[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/v/ hates FF XIII for being linear >/v/ loves this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: 250px-Ffxboxart.jpg (37 KB, 250x365) Image search: [Google]
250px-Ffxboxart.jpg
37 KB, 250x365
>/v/ hates FF XIII for being linear
>/v/ loves this game even though it is just as linear

Why?
>>
Perhaps /v/ is actually more than one person.
>>
Because FFX fans are PS2 nostalgiababbies.
>>
>>338027307
FFX felt like you were going on a grand adventure.
FFXIII felt like you were running in a straight line
>>
>>338027307
X has Blitzball.
>>
Turn based combat.
Felt like the last "real" final fantasy.
>>
>>338028220

No, FFX felt like you were running in a straight line too.
>>
>>338028298

The combat was nice, but the sphere grid was fucking awful.
>>
>>338027307
Because FFX has a good battle system and FFXIII doesn't. I just wish X's was better balanced and was a harder game in general.
>>
X had towns with npcs. And side quests that weren't reading a sign and killing a monster.

XIII is just a shit game. I got rid of it as soon as the credits hit. Never pre-ordering a FF again.
>>
>>338028313
it didn't feel that way to me at least. You had towns to break up the action, non linear areas, the eventual ability to backtrack. It was just really nice to sink into.
FFXIII literally felt like 'GO THIS WAY!'
>>
XIII is fine. I've beaten 3 times. It's not as good as X but it's still great. XIII-2 was great too. Lightning Returns is a bit shitty so far though. Struggling to get into it.
>>
>>338028313

I used to try to defend both games, but I can't do it anymore. I say fuck both games. FFX is a piss easy game with unskippable cutscenes, while FFXIII was tedious for more hours than it needed to be.
>>
>>338028605

Maybe it's just because I dropped the game a little time after the blitzball game. Maybe then the game opens up.
>>
>>338028451
Pro sphere grid was great, I loved the freedom to take my characters in the direction I wanted and at end game, you can replace spheres with stronger ones.
>>
>>338027307
>can backtrack
>can interact with NPCs
>towns
>uematsu
>minigames
>best equipment customization in the franchise
>can actually input commands for all party members without a need for an A.I.
>overdrives
>switching out party members during combat
>seeing the turn order with CTB
>aeons are like extra party members

lack of overworld and flying were a disappointment but there were other things to like

How many times are you going to make the same thread?
>>
>>338028736

How does the expert grid differ?
>>
>>338027307
that's pretty much why i think 10 is garbage. that, the voice acting and the pant on head retarded plot makes it one of the worst final fantasy for me.
>>
Because /v/ is shit.
>>
>>338028775
The basic one is shit and offers no real freedom and sucks for end game. Expert is the only one to go with.
>>
>>338028918

>The basic one offers no real freedom
Well fuck, why did nobody tell me the Expert grid was the only good one? That was the single biggest problem with the sphere grid.
>>
>>338028736
>you can replace spheres with stronger ones.

You can do that in the original version of the game as well.
>>
>>338028993
It is pretty retarded, I don't even know why the games gives you a choice, it's basically saying "do you want us to hold your hand so you can just get through the story?"

>>338029046
I know, I was just mentioning it as a plus point in the sphere grid systems favour when compared to conventional levelling up.
>>
>>338027307

X had good characters, enjoyable mechanics, and an interesting world.

XIII had genderbent cloud and corridors
>>
>>338028670
The game "opens up" literally right before you go to the final zone. And you can't even fly around the world in the airship, you can only go to locations discovered.
>>
File: 1443314964955.png (397 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
1443314964955.png
397 KB, 600x850
>>338027307
>FFXIII
>Hyped up as soon as the 7th gen started
>Took years to come out
>Shat on FF as a series by re-imagining every single series staple beyond the point of recognition
>Despite its attempts at serious world building, falls completely flat due to a combination of a shitty codex that has very little relevance to the actual events of the fucking game and a horribly limited scope that gives very little variety in location
>Nobuo Uematsu had nothing to do with the vast majority of the OST and consequently only a handful of songs at best were any good
>Characters are largely dull thanks to the vast majority of them living in a heavily controlled environment where bad shit hasn't happened until the game actually began
>Absolutely flawed mechanically, battle system ridiculously simplified and stripped of any means of actual customization
>Renaming iconic jobs to generic roles
>Auto-battle
>No Sakaguchi

>FFX
>Brought FF into the 6th gen with a bang and in a timely manner
>Built up its own world with a massive scope purely through cutscenes and dialogue, even if it sometimes had to resort to exposition to do so
>Admittedly cliche MC with amnesia at least made sense as to why so much shit had to be explained
>Half decent twist at the end, too
>Battle system, while not traditional ATB, was expansive as fuck with tremendous amounts of options
>Sphere grid allows for ridiculous amounts of customization
>Can be incredibly specialized or do anything
>Can even forgo the sphere grid entirely for a challenge
>Can backtrack to just about any point in the game quite easily once you unlock the airship
>Numerous sidequests and extra shit give you actual reasons to backtrack
>World has a huge scope, unique culture, and interesting characters that all had to deal with the sad reality of their world
>Amazing OST with many contributions by Nobuo Uematsu, numerous memorable tracks
>No auto-battle
>Sakaguchi involvement
>>
>>338027307

