COD? who gives a fuck. what's an average kill count on a War of the Roses campaign? shit like these are null and void even when the developer is trying to go for a 2deep4u story. because it's a fucking videogame. Now, does it work all the time? no, seeing Drake kill all those people and have him joke it off with his estranged brother is slightly off putting, but then I remember I'm playing videogame and not reading a novel.
>>
>>338070205
Because Drake does admit who he really is. You cant pretend that side of him doesnt exist. Its impossible to have a cohesive plot then.
>>
>>338067223
you are right nathan drake should be out killing OPs
>>
>>338070782
*doesnt admit
>>
>>338070539
So are you saying everyone who developed this game or has played this game secretely wants to murder tons of people? Please stop.
>>
>>338070969
Only the writters.
>>
Shooters are obviously some kind of power fantasy, centered, as they are, upon enacting, over and over again, one of the gravest moral steps a human being can take. They’re obviously a form of vicarious experience, allowing even the yellowest among us to feel a facile familiarity with combat. They’re obviously tapping into a deep and possibly even evolutionarily vital part of the human mind, in which power asserted becomes advantage gained. And unlike most of humanity’s previous attempts to replicate such dynamics within rule-based confines — like, say, jousting or rugby — no one gets hurt. It’s quite possible that shooters reveal that somewhere inside every human being is a shadow human being, one who kills and takes and does what he or she pleases.
>>
>>338069272
>I'm so human I'm just gonna sit there and let these guys kill me
Sounds like you're more of a retard, honestly.

Also, yeah it is just a game. They aren't real. You've got mental issues if shooting a bad guy trying to kill you in a video game bothers you.
>>
>>338070969
he means the character. Anon is kinda right. Drake should be all kinda fucked up after killing thousands, but who cares, it's just vidya.
>>
>>338071218
>humans are terrible
this is old news
>>
>>338071218
Obviously.
>>
>>338071294
No idiot. Its when the main character isnt bothered by it and the plot revolves around him joking it off in the end.
>>
It's a story with fucking nazi mutants, blue mutant freaks and a man that never feels fatigue. He's a character in this world, and isn't going to abide by rules like 'he should be upset when he kills somebody.'
Tame your 'tism. A lot of characters in games and movies should have a mental breakdown after murdering a bunch of people, but whining over the lack of it where it isn't need is just idiotic.
>>
>play Mario
>kill a bunch of Goombas and Koopas in each level
>Mario doesn't have a mental breakdown at the end of World 1

wtf
>>
>>338071307
Yeah I know what he means but this is clearly not that kind of story nor has it ever been. It's a generally lighthearted adventure story where the protagonist kills people that are trying to kill him, but it's not like he's ripping out their spinal chords and choking them with it.
>>
>>338071526
those lots of characters dont have lives and a personality like Drake who claims to be a good guy.
>>
One day I'll figure why people nitpick Uncharted to high hell.
>>
>>338067223
>killing thousands of foreigners
So he didn't commit a single murder, basically?
>>
>>338071841
here i'll save you the trouble:
-shit gameplay
-shit plot
>>
>>338071728
Yes they do.
Luke Skywalker literally killed an entire space stations worth of Imperials and didn't lose any sleep over it. You know why? Because they were bad guys. These stories are all about good vs bad, and there's not a lot of room for moral ambiguity.
>>
>>338071841
It's a popular AAA game. There you go
>>
>>338071218
>shadow human being, one who kills and takes and does what he or she pleases.
Its not a shadow its your default programming. Might makes right isn't just the law of the land. Its the law of the soul.
>>
>>338072032
>I wouldnt because he didnt
So now you know media and real life are different
>>
>>338067223
Dake mostly kill south african mercanaries and pirates, people who kill for money and have no regard for human life. He's no worse than Indiana Jones or any Star Wars protagonist; they kill in self-defense.
>>
>>338067223
>lara croft kills foreigners
>nobody cares

>nathan drake kills foreigners
>MUH RACISM
>>
>>338071960

kek
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 168x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 168x168
>>338072109
Transcend it.
>>
>>338071728
He calls himself a thief, you interpret that as a good guy based on the people he's against, people that do worse things than him. It's a story, it's not supposed to be a realistic one. He gets shot and heals over time by sitting in cover, you should probably complain about that, too.
>>
File: Tumblrtale.jpg (8 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
Tumblrtale.jpg
8 KB, 460x215
>>338067223
>"waaaah! It's wrong to defend yourself if someone tries to kill you!"

