[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most retarded scene in all of Metal Gear?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: MGSV Skullface chat.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
MGSV Skullface chat.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
Is this the most retarded scene in all of Metal Gear?
>>
>>337887303
I was born in a small jeep.
>>
Whatever the Navajo told you... it's just one possible solution derived by Cipher. My will is different. I've known you since your time at Langley. I've long been the other side of your coin. 1964. Soviet territory. FOX's first mission. Any mess you made, I was there to clean up. You completed your task - and admirably. The "information" you returned was for more than enough to fill out pockets. With it, out futures became - more or less - set in stone. And then the major came to me with an idea. "Washington doesn't know how to spend money," he said. "I'd like to... redirect it". His goal was an organization dedicated solely - covertly - to supporting America. Cipher. You know the rest. To him, it was mourning - the loss of his friend. Or rather, an act of revenge. On the world, but America most of all. American is a country of liberty. A meeting of immigrants. Instead of simply assimilating, its citizens live alongside others. Their roots are varied. Diverse. America's never been made up of just one people. But he tried to forge a single conciousness. For it, and from it. The idea that every citizen would use free will to unite behind their country. Unilateralism like that can't be entrusted to any one individual. So the major sought a system that used information, words, to control the "subconscious". To unite America and the entire world. The major thought this was his friend's will, but I never understood what she wanted. Before he ever walked, or cried - even before he was born - his mother tongue was English. he doesn't know the pain of losing his own language. Not yet. He cannot understand her will. I do. I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders I was made to speak their language. With each new post, my masters changed, along with the words they made me speak. Words are peculiar. With each change I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong.
>>
>>337887683
War changed me - and not only my visage. Words can kill. I was invaded by words, burrowing and breeding inside me. A philosopher once said, "It is no nation we inhabit, but a language. Make no mistake; our native tongue is our true fatherland." My fatherland - my truth was stolen from me. And so was my past. All that's left is the future. And mine is revenge. On those who'd leech off the words of their fellow man. This is what I learned from the Major. And then it hit me. It was he who should feel my wrath. He and the code he chose as basis for control. Language codes, information codes - beamed all around us - genetic codes spanning history. By controlling the codes, Cipher... Zero intends to unify the world. Codes implanted into hour heads, sucking our minds dry as it spreads from one host to the next. A parasite upon this Earth. That is what Zero is. As one born into this world, he's afflicted. I hold him responsible for killing my freedom. Killing all traces of my past... Killing any promise of a future... We are all but dead men forced to walk upon this earth. A world reduced to Zero. Cipher plans to use its codes to control the world. They think they can. And the "mother tongue" of all those codes is English. The word became flesh. The final parasite. It knows English. An English strain of the vocal parasite. I will exterminate the English language. With this, I'll rid the world of infestation. All men will breathe free again - reclaim their past, present and future. This is no ethnic cleanser. It is a liberator, to free the world from Zero. Let the world be. Sans lingua franca, the world will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain. The world will need a new common tongue. A language of nukes. My Metal Gears shall be the thread by which all countries are bound together in equality. No words will be needed. Every man will be forced to recognize his neighbour. People will swallow their pain.
>>
you could feel that this was the dotted line of the game where kojimble was fired
>>
File: Hahaha.gif (3 MB, 420x216) Image search: [Google]
Hahaha.gif
3 MB, 420x216
>>337887471
>>
>>337887303
The best scene is when you get the glitch where Skullface doesn't talk to you, and you are just watching a damn staring match for a good 8 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXYs86uf38M
>>
>>337887303
>>337887836
The concept of being able to annihilate the language(s) of a sovereign nation would have a very close, if not equal, effect as carpet bombing every square inch of said nation with nuclear weapons (from the perspective of international diplomacy).

Think about it. If the people of a country/nation had completely lost their ability to communicate with each other, what would happen? Everyone would group up with their nearest and dearest, and then migrate to the nearest country that still had a common tongue, and summarily assimilate. Don't forget that language and culture are two sides of the same coin. Unless that entire nation had the resolve to unilaterally stand together and commit to constructing an entirely new language, which is both difficult and unlikely considering that the economy of that nation would be destroyed as well, the remaining population would dissolve into small groups and migrate somewhere with an established language. It's quicker to grasp the basics of a language and find a job elsewhere so that you can provide for your ultimate priority, your family/closest friends.

This scene isn't retarded, it's terrifying. Consider Skull Face's imperative to eliminate the English Language. If his plan succeeded, the world would have ground to a halt and then some. The primary language of economics in 1984 was English; every country in the world that wanted to make serious money conceded and decided to learn it so that they could conduct business with the west.

If Skull Face lived he wouldn't have rested until every language would have been wiped from the face of the earth; and as a result those who survived would have no choice but to unite and build from the ashes. Personally i think it is a shining example of a perfect weapon for a powerful, intelligent villain. A great many would die, but it would be a new chance for the world to live as one.

TL;DR This scene was great and it was wasted on you dumb fucknuts.
>>
episode 3 when?
>>
>>337892720
When Half Life 3 comes out.
>>
>>337892720
You mean chapter 3? Never ever famalam
>>
>>337892678
The script was good but the execution was beyond rubbish.
Good try Kojima.
>>
>>337887303
Nah, the "bang" scene and all of the last MGS4 act except the fistfight is retarded to the max.
Johnny's wedding singlehandedly takes the prize.
>>
>>337892904
>that whole scene where johnny proposing to meryl
Cringed the whole time, one of the worst things I've ever seen in a video game.
>>
>>337887303
What Metal Gear scene isn't retarded?
>>
>>337893246
I mean after the original solid the games just get goofier and goofier.
>>
WOOOAHHH-HOOOAAAAAAHHHHH
>>
File: 1461016904540.jpg (140 KB, 704x460) Image search: [Google]
1461016904540.jpg
140 KB, 704x460
>>337887303

What kind of mind can conceive something like this?

Who can look at a scene like this and not change it?

How far up ones rectum does ones head has to be?
>>
>>337887303
Nah, everything about MGS is retarded as fuck. I am glad that Konami killed the series finally and cucked Kojima hard.
>>
>>337893507
Half of me likes to think that it was like this because Kojima had little time.