>better cast
>better combat
>better music

its a no brainer
>>
>>338028645
>FFX is a piss easy game with unskippable cutscenes
You mean like every final fantasy game?
>>
>>338029518
Ah fuck. I can't believe you've done this
>>
>>338027307
literally almost every single FF game forces you down a linear path until you defeat some difficult boss towards the end and you get an airship or something. I don't know why you guys hang on the linearity of FFXIII and FFX so much. They're at least honest instead of giving you the illusion that you have choice but actually forcing you down a road.
>>
>>338027307
I literally finished the game for the first time less than a week ago and it was boring as fuck. Didn't even bother with Omega or the Dark Aeons. Every place in the map was boring and not worth revisiting. In the end I abused the hell out of doublecast + copycat. Blitzball is such bullshit

I can't even remember why Jecht is an asshole to Tidus
>>
>>338029935
What can't you believe I've done?
>>
>>338028645

>FFX is a piss easy game

Confirmed for never done endgame
>>
>>338030252
>I literally finished the game for the first time less than a week ago and it was boring as fuck.
What did you expect from a Final Fantasy game?
>>
>>338028313
Tbh they tried hiding it by at least curving the road and the map showed only where you went through.

In FF13 you can see where you're going from a mile away and they don't even bother trying to add curves and turns
>>
>>338030295
>he thinks FFX endgame was hard
You took the short bus to school didn't you?
>>
>>338030313
decent plot progression and more world map content. I don't want to discover some secret area in the world map that turns up to be just one inaccessible gap from an area you have been before.
>>
>>338030252
>Didn't even bother with Omega or the Dark Aeons.

They're what makes playing the game worthwhile in the first place. You should be able to easily play for another 50 hours or so without looking up a guide and have tons of shit to do. FFX has the worst main game, but the best side content.
>>
>>338030295
endgame hard? no its just a ton of grinding to get your stats up. Once you have the stats they're like any other monster.
>>
>>338030471
This.
>>
>>338030448
>decent plot progression and more world map content
why would you play a final fantasy game for those things?
>>
>>338030295
>grinding takes skill

anyone can do endgame if the have a save file with a complete sphere grid for all characters with auto-something abilites in their equipment. you're a loser if you're going to bother grinding for that
>>
>>338027307
>just as linear
it's linear, but not just as linear
>>
>>338030624
because every ff game before 10 had that?
>>
>>338030471
50 hours grinding omega ruins just to beat them? maybe if they'd offer some other places I'd get interested, but I can't think of any better
>>
>>338030687
>giving effort is for losers
How casual can you be?
>>
>>338030837
>50 hours grinding omega ruins just to beat them?

It does suck that Omega ruins are the main 'end game' area of normal enemies, but there's much more than that. Like I said though, I'd strongly recommend not looking up a guide and figuring shit out for yourself, otherwise I wouldn't be telling you to do it at all. I fucking hated FFX's main game, but God does it becomes so beautiful when you can get over that and all the shitty cutscenes clogging everything up and actually appreciate what's there in front of you for the first time. I'd be willing to put it in my top ten just for the endgame.
>>
>>338029331
>Half decent twist
The "turns out there was no time travel and that Tidus's Zanarkand is actually just a dream version of what Zanarkand looked like and that he is a dream too" and Yuna dies while after having defeated sin because Yevon takes over the Final Summoning and then attacks the summoner was a two great Tweeeessssstssss
>>
>>338027307
FF XIII had cringy, totally unlikable characters
FF X had cringy but somewhat likable characters
>>
File: 1451122997516.jpg (220 KB, 436x480) Image search: [Google]
1451122997516.jpg
220 KB, 436x480
>>338031558
How many other games can you name where the protag is literally a dream?
>>
>>338032001
If that question was aimed at me then I can only say none
>>
>>338027307
X had towns and a world you could interact with.

XIII did not.

X did conditional turn-based right.

XIII did some half-assed attempt at fusing real time and ATB and autobattling.

X had the boob mage.

XIII had that aussie cunt with the stick.
>>
>>338030753
>playing Final Fantasy for its story
>playing Final Fantasy for open world content
you're playing the wrong series, anon. Final Fantasy isn't good at either of those things
>>
>>338032598
i don't know what's left then
crappy as fuck combat?
>>
>>338029331

>>Nobuo Uematsu had nothing to do with the vast majority of the OST and consequently only a handful of songs at best were any good

>Amazing OST with many contributions by Nobuo Uematsu, numerous memorable tracks

I can guarantee you any song you liked from FFX was made by Hamauzu.
>>
>>338032598
Well seeing how FF10 is chock full of unskippable cutscenes you pretty much are playing it for the story whether you want to or not.
>>
File: 1323453055778.jpg (80 KB, 441x384) Image search: [Google]
1323453055778.jpg
80 KB, 441x384
>>338030753
Yeah anon, because everyone had amnesia was a paragon of decent story-progression.
>>
>>338032872
Not that guy but... Seymour's battle theme?
>>
>>338032872
>source: my ass
>>
>>338030753
>>338032983
Tidus never had amnesia though, he even think it's humorous how he has to lie to everyone about Sin's toxin because he's confused to how things work in Spira compared to his Zanarkand/world
>>
>>338033110
I was talking about FFVIII tweeeeest.
>>
>>338033110
He's referring to FF8 when he said "everyone had amnesia"
>>
>>338032872
Literally go to wikipedia. 90% of FFX's OST has Uematsu involved.
>>
>>338033189
>>338033203
Oh right, I only played that game once and never touched it again, I do remember that "Everyone being in the same orphanage and they all conviently "forgot" about it"
>>
>>338033339

