[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Splinter Cell thread, fuckers/ What are you excited about for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 22
File: hqdefault.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
Splinter Cell thread, fuckers/ What are you excited about for the next release?
>>
>>337875901
I liked Blacklist just not to keen on the new VA, but yeah I still want more.
>>
>>337876134
I legitimately hope they have a different protag for this game.
>>
Is the Trilogy HD Collection good?

Also, should I play the first two games, or am I safe jumping right into Chaos Theory?
>>
Huge fan of the series, but I thought Conviction was a huge disappointment.

Are they making a sequel?

If they are, can they PLEASE bring back Michael Ironside?
>>
>>337877762
I'm curious about this as well, I have Chaos Theory on PC and only that. I've played Conviction and Blacklist.
>>
>>337877762
Chaos Theory in my opinion is the best right next to Blacklist (which I actually liked)
>>
I had more fun playing Pandoras MP then any other MP I've played since
>>
>>337877762
You're fine jumping right into chaos theory. The HD collection is very barebones, only a resolution upgrade. If you're curious, you can play the first on PC for the same effect. Pandora is broken on PC but it doesn't really deliver anything that exciting. Starting with Chaos is fine.
>>
So with the Splinter Cell movie coming out, is anyone hoping for a Tom Clancy vidya cinematic universe? Imagine a Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six movie in the same universe, and then have a nick fury type commander that ties them all together.
>>
>>337877875
GOD NO! They need to let Sam rest. He's almost 60 if not 60 in Blacklist. They fucked up. Ubisoft needs to let another character take the reins
>>
>>337875901
I'm not.

Chaos Theory was a long time ago and Splinter Cell will never be that well-paced, well written, or well acted ever again.
>>
File: 1460860405862.jpg (155 KB, 753x706) Image search: [Google]
1460860405862.jpg
155 KB, 753x706
>>337878430
They should have done that with the voice actor change in the first place.

Have Sam be the Lambert-figure to this new agent and give them that same chemistry.

Oh wait, that would have taken a staff with talent...
>>
>>337877762
play the first game, skip pandora tomorrow.
>>
>>337877424
agreed, have ironsam as new lambert, fuk briggs, let us play Kestrel or something. If they hadn't killed off Archer I would be down for playing him agian.
>>
Haven't had a good game in 10+ yeare. I expect nothing.
>>
I'm not excited for the next release if it's going to be like Blacklist.

The series has changed from stealth-action to stealthy-action, if that makes sense. I miss doing methodical stealth playthroughs where being a ghost was the key and there were few forced moments and action sequences.

The closest thing to an action sequence in the original SC was the Oil Tanker getting bombed. And even then you were better off creeping around the flames than running around gunning people down like a madman.
>>
Pandoras online MP was the only game to do something innovative with FPS online multiplayer. Playing as a spy and landing crazy stealth kills on guard players were amazing. It was like fighting ninjas
>>
I hope there is a shower scene where you have to sneak through a locker room naked
>>
>>337879047
>Oil Tanker
*excuse me Oil Drilling Platform
>>
>>337879096
>It was like fighting ninjas
Wow, a real live ninja!
>>
>>337878910
it's weird they kept Kestrel alive canonically when the ending of Conviction seemed to be designed to clearly kill both Kestrel and Archer off.
>>
>>337876134
>>337877424
You guys ready for a female Splinter Cell?
>>
>>337879478
Yeah, besides doesnt kestrel only show up in some co op mission where you pull him out of a coma or something?
Actually, canonically what happens to the co op spies from Chaos Theory? I never was able to finish it, did they survive?
>>
>>337879685
like i care, just as long as it is made well
>>
File: bob-and-steve.png (186 KB, 655x484) Image search: [Google]
bob-and-steve.png
186 KB, 655x484
>>337875901
Bob and Steve co-op splinter cell game when
>>
Conviction and blacklist were objectively the best splinter cell games
>>
File: Chaos_theory.jpg (115 KB, 640x921) Image search: [Google]
Chaos_theory.jpg
115 KB, 640x921
I'm remember playing Chaos Theory on the OG Xbox thinking the graphics were so good. It was one of those games that made the Xbox feel like an entirely different machine.

A while ago I got the HD collection on PS3. Played through both the original Splinter Cell and Pandora Tomorrow. Which was fun. But then moving onto Chaos Theory after just playing through those two made me realize what a huge jump that game was in both gameplay mechanics and visuals.

Thread Theme:
https://youtu.be/T1w8RyqyzlI

I also really liked Double Agent, which I played on the 360 in it's infancy.
I haven't played any Splinter Cell game past that.
>>
>>337879839
Those missions were the tits
>>
>>337879685
Please no. The whole ITS LE PC AGE GUYZ WE NEED STRONG FEMALE meme is getting old.
>>
>>337879685
could be cool, honestly. just make it a good fucking game and I don't care
>>
>>337879839
Miss those guys
>>
Blacklist was sick. Next one needs to be more chaos theory and less conviction. Blacklist was like 70/30. Needs to be 100/0
>>
>>337880023
a friend and I would just spend hours fucking around and setting up action movie tier ambushes

damn, Chaos Theory was GOAT
>>
Whatever it is i hope it isn't another stupid ass desert stealth game. Sneaking through indoors is way better than the fucking desert.
>>
>>337879685
I might be okay with this.
>>
File: 8years.png (100 KB, 258x335) Image search: [Google]
8years.png
100 KB, 258x335
>Pandora tomorrow
>that part where you have to take the guy hostage mid speech
>tearing my hair out trying to figure out how the hell to do it
>you actually just had to use a stun round that was barely mentioned like 3 levels ago
>>
>>337879741
yeah, they survive. canonically, Special Agent Bob and Secret Agent Steve are the ones who always stop shit from going down with the JBA offscreen using the information you leak back to Third Echelon.
>>
>>337879685
Only if they let you view her ass when she's crawling through vents.
>>
File: 122354254737.jpg (162 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
122354254737.jpg
162 KB, 1366x768
>>337880335
Same man. They wrere a great way to bro down.