The other half thinks Kojima needs fucking editors.
>>
How bout when quiets theme kicks in for no raisen
>>
That scene would have been better if it didn't have that 5 minutes of fucking nothing. Should have just had Skullface fly you to Serak in his chopper, skip the minutes of them just silently staring at each other, while having Words That Kill play in the background, slowly building in volume, then it ends right as you land at Serak, then the game continues like it did.
>>
>>337893507
Well when you sleep only 4 hours day because you need more time to watch more movies that would help deteriorate your mental health.
>>
>>337893603
I'm going to say that the song totally works with what Skullface is saying, but yeah. It's abruptness at the end of his fucking speech was so sudden I laughed my fucking ass off, cursing at Kojima for the rest of that sequence.
>>
>>337887303
I was waiting for them to kiss, why didn't they do it you know they both wanted to.
>>
>>337887303
medic doesn't even give him the time of day during this

it's like he doesn't even care
>>
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?
>>
File: Pen-and-Paper.jpg (415 KB, 1772x1864) Image search: [Google]
Pen-and-Paper.jpg
415 KB, 1772x1864
>>337892678

BEHOLD

I HAVE FOILED CRANIUM FELLAS PLAN

I HAVE ALSO PROVEN JUST HOW FUCKING AUTISTIC THE STRIPPER PLANT PSYCHO BITCH TRULY IS.
>>
I thought it was good.

This was the only time in the game where the world feels like it's buzzing with activity and the Soviets are an actual military presence.

Only problem is the animation, it could have used a lot more. Maybe the music cue should detach the scene from the jeep but it doesn't bother me that much.
>>
I think it's hilarious how people trash this scene when it's been in every fucking MGS game in the exact same format. The only difference is the camera position and that you weren't restrained, just held at gunpoint.
>>
>>337887303
Nope. I'd say Johnny shitting himself is the worst.

Or maybe the entire MGS4 ending. At least Skullface's ramble isn't an hour and a half long.
>>
>Can't turn anyone into Big Boss
>Doesn't turn the entire Diamond Dogs into a Big Boss clone army

Naked Snake deserved all the pain he got.
>>
>>337893246
The one where fortune blocked bullets with the power of nakama or something
>>
Skull Face practiced that speech for 9 years to tell it to the wrong person who didn't care.
>>
File: 1461076965567.jpg (66 KB, 477x750) Image search: [Google]
1461076965567.jpg
66 KB, 477x750
>>337894007

Every other Metal Gear doesn't have a mute protaginist who sat in front of the bloody villain, awkwardly shuffling around with his limbs, while looking from side to side as if he was a teenager in a car with his parents, trying to ignore them screech at each other.

This scene is some of the most amateurish shit I have ever seen.

It reminds me of those shitty creepypastas.

It's a fucking joke.
>>
>>337894479

Yes it does. Every other Metal Gear has the protagonist being captured and having the badguy/s ramble at them while looking all over the place via the camera while not saying anything. Even fucking Rising had it. It's the exact fucking same shit.
>>
>>337893938
This ties your ability to communicate to a limited resource, and forgets that you'd essentially be alone in any high stress situation if you couldn't vocalize to the people around you.
>>
File: EyvI01R.png (543 KB, 1050x773) Image search: [Google]
EyvI01R.png
543 KB, 1050x773
this was fucking bizarre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y897tozJeg8
>>
>>337894576
Rising is basically parody though, and Raiden at the very least is trying to fight Armstrong while exposition dump is happening.
>>
>>337894768

He's talking about the bit in front of the tower where Raiden's on the ground and listens to Monsoon talk about memes without speaking. You know, the one where you can pan the camera and see one of the cyborgs playing with a cat.
>>
>THE JEEP SCENE WAS RUBBISH
>THE LADDER SCENE WAS BRILLIANT 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgaYe4ZYYyY

Hypocrites.
>>
People who hate this scene are the same kind of plebians who hate Batman v Superman.

You just can't appreciate groundbreaking artistic statements.
>>
>>337893603

that's not quiet's theme ya tard
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (113 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
113 KB, 1920x1080
<---
>>
Skullface in GZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZ-OdxcB80

Skullface in TPP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XidoSkgMgw

WHAT
WENT
WRONG
>>
File: 1455557048896.jpg (21 KB, 399x295) Image search: [Google]
1455557048896.jpg
21 KB, 399x295
>>337894905
Oh, fuck. I forgot about that, that scene is fucking dumb.

At the same time though I've never really have taken Metal Gear Solid and especially Rising seriously. So during that entire scene I was laughing my ass off.
>>
>>337895430
Never even saw this scene
>>
>>337895448
The Skullface you meet in TPP is a masked phantom of the original. The original fucked off after having though to have successfully killed Zero and BB.
>>
>>337895448
Skull Face was fucking amazing in GZ. Pimpest nigga in MGS.

Then Kojima read entry-level philosophy of language and decided he wanted to make a game about that.

Also, did we ever find out what was up with Chico plugging a headset into his chest?
>>
>>337895430
Quiet is the most successful villain of the franchise, considering she almost single-handedly managed to ruin the most anticipated entry in the series.
>>
>>337896150
Nope, literally a dropped plot point. You might theorise that he had just gone crazy from guilt.
>>
>>337887683
>>337887303
>>337887781
I loved the speech, but the way it was presented sucked. I wish a cinematic played of all that he is talking about, such as seeing him as a child, when the foreign soldiers attacked his village, the scarring of his face, him during Snake Eater being a step behind Naked Snake and covering his tracks, and so on.

Not only that but Snake actually reacting to his speech and even debating with the guy insitead of him looking uninterested as fuck. Sweet fucking christ, I hate how Venom doesn't react to almost anything.
>>
>>337896564
Didn't the WOLBACHIA breeding bodies in TPP also have radios plugged in them in order to "teach the language" to the parasites? Chico could have been a host too, although why he would willingly teach the parasites remains a question.
>>
File: 1463431417406.jpg (18 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1463431417406.jpg
18 KB, 240x240
>>337896712
>Chico could of have been a host
>Chico could of have been infected during GZ
Holy shit, never thought of that.
>>
File: 1452066201890.jpg (174 KB, 1533x961) Image search: [Google]
1452066201890.jpg
174 KB, 1533x961
can anyone fucking explain to me how the medic was just as skilled as the "legendary soldier" Big Boss?

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE
>>
>>337896712
i thought the radios were playing the infected language in order to get the parasites to grow and spread
>>
>>337896712
not quite, the breeding bodies had the speaker put in their neck
Chico on the other hand had the audio jack plugged into his sternum and the speakers in his ears, giving the illusion of listening to his own heartbeat, or the likes
>>
>>337896823
He was on that helicopter because he apparently was one of Big Boss's best soldiers at the time.
Also the medic isn't because it's implied that Big Boss is off doing shit 10x better than they are.
>>
>>337896823

its meant to be a bit meta. its not that the medic is as good as big boss in universe, its that the player is as good as big boss (because the player has been snake for ages)
>>
The only reason it was so fucked was because open world. There was too much space between point A and point B. Kojima couldn't put enough Exposition there to fill that space.
>>
>>337896810
>could of

Fuck off spic
>>
>>337896823
The legendary Big Boss was basically just that, a legend. A better soldier than the average, sure, but nothing extraordinary. His value and worth was in the legends and the myths surrounding him, and these allowed him to become a big player.
>>
>>337893938
Ocelot said she was dyslexic.
>>
File: who is doing this.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
who is doing this.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>337893842
>>
>>337896973
He saved the world from nuclear disaster twice.
>>
>>337896948
What?
>>
>>337897034
then became the third threat
pottery
>>
>>337893938
Code Talker tapes describe a strain of the parasites developed by the Chinese that destroys a person's ability to comprehend written phonetic languages.
>>
>>337896823
it's not that medic is necessarily as good, he's just good enough to be a believable impersonator
>>
>>337887303
>Is this the most retarded scene in all of Metal Gear?

