[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can this cancer be stopped?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12
File: cancer.png (85 KB, 384x142) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
85 KB, 384x142
How can this cancer be stopped?
>>
Have you considered the fact that this cancer is helping you and me out?
Tons of morons are beta-testing games for free, not only that, but tons of morons are PAYING money to beta-test. This is a win for a developer and a win for whichever consumer doesn't fall for this scam and buys a game when it's finished.
>>
>>337965391
Just stop buying/crowdfunding them or mentioning them at all. If everyone were to do their part then they could be almost nonexistent in a year
>>
>>337965782
You end up paying more for it, idiot. Also, the devs tend to respect my opinion more, and I contribute to actually making the game.
I get respect - you're jusr a carpetbagging cunt.
I get to experience the game in its prime while you get it in its shitty casul state.
>>
I don't know if it is cancer, per say. I've seen a lot of shit games that have stayed in early access hell forever, but I also spent a lot of time play testing Tempest and the new Descent remake, and it was nice seeing a developer reply to somebody who has a vested interest in the game they're making.

I don't really want it to stop, for the good it can do. Otherwise people like yourself who don't like the idea can just wait until a full release
>>
>>337965391
Force early access and pre-alpha builds to be free to the public so devs stop making money from unfinished products, and force them to finish a good game, or drop the project.
That would take care of most of it, I think.
>>
File: fedora.png (92 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
92 KB, 400x400
>Crowdfunding is bad meme
I guess I forgot about this because every game I've really enjoyed play in the past couple years has been crowdfunded :^)
>>
File: buildwall.png (292 KB, 599x807) Image search: [Google]
buildwall.png
292 KB, 599x807
>>337966128
>I don't understand game development
You do realize that the reason these games go early access is because they don't have funding

If you're shitting on Kickstarter but also shitting on the game publishers for not taking risks, you're an idiot and you deserve nothing but the same shit for another 7 years like we did from 2005-2012
>>
>>337965981
I know you're joking, but there are people that actually think like this.
Good for them, paying to beta-test games.
>>
>>337966128
This 2bh. It would cut down the number of shitty projects because devs would need more than some cool screenshots or ideas if they wanted people to actually buy the finished project. I doubt that valve would ever want this though because they probably make a ton from shit like mighty number 9 pre-purchases
>>
Would it be better to think of early-access like a pre-order with a demo? A lot of points in this thread revolve around play testing and feedback, which is a huge indication of whether or not a game is worth buying early. Developers that listen and discuss with players are worth supporting.

That's at least how I weed out games in early access. Its fun contributing the a games development
>>
>>337966291
This isn't even crowd-funding related, you stupid faggot. It's about early access.
>>
>>337965391
Stop buying it.

Unfortunately, you can't stop other people from buying it, so there's not much you can do.
>>
>>337966721
You're doing it for free. No, you're paying to do it, which is even funnier.
Q.A. is supposed to be a job.
>>
>>337966891
>>337965391

What exactly are your problems with early access?
>>
>>337966128
you're an asshole, we shouldn't "force" them to anything. the consumer and the dev make a voluntary transaction, it's not your or anyone else's right to tell them that's wrong / illegal.
>>
>>337965391
Does it really matter though? Let the normies fund them and then enjoy the 5% or so that are actually good once they get released officially
>>
>>337966989

Fair enough, I suppose you could look at it like that. I prefer to think of it as paying less to have an influence on a final product you're interested in
>>
>>337966989
>Q.A. is supposed to be a job.
says who
>>
>>337967005
Not him, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it, IF

IF
IF
IF
IF

it's free
>>
File: kid.png (74 KB, 196x201) Image search: [Google]
kid.png
74 KB, 196x201
>>337965391
Developers do this to curb backlash from demanding customers. They're very afraid of being yelled at for shipping something incomplete, so many now finish what they think needs to be done before sending it out to the testing waters of Early Access.

This is done to find any issues the community may have and address them while still building hype for the game. If we were less critical, this would not exist.

(I am not suggesting you should be less critical)
>>
>>337967180
Said the market before people started paying to do it
>>
>>337967164
You never actually pay less, though. Minecraft was the only time that was actually true. If it was true that you paid less to play an Early Access game, it'd make much more sense.
>>
>>337967228
the market found a more efficient and mutually beneficial way to handle it.

t. adam smith
>>
File: Babby.jpg (53 KB, 521x521) Image search: [Google]
Babby.jpg
53 KB, 521x521
>>337967414
>mutually beneficial
>>
>>337965391
>pre-alpha
alpha literally means "development stage"

I hate niggers that write "pre-alpha". Fucking niggers.
>>
>>337965391
By being more patient...? Really it's not that difficult. It's all just about waiting a little longer without putting pressure on the developers (or at least when it's not needed) in order to pay for and play a game which is actually finished. Seeing all these people literally dying to get in pre-alfa or closed beta just because they don't want to keep their cock in their pants. It's stupid. Stupid and immature.
If it's to help the developers with bugfixing and other technical matters though, it's a completely different story then.
>>
>>337967406
It would but it's been proven by the market that it just doesn't work like that. You can't have a game go for 5 bucks as Early Access and then say VERSION 1.0 and price it at 10 or 15 bucks and expect a rise in sales. The markets are too inter-twined. There's never a big jump.
Devs are forced to keep the price if they want a chance at selling their game. Hell, often times they discount it when it's about to go 1.0
>>
File: kickstarter logo.png (31 KB, 800x765) Image search: [Google]
kickstarter logo.png
31 KB, 800x765
>>337966989
You can't be against publishers and crowdfunding you fucking retards. It's one or the other, and to be honest, I'm having a much higher success rate out of these crowdfunded games than I am with AAA games.
>>
>>337965391
daily reminder:

