[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the "classic" Tomb Raider games that good? Only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12
Are the "classic" Tomb Raider games that good? Only played II back in the day.

Classic TR thread.
>>
>>338015586
I was thinking about playing them recently. Would also like to know if they are still good.
>>
Never got past the mansion
>inb4 the mansion was an optional training level
My 4 year old spic self didn't know that.
>>
>>338015586

II > III = I > LR > Dogshit > Chronicles
>>
>>338015586
If you enjoy good 3D action/adventure platforming, pyramidal titties and trapezoidal asses and wont bitch and moan about the controls (which are perfectly fine) then yes they are fantastic games even today.
>>
File: 1445679223308.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1445679223308.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
hell yes

TR 1 is great
>>
>>338015687
They are good if you gauge your expectations accordingly.

They are tank control ps1 games. Given what they are they are excellent. Loaded with atmosphere and gameplay unlike anything else at the time.
>>
those game got shit controller and graphics looks like lego blocks. They suck ass
>>
>>338017039
>le tank controls meme XD
You do realize you can remap the controls to WASD? The game only has "tank controls" if you don't bother changing any of it's settings.
>>
>>338017249

are you actually retarded? The game has tank controls no matter how you set them

the very second you enter any kind of combat scenario you realize the tank controls hamper the gameplay
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (171 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
171 KB, 1200x900
>>338015586
>No expansion games shown
>The ones shown are console versions
>>
>>338017318
>http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TankControls
>Tank Controls: Controls in a video game (usually from the Fifth Generation) that don't allow you to turn and move forward at the same time, much like a tank or a tractor
This is blatantly false, you can move Lara forward and turn her at the same time. Now fuck off with that shitty ass tank controls meme.
>>
I think they're extremely good. They're actually immersive as hell despite the graphics due to the environments and music.

Challenging as fuck too... get ready to rage.
>>
>>338017459

> you can move Lara forward and turn her at the same time

no, you absolutely cant. One of two things will happen:

it ignores the turn command and moves forward

OR

she turns to face right or left

I know this because I did the T-rex fight over and over and over again trying to avoid taking damage from it by using your "non tank controls"
>>
They're pretty good thought the control scheme might feel alien to a modern gamer so be prepared for that
>>
>>338017598
Git gud faggot.
>>
>>338017747

ah yes, the classic "I dont have an argument so I tell them to git gud" response

I made it past the t-rex and much farther into the game. I even really like the game, but you're absolutely retarded if you deny it has tank controls
>>
Best damn 3d platformers ever made
>>
>>338015586
>Were classic TR games good back then?
yes

>Are classic TR games still good now?
no. they aged pretty bad, especially controls are awful and stiff.

new TR > old TR
just saying
>>
>>338017829
Honestly you get used to the controls. I had no problem with them and over time it felt fluid.

You're probably 18 and spoiled by shit games.
>>
>>338017459
>http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TankControls
You realize this link includes original Tomb Raider?
>>
>>338015928
2 > 4 > 5 > 1 = 3
>>
>>338018156
>5 ahead of 1 and 3
Nigga what are you doin
>>
>>338018426
5 was amazing. 1 and 3 was good but unmemorable
>>
>>338017598
HAVE YOU FUCKING EVEN PLAYED ANY OF THE FUCKING ORIGINALS FOR FUCKS SAKES
No really. Do you enjoy shitposting blatantly false information? Do you fucking get off on doing stupid shit like that?
>>338018040
Just goes to show how many people have actually played the fucking game. Seriously. You want to move forward and turn at the same time? You fucking press the forward and move lef/right buttons at the same time. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE YOU RETARDED MILLENIALS. Jesus christ, it's like when my friend played Tomb Raider 3 and was confused that you had to _hold down_ the action key to climb a ladder and not tap it. Lazy ass turds.
>>
>>338018473
Man I just didn't think 5 was memorable at all. It was so short too. I beat it in 5 hours my first playthrough.

1 will always have a place in my heart, and I can't get enough of the music or the levels from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1HbM9B7cU

3 was one of the weaker ones for sure, but I still liked it more than 5.

My personal rankings:
2 > 4 > 1 > 3 > 5
>>
>>338018040
Did you even read it? Of course why am I asking that, when it's obvious you haven't. Otherwise you'd know Tomb Raider is never even mentioned. Try harder next time faggot.
>>
>>338018798
The thing is though, was the Chronicles was basically made in under a year, after Eidos forced Core to make yet another Tomb Raider game right after they tried ending the series with Last Revelation. Plus it came with the level editor that's still used today (and someone even made an updated version that renders higher resolution graphics), and I'd say the short gameplay is justifiable. Think of Chronicles as a demo or test level for the level editor.
>>
how peculiar, after like 22 years i'm replaying the original

it hasn't aged a day, it's a fucking great game

can't wait to move to II, that one was bonkers (40 fathoms was a sweet pain in the ass)\

Is the remake of I good? i still have to play it but i wanted to hear some opinions

also does anyone remember The Lost Artifact? could never beat that fucker when i was a kid
>>
>>338018906
Under Action Adventure.
>>
File: 1433475769255.png (20 KB, 249x113) Image search: [Google]
1433475769255.png
20 KB, 249x113
>>338018562

oh damn you got me. Howd you guess

I dont think YOU've actually played it, because nothing Ive said has been made up
>>
File: Picture 1.jpg (84 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Picture 1.jpg
84 KB, 640x480
>>338019253
>Is the remake of I good?
It's not really a remake or reboot, it's like an alternate universe "Lara". It's decent, certainly not GOTY, but worth the few bucks that it's sold as right now. Fall of the Tomb Raider is a completely different story though.
>also does anyone remember The Lost Artifact?
Heck yeah. Didn't enjoy it as much as Unfinished Business or Tomb Raider 2 Gold though.
>>
File: 1462930941299.jpg (59 KB, 710x407) Image search: [Google]
1462930941299.jpg
59 KB, 710x407
>>338015586
>shit tank controls
>casual as fuck lockon auto aim where u just spend flipping backwards and sideways while holding the shoot button
>shit graphics
>story is almost non existant
>generic music