I can understand playing FFXIII only once but playing FFVIII only once should be a criminal offence.
>>
>>338028626
>>
>>338033483
Why would anyone play that pile of shit more than once?
>>
>>338033483
>multiple playthrough of FF8
I don't hate myself that much anon.
>>
>>338030753
What am I even reading?
Literally FFX is the only one that even tried to have a story or characters.
>>
>>338029331
>>Characters are largely dull thanks to the vast majority of them living in a heavily controlled environment where bad shit hasn't happened until the game actually began
That's not the problem. You could take that premise and write some good ass characters, the problem is that the writers did a dreadfully awful job. Or rather, they did no job at all.
>>
>>338027307
you already complained about this two days ago.
>>
>>338028993
>>338029159

except the basic one was better because when you got to the REAL end game (penance) the basic sphere grid had more openings in it which made getting max stats easier
>>
File: GMXOAHK.gif (216 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
GMXOAHK.gif
216 KB, 320x240
>>338032598
>>338032983
>>338033110
>>338033602
I didn't meant to say FF stories are good, but I mean the past ones at least progressed.

In FFX all I was doing was gathering all aeons , with some side info happening. But I was still gathering aeons and after yunalesca the game pretty much ends
>>
>>338027307

X at least had towns and let you walk backwards along the path. The straight path was also more justified by being a specific pilgrimage.

It's not so much that X did it better, but more XIII managed to do so much worse.
>>
>>338033339
It wasn't "convenient". They lost past memories due to GF use. It literally says this in the game.
>>
>>338033576
>>338033593
beating the game with a lvl 8 squall is kinda fun, its worth a playthrough once you've figured you can do that since you're gameplay will actually change
>>
>>338034080
Yeah, it was a asspull and shitty direction they took with that part of the story in the game
>>
>>338033981
>with some side info happening
You know, the Aeons are the "side stuff" that's happening, Tidus and the other characters story progression isn't "side stuff"

Are you pulling my plonker?
>>
I really enjoyed the paradigm shift in XIII.
Or at least I thought it was a cool concept that could of used more development.
Also while staggering is a really simple mechanic, I liked that it gave you a concrete goal to focus on during battle.
I usually get bored in final fantasy games because most random encounters offer no strategy other than hitting attack to conserve MP or a spell to finish it quicker.
Also the Character designs, world design and music were all pretty damn good.

It's a shame that everything else about it was rubbish.

I do believe that it would have more people defending its good points if Square hadn't made the absolutely retarded decision to turn the thing into a trilogy
>>
>>338027307
Because most people here played X when they were a kid
>>
I don't understand how people can enjoy using every character in every battle just to keep the EXP even.
It makes sense on paper but fuck it's tedious to play.
>>
>>338034409
Or you can just play the ones that fit the type of enemies you're facing? It's easy to catch up on experience anyway
>>
>>338033981
At this point I'm pretty sure you are just pulling my leg.

>>338034409
It's only 30 second extra to switch characters and get EXP for all of them. Stop being such a fucking autist.
>>
>>338034409
>I'm autistic, therefore this game is bad
You are literally a terrible person.
>>
>>338027307
>/v/ hates FF XIII for being linear
Nah, people hate it for being an awful game.
>>
>>338034104
beating the game with a level 8 squall is easier since enemies stats scale with the characters level and you won't be significantly weaker since you only gain ~100/255 state points from the levels 1-100 whereas you gain far more than that from equipping pretty much any mid-late game magic
>>
>>338034203
>>338034567
auron's backstory is the only interesting part I'd consider. I guess tidus being a dream is kinda an okay plottwist

Everything else feels poorly written; yuna's wedding attempt to send off seymor, rikku and al bhed actually trying to save summoners, yuna supposedly dying if she summons the final aeon, etc. Even kimari, wakka and lulu's stories are forgettable
>>
>>338034129
it was mentioned at least 3 times before the scene in trabia, so no, it wasn't just a random thing they threw in
>>
>>338032962
There are no Final Fantasy games prior to 10 with skippable cutscenes either. Why do people point this out like it's something new to the series?
>>
>>338035373

Because they last forever.
>>
>>338034567
>It's only 30 second extra to switch characters and get EXP for all of them. Stop being such a fucking autist.
Not wanting to add 30 seconds to every encounter so every party member can get their lovetap in sounds like the opposite of autistic anon...
>>
>>338035373
none of the earlier games had massive amounts of dialogue, that cutscene before fighting yunalesca went for at least 5 minutes and was painful as fuck to repeat
>>
>>338035532
>none of the earlier games had massive amounts of dialogue
You're joking right?

