[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>LOL WE KILLED BATMAN'S OLD GIRLFRIEND I BET YOU CARE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: talia arkham city.jpg (81 KB, 496x606) Image search: [Google]
talia arkham city.jpg
81 KB, 496x606
>LOL WE KILLED BATMAN'S OLD GIRLFRIEND I BET YOU CARE A LOT!

Uh, no, I don't. Batman and Talia barely had any chemistry or screen time together

Why are video game writers so bad at making you care about characters?
>>
She had a great ass though
>>
>Why are video game writers so bad at making you care about characters?

Video game writers are failed movie/TV writers
>>
>>337929059
GOD, this.
>>
>>337929505
How true is this?
>>
Arkham City had a totally shit story anyway. Take away the big tweest ending and I doubt anyone could tell you want it was about.
>>
>>337928964
It just leans on players knowing comic book content because they're lazy writers.
>>
>>337928964
You're not supposed to care about her, but Batman/Bruce and how it affects him.

This is especially true in Arkham Knight.
>>
>>337928964
The problem is the games are written for fans of the cartoons and comics. A lot of references completely go over some peoples heads because they have no fucking idea what's going on.
>>
>>337928964
Because it's a game, not a movie or a comic book. It's not 100% about the story so they cut corners.
>>
>>337928964
>batman game made by fans for fans
>surprised at the devs not explaining everything or fleshing everything out

They had a part from the Killing Joke in AK, possibly the most popular Batman comic, yet how many do you think got that reference?
>>
>>337929587
Remember Kojima?
>>
>>337928964
Batman and Talia have never had chemistry. That's why morrison made her a stalker
>>
>>337928964
>video game writers

you mean narrative designers anon, get with the times.
>>
Did Bane ever break Batman's back in the Arkhamverse? Aside from that one game over screen in Asylum?

>inb4 /tv/ memes
>>
>>337930047
Kojima never entered film, he went straight to game development

You people drone on about how Kojima's a failed director, but he spent his entire career in video games
>>
>>337930057
Do I need to read Morrison's run to get into Snyder's run?
>>
>>337930057

Then made them have a snot-nosed brat of a kid who can't get retconned fast enough.
>>
>>337928964
I have no fucking clue why the Arkham games are praised for their writing at all. They just assume you have knowledge on all of Batman's enemies. The Clayface reveal was neat, but it means nothing to Joe Blow sitting next me.

Remember that horrible fucking scene where Batman talks about finding a cure, mentions Ra's Al Ghul, and then the ninja who was chilling in the glass bursts out and says "YOU'LL NEVER FIND RA'S BTW HE JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE HERE RIGHT NOW"

Gutter trash.
>>
>>337930552
>Remember that horrible fucking scene where Batman talks about finding a cure, mentions Ra's Al Ghul, and then the ninja who was chilling in the glass bursts out and says "YOU'LL NEVER FIND RA'S BTW HE JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE HERE RIGHT NOW"

To be fair I consider that foreshadowing cause you can see her before that cutscene
>>
>>337929801
>>337929801
>>337929801
this
>>
>>337929801
>>337929729
>Writers don't bother explaining dick because they wrote it for fans
>Still gets praised as having a good story by casuals
People are vapid and now I'm depressed over a Batman game.
>>
>>337930369
byeah
>>
>>337930821
Arkham Asylum was just as poorly written

>Jim Gordon after escaping the island the first time is somehow recaptured and brought back with no explanation like Gordon trying to sneak back in. Joker just has him for some reason.
>Joker turns into the tyrant from Resident Evil just because games need a big dumb boss fight
>>
>>337930715
Not exactly foreshadowing when it isn't a plot element until specifically brought up by Batman. You have to mention the gun on the mantle and why it's there before it goes off, you know?
>>
>>337931027
I get you. It would probably be better if you see the ninja when you come into Penguin's museum, then find the case is empty as you leave and use that as a natural jumping off point
>>
File: WFs6aB8.png (222 KB, 527x526) Image search: [Google]
WFs6aB8.png
222 KB, 527x526
>>337930552
> praised for their writing
> Arkham

Oh jesus christ no, do they actually get praised for their writing? It's literally on the level of a superhero comic, is the writing in the industry really in that bad of a shape?
>>
>>337930552
>I have no fucking clue why the Arkham games are praised for their writing at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-jkEDtQJMs
>>
>>337930419
You should read Morrison's run and then avoid Snyder's run. It's bad.