>dude you take the guy on the left I'll take the guy on the right
>totally bro
>on 3
>one
>two
>POP
>miss
>"CONTACT"
>mfw
>>
>>337875901
Well it's been an increasingly shitty series so not really.
>>
File: 60405_front.jpg (70 KB, 640x580) Image search: [Google]
60405_front.jpg
70 KB, 640x580
I liked Chaos Theory so much I played this version. Which was a PORT of the N-Gage version.
>>
>>337877875
>can they PLEASE bring back Michael Ironside?

Michael Ironside doesn't want to do Splinter Cell anymore.

He actually never really cared much for it. He's stated initially he only took the job for the cash and then when he saw what he had signed on for he tried to back out of the deal but Ubisoft convinced him to stay on and they had to make some changes to the character of Sam in order for him to do so.

He's doesn't play games. He doesn't care about Splinter Cell or Sam. He has no interest in ever doing it again.

I do find it odd that he found how violent the games are objectionable when you consider the sorts of films he's appeared in. But then, he does seem to be one of those sorts that mostly thinks of acting as a job, not an artform, and just does what he can to make money.
>>
>>337878778
Or brains. Blacklist is a decent game, however it shouldn't have been Sam. That was their big mistake.

It could have honestly been perfect... if they didn't use Sam as the main protag.

>>337878847
Mostly this. Pandora Tomorrow is fun... Sort of. It was made by a different team of people while the original developers completely redid the engine for Chaos Theory to be possible.

The level design is a lot more... Chunky. If that makes sense. It's obvious they made it in chunks and made it so there was really only one way to go about things.It's awkward compared to 1 and 3.

>>337878910
Briggs wouldn't be a terrible protagonist, really. It would make sense at least story-wise Stop being a fucking racist cuck. He's the whitest black man you'll ever see depicted in media.

>>337879883
Replace conviction with Chaos Theory/Double Agent on original XBox and you're right. Conviction was a great game... Just shouldn't have been called a Splinter Cell game.

>>337880313
How about 60/40?? Or 70/30 in favor of Chaos Theory??
>>
>>337880468
Nope, first person only, like chaos theory.
>>
>>337882015
Something tells me you need to replay Chaos Theory... Because it wasn't first person.
>>
>>337882549
in vents you would go first person
>>
>>337882015
Then what's the point of playing as a girl?
>>
>>337879047
you're forgetting about Kalinatek, when you take the elevator up to the roof you have to kill all of the guards so the Osprey can land.
>>
>>337875901
I'm not excited. After conviction, and even worse yes worse, blacklist, splinter cell is dead and buried to me. SC1/PT/CT were on another level and I still every so often play through each. I played through blacklist and conviction each once, on the hardest difficulty ("hard" my arse) and never again. Both trash. Anyone who says blackshit is a "return to form" is wasting good air when they breathe.
>>
>>337882549
I meant the vent parts, it was pretty much first person right, I mean... right? I feel like it was FP and then I feel like I remember seeing a bit of his side face but I am not sure, it's been a while.
>>
>>337882742
I don't know, shake things up I guess, make your established franchise crash and burn? I dunno.
>>
>>337881329
i don't think this is entirely true, i remember watching an interview with him after conviction came out and he said he didn't like the way they had changed Sam to become more violent. i don't remember him ever saying anything about disliking Sam from the start. they were trying to change Sam's character to something worse in typical Ubisoft fashion and he didn't like that.
>>
>Splinter Cell avoided Ubisoft turning it into a yearly series like Ass Creed or soon to be Far Cry.
Feels good lads
>>
>>337875901
I'm excited to see Sam Fisher looking like a 19 year old young man at the age of 60 and finally getting answers on his Benjamin button disease
>>
>>337883429
My question is why? Is it hard to annualize SC or does a section of Ubi actually care about Splinter Cell?
>>
>>337881329
>>337883002

Its just made me realize how having a snarky MC is INTEGRAL to making a good stealth game.

A stealth game isn't supposed to make you feel like a badass, its supposed to make you feel like a smartass.
>>
>>337882682
No, it wouldn't. It would just go to a very close shoulder view.

>>337882890
Nope, you could pretty much get a full view of Sam's head.

>>337883002
>actors never get paid to lie
Okay, buddy.
>>
>>337875901
i never really played a splinter cell before conviction. yeah i'm one of those. i actually found conviction to be a really well made game. it was nice to be able to go through every stage killing the smallest amount of people possible. the co-op mode was one of the finest i'd ever played, but again, this comes from a perspective of having never played the originals.
>>
>>337883621
Maybe it has to do with the "Tom Clancy" name attached otherwise they might.
I hope your guess is right though, about them caring.
>>
>>337883621
Stop entertaining the idea, shut the fuck up and drop the subject.
>>
>>337883640
I feel like it's a little bit of both. My only real complaint with Blacklist was the fact the voice actor sounded like he was maybe in his mid 30's.

Sam Fisher has always been a badass. Blacklist just made him a baby voiced badass.