PC gaming spawned this cancer
>>
File: v.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
v.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>337966794
What do you think early access is? It's crowdfunding with a purchasable build as soon as you click the buy button, unlike a Kickstarter which is "fund us until we get an alpha/beta build".
>>
>>337967741
This "cancer" spawned
>Insurgency
>Chivalry Medieval Warfare
>Pillars of Eternity
>Divinity Original Sin
>Divinity Original Sin 2
>Bard's Tale 4
>Torment
>Shards Online
>Project Gorgon
>Star Citizen
>Kingdom Come Deliverance
>The Repopulation
>Elite Dangerous
>Xenonauts
>Melee Battlegrounds
>>
File: a true patriot.jpg (16 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
a true patriot.jpg
16 KB, 480x480
>>337967929
You forgot Wasteland 2, Organ Trail, Banner Saga, Banner Saga 2, FTL, Shovel Knight, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Gloria Victis, Pantheon and Identity.
>>
>>337967770
Wasn't there an MMO Warhammer 40k game that is in early access despite that it was funded before development? Eternal Crusade I think it's called.
>>
>>337967929
I keep trying to forget about Kingdom Come Deliverance. Only thing I've ever supported on kickstarter and I'm impatient for it to be real... Ironically, I don't actually have any interest in helping out by testing the alpha builds I have access to.
I'm a monster.
>>
>>337965391
By not giving it money.

If you're willing to give them money for a product that's not even finished, why would they ever finish it?
>>
>>337965391
>pre-alpha

When will this marketing meme die? It's a massive lie that fails to fool anyone with even the slightest insight into the industry.

I still get triggered by when Ubisoft first showed off the "pre-alpha footage" of AC Unity a couple of years ago with fully-completed environments, textures, and polished animations.
>>
>>337966520
>You do realize that the reason these games go early access is because they don't have funding
Then they should get funding. If they can't, why would they get free money in exchange for nothing?
>>
>>337968479
They're not providing nothing, they're providing early access to the title which is incomplete

>They should get funding
So they can have someone else telling them "make your isometric RPG more like Skyrim", same shit, different person saying it. Instead of a publisher CEO telling you what to do, you have a venture capitalist looking at numbers of other games within your genre telling you what should/needs to be done or they'll sue/pull funding

Great idea anon.
>>
>>337968651
>Instead of a publisher CEO telling you what to do, you have a venture capitalist looking at numbers of other games within your genre telling you what should/needs to be done or they'll sue/pull funding

And in the Early Access/Kickstarter model, you have NO ONE telling you what to do with the game except your own GREED because you still want to swindle the original backers/EA buyers and sell it to the retards when it's finished.

End result is the same except now you've also swindled people who wanted a good game who otherwise wouldn't touch your shit with a 10 foot joystick.
>>
>>337968479
The new generation of kids doesn't know about demos and shareware. They will pay for anything because that's what they grow up with now, just like when there was a huge shitstorm 10 years when they introduced dlc in oblivion with some horse amor and now every big game offers it
>>
File: star citizen.png (2 MB, 1701x952) Image search: [Google]
star citizen.png
2 MB, 1701x952
>>337968898
That's why you should be an informed consumer, look at their build, look at their employees/company. Are they reliable? Is what they have impressive? Is it worth the asking price? How far along are they? Are they updating their game consistently?

This is why I have yet to be burned on crowdfunded games despite backing 25 of them.
>>
>>337967929
Only 2 games on that list are actually good, finished, polished games.

Insurgency and D:OS.
>>
File: 1461057534490.png (646 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
1461057534490.png
646 KB, 800x900
>>337969275
This. Am I supposed to be assblasted over the fact that underage faggots lose their parent's money on shitty survival games that looked shady as fuck from the start?

I'm getting good games out of it.

>>337969564
>opinions
>>
File: 05521891[1].jpg (146 KB, 1256x1600) Image search: [Google]
05521891[1].jpg
146 KB, 1256x1600
>>337969003
So the real question is how to prevent first world retards from having massive amounts of disposable income.
>>
>>337969671
Good is an opinion; finished and polished are objective.
>>
>>337969728
This.
I applaud any developer using Kikestarter to scam these idiots with their snake oil. Takes money out of the industry for dogshit like Five Nights at Freddies and let's play patreons
>>
as long as it's free it's great. the unreal tournament pre-alpha is the best thing that happened to pc gaming since 144hz monitors
>>
File: 1460554102606.jpg (471 KB, 1292x1292) Image search: [Google]
1460554102606.jpg
471 KB, 1292x1292
>>337970224
And Epic was able to fund UT4 pre-alpha because they take 5% out of every Unreal Engine game in existence, and they have those AAA games that sell millions of copies to normie dudebros

How is anyone else supposed to do that?
>>
>>337965782
>beta test

yeah and those companies aren't going to fix anything seeing as the beta you are playing is probably a finished version that is what you are going to be buying. same with pre alpha shit.

the only shit they will fix is usually massively gamebreaking. you think they are going to listen to people for shit like overwatch? they will "listen" to the ideas, but not do anything about it.
>>
>>337965782
>not pre-ordering on amazon for the beta code and cancelling if you don't like it
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.