[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Last of Us
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13
File: thelastofus.jpg (2 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
thelastofus.jpg
2 MB, 2880x1800
Did The Last of Us "push gaming forward"?

I tend to hear this or something similar a lot. Can /v/ explain?
>>
>>337993369
It pushed video game performances and animation forward.

Say what you will about the gameplay, but it Naught Dog is still top dog when it comes to those two areas in particular. It's a shame they can't put it in games where there's more to do than hide behind boxes though.
>>
File: narrative.png (27 KB, 1631x203) Image search: [Google]
narrative.png
27 KB, 1631x203
>>
I never heard anything like that. Citizen Kane meme came from some stupid journalist and was blown out of proportion.
It's a good game with fantastic multiplayer, nothing revolutionary but you're a faggot if you think it's a movie or shit like that.
>>
>kill enemy in stealth segment
>am only able to arbitrarily adjust the corpse by a few feet
>am not allowed to interact with it again afterward

Backwards.
>>
It pushes the expectations of the quality of third person shooters forward, maybe. There was no real innovation with TLOU. It's just a well made game.

TLOU is like Metal Gear Solid without the technology BUT with a story that wasn't written by stupid japs.

Now if only there were a game that had both.
>>
File: 1463369530238.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463369530238.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
File: The Western Hideo Kojima.jpg (137 KB, 926x743) Image search: [Google]
The Western Hideo Kojima.jpg
137 KB, 926x743
>>337993369
It set a standard for what video games can achieve through a narrative while still mixed with compelling gameplay. When people try to make games with superb animation and an engaging storyline they will turn to The Last of Us as the new pinnacle.
Pretty much the last generation's Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy 7
>>
File: 1368689759724.jpg (72 KB, 396x691) Image search: [Google]
1368689759724.jpg
72 KB, 396x691
>>337993614
I think this is probably what most people mean.

The animations and how they're performed/framed (in game too) are really good and help sell the world a lot. Naughty Dog are arguably the best at this.

Not to say that I didn't have my fair share of annoyances with it.
>insultingly simple "puzzles"
>disagre with Joel's Choice at the end
>dont want to kill the doctor
>Game literally makes you shoot him or you cant progress
>shoot him in the leg
>immediately dies

>No interplay between regular human bad guys and infected
>like 3 enemy types
>left behind's DLC felt like it was pandering to tumblarinas a bit
>>
File: Thank you Druckmann.gif (4 MB, 639x354) Image search: [Google]
Thank you Druckmann.gif
4 MB, 639x354
Diversity
>>
it's one of the worst games i've ever played in my entire life. everyone involved in that game should be imprisoned.
>>
>>337994705
>or Final Fantasy 7

The fuck did FF7 actually do? Like uniquely besides use some 3D modeling?
>>
It didn't innovate anything. So no.
>>
File: This is not a holograph.jpg (122 KB, 638x446) Image search: [Google]
This is not a holograph.jpg
122 KB, 638x446
>>337995076
For it's time its story was considered groundbreaking
>>
>>337994705
>compelling gameplay
>come to obvious door that's obviously going to close behind me with an obvious enemy arena ahead
>"You have to go through alone"
>go through
>enemies that weren't there before are now there.
>>
Uh I remember pushing some boxes around.
>>
File: The Last of Us.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
The Last of Us.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic_p-GSVR18
>>
>>337995076
Big fuckass epic across 3 discs, for one
The FMV cutscenes and story was great for the "cinematic" fags
>>
>>337993691
I agree wholeheartedly with this screencap
>>
>>337993369
I'm not sure that it really did anything new, it just did what it did really well. It's just a raising the bar sort of thing.

Ideally I guess years from now people will look back and not see anything special about it, because games with it's level of craftsmanship will just be the norm.
>>
>>337993369
It's a mediocre stealth/TPS game that was hyped as GOAT even before it was released. The only things it exceled at were graphics and marketing.
>>
>>337993369
I just beat this around 2 hours ago.

Anybody who thinks it pushed gaming forward is a retard.

The only thing I feel it did better than other games by a large margin was facial recognition and the general mo-cap and acting.

Everything else is done better in another game. Also the stealth segments with 18 clickers were extremely boring.