>>337883621
I think it's a little bit of the team caring and a little bit of the fact Splinter Cell doesn't sell quite as well as their other franchises.
>>
>>337883694
why the hell would they care what he said about the series after he had already wrapped up his last game? nobody paid him to say that, it was sincere. Sam was a great character in the old games there's no reason why Ironside wouldn't have liked him.
>>
>>337883002
>i don't remember him ever saying anything about disliking Sam from the start
>When I got the script, it was very stiff, very inflexible, and very blood and violent. And I didn't want to do it. And told them I was going to give them back their money. They asked me what would it take to keep me on the project, and i said we would have to change the character, and give him some type of humanity.

Michael Ironside did an AMA on reddit and from the way he talked it was apparent he never really thought much of Splinter Cell. He outright stated he is a pacifist, he doesn't believe in killing, and the point of Splinter Cell is killing, i.e. the "fifth freedom". In reference to the violent characters he plays he talks about the fact that he considers those characters to be "damaged" people and they almost always die horribly as a result of their violence. Sam Fisher, on the other hand, is portrayed as a hero.

Ubisoft never even asked him to appear in Blacklist and he did not care that they didn't.
>>
>>337883979
>caring
If ubisoft wanted they would cod the shit out of sc, its solely because it doesn't sell as much as far cry and ac, that's all.
>>
>>337884076
Rabid fanbase not getting what they want can be bad for business sometimes so they play it safe.
There's a quote about the games shift to full mocap that contradicts ironside, it started as a suggestion by Nolan north when working on ac revelations and jade being involved in both franchises was the final nail.
>>
>>337884178
I honestly don't think that Ubisoft is quite as bad as people seem to let on. Their animations are some of the best I have seen in video games aside from sports games. I think they genuinely wanted to do right by Blacklist, and it's a lot closer to the status quo than Conviction was, even though I enjoyed that game.
>>
>>337876134
Blacklist should have been Sam in Lamberts role with a new operative.
>>
>>337884779
100% agree with this statement. Unfortunately I feel like they were kind of rushed and needed to use Sam for one last Hoorah. Ubi, I mean. Briggs is going to be the next protag.
>>
bump?
>>
>>337884158
The point in splinter cell isn't killing at all, though.

Sam goes out of his way to do things even against orders like saving the pilots in Seoul, Lambert says "you'll get no medals for this" which Sam Replies with "Medals don't help me sleep at night" if he can save two lives then that's a job well done, however, he's not going out of his way to hurt people unless you force that into the game through the way you play, in which case, you are most likely punished through firefights.

That Doesn't suggest violence at all in any way, and you could say that he has the options to be violent but then the more subtle and experienced side of sam comes out in interrogations where he uses intimidation tactics in order to avoid hurting people so he can make everyone's lives a bit easier.

>>337883640
he's not snarky at all, he's dulled and jaded, I'd even say subdued or tired and has just about had enough of it by chaos theory.
>>
>>337884689
the fact that they thought they had to change anything to begin with goes to show how retarded they are. hey, let's take a series with a niche fanbase and turn it into a mainstream shooter, that'll fucking go over well, won't it guise? retarded. retarded. r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d. mental deficiencies.
>>
File: 1455267725448.jpg (31 KB, 449x546) Image search: [Google]
1455267725448.jpg
31 KB, 449x546
>there will never be another SC game with Amon Tobin's soundtrack
>there will never be another AssCreed with Jesper Kyd's soundtrack

https://youtu.be/0CWlgDDLUeQ
https://youtu.be/9SzhjG6OkvI
>>
File: 1462654605430.jpg (89 KB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
1462654605430.jpg
89 KB, 600x324
>>337880632
>PORT of the N-Gage version
>>
>>337884779
no he should have been gone entirely. conviction, as terrible as it was, it was a great ending for Sam's character. he tells Grim he's done, and that's that. so long, old friend. your fight is over. be with your daughter. perfect ending.
>>
>>337886539
>let's try and appeal to a wider audience to make more money on this series everybody wants to keep around

That's not retarded, that's business. And for people who loved conviction I'm sure that Blacklist was a step back, while for some it was a step in the right direction. A small step, but a step nonetheless.
>>
>>337886337

You can thank Michael Ironside for those little moments but make no mistake, Sam Fisher is ultimately just a government assassin.

A Splinter Cell is basically the American version of a 00 agent, the ones who are allowed to operate outside the law and to kill.
>>
>>337886821
no, good business would have been realizing that Double Agent's less than stellar reception was a WARNING SIGN to NOT change the series. ubisoft is fucking retarded and so are you for defending their retardation.
>>
>>337886906
Yes he's allowed to kill but even then he does nothing in the way of promoting it, the mechanics don't promote it, the story and some levels don't promote it and no characters promote it.

I don't think he's a cold-hearted assassin, you could argue that he is a cold-hearted man but i just think he's a bit more emotionally deadened from the things he's seen, he knows he can't take stupid risks and be brash and that everything he does is a life and death scenario. He can kill sure, it's not near the top of his list

It's up to the player to decide what to do with the tools they are given, again that freedom comes with options and depending on your actions, costs and or hurdles you will have to navigate.

if there was a book about sam specifically, i imagine he would feel remorse for killing and it would in no way serve to promote his actions.
>>
They're not making a new Splinter Cell.
Blacklist underperformed.
Ubisoft doesn't need SC anymore after the money AC and now The Division makes them.
Stealth is niche and can't really be made to appeal to broad audiences, which is all any big publisher wants. They tried with Blacklist and all it did was piss off established fans while laymen were largely disinterested.

I love Splinter Cell. All of them. But it's over.
>>
>>337887325
stealth isn't niche, it's used in shitloads of mainstream games. also one of the most popular game series of all time is stealth. the problem with splinter cell is it's too old school for modern gamers. modern gamers need a cinematic storyline to follow, if the game just has gameplay and nothing else, they will not be interested.
>>
>The goggles glow less with each installmenet

It's like a metaphor or something.