What do you think OP?
>>
Okay you guys have convinced me. Now the question is:
Do I play all of them or like stop at 3 or whats the deal?
>>
File: Picture 2.jpg (110 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Picture 2.jpg
110 KB, 640x480
>>338019365
>I don't think you've played!
Far more then you, going by the fact you have the Steam version. And the game doesn't have tank controls when you CAN move forward and to the sides at the same time. Of course you've only ever played 20 or so hours of ONE Tomb Raider game, so I'll give you a free pass this time for not being aware of it until now.
>>
>>338019063
Didn't know about the level editor, I'll have to check it out.

>>338019625
gr8 b8 m8

>>338019729
Play all of them, they're all good.
>>
>>338019625
(you)
>>338019790
>Level Editor
I'd download the NG+ version, that's the level editor updated to be able to handle higher resolution textures and meshes.
http://www.trlevelmanager.net/ng.htm
For TRLE resources, this site is a good resource:
http://www.trsearch.org/
And finally, if you want to play levels made with TRLE/TRLE NG, this site is must visit:
http://trle.net/
>>
I bought the first one last week to play on my PSTV.
I've never played a single Tomb Raider game before but I'm going to make my way through all of them until there's no more tombs and gymnastics.
>>
File: Jurassic World.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Jurassic World.webm
3 MB, 640x360
In terms of level design and atmosphere, 1 and 3 haven't aged a day.
Was too scared to play TR1 as a kid back in 1996. Finally finished it in 2009 and still got freaked out. It's a wonder Tomb Raider never got labelled as survival horror.
>>
File: larawidescreen.png (1004 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
larawidescreen.png
1004 KB, 1366x768
>>338022012
>That South Pacific bikini
Fucking gold, and it's a shame Lara will never wear something like that again.
>>
>>338015928
This guy. This guy right here. He gets it.

2 a best.
>>
Play Anniversary, it's an improved version of the original that even does quick time events right.
>>
File: Harmonica.gif (91 KB, 300x134) Image search: [Google]
Harmonica.gif
91 KB, 300x134
Yeah, I loved the tank controls in a fucking 3D platformer.
That shit killed Bubsy 3D, but Tomb Raider gets a pass because muh n-nostalgia?
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>338023461
>Improved version
>>338023570
(you)
>>
The old Tomb Raider games are great.
I'm a little biased because of nostalgia, but they have some cool as shit over-the-top levels.
Some puzzles/area layouts are a little obtuse, but it's generally all good.
Tomb Raider 4 is probably the best-designed, but it's relatively simple and grounded.
Tomb Raider 3 is the most over-the top, where they just throw everything at you.
It's best to play the games on PC because the controls just work better with a mechanical keyboard.
>>
File: Another Dark Souls webm.webm (3 MB, 680x382) Image search: [Google]
Another Dark Souls webm.webm
3 MB, 680x382
>>338023362
As somebody who just played 2 for the first time last year, it was... strange.
On the one hand, it's a huge engine improvement over the first thanks to the outdoor areas alone, and having NPCs actually join your cause (if you don't shoot them first) is still fun to watch.
On the other hand, the enemies suck and the story makes no sense. In TR1, Lara and Natla had a genuine reason to despise each other. In TR2, Lara and the main antagonist never once meet face-to-face and it's unclear why Lara is even chasing him in the first place.
Plus there are way too many human enemies, way too many underwater stages and for a lot of people the game ends at the speedboat puzzle on the second level.
TR2 both advanced the series and somehow aged the worst.
>>
>>338024552
Lara wants the dagger. He has the dagger. There's your plot. Not saying it's a good one, but it works fine and the story worked out well.

>Too many human enemies
When it's a huge organisation you're pursuing to steal from, there's gonna be a lot of human enemies. Personally I thought it was refreshing after constant animals on the first, minus the 3 guys and mutants. 2 had a nice mixture of both.

>Underwater stages
1/5th of the game was based on an offshore oil rig. Course there's gonna be underwater levels. I thought they were all fine, minus 40 Fathoms, which is pretty self explanatory. But let's face it, god tier tibetan foothills/barkhang monastery.

Plus, I hate to use this, but if someone didn't make it past the speedboat puzzle, they really need to git gud. It was simple even without the glitch.
>>
1-3 are great, 4 and 5 are good. Legend is also great. "Classic" is anything pre-2013, right? Because the PS2 games (besides AoD) and Underworld are all worth playing too.

>>338019746
>4 extra levels

What? Were these on the PS1 version or any other PC version?
>>
>>338015586
holy fuck they released a lot of Tomb Raider games on the PS1
>>
Legend trilogy > original trilogy > Von Croy trilogy > nuLara
>>
I played 1-4 a lot when I was younger and I still pop them in on occasion. I could have sworn that if you were running straight and held a side direction she leaned that way and changed direction gradually. Does that not happen?
>>
>>338026287
Pretty good taste right here.
>>
>>338026301
Yes it does. People are just being retarded.
>>
regardless of whether theyre tank controls by definition or not, theyre still undeniably kinda flimsy and hard to pick up for a first time player. good games though.
>>
That classic menu theme is still the best.
Also the jingle that plays when you find a secret.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.