Grow a spine.
>>
>>338072315
Maybe he should seek another line of work?
>>
>>338067223
neat. it's a video game so who cares?
>>
>>338071841
Hint: shitposting.
It's not brought up that jak and daxter murdered a bunch of people, link and Mario kill thousands of animals, any other fighting game.
It's just fantasy violence
>>
>>338072404
You never will, look at what you just tried to do?
>>
Stop pretending to be intelligent.

The purpose of killing thousands of people in games was originally to teach that improving yourself over time was the only way to survive.

Now that challenge in video games doesn't exist it's just a way for bitter people to release some of their anger and hatred. Them doing all of that killing in a videogame means they'll be slightly less angry and hateful in their daily lives. It's very difficult to make a game that's actually harmful to someones' mind. You have to be specifically trying to basically.
>>
>>338071841
It's the only game the PS4 has.
>>
>>338072782
>muh precious, illogical vidya
>>
>>338072782
>You never will, look at what you just tried to do?
Continuing to prove the point unto eternity.
>>
>>338072537
>drake's a thief
thieves have to be charismatic. He must be a sociopath then, some1 with a god complex?
>>
>>338072884
u mean movie
>>
>>338073187
You're an idiot.
>>
>>338067223
Spec Ops is just as shit
>>
>>338069284
killing in self defense is completely different for your psyche. especially if they shoot first.
>>
>>338071504
There's nothing wrong with that though? He did no wrong.
>>
>>338073269
And you dont know how anything works on this planet.
>>
The protagonist of Spec Ops was insane from the start and it's a garbage, racist game anyway.
>>
>>338067223
Or some people are mentally weak like your pussy ass and can sleep a good night even after what they had been through.
>>
>>338073442
Its still damaging to your mental health.
>>
>>338073574
>Or some people are mentally weak like your pussy ass and can sleep a good night even after what they had been through.
You're weaker than anyone else, you wouldn't have lashed out otherwise.
>>
>>338073574
>i like pussy and guns. Im a real man.
k bro
>>
>>338073712
That's not what they said at all. I guess reading is too hard, huh?
>>
>>338073648
Dont be so direct, he's only 10.
>>
>>338070539

No it doesn't. Most people can easily tell the difference between narrative fiction and reality and are never confused by it.

Again reality has nothing to do with simulation. If someone gets confused while the rest of society does not then it's the individual's problem.
The game is not supposed to educate whoever is playing nor give a moral compass nor anything like that.

And again, the rules are not the rules of reality but of genre verisimilitude. Adventure movies accept as plausible that the hero should not give a fuck about the lives of pirates, bounty hunters, enemy soldiers, etc as they are simply resources of the antagonist.

Just go read about how narrative works man...
>>
>>338073497
I don't have to, because we're talking about fiction.
>>
>>338073796
Reading between the lines is for you?
>>
>>338072337
Duh. One is the endless war against the patriarchy and a girl's voyage of self discovery and strength.

The other (Cismale Drake) is a sexist power trip over all of womenhood.
>>
>>338073873
If its fiction, why does drake have a normal life and behaves normally like the rest of us?
>>
Video games are too violent, and teach people that violence has no impact on their mental health. It has desensitised minds, making them murderers.
>>
>>338072795
speak for yourself you wanna be psychotherapist. I play because its fun enacting an Indiana Jones clone saving his brother in interactive set pieces with nice graphics.

Maybe when I was a kid playing Minesweeper I was really living my vicarious subconcious dreams of minesweepers in the south american jungle.
>>
File: betweenthelines.png (56 KB, 1366x904) Image search: [Google]
betweenthelines.png
56 KB, 1366x904
>>338073912
I had to zoom in a bit, sorry. You're right.
>>
>>338074269
#notallvidya
>>
Is Nathan Drake a /pol/lack?
>>
File: nigga u srs.png (127 KB, 164x351) Image search: [Google]
nigga u srs.png
127 KB, 164x351
>>338071504
>gets shot at
>constantly in situations where enemies are trying to kill him first

"omg what a monster! How dare he defend himself and not show remorse for killing people who were shooting at him first!"