No, Metal Gear has many retarded scenes.
Kojima is "muh artistic vision" tier retarded, wish he'd have some strong person next to him to slap him whenever he insists on a full 5 minute cutscene with nothing happening but music.
>>
>>337897270
at least his other artistic visions came across as visions. The Jeep ride was lazily thrown together.
>>
>>337887303
>not too bad speech
>you feel like he's in power
>medic doesn't say anything
>the second half of the ride is empty except this singer blearing
>followed by hot hotman killing himself
>whoooooo
>"to be continued"
>"I'm burning up"

the whole section is pure trash
>>
File: co.jpg (28 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
co.jpg
28 KB, 422x422
>>337896973
>destroyed a bunch of proto Metal Gears
>nothing extraordinary
>>
>>337896704
That would actually be really fucking cool.

For someone who's so obsessed with films, Kojima is fucking terrible at cinematography.
>>
>>337896335
I think Kojima underestimated how small minded people are. Or maybe he was making a point with it? Very few saw Quiet as a character, just as a postergirl.
>>
>>337896823

The games since MGS3 have been retconning BB to be a loser. Peace Walker says he never actually got better than The Boss, she just let him win. It also shows him to be a gigantic manchild who can't run anything bigger than a weekly beach judo class without Kaz babying him. Skull Face was apparently with you all the way in MGS3, weakening the bosses and disrupting the enemy before you got there. He never survived being blown up in MG1 like a badass, it was just Bad Boss. And finally his place can be filled easily by a random medic who actually has better stat totals than him (compare stats in PW and TPP).

And then he easily disarms Snake and CQC hugs him despite just waking up from his twelth coma like fifteen minutes ago? I don't get it.
>>
He could've just killed Zero and Cypher. I mean, he already fucked the man up with his Parasites. Then he can use his sick Metal Gear to do whatever and it's done.
>>
>>337897718
>Very few saw Quiet as a character, just as a postergirl.

That's because she had no personality outside of MUH VOICE and MUH REVENGE
>>
File: silence14.jpg (3 MB, 3755x2088) Image search: [Google]
silence14.jpg
3 MB, 3755x2088
>>337896704
>him during Snake Eater being a step behind Naked Snake and covering his tracks
>scene like this appear after he follows snake quietly where he "silences" the audience and then literally blows the scene away
LOL
>>
>>337897945
I could understand why you would think so.
>>
>>337897010
>no easter egg where skull face is just a member of your team
>>
>>337896704
>Sweet fucking christ, I hate how Venom doesn't react to almost anything.

And the few times he does react makes him completely schizophrenically written character.

>Quiet jumps into gas chamber
>Ocelot has to restrain Venom from jumping in there to save her.
>Carries her off afterwards like a white knight.
>In the very next cutscene, he stands around in the background doing nothing and saying nothing as Miller is torturing her to death.
>>
>Kojima-san, what are we going to do for MGSV? Snake is dead and Raiden is probably suited for another action game.
>We make the missingu linku between Peace Walker and Metal Gear.
>That makes sense. We could have a simple story about Big Boss' slow descent into becoming a warmonger.
>NO YOU FILTHY BAKA. THERE MUST BE TWISTS. WE NEED TWISTS AND DAVID BOWIE. AND HOWA DARE YOU THINK MY HUSBANDU BIGGU BOSSU DID ANYTHING WRONG.
>>
>>337898634
Big Boss was an egotistical fucking prick
Snake Eater, MG1, MG2 and MGS4 make that quite clear
I love him anyway
>>
>>337899693
>I love him anyway
this desu
>>
>>337887303

It's got nothing on Ocelot being possessed by Liquid's arm in MGS2.
>>
>>337899842
BBBBRRRRROOOOOTTTTTHHHHHEEEERRRRRRRR
>>
>>337899939
LIQUIIIIIIDDDD!
>>
>>337897946
There is a bunch of edit of Skullface on MGS3 pics that are hilarious.

Hell, there is one of him strapped outside the plane Snake is in when he is ready to start Snake Eater mission.
>>
File: 1391934666660.jpg (297 KB, 800x1107) Image search: [Google]
1391934666660.jpg
297 KB, 800x1107
>put on my best zorro mask
>rehearse this for fucking days
>alright, the dumb motherfucker actually showed up
>alright, going for a jeep ride. Sort of different than what I was expecting but improvising a little won't hurt
>go into my monologue, going great so far
>wait
>is he actually fucking around on his iphone
>he's not saying jack shit
>keep it together
>now the driver puts on something from his Celine Dion mixtape and blares it at full volume -- something about words that kill or some shit

>my ears are actually burning from embarrassment and I have that whole body cringe that happens when you do something really fucking stupid

>just kill me
>>
?

That was better than the ladder scene though
>>
Am I the only one who finds the lack of "special" boss fights pretty lame? The skulls are just sorta there but not really as intense or in depth as cobra unit or dead cell. For as far as depth goes anyway.
>>
>>337901461
The lack of boss fights in general sucked.
>>
>>337901461

It was one of the biggest problems I had with the game is the complete lack of real boss fights.

The Skulls didn't even feel like bosses, anymore than say hunters or crimson heads did in Resident Evil.
>>
>>337894934
you clearly dont understand why people liked the ladder scene and hated the jeep scene
>>
>>337901461
I really did not like fighting quiet or the sniper skulls
I understand that it was suppose to harken back to the end but it just fell flat on me
>>
>>337901540
>>337901685
Glad I'm not the only one then. The only real sorta boss fight was probably those sniper skulls. I mean sure Metal-gear-not-rex was a neat final boss. But it still was a "shoot it until it dies" episode.
>>
>>337897578
>Kojima is fucking terrible at cinematography

Kojima is a god at cinematography, especially in MGSV. His scenes being just one take and the dreamy way he moves it is so goddamn good.