Honestly it was a decent game but I don't understand where all the praise came from. Playing TEW with a fov fix offered an experience far better than this from a gameplay perspective and it's story isn't that amazing, it has pacing issues and is just pretty good.
>>
>>337993369
No, it didn't. The best it managed was imitating another medium of entertainment. It didn't find new ways to take advantage of it's own medium.
>>
File: David.png (450 KB, 406x594) Image search: [Google]
David.png
450 KB, 406x594
He did nothing wrong
>>
Thoughts on American Dreams?
>>
>>337994705
lmao its just uncharted with zombies... I like it don't get me wrong but I good try bud
>>
File: the-last-of-us-movie-700x300.jpg (46 KB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
the-last-of-us-movie-700x300.jpg
46 KB, 700x300
So will the upcoming movie leave development hell and finally ascend to vidyakino?
>>
>>337996261
>cannibal
>nothing wrong
>>
>>337996374
Do they actually fugg?
>>
>>337996193

>medium

When is this going to stop. There is absolutely nothing special, unique, or even good about video games as a medium for storytelling.
>>
>>337996984

Was pretty sure even when they announced that flick that it was just damage control to distract from the whole fiasco with Amy Hennig. That shit was never seriously getting made.
>>
>>337997202
It takes place before Left Behind
>>
>its 20 years after the apocalypse and humanity is struggling and its a deep metaphor for inner demons and zzzzzzzzzzzzz
fuck off failed movie producer just let me play as the marines and keep your melodramatic shit to art films
>>
File: 1453500173286.gif (1 MB, 280x189) Image search: [Google]
1453500173286.gif
1 MB, 280x189
>>337997401
Dropped
>>
>>337997253
Did you read my post? I specified "medium of entertainment". I didn't say anything about storytelling.
>>
>>337994829
>disagree with joels choice
it fits his character he was arguably a selfish ass hole who was willing to do anything to survive or get ahead, i mean the guards you kill at the start of the game are kids who have been drafted that are just doing there job.
>>
>>337998245
It still burrled the lines between story and player input in a bad way. I still wanted to progress, I get that's what joe would have done, but would he really gun down a defenseless doctor? You cant push him out of the way or anything you have to shoot him for some reason.

That's why I shot him in the leg (and got the dumb "he's dead" ragdoll animation). Destroyed my immersion and ND should have accounted for it.
>>
>>337993369
naughty dog for the straight(good, christian). Please buy it!!
>>
>>337997953
You compared it to a primarily storytelling medium. If you're going to say your comment was strictly limited to cinematography or special effects or some such then okay, but seems to me storytelling is the more obvious assumption, whether it be the narrative, acting, framing or whatever.
>>
>>337998630
Funny enough the only Christian in The Last of Us is a cannibalistic pedophile
>>
>>337998501
>but would he really gun down a defenseless doctor?

I've never really understood what the actual issue is with this. It seems like a lousy attempt at recreating mgs3 that doesn't really work, but aside from that why are people do distraught about that doctor, Joel's killed so many people who cares. The fact that it doesn't work just makes it even less compelling of an issue.
>>
>Piece of shit
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>337998501
I shot them all, was great.

I was really angry at that part because the guy hit me with the rifle. I don't know why it triggered me, but I didn't even care about Ellie. The second that happened I decided to kill every person in the building.
>>
>>337993369
You know that pretentious crowd that couldn't care less about top-tier gameplay. But instead address when games try to emulate film?

TLOU was that crowds Resident Evil 4.
>>
>>338000479
That was meant to be 'adores' not 'address'. My phone has shit auto-correct.
>>
>>337997253
Vidya does have unique ways of telling stories, because it can take the player out of a spectator role, and instead allow them power in telling the story.

Many good examples exist.
>The Suicide Mission in Mass Effect 2.
>The Sorrow in Metal Gear Solid 3.
>The duel with The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3.
>Journey is good at this.
>Any game made by Sid Meyer or Will Wright is good at this.
>Multiplayer games are good at this.

The Last of Us is not good at this. You are dictated your story like you would in any other medium. Video Games don't mean anything unless the interactivity is taken advantage of.
>>
I hated how it would chop and change the rules and reasoning behind various limitations constantly between 'FOR REALISM' and 'FOR VIDEOGAEMS'

So for realisms sake I can only carry a handful of bullets but for videogaems sake I am forced to indulge in this transparently gimmicky shiv system?

Hell with the ammo system it's both at once

>realism = very limited ammo supply
>VIDYAGAMS = I can still carry an entire arsenal in my backpack including a flamethrower bigger than it.
>>
Fuck Joel
Fuck the Fireflies
>>
>>337993740
Citizen Kane was made famous for how cinematic techniques could enhance storytelling in a way not possible through other mediums. Thus, any time a video game provides an example of interactivity enhancing narrative it gets the label.

It's why Undertale gets the most comparisons as of late, with its distinct methods of story reacting to player choice among other things.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.