Or maybe you've just never played 6, 7, 8 or 9.
>>
>>338035596
i'm talking IN the cutscenes, 10 was the first to have actual voice acting and they milked the fuck out of it
>>
>>338035690
>i'm talking IN the cutscenes
Yes, that's what I'm talking about as well. Just because you have to push a button to make the text scroll doesn't make it not a cutscene.
>>
>>338028159
but the PS2 is indeed the best console ever
>>
FF X-2 is the best game in the series

The combat is so much better than every other entry
>>
>>338035774
i mean technically maybe but when people say cutscenes they are usually talking cinematic, like when, you know, the game CUTS to a different SCENE
>>
>>338035901
combat was good, new game + and replayability was good, side quests were ok, but the story? even worse than 10
>>
>>338035921
You keep moving the goalpost every time someone calls you out on your shit. Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>338035921
>i mean technically maybe but when people say cutscenes they are usually talking cinematic
So you consider massive dialogue text dumps where you have no control over your character for many minutes at a time to be actual gameplay?
>>
MOMS ARE TOUGH
>>
>>338035901
You could have the best combat system in the world, but if there's no challenge outside that endgame dungeon (where you just use catnip anyway), then it's not that much of a redeeming feature. FF games are usually easy but this one was a joke.
>>
you have to be a fanboy nostalgiababby if you think any ff game was nonlinear. FF7, FF8, and FF9 are barely open world. When I think of open world RPG, I think of the Fallout games, which pretty much let you handle the story in anyway. The exact same seqeuence of events, maybe with minor differences, will occur on every single person's playthrough of any FF game.
>>
>>338036012
>>338036009
I wouldn't consider it gameplay, but I wouldn't call it a cutscene either.

Either way you two fuck heads are missing the point, I've played main titles in the series and 10 is by far the worst for unskippable bullshit
>>
I am /v/ and I hate this game. Anyone claiming otherwise is an imposter
>>
>>338035532
>being so casual he needs to repeat things
How is this possible? I can understand Seymour on Mt. Gagazet, but that's pretty much the only time you should ever die in the game.
>>
>>338036163
1 is truly open world

Also 13 sucked because the combat really sucked
I could have suffered through everything else but combat wasn't fun
>>
>>338036201
>but I wouldn't call it a cutscene either.
What is it if not a cutscene?
>10 is by far the worst for unskippable bullshit
It's just as bad as all of the other games.
>>
>>338036290
>not originally playing the game when you were 7 years old and retarded

If I play through now I don't lose at all, doesn't change the fact that the cutscenes are STILL the longest and most annoying out of any main FF title.
>>
>>338027307
I played both ten and thirteen for the first time in my life this year

Honestly they were both... unpleasant
>>
>>338036123
>where you just use catnip anyway
it got nerfed in the international version
>>
>>338036201
You are so full of shit. Pushing x for twenty minutes straight to advance the dialogue is just as bad as listening to characters talking for twenty minutes.

Either way you have severe ADHD and should just kill yourself.
>>
>>338036595
Except you never have to sit there pressing X for that long, maybe if you'd actually played the game instead of sitting on /v/ and talking shit all day you'd know you fucking piece of shit cunt
>>
>>338036386
I played the game when I was twelve. Still didn't die once, except for Seymour.

Also
>born in 1995
Oh, you're fucking babby scum. Why didn't you just say so in the first place?

Ignored.
>>
>>338036695
>Except you never have to sit there pressing X for that long
His "20 minute example" was obviously hyperbole, but you absolutely have to press X/O/A for as long as any cutscene lasts in FFX. You're just remembering it wrong.
>>
>>338036816
1994 actually
>>
>>338027307
FFX being a line is partly story driven I guess. By and large you are following the path of a summoner on a pilgrimage to obtain the Final Aron, a path that has been the same for ages. You don't have a lot off freedom to stray from that path.
>>
>>338036816
>Still didn't die once, except for Seymour.
>actually dying on Seymour
my sides.
>>
>>338036695
>don't know what hyperbole is
>still blaming FFX for that shit when all other games is just as guilty
Kill yourself.
>>
>>338036879
I'll fucking play all of the games and record them if I have to to show you and that other retard how wrong you are. Delusional fucks
>>
But I hate both of these games for being shit, not for being linear.
>>
>>338036950
>I like to shitpost about games I've never played
>>
>>338036950
>>338036816
>dying on Seymour

is that the one where he casts zombie n you in that ronso mountain, was it gagazet?
>>
>>338033871

IIRC you can achieve max stats on either, except for HP, of which there's no reason to go above 9,999 anyway.

Expert Sphere Grid is far superior
>>
>>338037275
a couple of the dark aeons were best beaten with max hp, can't remember which though
>>
>>338037031
Sure. I'm very interested in seeing your proof that spamming X for minutes at a time to manually advance a cutscene is more fun than doing something else while a cutscene automatically plays.
>>
>>338037237
Obviously.

Literally in my previous post, I said the words "Gagazet Seymour."
>>
Anyone else using boosters just to play through the game?

I've beat it 100% as a kid and played the first 5 hours or so naturally. I just want to live through the flashbacks and the deeper Yuna feels parts.
>>
>>338027307
XIII is shit for many other reasons than it's linearity and X's makes sense since the party has to go to every temple on the way to Zanarkand.
>>
>>338030471
>Grinding just to beat a bonus boss is what makes a boring game worthwhile
Do you listen to yourself?
>>
>>338037219
I beat it when I was 12. I didn't die on any boss. You're shit at games and probably rode the short bus to school.
>>
>>338027307
In Final Fantasy X, your goal is to literally go in a straight line, going through each temple along the way, and getting back on that path when fate pushes you off of it.
>>
>>338037379

Only matters if you haven't got equipment setups right, I'm pretty sure

For most end-game content, HP is irrelevant because they either one-shot one member, which is negated by auto-phoenix, or one-shot the party which is negated by auto-life
>>
>>338037529
you don't have to grind if you're not retarded. try using your brain and strategizing.
>>
>>338037492
>Literally in my previous post, I said the words "Gagazet Seymour."
>implying I'm the same anon
>Implying I backtrack reading
>>
X, XIII, and VIII are three of the worst games in the franchise. Even 2, due to its PSP remake, is better than those abortions.
>>
>>338037468
That's not the argument here dickhead, nobody said one was more fun than the other. Jesus christ you're so shit at this I'm not gonna bother anymore
>>
>>338037275
You can actually reach max HP on expert with functionally maxed stats.