>>337930497
Shut the fuck up Boco. But yeah, Damien's story should have ended when Talia killed him. Morrison took a character who was irredeemable and arrogant and made him good, and then Damien gave his life to help others. Bringing him back was a mistake.

Damien's age also means there can never be another Robin, since there's no way he can age up and into a hero in his own right like Dick or Tim or even Jason.

He's also generally written as an insufferable snot nosed brat, too. I don't hate the idea of Damien but he was a character that served a purpose, and now he's just around to be annoying.
>>
>>337930552
People praise the storytelling you clown.
>>
>>337931154
You don't read comics, do you?
>>
>>337930369
Yes but you don't see it during the game except that game over scene in asylum. The database in Arkham City states that Bane did break his spine at one point.
>>
Because videogame writing is bottom of the barrel alongside romance and teen novels.
>>
>>337931383
I read some X-Men and Spider-Man when I was about 10-12, I obviously still don't read them, why?
>>
>>337929734
>but Batman/Bruce and how it affects him.

...except he never reacts to it. You just get a boss fight and then him cradling the Joker in his arms. If anything, we're supposed to care about how he feels about the Joker.
>>
>>337928964
I don't give a fuck what anyone says Origins>City
Gameplay (bosses) and storywise. Come at me.
>>
>>337931514

That's what I thought.
>>
>>337931362
Storytelling falls under writing, senpai. Trying to shove as many villains into the story as you can, because it's a fucking video game and you need bosses, does not good storytelling make.
>>
>>337931703
So you don't understand anything about Batman at all then.

So why are you playing these Batman games in the first place?
>>
>>337931725
I like the snowy christmas feel of Origins

Plus the open "city" in AC was a mistake
>>
>>337931284
>Snyder's run
>Bad

Fucking die on fire
>>
>>337931734
Why? Do you still read superhero comics?
>>
I actually thought she might've ended up being the Arkham Knight. But they went the safest, most predictable route. Great game though.
>>
The storylines in Arkham Asylum/City/Knight/etc are all fucking garbage.

Rocksteady cannot into writing. City is incomprehensible unless you know Batman lore fairly well. Knight performs an asspull with its story that ONLY works if you know about Batman well.
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 648x581) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 648x581
>>337931514
>claims something is like superhero comics
>only frame of reference for superhero comics is bottom of the barrel garbage

how can one person be so dumb
>>
>>337931725
>Gameplay
I'm not sure what exactly it was but something about the combat in Origins felt off to me, it just didn't flow as well as the others.
>>
>>337931284
>You should read Morrison's run and then avoid Snyder's run. It's bad.
I'm hearing the complete opposite, and having read Black Mirror myself I have reason to believe I would disagree with you.

What's bad about it?
>>
>>337931756
do you want to be told a story or play a video game?
>>
>>337931908
>Knight performs an asspull with its story that ONLY works if you know about Batman well.

Knowing it only makes it worse. Everyone who knows Batman saw the plot a mile off save for the joker elements that were pretty neat.

>>337931815
The open city idea was fine but the Batmobile should have been handled like it is in the films, not as a mobile tank that locks to several "combat zones" also not being able to glide across the bridges? fuck retarded.
>>
>>337931927
Why? Are you denying they're like superhero comics?

Also, I read a comic where Superman fought Dracula and Frankensteins monster, the Spider-Man and X-Men were pretty fucking far from bottom of the barrel in comparison.
>>
>>337931816
Snyder's run is aping Morrison's run, but worse. I'm not a tremendous fan of Morrison's Batman, either.

There is a lot of good additions to the lore in Snyder's run, but also a lot of absolute shit storytelling, and I can't recommend it. You can read much better Batman books.
>>
>>337931725
Origins has the best story, pacing, and characterization out of any of them.

Roger Craig Smith also isn't asleep as Batman like Conroy was in Asylum and City, he sort of got it together for Knight.
>>
>>337932219
The worst part is how Talia would have fit the Knight ten times better and would've actually resonated with people who played City.

