[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In gaming, do us "Old People" (30 year olds) have the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: NELZ5d763Dd0NT_1_2.jpg (52 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
NELZ5d763Dd0NT_1_2.jpg
52 KB, 500x480
Does our greater degree of experience with video games give us the advantage of more wisdom when it comes to them?

Or have we become so conservative, complacent and nostalgia-blinded we Old People no longer have the Upper Hand?
>>
Seth Rogan is hot
>>
kill yourself
>>
Nope. Gaming is too easy to pick up. By 30 your brain is starting to go haywire. It's not martial arts where experience actually matters.
>>
>>338035872
fuck off aubrey
>>
>>338035910

Accursed Old People aging.

(I'm 33 myself)
>>
File: 1463551262589.jpg (159 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1463551262589.jpg
159 KB, 1280x960
I dont know about wisdom. but I'm 28 years old and my wrist starts hurting after playing a game of unreal tournament or any twitchy shooter on pc. I used to play it alot and I cant anymore.. sad as fuck.
>>
>>338035760
What exactly are you referring to? Skill? Or the ability to analyze games and write about them?

In terms of skill: I'm turning 31 this year and I actually feel like I'm at the top of my game. Kids almost half my age usually don't stand a chance when it comes to games requiring quick reflexes. I played my first team deathmatch in the new Doom hours ago and scored the most. If I have to be honest: Kids are pretty damn bad at games nowadays.
>>
>>338036260

Advice from one of the Old People.

Work out, do forearm flexibility exercises.
>>
File: mfw 32.jpg (35 KB, 310x383) Image search: [Google]
mfw 32.jpg
35 KB, 310x383
By now you should have the wisdom to not play bad video games like some dumb kid would.

Unfortunately that rules out almost all videogames.
>>
>>338036619

Both.

I like to think having seen more of gaming over the years, a 30-year old would be better at evaluating long-term trends in the industry.
>>
Depends on the game. Games you have played all your life you will destroy kids at. Despite not playing much CS i will wreck anyone younger than me at FPS games, even my buddies younger siblings who play games all the time.

Playing 10 hours a day for the last few years isnt enough to beat someone who plays occasionally for 15+ years
>>
Mid 30s here, tend to breeze through anything single player on toughest difficulty and win 2/3rds of online encounters (mostly fifa or darks souls pvp) been playing vidya since I can remember.
>>
>>338035760
you gain some you lose some anon

>i find myself approaching games, both online and offline from a more tactical/strategical perspective
>in competitive online games ( shooters,mmos etc) i find myself always in the 10% of players, but somehow never at the top since i can dominate other, younger players, through experience, but lack the reflexes i had when i was younger

As a kid, playing Quake 2, or 3, i remember the kind of stuff i was pulling with weapons like the Railgun/Rocket Launcher. No matter how hard i try, i can't get back to playing some stuff like i did when i was a kid.
>>
>>338036854
Probably. Thing is, most oldfags tend to idealize the past and it clouds their vision to some degree. Just look at how many players had seizures over every tiny detail the new Doom did differently compared to the original.
>>
What about teenagers who basically play video games all day? Don't they have the best reactions?

They have zero commitments outside of school, so they can just keep playing video games
>>
>>338035760
i dont get what standard you refer to but the modern "gaming" is about online. and as long as you keep playing game with offline, it doesnt even matter what the upper hand/advantage is.
>>
>>338037456

Heh, you haven't seen the Youtube video "Have single-player FPS gone backwards".

It argues that the "modern military shooter" has ruined the genre.

I actually agree with the points raised.
>>
>>338037503

So what? An older player who played "Rogue Spear" will still likely best a teenager who has only played Nerfed-Six (everything since "Lockdown" I think).

Why? Because the first "Rainbow Six" games encouraged you to play quite well because it was a near-one hit kill formula.

They weren't watered down like they are now.
>>
>>338037503
young people will almost always be better because of this. unless you're in your early 30s and kept up the same routine over the years, you'll never be able to relive your glory days.
>>
mid 20's master race, you old farts can go suck a niggerdick against our agility and razorsharp reflexes. our fingers have not yet rusted like yours.
>>
30 here. I think we grew up in a rougher time where games made you have to think of creative ways around problems in the game itself or challenges that didnt explain themselves well. My brothers 11 years younger than me and Ive always destroyed him and his friends at any games theyve wanted me to play with them.

Like not even trying, watching them play is never any surprise. They have no imagination when it comes to anything except how the game told them it should be done. Most kids these days dont seem much sharper than bot matches.
>>
>>338035872
He has to go back
>To Canada
Or to the oven. Whichever comes first.
>>
>>338038316

That's funny. I remember a time when video games didn't have regenerating health bars and massive casualification.

How many franchises have been nerfed now?

"Rainbow Six" used to be a proper tactical-shooter. Now it's "Muh FPS money-seeking" franchise.

"Resident Evil" used to be proper survival horror. Now it's just shoot, shoot, shoot some more, then when everyone's dead try to ask a question or too.

Everything unique is being sacrificed to the idol of the FPS: survival horror, real-time strategy, the tactical shooter, etc.

And the sad thing is, you don't even know what you are missing.
>>
>>338038385

Oh dear God this.

There is so much hand-holding in modern games now, everything has to be spelled out for the gamer. The bare minimum of challenge.

Kinda ironic actually. I felt like older games treated me more like an adult, and I was a kid back then.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.