You sacrifice a couple luck nodes because it functionally caps at 230, not 255.
>>
>>338037672
Got (You) fåm
>>
File: gey.png (3 MB, 1920x1078) Image search: [Google]
gey.png
3 MB, 1920x1078
>>
>>338028313
No it doesn't
>>
Final Fantasy 3,4(maybe 5,never played it)7,8,9
are the only good one's
And no 6 isn't good. Gay theme and characters and cringy stupid boring opera sections
>>
>>338037649
>PLAYING A GAME FOR HOURS, BEING BORED TO DEATH, JUST TO PROGRESS FAR ENOUGH TO FIGHT A BOSS
>What, bruh, that's not grinding, the first 40+ hours are an experience.

If you have to spend dozens of hours killing monsters to get to that point, it's grinding.

Seriously. Fucking listen to yourself. You're saying that the entire game itself isn't the reason to play the game.
>>
>>338037698
>nobody said one was more fun than the other
Then what are you saying?

I'd rather a cutscene play automatically than have to sit there spamming a button to slog through it, even if the automatic cutscene is slightly longer.
>>
>>338037887
I'll agree that 4 is good, it's probably the most fun I've had playing a FF game as an adult (especially on the PSP with after years and the other spin off/sequels), but 3 is shit and 6 & 10 are good
>>
>>338037896
>40+ hours
Imagine being this shit at video games.
>>
>>338033602
The fuck are you on about? The characters were a step down from 8's, which were a step down from 7's.
>>
>>338037976
If you knew how to read you'd know that the argument was "FFX has the longest unskippable cutscenes", there was literally nothing else to it
>>
>>338037275
>Expert Sphere Grid is far superior
I love this false meme
>>
File: 1450948810408.gif (210 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450948810408.gif
210 KB, 500x500
>>338033663
If you write a world where 90% of the population consists of sheltered whiny cunts, then 90% of your cast wilkl be sheltered whiny cunts.

Especially if anyone is named Hope.
>>
>>338038062
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=3525

I'm sorry that most people don't get to Penance in 35 hours like you, anon.
>>
>>338030082
At least in other games you get to explore even before you get an airship. Sure you usually can't explore much depending on how far you are in the story, but at least you can fuck around and do optional stuff in between dungeons. X is really linear, but it at least has sections to break things up and let the player take a break from dungeons and story; XIII is the only game that forces you down a road and you don't even get to use your whole party for most of the time either.
>>
>>338038081
>7 had great characters
Worst meme of the century.
>>
File: starseed.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
starseed.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
>>338037736
I never figured out what the luck stat did desu

And now that I think about it, there's really a bunch of worthless skills and commands in this game
>>
>>338038107

Elaborate please.
>>
>>338037760
Go ahead, name three worse core titles.
>>
>>338027307
I guess I'm not /v/ then
Who'da thunk it?
>>
>>338038094
>FFX has the longest unskippable cutscenes
Still waiting for your evidence of this, and even if it is true, why is it relevant to anything when the experience of waiting through an automatic cutscene is significantly less annoying than manually advancing a cutscene sentence by sentence like in previous games?
>>
>>338038262
increases critical hit rate, dodge rate, etc
>>
>>338038107

>I can't counter his point
>I'll call it a meme, that'll show him
>>
In X the linearity is distracted away from because you actually have places to go and destinations to look forward to. Plus besides the transition to the desert island you experience the journey. As worldmapless as the game is you still trek from destination to destination with everything making sense how it's all put together.

In 13 your characters just amble around to incredibly distant, completely disconnected areas with little to no context, often without any real clue where they're going or why.
>>
>>338038238
I didn't say that.
I said 10 was worse than 8, which was worse than 7. They said 10 was the first time the series tried to have story and characters, but it was the new low point for the series at release (barring 1 and 3, as it had no characters).
>>
>>338038329
not the (you), but FFX's cutscenes are bullshit. in X-2 you can at least skip. Not being able to skip is the worst part especially if you're watching shit for the 3rd 4th time.
>>
>>338027307
Because fuck the Al Bhed and their machina
>>
>>338038265
The standard sphere grid has more nodes

Also you can max stats with either grid, but for the expert grid you'll have to give up a bit of magic or luck if you want 99999 health. Note that 99999 health is not required to beat anything.

>>338038365
There's your spoonfeed
>>
>>338038172
>howlongtobeat.com
>most people
most people are retarded, anon. in particular people who actually enjoy final fantasy enough to log their hours on some shitty, statistically insignificant poll website.
>>
>>338038583
I'm just saying, I don't think it's a matter of "being shit" that causes people to take over 40 hours to beat the core narrative and post-game content.
>>
>>338038579

Who the fuck cares about that? At least the Expert grid lets you make some choices.
>>
File: Auron_Art.png (165 KB, 430x570) Image search: [Google]
Auron_Art.png
165 KB, 430x570
X had Auron in your party, who himself alone is more likeable AND fuckable than the entirety of the party in XIII.