It would have been a million times better. If Asylum also had Talia, it would've peaked the game over the top.
>>
>>337932201
I guess it's too much to ask for a video game that doesn't have a clusterfuck of a narrative.
>>
>>337932201
Play a game, the story just shouldn't be praised if it's not very good and just an excuse to run through Batman's rogue gallery. That's all I'm saying.
>>
>>337928964
>reminder arkham knight on PC was a crippling failure and is the current worst PC port of all time

why does literally everything I get hype for inevitably end in smoldering ruin?
>>
>>337932508
>story is praised
>it's literally a Megaman style romp, complete with unique themed stages for bosses. it ends with a lame ass Joker fight

I have no idea why people praise Asylum's story either. City at least tried somewhat better.
>>
>>337931756
>Storytelling falls under writing, senpai.

No it doesn't. Storytelling is how a story is told, writing is the actual dialogue. In a game that means visuals, sound and writing.
If you went in expecting a deep thought provoking script in a Batman game then you're stupid. There is nothing at all wrong with the writing in the games. They are in line with how they should be in a Batman story. In fact writing should fit the narrative meaning that even if they made the script more complex and deep it wouldn't fit.

For example the scene in Arkham Knight when Bruce is talking to Alfred when Ace Chemicals is about to blow up is a powerful scene yet has no complex writing.
https://youtu.be/buK0wRj6LQ0?t=1m19s
>>
>>337932610
>There is nothing at all wrong with the writing in the games

What does it like having such shit taste

I love Batman, but that doesn't mean I love bad Batman stories. I love Mask of the Phantasm but I don't like most of the later BTAS episodes
>>
File: Batman_Arkham_Knight_Artwork_6.jpg (298 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Arkham_Knight_Artwork_6.jpg
298 KB, 1920x1080
>>337932386
I'll agree that Talia should have been involved, perhaps the person to help pull the bat away from becoming The Joker but in the role of the Knight? I don't know. Why would she suddenly side with Scarecrow? also why it was predictable as fuck they did manage to make the best looking Red Hood costume to date so I'm not upset.
>>
>>337932767
Yeah man, great argument there.
>ur taste is shit!

We're done here, my juvenile friend.
>>
>>337932820
The better question is why did Jason side with Scarecrow?
>>
>>337928964
Talia fucking sucks.
>>
File: hugo strange.jpg (45 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
hugo strange.jpg
45 KB, 960x540
>>337932974
Okay you wanna talk writing? Okay.

Haven't played Arkham Knight cause it looks like a shit game anyway - but Arkham City's Hugo Strange was on the way to being one of the best Batman villains, but like any poorly written Batman story, he wasn't the mastermind behind it and instead it was

>LOL RA'S AL GHUL

Which is stupid but kind of expected at this point when shit tier Batman writers like Dini always do this twist. But then it goes full retard by being about The Joker... AGAIN
>>
>>337933115
Boy was fucked in the head until Batman pulled him out of it.
>>
>>337933307
Completely agree with this. Hugo would have been better solo. The Ra's twist plus Joker coming again to the forefront ruined City.

I wouldn't have minded Joker being part of it, but Hugo was way more compelling.
>>
File: 1462978977204.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1462978977204.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>337932610
>No it doesn't. Storytelling is how a story is told, writing is the actual dialogue
Stop, please.

Dialogue is dialogue. Telling a story is storytelling. They're both WRITING because a WRITER needs to understand both when WRITING the same way world building is also writing.
>>
>>337933407
Joker's moment should have been part of an after credits scene or the new game plus.

It really hurts the narrative and further makes Hugo's plans seem irrelevant and having no lasting consequences
>>
>>337933307
I hate Ra's al Ghul
>>337933156
She got better under Morrison, but I always hated her shtick before

>Batman's fated love
>Her dad wants her to be evil, but she's a gud gril who dindu nuttin
>Hopelessly devoted to Batman
>Batman loves her too, but won't be with her because her dad is evil

It's the most blatant fanfic shit.
>>
>>337928964
>Batman and Talia barely had any chemistry or screen time together
I bet she had chemistry with Batman
On his dick
And other places
IN AN ORDER THAT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU
>>
>>337933446
Jesus. /tv/ makes the best OC.
>>
>everyone guessed who the arkham knight was months in advance
>they still try to act like it was a huge surprise

They suck at writing it doesn't matter if it's actually good it has Batman so to casuals it automatically gets a pass
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.