[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how big is the probability we get a quake1 vibe reboot. seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: quake1_001_l.jpg (109 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
quake1_001_l.jpg
109 KB, 1024x768
how big is the probability we get a quake1 vibe reboot.

seriously i still love the atmosphere of this up until today.

together with the NIN soundtrack its probably one of the most unique shooter experiences ever made.
>>
I hope they don't fuck up with the Lovecraft theme.
>>
>>337965961
They'll probably use the Strogg again
>>
>>337966354
Why does everything has to be sci fi? is it because of sales?
>>
>capeshit crowd moved to video games in their downtime and now its all about reboots and remakes

fuck
>>
Those knights in Doom 4 had a strong Quake-vibe to them. I wonder if we're getting a cross-over in the DLC/sequel.
>>
>>337966659
An ID soft crossover would be cool but we all know it would'nt happen unless it had TES and FallOut in it since ID is Beth's bitch, also, i'm not sure if we could even get cool gameplay elements like great level design or cool weapon/enimie diversity
>>
>>337966537
Well sci-fi probably takes less effort and creativity.

Though I wouldn't mind another Quake 2 if it's done like DOOM 2016.
>>
>>337965398
I was late to the shooter scene and was always an Unreal fag. Did I miss out on this shit?
>>
>>337967119
All i know is that Quake 's SP is faster than Quake 2.
>>
>>337967119
Good level design but shit game in general. There are better fps to play.
>>
>>337967119
quake1 is all about atmosphere.

its the kafka of shooters
>>
>>337966970
How about deepest lore:

Quake and Quake 2 both occur in the same universe. Quake happens first, then the Strogg discover the portal technology to send their forces to earth. It's evident by the same Strogg logos on the crates in Quake.
>>
>>337968291
But there's nothing funny about Quake
>>
>>337967119
Return to Napali, fag.
>>
File: 0qp2trvn.jpg (46 KB, 487x562) Image search: [Google]
0qp2trvn.jpg
46 KB, 487x562
>>337968735
>>
>>337969519
He probably meant UT, since 90% of UT players don't even know Unreal exists.
>>
>>337969898
I started Unreal with UT2k3. I went back and played them all over time. I was just using Unreal as a catch all title.

... I miss going to lan parties.
>>
>>337970860
>I miss going to lan parties
We all do
>>
>>337967119
you should definitely play it, it has its flaws like bossfights and the nonexistent story, but the level design,weapons, enemies, atmosphere and soundtrack are all great
>>
>>337972461
>the nonexistent story,
>a flaw
It has a basic plot and that's all it needed.
>>
>>337965398
How big is the probability?
100%
Bethesda now have the confidence to reboot everything in id's catalogue, believing they can get away with usurping established classics' names.
Bethesda (id) cannot into atmosphere, as not shit as Doom 2016s gameplay was, its atmosphere was pretty non-existent, just seemed like a bunch of design school graduates fighting over getting their visual ideas in game with every special snowflake getting their way. It doesn't gel, so a Quake with an oppressive eldritch vibe is out of the question.
>>
>>337972461
>soundtrack

Its just NIN ambient album
>>
>>337965398
A slower, horror-themed Quake reboot could be pretty fantastic. Like a gothic Dead Space or a non-shitty Doom 3.

Unfortunately most of the vocal purists are the sort who consider Quake to be the ULTRA H4DC0R3 SPEED RUN OLD SCHOOL ARENA SHOOTER MAYHEM DEATHMATCH XTRAVAGANZA that neo-adopters have run with, rather than what the game really was all about at launch.
>>
File: 1459734828975.jpg (19 KB, 320x241) Image search: [Google]
1459734828975.jpg
19 KB, 320x241
>>337968093
>shit game in general
>>
>>337974296
It's not Mr. Reznor's best, but it is pretty good and fits the game nearly perfectly.
Most older shooter fans thought the game was released without a soundtrack, because the pirated versions didn't have it, neither did the demo.
Younger players are never going to experience such a revolution in games, the move from sprites to full 3D polygon graphics was a huge leap. Descent existed as well.
The equivalent will be from fragment shaded polygons to tactile VR using phyxel nanomachines or something. So never.
>>
Darkplaces + Rygel's and Reforged is prolly the best we're gonna get.
>>
Did i miss some Quake announcement?
>>
>>337968093
Just a question, but what is a better FPS than Quake?
>>
>>337975327
No, but Doom was less shitty than people were expecting so the oldfags are getting their hopes up.
>>
>>337975864
Yeah well...Denuvo
>>
>>337965398
I'd prefer Quake 1 but I'd take Quake 2, I've always liked both games
>>
File: XCi1Xs2.png (32 KB, 684x197) Image search: [Google]
XCi1Xs2.png
32 KB, 684x197
>>337965398
Quake 1 and 2 are believed to be somewhat connected due to Strogg crates in Quake 1 meaning the Strogg were helping the Quake forces or Quake had taken supplies from the Strogg.

Maybe they could have both the Monsters of Quake remade with the Strogg alongside them. Make it a reboot of the original but a secret sequel to Quake 4.

Basically, Kane's new mission is investigating a region of space where strange things have been happening and where contact was lost with the Marines and Scientists there. The Strogg have also arrived as they have detected the anomalies too (also need resources due to Stroggos being taken by space marines from Earth and are in a dire state).

You find the original Ranger from Quake 1 who has traveled throughout time and space with the slipgates and warns you of the danger that the war between humanity and the Strogg was started by the inhabitants of Quake and Cthulhu in particular so to weaken them both and allow a easy victory over both forces and warp normal space into a nightmare realm (Operation Counterstrike was covered up). Shub-Niggurath was only a Quake commander and not the biggest threat.

You would also discover that the Strogg were humanity from a past age who discovered the realms of Quake many millennial ago. Almost overcome by the evil, the Strogg took the drastic step and dedicated every thing in their society to war and cybernetically modified themselves to prepare for the coming conflict with the realm of Quake. This sacrifice also included other races of the galaxy (explaining Quake Wars and the invasion of Earth) and so if flesh alone could not stand against Quake, then steel would be needed too making the Strogg more than human but also much less. However, the Strogg are weakened and now humanity must stand up to the threat.

Multiplayer would be like the original with modding included and as a bonus, the original Team Fortress (or some other famous mod back then). This is what I would like to see.
>>
>>337975415
Just to name a few:
Doom
Blood
Painkiller
Serious Sam
Halo

Quake 1 campaign is boring, its the same thing from start to finish.
And the shotgun sucks.
>>
>>337974568
As a long time Doom AND Quake fan, I'm pretty much on board with this.
I mean, they're 2/2 with their reboots in my books.
I thought both the new Wolfenstein games were great, and I'm enjoying Doom despite a couple of nagging flaws (corpses disappearing is a huge pet peeve of mine; there being almost no enemies in between the set-piece arena sequences is a bigger deal to me though).

I think a reboot of Quake that focuses more on the weird, unknowable eldritch/alien/gothic sci-fi aspect would make WAY more sense, since Doom is now handling the "ultra fast old school arena shooter" job adequately.

Quake 2's speed/gameplay with Quake 1's theme seems like a good mix.

Although to be totally honest, I'm also with this man here
>>337976089
>>
>>337965961
I wish they went with the Lovecraftian fantasy theme from the original Quake but you know they're just gonna do Strogg shit again.
>>
File: 1436157279093.png (72 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
1436157279093.png
72 KB, 230x230
>>337976680
>Painkiller
>Serious Sam
>Halo
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.