And it's not even gay to think so.
>>
>>338038579

Exactly, with expert you can still max all relevant stats, especially since as you said 99,999 health is not needed.

So you've got a grid that's got just as much usefulness in the end game, while providing much more freedom and customisation during the early game. It also looks better

So again, Expert Sphere Grid is far superior
>>
You know when I first showed up /v/ hated X. Every thread got shit all the fuck over. 5 years later and most of /v/ loves it
>>
>>338038757
Yeah, cause anyone with a tiny bit of game knowledge isn't gonna build any of the characters in another ones "sphere tree" or bother with Kimahri, the "freedom" argument is so shit that it's laughable.

>>338038892
It really isn't superior in any way
>>
They need to release 12 on PC already
>>
>>338038874
you do know his undead dick was inside braska's poophole one time right? its canon
>>
okay well while i've got you all here, what's a good android game i can play on my phone? already played all the FF ports and this series called zenonia, anything else that's similar and decent?
>>
File: Yuffie.jpg (378 KB, 619x1000) Image search: [Google]
Yuffie.jpg
378 KB, 619x1000
FFX was a true final fantasy.

Great story, honestly one of my favorite stories of all the FF games. I like how shallow the main story is, doing something that needs to be done every ten years, but deep with all of it's twists along the journey and the truth about Zanarkand and the Final Aeon.

It features the greatest battle system ever implemented in a Final Fantasy, true turn based with an ATB system. It was very strategic, and forgiving at the same time.

Despite being a hallway simulator, there's plenty to explore, extras to find, and I got great joy of retracing my steps once I found the first jecht sphere.

The airship was well done for the game, I would've loved to have seen Bevelle more, and the Omega Ruins could've been a bit more epic. But, all in all, the side stuff was truly great. From discovering Lulu's previous pilgrimage fate, to getting the Aenima or the Magus Sisters.

It was rewarding, I usually pride myself on getting everyones ultimate weapon in all the Final Fantasy games, but X made it difficult enough for me to not ever achieve that goal, and instead I settled for just a few ultimate weapons on the characters I mainly use.

Blitzball was a great mini-game, and although I miss cards, and desire something a little slower paced, I still enjoy min/maxing on blitzball, and having an impossible to score on goalie with a super fast center to pass the ball to Tidus who could make a shot past half court.

The sphere grid was a unique concept, and much like Junctioning, or Materia it worked for exactly what you wanted it to do.

I liked that it guided each character at the start to complete their own jobs, then branch out to other grids.

All in all, ten was a great final fantasy, and truthfully the last good one.

We will never see another ATB/TurnBased FF again, and it's sad. But, X was a high note to end on if you ask me.

I played XII, and was severely disappointed.
I played XIII and was even further disappointed.
I willplayXVtooandhopeforthebest
>>
>>338038923
The demographics have shifted and most of /v/ grew up with X.
X was my first and I fucking hated it, but then I'm weird and almost always like the first entry I play the least.
>>
>>338038923

PS2babbies grew up.
>>
>Just as linear

>Most areas have places you can go around to search for items
>Actual cities
>Areas are more than a hallway

How did this meme start?
>>
>>338028313
There were at least towns to go to and you could interact with more than just your party and enemies. That's why it felt better to me.
>>
File: 12.png (866 KB, 1280x717) Image search: [Google]
12.png
866 KB, 1280x717
>>338038994
play international zodiac job system on an emulator. it looks pretty damn good upscaled
>>
Cloud and Squall were the only good main protagonists
Everyone else is gay
>>
>>338038979

>I played the game one way so no-one else will ever play it a different way

Last time I played I didn't bother with Lulu, or White Magic and ran Yuna through Lulus path, I also ran Tidus through Auron's path and Kimahri through Rikku's path for early game thief.

Why do you hate choice so much, anon?
>>
>>338039325
except it's so fucking easy. i remember i had a bit of trouble when i first played it on ps2, and then i play that version on pc and it was a fucking joke how easy it was
>>
>>338027307
>/v/ loves this game even though it is just as linear
>/v/ is one person

FFX was terrible. People were hyped about it because graphics was revolutionary for FF series. Story and characters were horrible (aside of Auron maybe).
>>
>>338039671
>characters were terrible
>except the edgiest of them all
>>
>>338039385
It's the illusion of choice, if you're doing endgame it doesn't matter anyway what path you go.

You could just play Auron and Rikku instead of doing a hipster shtick about it, and early game thief is so overrated it's not even funny.

But you go ahead and bother with Kimahri for your hipster points
>>
>>338039253
>>338039253
>>338039253
>>
>>338027307
FFX was just as linear as FFXIII, but it was a better game. The battle system and characters were much better. The sphere grid was more satisfying than the bullshit trees in FFXIII. Basically, the entirety of FFXIII was shit, whereas just the level design of X was shit.
>>
>>338040076
10 was linear but to say it was as linear as 13 is a blatant lie. you couldn't backtrack at all in 13, except for like 5 maps on gran pulse that was it. there were no towns, no real side quests, the game was just empty and 100% on rails
>>
>>338039742

Is there something wrong with letting people use the characters they like? I get that the idea is to use the character that's appropriate for the situation until end-game, hell I'll even grant that's how I played it first time through, but you're acting like anyone that wants to play different is stupid.

