[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking of picking this up, but was Doom 3 bad or something?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: DOOM3-BFG-Edition.png (406 KB, 640x330) Image search: [Google]
DOOM3-BFG-Edition.png
406 KB, 640x330
Thinking of picking this up, but was Doom 3 bad or something? I never really hear it spoken of.
>>
It's ok.
>>
Not bad exactly, just mediocre and forgettable.
>>
Don't buy BFG edition, it's a downgrade from the original.
>>
>>337875178

Compared to every other game including this one, Doom 3 was a major disappointment.

In fact, playing Doom 4 will make you appreciate how not like Doom 3 it is.
>>
>>337875178
It's good, but it's very different from the classic games and D44M. It's kind of a mix of a shooter game and survival horror, before Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space did it.

If you're going to get it, get the vanilla version if you can. BFG Edition costs more, and doesn't add much that you can't otherwise get from buying Doom 1 and 2 (which are dirt cheap anyway) and getting the duct tape mod for vanilla Doom 3.
>>
>>337875178
It's ok there is no reason to get BFG edition over the original though
>>
>>337875569
but how would you know that if you've never played doom 3?
>>
At least it's miles better than that piece of shit "doom" game that just came out.
>>
BFG is bad, but OG D3/RoE is fine, since it has the Absolute HD mod
>>
>>337875178
If you like FEAR but wanted it to be slower paced and worse gunplay, pick up doom 3
>>
>>337875756
I guess he recommends watching a playthrough on YouTube or something.
>>
>>337875792
:^)
>>
>>337875178
It's a technically sound game, is very good looking for the time it came out, and can be pretty spoopy, but it just doesn't have great combat. weapons all feel weak as shit too. overall I'd say it's worth a playthrough just so you at least have played them all.

If you want a better horror Doom game, try 64.
>>
>>337875826
What I want is a genuinely scary, gorey, and dark atmosphere FPS.
>>
>>337876017
youll probably get it from doom 3, although the genuinely scary part is subjective
>>
>>337876017
It relies a bit too much on jumpscares, but Doom 3 is pretty creepy and has good atmosphere. The combat is just unsatisfying and slow.
>>
>>337875178
Doom 3 is a fine game. It gets some justified shit for playing nothing like its predecessors, but that doesn't make it bad. Get the original if you can, the BFG version is technically worse in every way. If you're on pc you can get it and the expansion for less than $10 on keysites.
>>
>>337876017
Doom 3 fits that description pretty good. It's not psychological fuck your head up kind of scares, but more Event Horizon/Alien/s/3 kind. Sci-Fi spooks.

The atmosphere will be helped by playing with headphones in the dark.

Plenty of blood and guts too in the base game. I cant remember much of Resurrection of Evil though.

Only thing I have against the base game is it ends too abruptly. Not enough time to fuck shit up with the BFG
>>
>>337875792
Its not though based on core gameplay alone. DOOM 3 was a shit game and its only saving graces were audio logs/lore. Same thing as Clive Barkers Jericho interesting as fuck in ways that aren't gameplay and complete ass in gameplay.

Not that D44M is a perfect game its just a okay game at best in the grand scheme but DOOM 3 is shit.
>>
>>337875815
>Ammo counter shown on the gun

One of the best features in the game.
>>
File: YEEEAAAGHH.jpg (54 KB, 233x330) Image search: [Google]
YEEEAAAGHH.jpg
54 KB, 233x330
>>337875815
at least post a good screenshot
>>
>>337876648
Most of my screenshots are admiring the parallax and relief mapping
>>
Maybe I go with DeadSpace then?
>>
>>337876395
Damn, Clive Barkers Jericho. I forgot about that one.
>>
>>337877016
Dead Space 1 literally does everything that Doom 3 does better.
>>
>>337875815
link to the mod?
>>
>>337877532
Well that's an easy choice then. lol
>>
>>337877714
http://www.moddb.com/mods/absolutehd

There isn't one for RoE though, so just use basic Sikkmod for it
>>
>>337877532
Dead space has shitty gun mechanics
>>
>>337877901
shit, but they're still better than Doom 3's.
>>
don't, play Doom 64 instead. it's the real Doom 3. look Doom64 EX up.
>>
>BFG edition
The only thing notable on this is the flashlight upgrade/downgrade/whatever (pretty sure you can mod this) and Doom 2's No Rest for the Living (you can google and download elsewhere).

Avoid the shit out of this.
>>
whats wrong with dOOM 3 BFG?
>>
>>337878068
I. Enjoyed doom 3 also dead space is third person
>>
>>337875667
Doom 3 came out after RE4 didnt it?
>>
Its ok

Not really what you expect from DOOM, honestly its more like a toned down quake then doom.
>>
>>337877856
Oh, I didn't even realize RoE was a thing. Is it just extra levels or does it just improve the base game?
>>
>>337875526
I have a shit PC so for me it's doom 3 on Xbox or doom 3 bfg on ps3. Is it an upgrade?
>>
>>337875178
Its worth a playthrough, including the RoE expansion.
>Good atmosphere
>decent pace
>Surprisingly interesting story and lore
>Hell levels
>The Soulcube

However
>drags on, lots of filler
>combat is kinda clunky
>lack of music (couldve helped in areas, but thats just me)
>character models have good artstyle, but look very aged
>>
>>337878665
It's the climax of D3's story, with new enemies, weapons and a bigger focus on combat, artifact powers are fun as fuck
>>
>>337878185
Not as moddable, and it's easier due to extra armor/health/ammo pickups, the main gimmick it sold itself on was VR support
>>
>>337875178
Doom 3 was pretty awful. There was some movement you could do, tied to stamina. The levels were pretty poorly done. The gunplay wasn't very good. The pacing was slow and constantly interrupted and the game expected you to sit there listening to fucking awful imaginary podcasts while playing hot potato with your flashlight.
If they made it more like the multiplayer portion it would have been better.
>>
>>337875178
It's the only one that's a horror, literally nobody has made this comparison. Doom 3 is the only scary one
>>
>>337879036

On a graphical level yes, it's been upgraded to play at 720p and some of the textures are better. There are some gameplay changes for the worse though, like you can have your flashlight on and gun out at the same time.
>>
>>337878226
Nope. Doom 3 was released in August 2004, Resident Evil 4 was released in January 2005.
>>
>>337880670
>horror

I think the original doom has horror elements and the potential is there in the lighting engine, one of the best of its time. The game just wasn't made as a horror game, especially with the cheesy metal ripoff soundtrack. Change it out for the Quake OST though and you can better see the horror aesthetic in some of the dark cramped hallways and creepy noises the enemies make lurking.
>>
>>337880670
No love for Doom 64, huh?
>>
With AbsoluteHD, do I just dump it wherever the installer puts it by default, or do I need to put it in the steamapps directory? I put it in the steamapps/doom 3 folder but it didn't seem to apply
>>
>>337882234
I'm actually >>337882121 but I would say no. DooM64 has a horror aesthetic in the design of its enemies and hallways, but I don't think it has the same horror element as DooM or DooM3, especially with everything being so well-lit throughout the game. It comes across like a campy horror aesthetic rather than something genuinely scary even in a jumpscare way.
>>
It has some nice charm to it. It's certainly nowhere nearly as cool as the new game but it's fine.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.