He just fucks up at really important parts.
>>
>>337901685
you mean you didnt like le magic zombie bad guys?
>>
>>337902008
I literally feel the same way. The challenge was sort of there. But it was indeed just a regurgitated The End boss with added muh parasites.
>>
>>337901978
well,why?
>>
>>337896823
Remember that they implanted every memory of Big Boss in Venom. Which means that Venom has every movement that Jack had in the past, making him just as skilled as him.
Besides, according to Big Boss, Venom was "always the best man we had".
>>
Meryll Johnny proposal scene is the worst, especially since it happens during what should be Snake's grueling crawl. Makes it cheesy as fuck.
>>
i hate how eventually every boss becomes supernatural

MGS1:
>Psycho Mantis

MGS2:
>Vamp
>Fortune's final scene

MGS3:
>le bee man
>le invisible snake man
>le old eye bulging man
>le electric communist

MGS4:
>another psycho mantis (but not the real one)
>nanomachines make you live forever

MGSV:
>parasites :D
>volgin ghost
>psycho mantis (real one, but hes a kid)
>>
File: Man shrugging.jpg (39 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
Man shrugging.jpg
39 KB, 400x267
>>337902403
why didn't they just do that on a mass scale, rather than cloning the Boss?
>>
>>337902553
Don't forget

>a raven coming out of Vulcan's head
>a ghost
>zombies who get infected by the AAAIIIIIRRRR
>>
>>337901978
>Hold up for 3 minutes why a lyrics only version of the main song plays
>Sit in a jeep driving for 3 minutes while the main song plays with lyrics

Is it the instruments or the holding up that you like better?
>>
>>337902242
a factor is pacing and atmosphere. you just defeated a slow paced multi hour long boss, and after that, after a grueling battle with one of the craziest snipers in russia, you're nearing the end. the ladder serves as interlude, a moment of reflection, a intermission. it's also unexpected yet fitting. dreamlike yet familiar. also, you're actually doing something in this scene. albeit it's one button.

in the jeep, you sit there, and some skull dude is blabbering about some stupid shit and bad writing. the song is awkward and unfitting. honestly. thats the main problem with the jeep. it's awkward. it's an interlude similar to the ladder, but it just doesn't work. the atmosphere doesnt fit. skull face is badly presented. etc..
>>
>>337902649
Because the medic had the physical capability to achieve big boss level skills, not every soldier is capable of that.
>>
>>337887303
I love how they hyped him up like "here's a character you might know from before"
For him to just be some faggot with weird hooked on phonics hangups
>>
>>337902819
What boss took you hours to kill?
And I liked the Jeep scene. Revenge is within your reach, but you're not able to grasp it because of other obligations.
You feel like just killing him or something, but you know you can't because Venom has something to do.
>>
>>337902992
The End

around 2-3 hours maybe. thats the amount of time that was intended i believe
>>
>>337902992
>Sniper boss
>Ladder interlude afterwards.

Cmon anon.
>>
>>337896704
Perfect time to use the exposition cutscenes from previous games

But fuck you silent protagonist lol fox engine donna burke woaahaahhhhhhh [autotune]
>>
>>337902036

Even the sniper skulls weren't really great. It was just Quiet x 4 with new skins.
>>
>>337903115
>>337903119
That took you multiple hours?
Maybe I got lucky the first time I suppose.
>>
File: 9a8d8e4e.png (176 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
9a8d8e4e.png
176 KB, 500x485
>Ocelot develops a southern drawl and loses it in the timespan of 40 years
>>
>>337903219
I'm still sorta mad that quiet is just such a wasted character.
>>
>>337901461
Yeah. Pretty much the only special boss was Quiet.
>>
>>337887303
No but you are OP
>>
>>337903305
I just ran around with a shotgun and shot the shit out of him, took me like 10 minutes
>>
>>337887303
Dunno, I haven't play it yet.
But I think I'll take this gaem instead of Uncharted 4. At least infiltration seems fun in this one.
>>
>>337903512
Imagine if they made Kaz as boring as ocelot. The entire cast would be damp rags like quiet.
>>
>>337903674
The fucking ladder scene was as long as your boss fight fucking kek
>>
>>337894708
They said worst, not best.
>>
>>337903783
Kaz's rage was pretty boring too, it's like Kojima forgot how to write characters that aren't mute, exposition guides or one emotion.
>>
>>337894612
Random shouts don't count as language.

However, as a person who is dependent on language for my survival (interpreter), I'd benefit GREATLY from such a virus, if only I had the antidote.

>delete English in my home country
>ties with England broken for everyone not capable of obtaining cure or my translation services
>since no one can speak the language, everyone would have to speak another, similar language and I could interpret that
>scroochmcduck.jpg

Also, there is ONE problem with the vocal cords virus. language is NOT created in the vocal cords, it's created in the oral cavity and beyond. To work, the parasite would have to listen to something on the outside, that way anyone talking that language would slowly kill you.
>>
File: 1418477646041.png (3 KB, 186x186) Image search: [Google]
1418477646041.png
3 KB, 186x186
i haven't played MGS1 in years, but how did people get in and out of the room that Kenneth Baker was in, if they concreted over the entrances?

and why would they concrete over the entrances?
>>
>>337903790
Totally worth it to see the Benny Hill scene of him running like a bitch and Snake running after him while weird deer things get in the way
>>
>>337904203
You've obviously never worked at construction
>>
reminder that the ladder scene was barely 2 minutes in length
This alone isn't enough to justify it's presence in the game, but it does put into perspective how long the jeep overstayed it's welcome
>>
>>337892678
You can still write, or you can simple learn sign language, which is easy as fuck.
>>
>>337903679
Uncharted 4 has more fun stealth parts than MGSV
>>
They should've called Venom Silent Snake
>>
File: Not for honour but for WHOOOOOO.jpg (95 KB, 1034x662) Image search: [Google]
Not for honour but for WHOOOOOO.jpg
95 KB, 1034x662
Don't forget him cleaning up.
>>
>>337904685
Kill yourself, you stupid piece of fucking shit.
>>
>>337904685
All of MGSV is a fun stealth part if you ain't a bitch
>>
File: 1451890450098.jpg (17 KB, 457x396) Image search: [Google]
1451890450098.jpg
17 KB, 457x396
>>337905068
>>337905073
I just realised I used the tranq gun to hell and back, how's the game without it?