>>337877875
Wasn't conviction radically different on PS2 compared to PC/360? I remember really liking the PS2 version.
>>
File: 51PE42D0SQL.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51PE42D0SQL.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
Watch out, best video game soundtrack comin through
>>
>>337887460
You're right in that stealth has managed to find its way into many mainstream games, but none are as focused and hardcore as SC traditionally has been. And if there is stealth, devs have to design the game such that playing the game as an action game is viable, see Deus Ex and Dishonored. Most people don't like trial and error.
>>
>>337887523
>Wasn't conviction radically different on PS2

You're thinking of Double Agent
>>
>>337887702
playing splinter cell as an action game is viable too. interestingly, even after all the lengths they went to make Conviction into a fast paced shooter, i still think Chaos Theory has better lethal combat than any of the other games in the series.
>>
>>337887894
My point is that Ubisoft has no reason to make a new Splinter Cell given the changes to the market since SC's heyday. Games got outrageously expensive to make, and making games that cater to a specific audience is a thing of the past. There simply isn't enough money in it.

Sorry about the trip, I made a post elsewhere wherein Justice League went in all fields.
>>
Have you guys seen the playthrough of and commentary on the Bank level by its level designers yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMhgNi7X53c
>>
>>337887227

You're missing what I'm saying.

The background of the game, all the "lore" and shit, is that Splinter Cells are basically sociopaths, people who do anything and everything in order to "protect their country". Now I suppose if you are a hardcore nationalist you don't see the problem with that but most people consider that sort of thing to be extremist.

When Michael Ironside first read the script to Splinter Cell he was unhappy with it, he thought it was so bad he was going to give the money back and quit. They asked him what would make him stay and he said "A bit of humanity".

You keep saying it's not so bad but all you have to work from is the games AFTER the changes Michael Ironside requested were implemented, you don't know what it was like before then.
>>
File: skin_1406018189_760px_45793_1.jpg (22 KB, 750x442) Image search: [Google]
skin_1406018189_760px_45793_1.jpg
22 KB, 750x442
>>337875901
Hell yeah I'm exited
>>
>>337888342
No, because what the games are is what the games are and what the games were isn't what they are, so I needn't take that into consideration when talking about what the games are, it's not relevant, it's information pertaining to the development history, I can agree to that but that's not how the games are presented in its final version so I will not supplement the nature of sam to a pre-existing one that is not presented in the final version of these games because not everyone has access to that knowledge and neither is it concrete as it is represented nowhere in the final form.
>>
>>337889367

Sam Fisher is a soldier who kills for his country and that includes doing extrajudicial killings that the player has no choice about. Yes, he has a wife and daughter and is a nice guy on the weekends and all that shit but that doesn't change the fact that he is a government assassin. There are numerous assassinations that he performs in the games that the player has no choice about and the game promotes as the only option and a good thing to do.

Just because he doesn't make snarky comments about killing like Duke Nukem doesn't mean he's not a bit of a mean guy.

I think that was kind of the point being made in Double Agent and Conviction, for all the shit those games gets. We are not talking about just some poor infantry guy looking to serve, we are talking about an elite killer.
>>
>>337886965
Nah, good business is trying to cater to as many people as possible. Double Agent didn't do so hot, so they tried something else, then Conviction didn't do so hot, so they tried something a little bit old and new school.

I'm sorry you're so jaded and offended that they tried to cater to more people so we can get more Splinter Cell games. Otherwise... well, we wouldn't get anymore Splinter Cell games.

>>337887325
They've already said they're working on another Splinter Cell game.
>>
I skipped pandora tomorrow way back when i saw trailers out in the wilderness. I wanted to do stealth in buildinfs, not tall grass. Obviously i know very little about the game. How is it? I liked 1, ct and da
>>
>>337891619
you clearly don't understand business, though. when you have a niche fanbase that loyally buys all of the games in a series, changing that series into something else is quite literally the absolute worst decision you could make.
>>
>>337890539
Sure, he's an assassin, we agreed on that, but he's an assassin who's more concerned about national security, not so much the killing, he does it to save other people's lives and I don't think he takes any joy from it. I think he's more concerned with the neutralization of any threats that are larger than himself and it killing one person to achieve safety for thousands is what it require then he knows how to do it, and he knows how to do it well, because he's required to know how to do it well for the safety of everyone else.

I wouldn't primarily label him as an elite killer or a killer or an assassin, it even states Third Echelon as "forefront in the War on Information" that doesn't strike me as a firm the focuses on assassinations so much as it does the security of information
>>
File: 1462818122584.gif (139 KB, 111x149) Image search: [Google]
1462818122584.gif
139 KB, 111x149
>>337880225
but it only just started
>>
>>337891815
I'm not saying I like what they did. I would have much rather them stick to their guns and see where things went.

2 million to me doesn't seem that bad, considering games generally only cost 12-80 million to develop. The problem comes down to advertising.

You're right, given it's been around since 2003, Splinter Cell could have sold well without an egregious sales campaign. It could have maintained it's slow methodical gameplay with that oh-so-sweet sound meter (my favorite feature, honestly). It could have kept it's witty banter between Sam and the team.

Unfortunately the way MOST games are going, the only thing people care about are flashy lights and over the top violence. And that's what sales figures say. That people want run and gun Cawadoody bullshit. Call of Duty: Ghost made 1 BILLION think about how much 1 MILLION is, then multiply that by 1,000 in ONE DAY... If you could cash in on that, even by a fraction, I guarantee you would.
>>
File: 1451454960_s88PJThED0Y.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1451454960_s88PJThED0Y.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
>>337879685
Feminists need to fuck off from gaming.
>>
>>337879685
Am I the only one who remembers this already happening? It was either DA for the PS3, or DA for the PS2.

