[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /v/ like this game so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Phantasy_Star_Online.png (97 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy_Star_Online.png
97 KB, 250x247
Why does /v/ like this game so much?
>>
>>337995038
Because in 2001 it was the best online experience for consoles available and continued to be so for a long time
>>
>>337995038
people remember it fondly, and you can play it with other people easily on PC

now explain to me, why aren't you on Ephinea?
http://ephinea.pioneer2.net/
>>
It was the first game of its kind, and it's still plenty playable, though I enjoy the sequels more.

People still like Ultima Online, too, and IIRC that game never even went free to play.
>>
The most addictive game ever made. Complex enough to be engaging but simple enough to be relaxing. Just hop on and enjoy meeting new people without pressure.
>>
You missed the train when it came out. It was an amazing online experience for its time on consoles with tons of weapons, quests, events, etc. And the funny thing was, some people bought the game because SA2 demo(the game would be out in like 3 months).

And playing PSO with 3 friends sharing the adventure, items, mags is still fun.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fXDbyttP-k
The coolest ever
>>
>>337995193
Because I don't enjoy starting at level 1 while everyone else is max.
>>
>>337997145
That trailer, Holy shit I miss days like that.

Everything at the time was so much better.
>>
Making a FOmar on Ephinea now, any of you fags wanna play?
>>
>>337997537
Then party up with the other jerks from /v/ that just started
I'm level 17 already and I just started yesterday night
>>
>>337997537
http://ephinea.pioneer2.net/transfer-to-ephinea/
>>
>>337995038
A lot of love was poured into this game.

Soundtrack is amazing.
Gameplay has a nice sense of depth.
Scrolling through all your spell shortcuts and switching weapons mid-combat to suit the situation

Each boss fight is way way different from the other, save for a few exceptions.

weird extra shit like Section IDs and .beats that just seem like fun little add ons but actually affect gameplay.
all the little details like that all add up to make PSO incredibly unique.

It's a fantastic fucking game. None of it's successors have been able to quite capture the same magic.
For some odd reason they completely abandoned pretty much everything that made PSO, PSO when they made PSU.
It kept a sci-fi space theme and laser weapons and thats pretty much where the similarities end.

Then we got PSO2 which is pretty good but still conspicuously lacks a lot of the charm of the original.
>>
>>337998663
Later games took a more direct approach to storytelling. I frankly can't blame them, it's more accessible to normies, and PSO world becomes less fascinating as soon as you take a close look at any of the pieces of story that gives you more than some very vague hints at what's going on.
>>
>>337995038
understandable because it's a great game for it's time.
>it's gameplay considered as good back then
>few weird yet somewhat unique game gimmick
>memoriable boss fights
>full online experience for console game
>cross-region server play
>>
>>337995193

there is no way I am playing a vanilla force after years of tech boosting gear
>>
>>338003532
Doesn't vanilla have merges and tech-boosting weapons, too? Whatever shithack did, it was something else.
>>
>>338003709

merges for single techs, tech boosts are also far weaker across the board.
>>
>>338003709
>playing as a force
>not being a part of the master race
>not being a cast
shiggy diggy
>>
>>337998001
>FOmar

Haha, no.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.