Shit I overuse the damn tranq gun in all the games. Maybe now's a good time to replay.
>>
>>337905272
God tier without tranq gun. True stealth action.
>>
>>337887683
>>337887781

Imagine how amazing Kojima's games could be if he hired some decent writers.
>>
>>337905321
Aw shit nigga good to hear
>>
>>337905272
Going into missions knowing you don't give a shit about the body count is great, I almost feel like the game was made for you to go lethal, murder stealth is my favourite way to play
>>
>>337905524
True stealth is the only way to go.
>>
>>337905272
MGSV is basically Far Cry when you go lethal or anything like that. However, Far Cry has better gunplay and MGSV is an unfun grindfest that punishes you for going lethal since you'll have less soldiers to develop shit for you. Just a shit game altogether really.
>>
>>337905796
>since you'll have less soldiers to develop shit for you
can't you just use cheat engine if you care that much about having top tier weapons?
>>
>>337905796
>Far Cry has better gunplay than MGSV
3/10 lazy but got me to respond
>>
>>337905796
The game punishing you for going lethal is way overblown.

You will still get a shitload of volunteers and you can soldiers get more recruits during despatch missions. Events also make it hilariously easy to just farm a bunch of S ranks.
>>
>>337887303
Is this the console version?
That wheel doesn't look very good.
>>
Felt good when I still got 50 euros for this game after turning it in at the store after a week.

One of the worst top tier games I ever played.
>>
>>337887303
Would have been much better if it wasn't for two things
>Snake still does his idle animation, making him just look like he doesn't give a shit even when skullface is up close in his face
>They just sit in silence after the speech is done

Would have been much better if Snake actually responded and didn't look like he was completely disinterested in the hamburglar's plan.
>>
>>337905037
Oh fuck, please tell me you have the other images like this. I need atbleast thebone with him riding the plane Snake was in.
>>
>>337902503
Kojima just really liked Mr and Mrs Smith.
>>
>Skullface in GZ - cunning, intimidating, batshit insane yet that insanity is camoflauged with fancy words and a calm demeanor, ruthless, a steroid-ed Ozymandias, mysterious

>Skullface in TPP - can literally be replaced by Skeletor and nothing will change
>>
>>337905595
I don't like how they penalize you for killing, as if they're saying you're not supposed to kill
>>
>>337906040
Every version of MGSV is extremely low poly, it just hides it most of the time with its lightning. It's how it manages to run on last gen and shitty PC:s.

If you zoom in on almost anything in MGSV you'll notice everything is very sneakily square'like, even down to the design of Snakes fatigues.
>>
>>337906272
Well all of the Metal Gear games technically penalize you for killing enemies, but this one actually multiplied it by making it each mission and tied it to a core game mechanic.
>>
>>337906272

Yeah, it's quite retarded. The whole demon system is trash.
>>
>>337906114
>One of the worst top tier games
fucked up desu senpai
>>
File: 20160516045223_1.jpg (190 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160516045223_1.jpg
190 KB, 1920x1080
>>337906372
Funny you should say that. I took this last night right infront of OKB Zero.
>>
>>337897010
is this a doable glitch or did he hack the game
>>
File: 003.jpg (73 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
73 KB, 450x600
If the cut content was in, with the third chapter going to see eli, etc with less repetitious missions, would you have liked it?
>>
File: 2016-03-03_00002.jpg (196 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-03_00002.jpg
196 KB, 1920x1080
>>337906481
There are struts on some FOBs that have these textures.
>>
Metal Gear's story got progressively more absurd the more it tried to incorporate and continue the story of previous titles. Especially when MGS2 needs to be included in the equation - the story literally does not make sense. It exists only to communicate ideas about story-telling, interpretation, etc. It is in service of philosophical concepts, rather than for its own sake.

That being said, MGSV contains a lot of absurdity that is not the result of being beholden to an insane non-sensical canon. There was the still the possibility that an engaging and interesting "downfall of the hero" story could have been told in MGSV, it just didn't happen.
>>
>>337906556

It would have been better, but MGS5 was always going to have problems if it didn't show Big Boss's fall into villainy.
>>
File: 2016-03-03_00003.jpg (261 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-03_00003.jpg
261 KB, 1920x1080
>>337906601
>>
>>337906418
>Being angry your appearance reflects your actions.

You deserve it you fiend.
>>
>>337906272
>>337906416
>>337906418
Every game has 'punished' you for killing by scoring you lower at the end
It's just that now the scoring comes more often, if you didn't give a shit in MGS1-4 then don't give a shit here, you will still get enough dudes, heroism and GMP to do everything
>>
>>337895448
>x was cooler when we knew less about it!

SHOCKER

That's how it works.

Monster in a horror movie is scary when you know little and see little; far less so if you know its name and favorite breakfast cereal.

People love to think side characters in game or movies are the best, most interesting or coolest because they fill in all the missing information with their own ideas. Like Boba Fett

Skull Face is no different in GZ or PP, whatever your opinion might be
>>
>>337906658
is it necessary? after 3 and pw and during 5 i just kind of took it as he made outer heaven a supernation for the sake of creating peace, not so much as self consciously becoming a villain
>>
File: 1404811862753.png (14 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1404811862753.png
14 KB, 800x600
>able to build a gigantic underwater fortress in secret next to Manhattan

who do the patriots use as their contractors?
>>
>>337906601
>>337906674
This shit pisses me off, so they used some low res textures for shit you're not supposed to glance at for more than half a second, it probably saved them a week and a bunch of money so they could focus on other shit
>Lel this texture is blocky so the game looks like crap
Fuck you buddy and the horse you rode in on
>>
>>337906674
>>337906601
pretty smart move

MGSV is fucking beautiful, next gen-worthy graphics, but when you zoom in with binoculars it looks so shite. even the rocks. crazy.
>>
>>337906556
>If the [game was good], would you have liked it?

Yes.

All I got was a Ubishit game.
>>
>>337906842
They just follow the Ancient Egyptian style of keeping your secrets
>>
Did anyone else not enjoy developing Mother Base? I don't like scanning and fultoning guards. It feels like busywork, that might appeal to a more compulsive player -- someone who enjoys the grind of an RPG, but I lost that feeling after the first two RPGs I played in my life.

The thing is, I kept doing it because I felt I should, in case there was cool gear I hadn't yet developed. Even that is an issue. There is no reason to develop all of these weapons, because the assault rifle and tranq. pistol are perfectly serviceable the entire way through the game, even without upgrades. Furthermore, as a stealth game, I never had any reason to use this massive arsenal of weaponry I had unlocked. "Wow, look at all these shotguns!" I'll never use them because I need guards alive to be fultoned, and it's against the nature of the game to play it like Gears of War, running in with assault weaponry. Peace Walker had a similar problem, too
>>
>>337895430
this
>>
>>337887683
>>337887781

Every Metal Gear game has had its dump of exposition during the finale. Liquid's super baby method. Solidus' recounting his history in Liberia and the Patriot AI codec call. The Boss and her travels in space. Big Boss' epilogue with Old Snaker. Even Armstrong got his moment in the spotlight between kicking the shit out of Raiden numerous times.