It was just multiplayer though so it was fapbait more than swj bs.
>>
Someone tell me because I didn't enjoy Blacklist long enough to beat it. Did they further the Anna and Sam relationship at all? There was some sexual tension in Conviction, and I always wanted them to bone after the Bank mission dialogue.
>>
>>337892676
you can't just make a game like call of duty and get the same numbers. it was a stupid decision all around, and i honestly don't even think it was about sales. it was just ubisoft being fucking stupid as they always are. they probably just got bored and wanted to do something else but were to fucking lazy to create a spin-off IP, or too understaffed because they have six million fucking niggers working on ass creed.
>>
>>337893570
>There was some sexual tension in Conviction

What?

He fucking hates her in Conviction. He beats her up and promises to kill her at one point. Not to mention there's something like a 30 year age difference between them anyway.
>>
File: 1452562202896.png (74 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
1452562202896.png
74 KB, 412x351
>There will never be another Chaos Theory

Glad I had so much fun with the game when it came out, how ignorant I was that they could continue making games that amazing.
>>
>>337893850
Yeah but they were totally going to ragefuck each other.
>>
>>337893570
http://www.thesource4parents.com/videogamereviews/videogame.aspx?id=499

>
Some sexual tension and dialogue occur between Sam Fisher and Grim, one of the female characters. There is no observable nudity.
>>
>>337886631
Why doesn't Tobin do soundtracks for movies? His style would fit very well for action and thrillers.
>>
>>337893626
Square-Enix did just that and see where it got them. The president of Square went on record and said "We want the CoD audience" obviously paraphrased. So why wouldn't EVERYBODY try and cash in on ONE BILLION
I
L
L
I
O
N
Dollars..? Seriously. They thought a more action oriented game would sell better, and were proven wrong, then sold a more action oriented STEALTH game (Blacklist) and were proven... mostly wrong. It sold roughly 1 million less than the original Splinter Cell. Not for lack of trying, though.

I get that you feel strongly about this, but they were trying to do what was best for the company rather, the suits running the company and then what was best for the series. If they didn't have the Splinter Cell name attached to them, Conviction and Blacklist would be lauded as terrific game. But because they have that SC on there, they're held to a different standard (and should be) just like Final Fantasy.

Spirits Within comes to mind, but it's not a game, so let's mention XIII. I'm sure they're great games! I never played past chapter 8 or 9 of the first one They're just not good FINAL FANTASY games... because people hold them to a higher standard. That's all. Sure, shit got stupid for a minute what with Double Agent trying and failing to streamline the stealth of the series then Conviction turning more into predatory stealth more than sneaking stealth, then Blacklist tried REALLY hard to go back to the roots while still maintaining that momentum of speed and agility, and making a great game out of it, but not a good SPLINTER CELL game...

tl;dr I agree with you it was fucking stupid of them to have tried to cash in on another game's success when they had something unique that seemed to work for at least 2 million or so people, I don't necessarily blame them for having tried, seeing as if they didn't they probably would have been fired.
>>
>>337894107
agents like sam are trained to resist sexual temptations in case they are captured and that is used as a "good cop" interrogation tool, or one of the more brutal sexual interrogation methods that vietnamese soldiers were fond of.
>>
>>337894297
>Why doesn't Tobin do soundtracks for movies?

He does. A better question is "Why don't more people ask him to?"
>>
>>337894397
no conviction is a legitimately bad game. it's a by the numbers cover shooter with lazy stealth elements tacked onto it. you're better off just picking up an AK-74 and tearing through enemies because their AI is some of the worst that's ever been. they did not have any sort of marketable strategy when they made that game. they started making something else, scrapped it, and shat out conviction to meet their deadline. and everyone involved in that operation should be shot.
>>
>>337894265
>Parents: Players can stop at any checkpoint along their mission.
Oh they cheeky fuckers.
So you can't even say your mom that you must beat the level before go to bed.
>>
did anyone actually play those co op missions in blacklist? i got my splinter cell friend to help out on them and they end with this unbelievably terrible scriptied event where sam and samfriend are anchored to the groudn and shooting at terrorists and robots
>>
>>337894607
it's definitely not a by the numbers cover shooter. The closest it ever came to that was the iraq level.

It was visually distinct, had a great aesthetic, and controlled incredibly smoothly. It was a really good action stealth game but the huge emphasis on lethality naturally put it at odds with splintercells fanbase.
>>
>>337894449
Patrolmen are also trained to look out for suspicious activity, such as glowing green lights in the dark.
>>
>>337894607

You could accuse Conviction of being a lot of things but it's certainly not a "by the numbers" cover shooter.

The only game I can think of that plays anything like Conviction was Hitman:Absolution, which was jokingly referred to as Hitman:Conviction for that very reason.

Conviction is alright. It's not a great stealth game but it's a decent enough "cinematic" action game. The type of game you play after watching a Bourne film.
>>
I want my cinematic SC1 experience, no open world crap, ree
>>
>>337895062
Was it Conviction or Double Agent where Sam goes full Doomguy on the final level and kills everyone?
>>
>>337895165

Double Agent ends with Sam pretty much killing everyone.

He always kills everyone in Conviction, pretty sure there's not a single non-lethal attack in the game.
>>
>>337895062
>Conviction is alright. It's not a great stealth game but it's a decent enough "cinematic" action game. The type of game you play after watching a Bourne film.

