[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Half Life 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: half-life 2.jpg (25 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
half-life 2.jpg
25 KB, 460x215
I just finished pic related and I don't really understand all the hype surrounding this franchise. I mean it's good but not amazing. I suppose it would've been groundbreaking for the time but it's kinda so so nowadays.

I wouldn't mind seeing a HL3.

What do you think?
>>
It's not great really the sound effects are terrible, the guns feel terrible and the environments are bland. Valve essentially dont know how to make games. They've made about 3 good games in their entire 20 year history and two of those were ideas stolen from other people
>>
Have you played any games from the same timeframe?
>>
>>337940502
>I suppose it would've been groundbreaking for the time but it's kinda so so nowadays.

no shit, you don't say?
>>
>>337940904

> Millenials - the Post
>>
>>337940502
Well when I first played this on Orange Box it was cool to me because of the interesting sci fi world and story plus pretty good FPS controls to boot the campaign feels like an adventure and not seperate levels to complete
>>
>>337940904
The environments are 10/10 all the way through. I have no idea what you're saying. Half Life 2 is my favourite game, but I didn't play it until the Orange Box.
>>
>>337941476
This
>>337941197
And this
>>
>>337940502

How do you feel about Portal / 2?

Coz that's exactly what we "OG" felt with HL1 / 2

> inb4 he's too young even for Portal
>>
>>337940502
You must have been there. Back then. The physics and gravity gun blew everyone's mind.

Have you played the original Half-Life?
>>
>>337942670
Damn nig OG as fuck.

I appreciate HL2 but it hasn't aged well.

I think Portal and Portal 2 will age better as they're not just a generic FPS.
>>
>>337942936
Yeah I played it a few years ago but I got bored about 3 hours in or something. Plus there was a bug which caused the game to crash unless you were holding your crowbar at certain points.
>>
You're "supposed" to like it. If not you're just "young" or "casual" or whatever. Hence you get drones like>>337942557 that just praise it because others say it's revolutionary.

It's like the beatles or the godfather of games, decent and groundbreaking at the time but has been surpassed long since then.
>>
>>337943073
>got bored

I guess you're also unable to appreciate or even sit through a movie pre 1990.
>>
>>337943316
>decent and groundbreaking
Contradictions. Fun stuff. Eventually the young ones will learn.
>>
>>337940904
obvious bait is obvious
The environments are interesting, but the color palette is bland. The same could be said for dark souls. The sound effects are dated, but the gunplay feels fast and fun while at the same time requiring you to be smart and resourceful.
>>
>>337943316
You're just as bad refusing to like something because everyone else does and calling those who genuinely enjoy it drones
>>
File: luffypick.gif (144 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
luffypick.gif
144 KB, 245x245
>>337943318
Sorry I don't find the same corridor killing the same generic zombies/soldiers for 3 hours interesting.

At least Half Life 2 has physics and the gravity gun to spice it up.
>>
>I don't really understand all the hype surrounding this franchise
>it would've been groundbreaking for the time

There's the answer to your question.
>>
>>337940904
this.
Guns feel weak as fuck and enviroments are shit
>>
>>337943842
Gotta agree with that.

Bar the shotgun. I love the fucking shotgun.
>>
Here' some history.

Valve was never about the best looking graphics / game engine or the edgiest of story.

It was at some point several times the peak of innovation in game design.

The Source engine was never meant to be best looking, it was the opposite to that, Source was probably the most optimized engine ever made.

Yes, HL2 looked very good then.
It was the first of few that introduced life-like facial featuresand skin textures.

All while still being an optimized game, on a good engine that runs well.

And just like Doom on it's time, Half Life 1 was the pinnacle of action shooter, with engaging story and mechanics.

Sure, we've got RPG shooter like System Shock and Deus Ex.

But Half Life was a 'dynamic' action FPS.
It's got some good A.I.

The whole "chased by attack choppers, semi-futuristic troops, cyborg ninja chicks, jumpscare ayylmaos, and eastly creatures.

Getting teleported around, anti-gravity space jumping, exploring a hostile planet with huge-ass ayylium creatures.

There was nothing like it, in terms of action and thrills.

Of course you cucks don't feel the same.

You've got FUCKING CoD, Halo, Far Cry, Crysis, Metro and shit like that these days.

You know the one thing all those devs shared?

They've all played Half Life, Quake, Doom etc on their times.
>>
>>337943316
seinfeld is not funny
>>
>>337942960

And yet the generic FPS "gaymer" would still shit on it saying "WTF is this? Ain't got no time for puzzles" and go back to CoD, Overwatch whatever.
>>
I finally got to play Episode 2 like a week ago. The last mission is some of the most fun I had playing a video game in years
>>
>>337944108

> how i met your mother
> big bang theory
> 2 & a half men

are hilarious,right?
>>
>>337944471
I've never seen a single episode of any of those shows actually
seinfeld is 10/10
i was refering to a trope
>>
>>337945958

> trope

meme for tumblrs
>>
>>337946138
never been to tumblr :^))))))))))
>>
>>337940502
>I suppose it would've been groundbreaking for the time

I think you made a thread stating the bloody obvious. Well done.
>>
>>337944225
I literally just implied the puzzles were the only non-generic shit about it.
>>
>>337943427
Decent today, groundbreaking then. Pretending its still as amazing as it was day one is top tier fedora tipping. Yes, I played it the year it came out. No, it does not hold up in terms of fun.
>>337943656
See above.
>>
>>337940904
Finally someone else agrees.
>>
You don't understand because you should have played the game 10 years ago.

You should send email to that "teens react" show and I'll sure they would hire you.
>>
>>337940502
Yes young one, the game is now 12 years old and surprise, is not all that impressive by modern standards.
>>
they need to make a gaming trope that describe this effect for half life

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny
>>
File: 1445139808643.jpg (69 KB, 562x530) Image search: [Google]
1445139808643.jpg
69 KB, 562x530
>>337947520
>I've played it for 12 years and can no longer find it fun
>therefore it can't be fun to anyone else
>>
Yo I just played Pong and I don't get what all the fuzz is about, it doesn't even have fucking colors wtf is this overrated shit?
>>
>>337943318
Not true. Watched the original Star Wars movies from the 1980s and they were pretty fun if you could look past the weird special effects and funny looking actors.
>>
>>337947895
That's not what I said.
>>
File: 1448144885491.jpg (35 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
1448144885491.jpg
35 KB, 398x500
>>337940502
Agreed with the OP.

It's solid game. A good one. 8/10 but it's not some masterpiece that should be prised.

But from the story perspective...

YES. IT. NEED. A. SEQUEL.

Because fucking Valve basically raped this game with THAT kind of idiotic ending. (and lack of continuation)
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.