The difference between those and the Phantom Pain is presentation. Each exposition is a conversation and reaches for certain emotion from the listener. Sadness (3 and 4), to anger (1), to revenge and prescient horror (2).

Unfortunately, TPP serves up a man who has had less than half a game's worth of conflict with Venom and an antagonist who has barely spoken three sentences to our character, yet tried to murder him numerous times. This hollow man with a skull for a face rides with you in the back of a jeep in the desert, a sight you've just experienced for 10+hours already. He explains his master plan to revenge himself on Zero to a mute and stone-faced Venom as they carpool to Sally's hangar. It leads, not to a blood-boiling fist fight for supremacy, freedom or the mission, but to a quick bait-and-switch of antagoniser (Skull Face is buried under metal while Eli and Gas Mask hi-jack Sally) ending in the predictable fight with a Metal Gear.

I've played and completed each game in the series multiple times but this final installment just fell flat for me and I found it hard to feel anything but the same apathy Venom applies as we Fulton'd our way through large, empty maps.
>>
>>337906658
It kind of did show that though, albeit less directly than people were anticipating. But the fact people were so excited to see a game as seemingly heavy-handed as the trailers suggested (Big Boss has a horn and is covered in blood! So evil! What a demon!) says a lot about this fanbase.

The reality is that both MGS3's ending and Peace Walker's suggested his fall to villainy and that all these fucking prequels were terrible ideas anyway.
>>
File: 2015-11-04_00009.jpg (298 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-04_00009.jpg
298 KB, 1920x1080
>>337906847
I'm not your buddy, fuck you guy. I just noticed it and took a screeny.
>>
>>337906938
Yes, and that's because it is busy work. The game is unfinished, so they had to pad the gametime somehow. It's so bad that the development time for shit is done in REALTIME. Grinding is what made me love MG, Kojima. Thank you for this.
>>
File: 2015-11-04_00010.jpg (307 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-04_00010.jpg
307 KB, 1920x1080
>>337907036
>>
>>337906938
Unfortunately, I loved the Mother Base mechanic. I was so blown away by the mechanic in Peace Walker, I did NOT expect it, and as Miller kept updating me with new features such as the Mess Hall, weapon development, MG building, etc... It was so great, it really held a lot of room for imagination. No game had me so surprised yet so happy with game mechanics so far. It was shittified in TPP though.

It didn't felt much of a grind quest in PW.
>>
>>337906865
having that content doesnt necessarily make it good. a lot of peoples complaints would still exist: story is finished but still has pacing issues, venom doesnt talk, skullface is a weak villain, lack of bosses, development times, shitty online, the fact that we dont play as big boss or see whats going on with him etc
>>
File: 2015-11-04_00011.jpg (182 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-04_00011.jpg
182 KB, 1920x1080
>>337907105
>>
>>337889601
I miss Uncle Dante.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolarynx

huge part of skull face's plan rendered pointless by a device invented in the 1920s.
>>
>>337907116
Playing through the game was pure agony for me. So many of the missions are nearly exactly the same, just in a different location. Sometimes they are in the same location and there are only two maps. To make it worse, the game drops you hundreds of meters away from your target, so you have to waste time getting over there, further padding the gametime. I would've much rather had a better handcrafted experience with unique missions and locations even if that meant less missions overall.
>>
>>337902819
That was a surprisingly meaningful, well-versed explanation and I'm copypasting it whenever the next person inevitably says "Jeep scene wasn't bad, every MGS game has a Jeep scene!"
>>
>>337892904
>>337893182
Same here. I've seen worse in video games, but that scene made me cringe.
>>
>>337906938
I enjoyed it in Peace Walker, but not really here for some reason.

Could just be because it was roughly the same thing twice, or it got even more convoluted with having even more units, the addition of building materials, and the shitty expansion invasion thing you couldn't turn off.
>>
>>337906656
MGSV isn't about Big Boss's downfall and was never going to be, it's about the circle of revenge, and what people are willing to do for payback. A bunch of missions in MGSV are direct results of your own actions coming back to bite you in the ass. The running theme of the game is that people feel their own asshole actions are justified because that other guy is also being an asshole which means it's ok for me to be dick too. This point is driven completely home during the ending when you realize Big Boss is a complete fucking dick who sold out his own men just so he could be one step ahead of the competition.

It's presented poorly, but that's why the chapters are called REVENGE and RACE (as in: race to the finish line.)
>>
>>337906938
i enjoyed it as an improved version of what they had in peace walker. its ingrained in the gameplay by being linked to weapon development and so on, encouraging stealth to a degree and if the story had been actually about big boss and outer heaven, seeing how he built up the nation.

i wish there were more animals, vehicles, more to do on mother base, etc. its not perfect but it wasnt a hassle at all.

but really though how do you go to africa and the most you can get are zebras and okapis? no giraffes or lions or gazelle or elephants or hippos etc etc? instead we get 40 small reptiles and marsupials only capturabke by the cage ie theyre are not actually in the game
>>
>>337907346
that's like the 1 out of 3 only kind things a /v/ dude said to me. i rushed the shit out of the paragraph tho.

but do whatever you want mang. rock on.
>>
>>337907205
dmc5 soon
>>
>>337887303
No, the Johnny/Murl marriage proposal scene is.
>>
>>337894708
Fucking awesome
>>
>>337894708

I don't think there's a single part of MGS3 that sucks. Except maybe the fear.
>>
>>337907360
Peace Walker had a greater sense of momentum in general. Missions were more varied and also didn't take as long and the level design was pretty admirable in terms of enemy placement and geometry. Levels like the crater base or whatever are classic Metal Gear. (PW has a fuckload of balancing issues of course, but nonetheless. So does V anyway.) I think these variables made Mother Base less irritating.
>>
GREATEST

CUTSCENE

EVER DIRECTED

BY KOJIMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JuR7jnO6Dk
>>
>>337907114

The Mother Base mechanic would have been more fun if shit actually happened or if there were more areas to explore and have fun. Like what the fuck is the point of the R&D platform when it's incredibly empty most of the time? After Huey is gone there's nothing. No battle gear, no different vehicles around the A.I. pod, nothing.

What is the point of everything on MB? No air attacks to use your AA guns on, no event to use your big ass radar on the Intel platform, no recreation area or mess hall to hold idle models of Ocelot, Miller, Codetalker, etc. None of your soldiers do anything, they don't put on ponchos when it's raining, they have the default armor/weapons, etc.

Like it's so fucking boring dude, this was the time were you had a team of other soldiers that would fight with you, why couldn't the mosquito fob invasion be in real time as you had 4-6 soldiers follow you? They had something like this in MGS4 where you could help the factions why not here?
>>
>>337907373
I dunno man, I feel like that could have been much more powerful if told directly, or directly incorporated into Big Boss's character -- as someone who wants revenge on an unjust world, and in doing so, builds Outer Heaven, rather than in the weird phantom plot they decided to tell instead.