This is why I prefer Conviction over Blacklist. You can tell they actually put a lot of effort into the krav maga animation, as well as Sam's very unique sideways aiming stance, which was all very accurate and well reasearched.

Not only were there excellent interrogation scenes that were just a fucking blast to play for the first time back then, but the actual takedowns were slick, brutal, and satisfying. In fucking blacklist he just touches them and the fucking guards fall over like dolls. It's bullshit. It's some of the laziest fuckign animation you could do going from conviction. All the player needs is something fucking satsifying, and almost all of them are disappointing, streamlined and looking as if they sped them up 2x.

I hate it. The one thing I wanted them to keep from Conviction was the powerful sense of being Sam, refined and pissed and they shit all over it.
>>
>>337875901
>chaos therory with 1st person mod
Best stealth game ever.
>>
I really enjoyed Chaos Theory.

I miss it.
>>
>>337895390
Double Agent also had some excellent animations. I love the knocking on the forehead during ground interrogations, the corner grabs, and the water maneuvers.

Also, shangai was absolutely incredible at the time. What a gorgeous level. That was when Ubisoft was an impressive force indeed.
>>
>>337888216
>Chaos theory predicted Panama papers 11 years ago

wew lad
>>
>Pandora Tomorrow/Chaos Theory multiplayer is dead
REEEEEEE
Could be the nostalgia goggles, but the 2v2 matches remain some of my fondest vidya memories ever.
>>
>>337894797
>>337895062
you guys are either young as fuck or you are memeing HARD. conviction is a terrible game with some of the worst enemy AI that has ever been witnessed in the history of video games. not to mention is entirely, completely, totally linear which is at odds with the gameplay that chaos theory and double agent set up. do you really not know the story behind convictions development? that it was a rush job because the original conviction was cancelled?
>>
>>337895759
CT multiplayer has been alive for fucking ever and its only dead because of dipshits like you either spreading misinformation or doing jackshit when attempts are made to gather people for even a single spies and mercs match, which is somehow easier to pull off than a single coop mission.

It could be active daily if anyone fucking cared.
>>
>>337896020
Welp, guess I learned something today. Thanks.
>>
>>337875901
Did he de-age somehow? Is that part of the story
>>
>>337894752
Being how surprisingly I usually end up paying for games, this is one of the games I must have bought around a time where it was still alive because I played co op every day for about a month until the game would no longer run from me because of some launcher error.

I really enjoyed it and tried to get a friend of mine to play it with me, but it turns out he was bad stealth and made it stupid playing with him so it was mostly just getting matched with randoms.

I don't see why there is so much hate for the game
>>
>>337895826
nah, either you're sperging hard or your memory of conviction was very strongly coloured by your disappointment with its departure from the traditional SC formula at when you played it at release.

It's a well executed game, the only thing it failed to do was support the core gameplay that the rest of the franchise was built on.
>>
>>337895826
>entirely, completely, totally linear

you couldn't get something as basic as that right, so I'm already convinced you barely even remember what you're talking about.
>>
I wish clint hocking was working on it
>>
>>337896116
no, what it failed to do was be a stealth game with challenging enemies. you know the whole fucking point of making a splinter cell. give me an mp5 or an ak74 and i will finish that game in 45 minutes. it's shit, it will always be shit, and fans of it are equally shitty.
>>
>>337888216

This is awesome, have there been any other SC play throughs by the devs?

I had a look through the account, but it mostly seemed to be old random shit.

I love stuff like this, the Doublefine and Conker Dev play throughs were great as well.
>>
>>337879685
Yes, just imagine Fisher suit. For stealth it might actually be nice.
>>
>>337888216
these guys deserve fucking medals
>>
>>337896137
are you literally, not ironically saying that conviction is not linear?
>>
>>337896020
The servers were shut down like a month ago, though. Are there any functioning third-party workarounds available?
>>
I never played these games but I heard you end up killing your handler, which is pretty much like colonel from MGS

Why did that happen
>>
>>337896452
You can admit that you were exaggerating or just be wrong. What you said is what FF13 is. If you think Conviction did that, you're wrong and not even close.
>>
>>337875901
BRING BACK AMIN FOR THE OST
>>
>>337887652

aint got shit on me chaos theory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0kmgysf2Q
>>
>>337896568
Because Lambert is an ass
>>
>>337896574
name one level in conviction where you can deviate from the predetermined path. name one level where you can backtrack and aren't locked in by permanently locked doors.
>>
>>337896771
The first level for starters.
>>
>>337896568
because ubishit ran out of ideas.
>>
>>337896215
>what it failed to do was be a stealth game with challenging enemies. you know the whole fucking point of making a splinter cell

There's nothing that says a Splinter Cell game HAS to be a stealth game, that's just what the previous games in the franchise were.

Just because a game is not what you in particular wants or expects doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

Personally, I like when a franchise changes things up now and again. The same old shit gets stale very quickly and I don't think I would have wanted another Splinter Cell game that was just the same as the previous four Splinter Cell games.