This is really how progressives think. This is the world we live in
>>
>>338074463
No, he disarms Sam when he is about to shoot the negress in the head.
>>
>>338074124
Stop this ruse cruise at once.
>>
It's supposed to be a fun adventure game with thrills, chills and spills. No one cares about the soldiers because it has a lighter tone than one that really warrants looking at entirely. He kills potentially thousands of people across four games and he still shoots people and the head and goes "Hell yeah!". Know why it doesn't matter? Because it's a video game and Nathan Drake is more of an ideal than a character. If it was a movie he'd kill about ten to twenty and call it a day but gameplay demands lots of encounters (except 4, what the fuck were they thinking). And no one wants to be Nathan Drake, they want to be like Nathan Drake. Having adventures, finding treasure, getting the girl. This new one completely misses the mark from an emotional standpoint because we're supposed to care about Drake as a character when he's a player surrogate. I felt tons more for Sully in 3 than I have across every game for Drake because Sully is interesting and has a personality. Fuck 4
>>
>>338074686
This guy gets it.
Something monumental has to happen to make people understand this.
>>
>>338067223
It's a video game, you fruity flaming faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 697x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 697x396
>>338067223
Justin go away please, don't you have a country to ruin or something?
>>
>>338076214
"If you fight the fire, it wins."
- Justin Canadafuckerupper
>>
>>338076214
Half his country is burning down. I'd say he's doing good there.
>>
>>338074124

>behaves normally like the rest of us?

He can't play Crash Bandicoot man... he doesn't behave like us.
>>
it's actually quite funny and true. throughout Uncharted 4 you from the little convo you hear between the enemies it really doesn't seem that they were unforgivable criminals and they were there mostly because Nadine/Rafe ordered them. You get to see how scared they are of you and you kill almost every single one of them.

Then at the end your daughter look up the good old picture with daddy holding a shotgun, wonder how the conversation will go when dad mentions that he probably killed about 1000 people in Madagascar.
>>
>>338077124
She's probably a feminist liberal cunt.

The way she says "with a shotgun!" says it all about her feelings towards guns.
>>
File: uncharted_4_drake_smile.0.jpg (120 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
uncharted_4_drake_smile.0.jpg
120 KB, 1920x1080
This is the face of a man who sunk three ancient cities filled with untold treasure and history, indirectly lead a paramilitary to start a civil war in tibet killing thousands, lead a muslim uprising in the middle east against a British expedition and lead a senile old man across the world just to chase a treasure.
>>
The last like 10 seconds with the music was the only part that made me feel something towards anything in the game and it was the fucking end of the uncharted games. I'm thinking on getting that bundle with all the games and maybe uncharted 4 but I don't know if this is a mistake or not.
>>
>>338071504
actually making jokes to ease dark burdens is the most human quality of all
>>
>>338069272
I'm not understanding the argument. You must not play games. Because 90% of games especially these days have a mechanic that you kill a human or type of animal in. Your argument was Invalid the Second you thought it. It's a video game. It's fake. It's nothing close to taking a real life. Plus in life or death situation you're sure as hell gonna kill someone to secure your own life.
>>
File: drakesubway.jpg (128 KB, 635x290) Image search: [Google]
drakesubway.jpg
128 KB, 635x290
>>338077616
Looks like he had a good time.
>>
>>338077616
Nathan had a good life.
>>
>>338067223
>drawing something makes it real
>drawing something means you support it
>if I draw a picture of an anteater imakes me an anteater
>>
>>338067223
No one cares. They literally made a trophy regarding this just for laughs.

It's a game.
>>
>>338071630
the mushrooms numb the pain
>>
>>338077616
>you will never be Nathan Drake
why live
>>
>>338077616
>settled down with qt blondie
>became famous for exploring and discovering artifacts
>still /fit/ in his 50s
>has a qt daughter
>full of money and with a big house on the beachside

worth it
>>
>>338077616
Shame about the cunt wife though
>>
this is amazingly well-crafted bait
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.