I often wonder how much nuance is lost in Kojima's writing during translation, giving us these clumsy but interesting stories
>>
Does anyone here own MGS V on the PS3 or 360? How does it run?
>>
>>337907373
Venom never really did anything wrong though. You can even go through the game without killing anyone. Considering that Skullface and XOF were gonna go on a massive genocide, Venom's actions are pretty justifiable. He also performs many heroic acts, such as saving POWs and child soldiers.

Big Boss was a dick, but Zero already had this plan going and he figured he might as well go along with it. It was mean, but it doesn't explain why he'd go out and steal the secret for making cheap oil and holding it hostage while also constructing ANOTHER Metal Gear.
>>
>>337908050
i dont have MGSV but GZ runs pretty well so theres that
>>
>MGSV Phantom Pain
>new players: love MGSV, but want more ----> phantom pain
>old players: hate MGSV, didnt got what they wanted ----> phantom pain

Kojima may be a hack, but he's the smartest hack I know.
>>
>>337908053
>It was mean, but it doesn't explain why he'd go out and steal the secret for making cheap oil and holding it hostage while also constructing ANOTHER Metal Gear.
Good thing Big Boss explains why himself in MG2 then, huh?
>>
>>337907858
>That music
>That subtle way the cutscene tells you where to go.
>That atmosphere
>Skull Face and XOF being mysterious as fuck.
It really is.

Shame nothing after the Hospital sequence came close to this.
>>
>>337908086
Yeah the game looks amazing on 360 for a 360 game. It runs pretty good just at a slower framerate
>>
>>337908156
What about the game being unfinished? Is that a phantom pain? I mean obviously that was the point all along, right?
>>
>>337908053
What about all those infected motherbase personnel he euthanizes?
I know it's not strictly wrong and they were going to die anyway
But it is technically killing
>>
>>337908224
Nicola and Bart is such a fucking good song. Slap it into any political game and it already has 10/10 atmosphere. Fuck. I feel like that was Kojima's first try in directing a cutscene with the Fox Engine, that's why it's so good.
>>
File: woooooow.png (740 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
woooooow.png
740 KB, 1280x720
>>337898098
>And the few times he does react makes him completely schizophrenically written character.

That's the point.
Were you in a coma?
>>
How much of MGSV do you reckon was deliberately disappointing, in keeping with an interpretation of the game as "phantom pain": the feeling of loss and an inability to mitigate that pain?

If you think this is the case, do you think Kojima started the game with that idea in mind, or was it one that he chose to tell as corporate conflicts prevented him from telling the original story -- i.e. Kojima knew ahead of time that it would no longer be feasible to complete the game and story he intended to create without enormous chunks of crucial detail missing, and so instead told a story that reflected his own situation and that of longtime fans of the series: a lack of closure?
>>
>>337908356
It's repetive and simple lyrics, melancholic tone and upbeat tempo also makes it perfect for setting the mood of what is basically a bunch of jeeps going up a hill at night.
>>
>>337908205
To create war? That's Big Boss' entire character in MG2. He's just a warmonger that also raises child soldiers. That's it. You don't get to see this transformation in MGSV. There's barely a point to this game. This game was advertised as the MISSING LINK, but the only link between this game comes at the VERY END in the true ending that pops up out of NOWHERE. BTW you're not big boss and he's creating Outer Heaven. The end. Truly the missing link we've been waiting for.
>>
File: 1463448639551.jpg (19 KB, 316x350) Image search: [Google]
1463448639551.jpg
19 KB, 316x350
>>337908224
>>337907858
>that opening cutscene
>them heavy hard hitting political undertones
>those soldier conversations
>the main menu with snake smoking
>that vertical slice-tier level design
>the tragic masked Abu Ghraib-tier prisoners
>"I... owe you... my life.."
>non boring cassette tapes with non boring conversations between Miller and Snake that actually builds up the plot
>that unparalleled atmosphere
>those god-tier "side ops"

I'm not saying GZ is a better game than TPP, TPP had a lot more to offer but..

Damn.,,
>>
>>337908481
>it's shit on purpose
>don't you get it guys it's symbolic

Fucking pretentious shit why is this allowed
>>
>>337908436
>The point is for him to be a badly written character.

?
>>
>>337908259
For a tale that ostensibly was going to be about the downfall of a man, the mercy killing of terminally-ill and contagious men is like dipping your toe in the pool of "moral ambiguity". It's like the plot writers were too attached to their character as a good guy to let him actually descend into villainy.
>>
>>337908481
Skull Face's demise was deliberately made underwhelming. Aside from that most of the game's issues stem naturally from being an open-world game that emphasizes player agency in a clumsy way at the cost of a lot of things. Like pacing and level design. There's nothing to gain from over-thinking it.
>>
>>337908634
>Skull Face's demise was deliberately made underwhelming

i don't mind that

what i mind is skullface being a stupid and disappointing and badly written villain

he could have been a god tier GZ villain and i wouldnt mind if his dead was unsatisfying
>>
>>337902553
The best part of all this shit is someone telling Venom about the psychic child via a tape recording and his reaction is

"ESP? C'mon dude, that's far fetched."

YOU FOUGHT A MAN WHO USES BEES AS A WEAPON

WHAT THE FUCK DUDE

Men who shoot lightning? Yeah sure, whatever. Psychic powers? Woah dude, that's a bridge too far
>>
>>337908536
>To create war? That's Big Boss' entire character in MG2. He's just a warmonger that also raises child soldiers. That's it.
That's all he needed to be. He was just a broken man that represented the egocentrism and myopia frequently found in war. He was essentially an exaggerated Kurtz.
>You don't get to see this transformation
Because MGS3 and PW in particular already implied it. There was really nothing left to show.

I'm not saying MGSV is good. It isn't. But the entire MISSING LINK obsession was, and remains, stupid.
>>
>>337908713
Some day I'm going to make a video analysing why MGSV failed. One that won't just be obvious stuff like "this was supposed to be the story of Big Boss utter downfall and it wasn't." and "Quiet and Ocelot sucked"
>>
>>337908583
>it's shit on purpose
>don't you get it guys it's symbolic

I'm the original poster of that post. I don't buy that theory either to be honest, it's just a potential interpretation of the plot.