This is like when people were whinging about the second Tomb Raider reboot and declaring it shit because it wasn't the same thing as the previous nine Tomb Raider games. Seriously? There's been nine fucking Tomb Raider games that are all the same shit and when one changes things a bit it's the end of the world? Fuck off.
>>
>>337896834
you are wrong. you have to move through the mansion on a predetermined path. why are you even trying to lie to someone who has played splinter cell since you were sucking on your mommies titties?
>>
>>337896568
Your character is undercover with some evil guys and then they somehow capture your boss and decide you need to prove you're loyal by killing him. It's never explained how/why they captured him, and it's never explained why they'd decide you need to prove yourself by killing what they think is some completely random guy after you've already done loads of work for them killing people when necessary.
It's pretty stupid. You're actually allowed to keep him alive and just kill all the terrorists if you want, but the devs decided that shooting him was canon. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea, but they did.
>>
>>337896871
splinter cell being a stealth game is what says it has to be a stealth game you fucking retarded shithead. if you don't want to make stealth games anymore then stop making splinter cell games, instead of turning the series into a fucking abomination that faggots like you will willingly pay money for.
>>
>>337896106

Didn't Ubisoft say something like "sam is ageless" in response to people wondering why he looks 29 in Blacklist
>>
>>337896897
>you have to move through the mansion on a predetermined path.

No you don't. If that were the case there'd be no windows or seperate rooms, and there'd be a single corridor.
>>
>>337896568
>Why did that happen

In Double Agent Sam goes undercover with some American militants. They catch your handler snooping around and ask you to execute him.

In the game you actually get a choice on the matter and can blow your cover in order to same him, something almost everyone did, but Conviction made it canon that he killed the handler to maintain his cover.

Honestly though, I think more people cared about whether or not they got the hottie killed.
>>
>>337896917
I forgot they stopped caring about the story aafter CT
>>
>>337897028

You are just making baseless declarations.

WHY does a Splinter Cell game have to be a stealth game?
>>
>>337897094
that's not what linear means. in chaos theory you could complete objectives before you were supposed to show up in that area. in conviction every objective is completed one after the other in a predetermined list, because there is no backtracking and there is no exploring ahead.
>>
>>337875901
damn what happened to his face in part 3?
>>
>>337881329

I'm gonna miss Ironside and his smooth moans when he would use a health kit.
>>
>>337897079
That or "its just a code name" was the other canned PR response, even though the Sam in Blacklist, other characters, including Grim directly make reference to things that happened to "Old Sam"

i likee Blacklist
>>
>>337897271
because splinter cell is a stealth series, and the people who buy it do so because it is a stealth game with stealth gameplay with a stealth influenced story. in other words, it has to be a stealth game because it's a fucking stealth game.
>>
>>337897079
So fucking dumb. They need to stop putting him in the games or have it be a prequel to SC.
>>
>>337897189

The stories for the previous Splinter Cell games weren't exactly brilliant either, just a kind of bland political/military wankfest.

Have you people forgotten a close ally of Pandora Tomorrow suddenly becomes the big bad of Chaos Theory?
>>
>>337897540
The story of the first 3 games is still better than "kill lambert because lol" and whatever the fuck Conviction was supposed to be.
>>
>>337897612

So you haven't played either of those game and yet still feel like you can pass judgement on them?

Frankly, no, their stories weren't really any better than Double Agent's or Conviction's.
>>
>>337881329
need source on this
>>
>>337897317
That's just semantics and having objectives. It's not what I'm arguing, and your statement is still ridiculous.
>>
>>337897883
then you just don't understand the difference between linear and non-linear gameplay. you're making up your own definition for non-linear. having separate rooms and shortcuts doesn't make the game non-linear if it all leads to the same exact place.
>>
>>337897796
Because I don't agree with you means I didn't play them? I have played through the series multiple times.

Sorry I disagree, the story of the first 3 games is much better than Double Agent, Conviction and so on. I never said they were incredible amazing, just that I thought they were better than later games. Your opinions aren't facts.
>>
File: Grimsdottir.jpg (186 KB, 566x800) Image search: [Google]
Grimsdottir.jpg
186 KB, 566x800
>play blacklist
>chapter playing as black dude
>it's suddenly a first person shooter
>rap music starts playing
you can't make that shit up other than that Black list was my favourite.
>>
>>337897997
No, I understand that things aren't black and white, and Conviction mixes linear and non-linear elements. Linear gameplay meets you with the same challenges. The very fact that you admit there are alternate rooms means different situations that can be avoided or encountered. Like I said, it's semantics and you're statement is ridiculous.
>>
>>337898296
it is a predetermined sequence, you cannot complete any of the objectives out of order. i don't know how many times i'll have to say that before you understand what it means, but i will continue to repeat myself until i fall asleep.
>>
>>337898039
>Because I don't agree with you means I didn't play them?

No, the fact you said you don't even know what the stories are was what made me think you never played them. A reasonable inference if you ask me.

Now you are claiming you've played them multiple times but apparently you just completely missed the not even remotely subtle plots of the games?

You are either an idiot or a liar. In either case I place little weight in your opinions.

>Your opinions aren't facts

Well it seems you a definitely an idiot. That's an interesting card to play after voicing your own opinion as fact.
>>
>>337898525
no it just means he didn't pay attention to the stories because they're all fairly by-the-numbers and unremarkable, and the mission-to-mission narrative that creates loosely connected in-mission background stories don't go out of their way to push the cohesive over-arching narrative of the game which makes the whole thing rather forgettable.

that is a reasonable inference
>>
>>337898525
where were his opinions stated as fact?
he just said he liked blah blah blah you thin skinned cretin
you're the only one trying to make objective claims to the series quality.
>>
>>337898387
Go ahead, it doesn't make you right.

>any of the objectives
>objectives
and that's where you start to get presumptuous.

>If a player must confront the challenges in a fixed order nonlinear games will often give multiple approaches to achieve said objectives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay

If you're going to whine about wikipedia, then you might as well just admit it's semantics and you're standing on nothing but your own exaggerated interpretation of things.
>>
>>337898525
>No, the fact you said you don't even know what the stories are was what made me think you never played them. A reasonable inference if you ask me.