What if I want to play through and just use my favourite party members, rather than leveling everyone? I don't see how having the option to make Tidus a mage or Yuna a Power Hitter is not infinitely superior to every playthrough being exactly the same until end-game.
>>
>>338040186
Fine, FFX was less linear than FFXIII, but still linear as fuck for almost the whole game.
>>
>>338037887
V is FFIII 2.0 and is by far the best Final Fantasy ever made.
>>
>>338039339
Cloud and Squall are among the gayest protagonists in the series.

Even Zidane is less gay than Cloud and Squall.
>>
>>338040317
fun fact: all FF games since FF3 are linear
>>
>>338040275
Is there someting about Kimahri you can like besides pleasing some kind of furry fetish? He has no redeeming values whatsoever.
>>
>>338040425
depends on what we're comparing it to. I would argue that the ff games have become more linear as they've been made with some exception, the anomaly that is FFXII. FFXII is not linear.
>>
>>338040596
>steal enemy skills and spells
>becomes the most OP character as the game progresses
>overdrives so OP, one is locked behind the most difficult dungeon
>>
>>338040596

I like pole-arms, also while he's a boring character I do like his design

Besides, if someone does want to play as Kimahri, isn't expert a superior option for allowing them to play Kimahri as they want to?
>>
>>338027307
who's the most useless character /v/ ?
>>
>>338040752
Yes, I meant since FF3 till FFX. FFX-2, FFXI, FFXII, FFXIII-2, FFLR, and FFXIV of the mainline FF games aren't linear.
>>
>>338032872
>I can guarantee you any song you liked from FFX was made by Hamauzu.
I’ll take you up on that. I'll list my top 5 from the OST from memory before I check who wrote them.
I’ll reply with who made what.
1. Someday the Dream Will End
2. To Zanarkand
3. Wandering Flame
4. Suteki da Ne
5. Hymn of the Fayth (generic, but Yunaleska’s if I had to pick one)
>>
File: 1444070343491.jpg (76 KB, 349x356) Image search: [Google]
1444070343491.jpg
76 KB, 349x356
>>338040865
>>becomes the most OP character as the game progresses

>Any Kimahri overdrive better than Trio of 9999 / Eccentric to name a few
>>
>>338041016
Kihmari and rikku
>>
When are going to HD-ify FF12?
>>
File: 1438896342062.jpg (16 KB, 273x280) Image search: [Google]
1438896342062.jpg
16 KB, 273x280
>>338041107
>rikku
>useless
>>
Is X-2 any good? I'm thinking of starting it after I finish X.
>>
>>338041107

>rikku
>useless
>>
>>338027307
I hated 13 for a lot of reasons.13-2 was passable though. Loved X for a lot of reasons.
>>
>>338041107

>Rikku
>Not the most gamebreaking character out of them all
>>
>>338035880
If it's the best console ever why aren't dev's still making games for it?
>>
>>338041234
No it is garbage. Combat is okay but nothing saved that cringefest story.
>>
>>338041103
Welp, 50/50 split on this. Guess you had a point.

>Someday the Dream Will End
Uematsu and Hamauzu
>To Zanarkand
Uematsu
>Wandering Flame
Hamauzu
>Suteki da Ne
Uematsu
>Hymn of the Fayth
Uematsu and Hamauzu
>>
>>338041192
>>338041248
Not that guy, but Rikku is kinda useless if you play story mode only. Tidus, Auron, Lulu are the best party with occasional Yuna or Wakka depending on the situation.

Post game Rikku is a different beast though.
>>
File: 1375225293398.jpg (73 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
1375225293398.jpg
73 KB, 600x300
>>338041107

>he doesn't know you can combo al-bhed potions with alchemist and bench Yuna for the rest of the game
>>
>>338041276
What i hated the most was the fucking combat
>can't switch characters midbattle
>if you die your allies can't revive you or you can't switch to them
>can't control your or allies positioning at all
>having to stagger a boss to do major damage towards it
>>
>>338041234

It's way better, since it's not nearly as linear and has a much nicer combat system.
>>
I like linear games with a good storyline}

>B-but muh freedom

Fuck you, the whole open world is the biggest fucking cancer in gaming right now
>>
>>338041234
It's great, but holy shit there is a lot of missable stuff in this game, it's one of those games that are literally impossible to 100% without a guide
>>
>>338041568

Classic FF overworlds are not the same as open world sandboxes.
>>
>>338041492

extremely useful in main story for speedrunning too, but I can see why she'd appear useless to the casual player
>>
File: uhINHV9.gif (2 MB, 432x319) Image search: [Google]
uhINHV9.gif
2 MB, 432x319
>>338041234
>skipping cutscenes prevents you from getting 100%
>>
>ffx was one of first ps2 games
>fell in love with it
>replay ffx now
>pretty lifeless and boring battle system and unexciting side quests
>characters arent as interesting as remembered
What a disappointment. Really pales in comparison to even 13.
>>
>>338041798
Thanksfully you only need to 100% once and can then do as many newgameplus you want without ever bothering with story again
>>
File: 1462535970044.png (334 KB, 515x446) Image search: [Google]
1462535970044.png
334 KB, 515x446
>>338041798

>mashing through even the wrong textbox can cost 100%
>game gives no indication of this
>>
>>338040076
>The battle system
It's basically rock-paper-scissors. A flying enemy? Oh, I need to hit it with Wakka. An armoured enemy? Go, Auron! Wait, my attacks doesn't do any damage to this one? Ok, time for Lulu.