That Nietzsche quote on the Man Who Sold the World mission really kind of says "eh fuck it, it's whatever you want it to be man. why not?"
>>
>>337908536
>Truly the missing link we've been waiting for.
Oh it makes sense now, you got into mgs recently right?.
Nobody else would fall for the missing link shit after it's been slapped on everything since PO.
>>
>>337908864
>YOU FOUGHT A MAN WHO USES BEES AS A WEAPON

Well, technically that wasn't Venom, but he thought he did those things.
>>
>>337908870
>Because MGS3 and PW in particular already implied it
Everything in V that wasn't already heavily implied was fucking stupid as shit, because everything interesting about that time period was pretty heavily implied.
>>
>>337887303

It would have been better if the music had been a little louder at the start. And give Snake some scripted animations for that segment instead of just awkwardly looking around
>>
Making the MGS3 crew the Patriots was a mistake
>>
>>337887303
I still can't believe they didn't do anything with the whole 1984 theme with Orwell and "snake is watching you" all over the base.

God dammit this game was such a let down
>>
>>337904542

You can't write. It's a risk due to vocal chord movements that occur when you think in the words.

Quiet had the advantage of being dual lingual already so she could just think in navajo.
>>
The torture scenes with Huey made fuck-all sense. He lies randomly, and witholds information for no reason. Ocelot and Miller both have a method of interrogation that is essentially "let's reach for something, justify it in a really tenuous way, and then act like its conclusive to see if it breaks him".

Then, when Huey does say something that massively contradicts what he'd previously said, neither dude presses the issue or exclaims something like "aha, gotcha" or "i knew it" or some shit. It was some of the most weirdly written shit in the game. Huey behaves in a enormously erratic manner for no reason, and nobody mentions how weird that is. It's not even him that caused Motherbase to be blown to shit in GZ, so it's not like he's acting to protect himself.
>>
>>337887303
>Is this the most retarded scene in all of Metal Gear?

I found this more interesting than Arsenal Gear because you finally got to have a talk with the bad guy.
>>
>>337908870
The MISSING LINK was what this game was advertised as. I say that because it was directly in the trailers.

And if it wasn't, then what WAS the game for? While I can buy that Big Boss is a cynical dick, nothing in ANY of these games implies that he would become a massive warmonger, raise child soldiers, and then steal the secret for making cheap oil and holding it over the world's head during an energy crisis with nuclear weapons. Venom, despite being quite heroic and an overall nice guy, also turns into an evil guy out of nowhere and I'm supposed to buy into this. No, just no.
>>
>>337909342
get those electric vocal chords that people with throat cancer have.
problem solved.

unless in mgs world they can build wormholes but not a small vibrating box.
>>
>>337909161
This is why we didn't need MGSV.
>>
>>337909251
this.

they were just some goofy, friendly rank-and-file intel operators. when storylines start using a small cast of characters, repeatedly placing them in important events, it makes the game universe feel so small and coincidental.
>>
>>337909415

Those didn't exist until the 90s and all they do is amplify the sound of your vocal chords.
>>
>>337909630
wrong on both counts.
they vibrate in place of vocal chords.
they were invented in the 1920s.
>>
>>337909719

>vibrate in place of vocal chords

Then how do they know what to say?
>>
I think MGS gets a pass for all of its absurdity, and has the relatively small granules of interesting plot relentlessly picked apart because gaming is a bit starved when it comes to cerebral or complex story-telling compared to other media. Literature is inundated with stories that deal with subjectivity, post-modernism, war and peace, nuclear deterrence, revenge, etc.

So when a videogame comes along that so much as glances at this shit, people will pore over it because there really is fuck all else to pore over when it comes to videogame narratives of this type. MGS is goofy, absurd and extremely obtuse/clumsy/heavy-handed in its delivery, but it does attempt to address this shit, which immediately elevates it to "good story"-tier within videogaming as a whole. I suppose it also helps that the characters are often loveable in some way.

I wonder how much finesse Kojima and the other writers unintentionally sacrifice in the translation of the writing from Japanese to English. If Kojima could hear the flow of a conversation from the perspective of an English speaker, how would he feel? Like that bit in MGS3, right before Snake is about to descend into grozny grad to stop the shagohod, going over the game plan with Eva. She just abruptly interrupts him with "Do you love me?" Bitch, what the fuck are you on about? I met you less than a day ago. We need to stop this man from starting nuclear war. Get your head in the game, goddamn
>>
Such a lust for revenge
>>
elevator scene
>>
>>337909839
that's what your mouth is for champ.
>>
Can we agree that GZ is better? I can't believe I'm saying this.
>>
>>337909268
Kojimbo just wanted you to know he read the book.
>>337909398
>advertising
So what?
>what WAS the game for?
A way of giving the player "Big Boss" despite revolving around player agency and the fact there really wasn't any room in the story for another Big Boss game. It's why Venom and Skull Face are both basically irrelevant footnotes in the canon.
>nothing in ANY of these games implies
I have a feeling you're one of those that wouldn't settle for anything less than Big Boss outwardly declaring "I am a villain now! Bring on the whores and child soldiers!" or something. Even in MGS3 he's depicted as oddly fixated on combat. It's his only real character trait aside from eating shit he finds outside. Said game also ends with him broken and betrayed with nothing else going for him, just like he says in MG2. PW has him actually making "Outer Heaven" and declaring an amoral presence. Put the pieces together.
>Venom, despite being quite heroic and an overall nice guy
The entire point of Venom is that he's lost his identity in favor of being utterly loyal to Big Boss. He finds out the truth but goes through with everything anyway. That's the point. It's his only real quality.
>>
>>337910091
Yes, actually
>>
>>337908997
please criticize the gameplay if you must. its overrated. when people say good gameplay they most mean good kinesthetics.
>>
>>337910091
Only because it doesn't have fulton.
>>
>>337910152
>>337910091
see
>>337908576
>>
>>337910161
I fully intend to.
>>
>>337910293
a-are you matthewmatosis :3

joke, but good luck on your project
>>
>>337910091
People only think GZ is better because it was the vertical slice that filled you with infinite hopes and possibilities.

Ground Zeroes was the dream.
Phantom Pain was reality.
>>
>>337910146
>advertising
>so what?

>But the entire MISSING LINK obsession was, and remains, stupid.

This is why the "obession" was not stupid. It was how the plot was presented before its release. It wasn't unreasonable to expect the plot to explicity portray the downfall of Big Boss, the missing link being the description of just how he became this extremely malevolent dude. While this was implied by the ending of 3 and PW, it would still be very interesting to see exactly how or when this man became quite so amoral. 3 and PW just show someone who is starting their first steps on a path that shuns a world which has disappointed and exploited him.

I'm not saying that 5 was necessary, in fact I'd have preferred if it all ended at 3, and left it as implied information. Just that the initial presentation of this story as a "missing link" was a thing.
>>
>>337910476
Nah. I've never really done anything like this before, though, so it'll take some time.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.