That's a figure of speech. As in I thought Conviction was terrible through and through and I don't even know what the fuck they were trying to achieve with its horrible story. I can't believe you took "and whatever the fuck Conviction was " literal. Have you ever spoken to someone before?

> but apparently you just completely missed the not even remotely subtle plots of the games?

I didn't miss anything, I just enjoyed the story of the first 3 titles more. Is this really pissing you off this much? Grow up.

>That's an interesting card to play after voicing your own opinion as fact.

I didn't do that though. You're the one huffing and puffing because I don't agree with you. You're the only one doing that, not me. Over opinions

>You are either an idiot or a liar.

I'm neither though. Maybe take the stick out of your ass and realize not everyone agrees with you on everything. You've literally drudged all this shit up because I said they stopped caring about the story after CT.

I'm not going to agree with your shitty opinion, so you can keep prattling on about nothing if you want.
>>
>>337897796
Their stories were a lot better. Simple, but at least they worked. Conviction retconning his daughter's death so she was actually alive is so fucking bizarre. I mean, the forces of evil apparently hate Sam so much (even though he's basically a nobody) that Lambert is worred they'll go after his daughter (even though they have a million better ways to deal with Sam), so he decides to fake her death to trick him. So his method of protecting Sam from bad things happening to his daughter is to trick him into thinking the worst thing possible has happened to his daughter. And then never tell him, even after he's having a fucking mental breakdown over it. And then he gets shot and is dying and still doesn't tell Sam that she's okay? Like what the fuck? What's the point of keeping her safe if he never intends to tell Sam that she's okay?
Luckily he made a record for some reason so Sam finds out anyway. And then he meets her and they have a conversation for like 5 minutes and then she leaves the game permanently again, because I mean who cares about her right? Gotta go back to shooting people. They parked a petrol truck in front of the gate, shoot it so it'll blow those guys up! Explosions are great!
>>
>>337898820

Your attempt at pseudo-intellectualism doesn't fool me, you have said nothing of substance.

And that's not inference, that's projection.
>>
>>337898985
unlike your uneducated ass i have never read the wikipedia article for non-linear gameplay because i know what it is. you're sounding more and more like a person who has never played chaos theory so maybe you should just choose a different subject before you get exposed.
>>
>>337897796
>Frankly, no, their stories weren't really any better than Double Agent's or Conviction's.

You think Convictions story is on par with Splinter Cell 1 or CT? Moron.
>>
>>337899114
(you)
>>
>>337899150
I've played CT before you could even read a wikipedia article you narrowminded child. If you expect me to believe your definition of nonlinear is the only valid definition than I have nothing to do but laugh at you.

>so maybe you should just choose a different subject
Interesting that you rush to that notion after I start pulling out links.
>>
>>337881329
What is it with actors being hypocrites on violence. I remember Matt Damon once said that the Bourne game should be a non-violent puzzle game. Like what the fuck?
>>
>>337899475
Because it's acting.
It's not really any different than doing a rape scene in a film and then saying you aren't okay with rape.

Anyway if Damon said that top lel.
>>
>>337899453
>pulling out links
it's a fucking wikipedia article, don't get too excited. and i said that because if you had played chaos theory and were able to compare it's gameplay to conviction then you would understand that conviction is a linear game, and not only does it not condone exploration, it straight up does not allow it to occur.
>>
>>337899779
refer to:
>>337898296
>>
>>337899852
the very fact that you think having multiple rooms in a fucking mansion, makes the game non linear, goes to show that you are a brain dead nigger, and are probably posting from a crack den in an eastern european war zone.
>>
>>337899763
Sorry, I meant to say hypocrites on violence in media, not real life violence.
>>
>>337900128
Oversimplifying shows desperation, and your rage confirms to me you've already realized how explicitly incorrect you sounded judging Conviction on things you couldn't even comprehend, which isn't surprising because your poor reading comprehension says a lot. Have fun being wrong on literally everything you've said tonight. I already got what I wanted with this sorry post:
>>337899150
>>
>>337875901
I remember playing pandoras something and thinking that it was boring as fuck.

are these games still boring?
>>
I enjoyed Blacklist
I actually think it's the second best Splinter Cell just behind Chaos Theory
The next SC game should just be all Grimm Missions from Blacklist
>>
>>337894797
>had a great aesthetic

You mean make almost everything black and white when you're in invisible mode, which you are 90% of the time?
>>
>>337900526
oh i assure you i am quite confident in my correctness. if you think that being able to go into a different hallway to get to the same door makes a game nonlinear than you are entitled to be mentally retarded, that's none of my concern.
>>
>>337875901
Splinter cell stopped being good ages ago, so no.
>>
>>337898282
>dat Iraq mission turnout from Conviction
>>
>>337900665
I'm glad Blacklist fixed this shit.
>>
File: 1456535902481.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1456535902481.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>337888376
>>
File: DC.jpg (33 KB, 549x395) Image search: [Google]
DC.jpg
33 KB, 549x395
>>337893137
>gaming
>feminists

Idiots need to stop ruining things period.
>>
>>337895826
I bought it played one level and returned it and I was born in 96. some people are just hopelessly retarded, Anon.
>>
>>337885231
Briggs is too black to be the next protag.
>>
>>337893137
Misogynists need to fuck off from this mortal coil :^)
>>
>>337879839

>You wanna play navy seals? Come on I'll let you be bill Paxton
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 621x502) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 621x502
This sounds nitpicky as fuck but Sam needs his balaclava back

It's ruining my enjoyment of the serious
>>
>>337876134
Still think they fucked up by not having Fisher in a lambert role overseeing a new cell agent, at least that way ironside would still be sam
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgh7T_vWDBA
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.