>characters
Firstly, say what you want, but Lightning is a way better protag than that faggot Tidus.
About others, it's rather subjective. I don't like Wakka and Yuna. I also don't like Snow and Vanille.

>The sphere grid was more satisfying than the bullshit trees in FFXIII.
No, the sphere grid is also bullshit. XIII should just go with an auto-leveling system, like in every FF game up to IX, I admit, because it doesn't do shit and only wastes your time.
>>
Why do people use the term 100% for games that don't provide a percentage counter?

How do you even define 100%? 99 of every item? Talk to every NPC? Walk over every pixel in the game?
>>
>>338042334
Are you referring to >>338041914 me? since x-2 actually does have a 100% counter
>>
>>338027307
>tfw OP is being reasonable
I love FF 13 and never noticed how linear it was at first. I think FF X is okay as a game but the linear part doesn't make it bad. Linear can be good.
>>
>>338042334
X-2 has the counter. The problem is it's very hard to determine what counts as percentage.
>>
>>338042334
I dunno, I was thinking of achievements / trophies and it sounds just fine. I've only played the HD version
>>
You know exactly why.
ALL you do in XIII is fight. Every fucking thing involves fighting.
There's plenty of non fighting side quests in FFX and a lot of cool hidden things. It took me 169 hours to 100% X. Guess how long for XIII? 84. There's your difference.
>>
>>338027307
FFX had a plot that justified linearity. Following a summoner on a pilgrimage that has been done for centuries is going to result in some pretty point-to-point travels.
>>
Final Fantasy IX = GOAT
>>
>>338039212
THIS
>>
File: 34138.jpg (13 KB, 534x432) Image search: [Google]
34138.jpg
13 KB, 534x432
>>338027307
Easy.

Unlike XIII, X has

>good characters
>decent story
>great battle system
>really good waifus
>fantastic soundtrack

All these things XIII does not have
>>
>>338027307
XIII is a glorified movie
>>
because it's hella charming and I cared almost all the time though Khimari and his whole story was kinda shit, and I guess I don't give a shit about the al bhed either
>>
>>338027307
Oh that's easy, the combat in FFXIII sucked major ass in my opinion, after playing 3-4 hours I dropped just because of the combat, I wanted to play till the end but that combat was too horrible for my taste, I'm sure others loved it but I guess I loved the turn based combat of previous games too much.
>>
>>338042409
>>338042539
>>338042540
I wasn't referring specifically to X-2, just the term 100% in general.

Fair enough if your game has a % counter. I'm just wondering how people define 100% for games without one. Achievements seem like a decent enough metric.
>>
>>338034129
You can learn that GFs fuck with memory from the very beginning of the game as soon as you get control of Squall. Not an asspull.
>>
>>338039742
you're an idiot
>>
>>338040329
V's job class system is the absolutely pinnacle of any Final Fantasy. It entirely makes up for its flimsy main story.
>>
>>338043002
I guess that depends on the person. I think beating every optional/secret boss and getting all the ultimate items counts as 100%.

>achievement
I wouldn't call it decent metric. Achievement tend force you to do gimmicky shit or unnecessary grinding.
>>
>>338043207
X-2 does it better.
>>
>>338042547
This. XIII's linearity isn't the problem, the problem is that the game is empty as fuck. There are hardly any important characters aside from the party, Barthandelus, Cid, Orphan and Serah (Cid and Serah are debatable), almost every area aside from Gran Pulse has nothing but enemies, treasure chests and save points/shops punctuated with cutscenes now and then and even on Pulse there isn't much else.
>>
>>338027307
this game is actually way more linear and opens up far later, percentage wise.
>>
>>338027307
Nope both are bad but X isn't as bad as XIII because the battle system in X isn't complete shite.
>>
File: image.jpg (186 KB, 1024x1447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186 KB, 1024x1447
>>338041460
I just counted the OST.

Uematsu alone did 34 tracks.
Nakano did 18.
Hamauzu did 20.
Uematsu and Nakano together did 2, and Uematsu and Hamauzu together did 14.

So overall, Uematsu was involved for the vast majority of the OST. Screencap this for any nay-sayers who claim Hamauzu did the entire OST.
>>
>>338027307
>/v/ is one person
i hate all the final fantasy games, throw em in the trash they're stupid
>>
>>338044831
nuh-uh, u stupid
>>
newfags grew up with it
disgusting
>>
>>338041797
>speedrunning
>>
>>338027307
I hate both. I liked the three NES Final Fantasy games, loved the three on the SNES, liked 7 and 9, and the rest can fuck off.
>>
File: Palace_Pic_1.png (198 KB, 514x386) Image search: [Google]
Palace_Pic_1.png
198 KB, 514x386
FF has been on a steady decline with every game they released after X.

It's sad to see it go, but I'm surprised they've held on this long. Especially with the fix being so simple.

Turn based combat.

If there was one complaint from the masses that love the series, it's the change in combat style. We're fine with junctioning, materia, AP/Equipment based, straight level based, gil based, and every other form of character growth, we just want our combat to be the core FF combat, with the little changes they do between all Final Fantasies.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.