[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"random" number generator in a game >not actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: Pepe-The-Frog-Enough-27.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
Pepe-The-Frog-Enough-27.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>"random" number generator in a game
>not actually random at all and can be manipulated and used to get exact desired results
>>
dumb frogposter
>>
Well, computers in general can't produce random numbers without hardware random number generator that produces them from something truly random (like quantum phenomenon) or at least something completely unpredictable (like atmospheric noise). And even they tend to be used for producing seeds for pseudorandom number generation algorithms rather than using those numbers as-is.

Then again, that's clearly not what you're complaining about since humans wouldn't be able to notice a pattern even in inferior pseudorandom number algorithms. The only thing that comes to my mind that might qualify as what you're talking about is savescumming to exploit random number seeds that are either generated as you reload the game (in which case you can save the game before a major action and then save and reload until you get the desirable outcome) or saved in the turn file to prevent this exploit (but in that case you can use up the list of random numbers on trivial actions until you get to one that provides a desirable outcome in the major action you care about).

What are you talking about?
>>
>>338055220
>we put a man on the moon almost 50 years ago
>we can't make a computer to create actual random numbers

why is this aloud?
>>
>>338055635
Computers run from instructions and algorithms.
If these guidelines are written by man then nothing about them is random. They can be pseudorandom, however.
>>
>>338055635
Computers by their nature are fully deterministic. There are algorithms that produce sets of numbers that have the statistical characteristics of truly random sets, but they are deterministically produced from a seed, and if the same seed was used twice, the produced sets would be identical.

These seeds tend to be produced from the state of computer such as uptime or the time (in cryptographic applications they tend to be much more complex than that, like asking you to do stuff on the computer and then also considering CPU load, key presses or other such factors from during this period of time) so it's incredibly difficult to figure out the seed, but the numbers produced from the seed are deterministic nonetheless.
>>
>>338053920
>frogposter doesn't know how computers work
Who would've thought
>>
>it's a 'there is no free will' episode
>>
Actually there was just a breakthrough in RNG technology, so expect it to get significantly better soon.
>>
>>338056905
>knowing how computers work

yeah thats not something you brag about, virgin.
>>
>>338057432
Source?
>>
>>338057432
Yea well there was a breakthrough in your mom's hymen and you came out so I won't hold my breath.
>>
>>338057857
You. I like you.
>>
>>338057692

Underage alert
>>
>>338057692
>knowing how computers work makes you a virgin
Explain the logic behind this.
>>
>>338059908
>>338058391
virgins detected
>>
>>338061462
Was this post written by a computer that's able to produce truly random sequences? I would not have guessed such answer in a million years.
>>
>>338055635
No man made device is truly random. (they are just sufficiently random for most purposes). The only truly random things we have found to date are natural phenomena. (which I wouldn't be surprised as time goes if we actually discover how they are not truly random)
>>
File: 1463295720789.jpg (709 KB, 800x1868) Image search: [Google]
1463295720789.jpg
709 KB, 800x1868
>>338055635
Random number generators that are truly random would be a billon dollar industry, since it could be a substitute for nation leaders like Kim Jong and in almost all cases God.

Just ask the wise Conshell, spongebob.
>>
File: 660092.png (444 KB, 435x513) Image search: [Google]
660092.png
444 KB, 435x513
>>338062567
Programing of such a device itself would have to be random in and of its own, and since it would be man-made, it could never truly be random. Unless you stop being a fag and make it create a number between X and Y, without consulting the ingame clock, that is.

Oh shit, i just cracked the fucking code wow so amazing. Speedruns and loot rolls are great again.
>>
>>338055220
>quantum phenomenon
>truly random
You can never know that without making a metaphysical assumption.
>>
File: Valygar.jpg (21 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Valygar.jpg
21 KB, 210x330
>>338061462
Only the underage care about those that.
>>
>>338062929
>>338062567
>>338062240
https://www.random.org/
>>
>>338063147
Until Stephen Hawking reaches beyond what you'd call metaphysical and pulls out a result to cockslap your daughters pussy with.
>>
>implying non-deterministic random numbers exist
>>
>>338057692
Damn, this is some retarded shit.

This is like the modern equivalent of going up to a peasant and saying "Wow what kind of dork actually knows how to sow fields"
>>
>>338063432
If organic farmers are smart they will hold on to their knowledge for generations until the pleb normies beg them for it after the nuclear holla cost.
>>
There was a monopoly game for either the N64 or the SNES that you could roll a 12 every time by holding the button for a set amount of time
>>
How do you fall for bait that shitty
God I hate this place
>>
>>338058035
I bet you also like reddit
>>
>>338058035
You. i r you.
>>
Kill yourself dumb frogposter
>>
>>338063292
>being retarded
>>
random is random

entropy isn't entropic just because you can manipulate it
>>
File: 007-009-98.jpg (461 KB, 753x1044) Image search: [Google]
007-009-98.jpg
461 KB, 753x1044
>>338064053
[spoiler}TRIGGERED[/spoiler]
>>
>Diablo uses the system time for RNG seeds
>Watch Diablo TAS
>TAS changes system time so everything comes out just how it needs (staircases right next to each other, every drop exactly what it wants)

Pretty neat desu
>>
>>338064127
Great argument
>>
>>338064187
Entropy is destructive in nature, shitlord. What you just said has no argumentation.
>>
>>338064313
Random is still a feature of entropy, it's not magically ordered became some fuckwit comes up with an algorithm that manipulates it.

>Watch as I take this completely random event, and with my mathematical heuristics, cause it to give me the desired results every time; that means it's not truly entropic!
>>
>>338053920
dumb frogposter
>>
>random
>real
lmao just because you can't perceive every variable doesn't mean they don't exist
>>
>>338056908
>its a deterministic systems are deterministic episode
>>
>>338064429
Unless a random number generator both creates a random number and destroys it it is not entropy, manbabie.
>>
>>338064307
atmospheric noise was mentioned in the 2nd reply. It doesn't mean its truly random, just that determining the seed is unpredictable.
Do you want games to visit random.org to find all their variables or do you want consoles to come with atmospheric monitors to find seeds?
>>
>>338061462
Where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>338055635
because one of the principles of physics is that same cause has same consequences, so it's hard to "create" randomness. Even maths can't.
>>
>>338063367
i think stephen hawking isn't going to cockslap anyone, anon
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>speedrunner talking about frame-perfect trick he keeps doing consistently
>it isn't
>>
>>338066230
>trick is frame AND pixel perfect
>it also depends on sub-pixels which is mostly RNG
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.