[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have made the return to PC gaming for the first time since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (6 KB, 241x79) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6 KB, 241x79
I have made the return to PC gaming for the first time since about 2007 and I want record some videos of a few Early Access games I'm playing.
This was the recording software of choice way back then. Is it still a good options or is there some other clear choice?
I don't need to select an area on my screen, I just want to record everything on screen with sound and preferably at 60fps but 30 would be fine and ideally be able to stop and start with a hotkey.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
>>
>>337897204
FRAPS is trash. If you have an nVidia GPU then use nVidia SHARE (Shadowplay), if you're on AMD then use OBS.
>>
Use Shadowplay or OBS
>>
>>337897290
This. If you have Nvidia, install the Experience and you get it for free.
AMD also has their own alternative.
>>
>>337897282
>>337897361
>>337897290
Thanks all. I'll give that a shot
>>
>>337897361
Sleep well, NVIDIA shill
>>
im not this guy but i only use fraps to check my fps on games and take the occasional screen shot. im still okay using this shit right?
>>
>>337897651
I still use it to record videos, been using it since 2007 like OP.
>>
>>337897204
I still use fraps just for screen caps and fps checks. I paid for it years back and still have the license for it
>>
>>337897749
I had no idea people actually paid for fraps
>>
>>337897843
The guy who upload the torrent I used for it in 2007 did.
>>
>>337897204
if you have a fast-ish dedicated drive for recording thats like a couple terabytes Dxtory is the best ive come across
you can play at 1920 1080 and records at 720p for smaller filesizes, it has fuck all performance hit, dual audio for microphone and the gamesounds (makes editing piss easy)
can cap FPS recording, i guess thats a pretty universal feature though
>>
Fraps crashes on newer games for me. I wish they'd update it.
>>
>>337897282
>>337897290
>>337897361
What does Shadowplay have over OBS?
>>
Is Xsplit Gamecaster good for recording? or is there a better free alternative?
>>
>>337898130
OBS is free and is basically the standard for that kind of shit
>>
>>337898048
>I wish they'd update it.
This.
Unlike other games FRAPS takes both images and video in lossless.

When you want pixel perfect videos and images there's not much that JUST WERKS besides FRAPS.
>>
>>337898048
i absolutely cannot use fraps on mad max. i just cant. it wont even start if fraps is on. i think one time it worked, but everything was all black and fucked up
>>
>>337898361
Windows 10?
Using other overlays?
Windows 10 is shit and can't handle more than two, so if you have MSI afterburner and FRAPS while using Steam for example it will crash.
Blame M$ if you use Win10.
>>
>>337898457
>Windows 10
please, im not retarded. its just mad max and only mad max. is there any other kind of fps counter? i would rather just find a new one than fix whatever is causing this problem. i just want to make sure all my settings are ideal so the game can run smoothly
>>
>>337898457
that's not really due to windows 10. that's due to the fact that afterburner hooks games and it creates a hook conflict with fraps, causing the game to crash. it's because either fraps or afterburner has shitty hooks. probably afterburner.
>>
>>337898604
Yet Fraps+MSI Afterburner+Steam Overlay works on Windows 7 just perfect.
>>
>>337898063
It's easy to set-up and just works, also only takes away like 1FPS when you start recording.
>>
>>337898937
yea, shadowplay is bretty gud if you're just recording a game without much else. obs is good too, but nvidia capture stuff gives you the least hit due to to their proprietary capture stuff or something.

if you use obs with game capture and the nvenc encoder, then it's just about as good.

generally either one is fine though. if you want to try obs get the studio version because it's a lot easier to set up than the older one.
>>
OP Here. I just Had a bit of a test run. Shadowplay seems to be recording everything very smoothly and does exactly what I need.

Forgot about MSI Afterburner. I know it's on here somewhere but I've never used it.
Nvidia is working perfect so for though.
Thanks all!
>>
>>337897282
Shadow play doesn't work for me at all
>>
>>337899962
Try nVidia Share then, it's an updated version of Shadowplay.
>>
>tfw you still use FRAPS for screenshots
>>
>>337898063
OBS never fucking works properly for me. OBS studio doesn't support shadow recording either.
>>
>>337900635
Didn't even know this existed, I guess it's still in beta? I'll try it out.

>>337901276
This. Shadowplay for recording (wish OBS studio worked properly), Fraps for png screenshots.
>>
>>337902029
>Fraps for png screenshots.
The updated version of Shadowplay can take screenshots too.
>>
>>337902140
Shadowplay literally doesn't work
>>
>>337897204
>traitor asking for advice
>>
>>337897282
Did they implement an ability to record in windowed mode or it still sucks? I'm on nVidia, but I'm using OBS.
>>
File: Untitled.png (515 KB, 1282x517) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
515 KB, 1282x517
>>337902524
Yes, you just have to enable it in settings, it works fine.
>>
A good informative thread, what kind of bizarro /v/ am I on?

Not OP but thanks.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.