[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Super Mario Galaxy the best mario game ever made?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: Super-Mario-Galaxy.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Super-Mario-Galaxy.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1600
Is Super Mario Galaxy the best mario game ever made?
>>
>>337868715
Yes. Or at worst it's the greatest Nintendo game
>>
>>337868926
Prove me wrong.
>>
File: real life.jpg (115 KB, 806x602) Image search: [Google]
real life.jpg
115 KB, 806x602
mario 64 is far better
>>
No.
>>
>>337868942
>>337868715

My bad. I though you said best game ever made in which case the answer is still yes.
>>
No. 64 was better.
>>
>>337869030
It has better controls but I prefer Galaxies greater scope and variety.
>>
No. It's actually the best game of all time excluding Doom.
>>
>>337868715
Yes. It's soundtrack had no business being that good. It's still in my rotation.
>>
No, Galaxy 2 is better.

3Dworld and 3Dland are great too
>>
>>337869173
Galaxy had too many linear levels.

The best level in the Galaxy games was the re-do of Whomp's Fortress; Galaxy controls amazing but the levels are straight lines.

Which, it's like, if you're gonna do that, then do a 3D World and just DO it, don't present it like 64/Sunshine with open mission-based level design
>>
But that's not 3D World
>>
In the 3D series it's second only to 64. It's far more of a 64 successor than what most people give it credit for.
>>
>>337869673
Exactly why it's the best
>>
>>337869845
>>337869157
>>337869030
What's the deal with the SM64 meme? i've played it several times and it doesn't even come up close to Super Mario Galaxy. It has bad controls, bad camera angles, bad graphics and a lot of bugs.
>>
>>337869921
That doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>337870315
Well memes are popular and beloved by all. Super Mario 64 is in fact a meme. Don't try to make sense out of it.
>>
>>337870315
its not a meme, it only appears that way becasue you are too retarded to understand how good it is
>>
>>337869460
>The best level in the Galaxy games was the re-do of Whomp's Fortress

That level standards out for how tiny it feels compared to the rest of the game
>>
>>337869030
>Remember that this game is just like real life now

I don't mean to meme on purpose but seriously, what did he mean by this? This is a strange sentence.
>>
>>337870589
But the game gets really dull halfway through. Mario 3D World constantly throws fresh ideas at you from beginning to end. Too many people let their nostalgia overshadow the idea of good game design.
>>
>>337870701
He means it's 3d, you dumbass.
>>
>>337870885
>really dull
if you think that, then that's fine, but that doesn't make it true
>>
>>337870885
3D World's problem is it tries too hard to appeal to nostalgia. I don't think the 2D Marios are THAT amazing and I don't want the 3D games trying to copy them.
>>
>>337870885
>kids will think this now

goddamn. Remember when kids would gitgud enough to appreciate the mechanics and physics of something as robust as sm64? Now it's only speedrunners who get it.
>>
File: tumblr_mb85gkJllm1qiplke.jpg (78 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mb85gkJllm1qiplke.jpg
78 KB, 500x377
really I don't know why people liked galaxy so much. It was too linear from one little level to another. I suppose I prefer a more consistent, unfied world like in Super Mario 64 and sunshine. Its like ape escape you know. you got one little world to explore with small objectives but its shallow and once its done you move on to the next, piecing it together. A solid over world branching out from within is better than just a chain of planets hopping from one level to the next with no real dialogue from characters or foundation.
>>
>>337871435
>I don't know why people liked galaxy so much.
because it's perfect
>>
>>337871435
>It was too linear from one little level to another.

Because I like platformers.
>>
File: Super_Mario_Bros._box.png (100 KB, 280x383) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Bros._box.png
100 KB, 280x383
>>337868715
no, this is
>>
>>337869460
Here comes the linear is bad meme like clockwork
>>
>Mario IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE
>but let's restrict him to little planetoids tied together by cutscene launchers
>platforming very often pushed aside for collecting launch star shards, breaking objects with the spin, or a motion-control gimmick
>they managed to make a Bowser fight duller than the hot tub from Sunshine
>>
>>337871732
goddamn what a faggot post

>simplifying to the max
>there's a fuckton of platforming
>the bowser fight was one of the most amazing things ever, especially the first playthrough

could anyone hate fun as much as this guy right now?
>>
>>337872214
>lol ur a fag u hate fun
I still like some of Galaxy. It just isn't the "best Mario game ever made" like your shitposting ass insists it is.
It needed more places like Space Junk Galaxy or Buoy Base Galaxy. And some sort of better Bowser fight. Galaxy 2's ball pounding was worse than dancing into Bowser.
>complaining about "simplifying to the max" while generalizing my post
>>
>>337871373
>>337871375
>>337871128

How does it appear to nostalgia? Because the core game gameplay is... *gasp*.... Mario?

3D World takes everything that makes a MARIO game great and perfects it in 3D space. It focuses greatly on level design. Mario is a platformer and I expect a platformer to have stellar level design that stays fresh and keeps the player engaged from beginning to end. On top of that (and unlike the NSMB series) the multiplayer is phenomenal. The 4-player co-op was one of the biggest elements that truly exemplified the enjoyment I got out of 3D World as oppose to Mario 64. In the end, that's what matters the most me. I'm not gonna lie to myself and say that Mario 64 is a better game if all of these elements in 3D World made it a much more enjoyable Mario experience and videogame in general. The reasoning behind why 3D is apparently a "bad game" to most people is beyond comprehension. I also don't think there has been a Mario game that really did the whole "open world" and "mission-based" thing all too well. That's totally not to say that I don't want another Mario game like that, but until they combine that with the extraordinary level design of 3D World, 3D World will always be superior to me.
>>
File: Super Mario Bros. 3.jpg (37 KB, 388x550) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario Bros. 3.jpg
37 KB, 388x550
No.
>>
>>337872820
>3D World takes everything that makes a MARIO game great and perfects it in 3D space.
As it turns out, mario games suck. I want more of whatever galaxy1/2 and 64 are.
>>
>>337872820
>The 4-player co-op
fucking normalfags
>>
>>337872820
3D World takes everything that makes a Mario game great, puts it in 3D, and ruins it. At least it doesn't ruin it as much as 3D Land did.
>>
No 3D Mario with a timer can ever be called the best.

3D world is auto-disqualified for that alone.
>>
>>337870885
the "fresh ideas" are shit you've done dozens of time in earlier and better mario games

l also don't care for the one mechanic by stage 4 steps process game design, l prefer Galaxy's variety and unpredictability in a single mission
>>
I prefer Mario 64 for its variety in levels and themes, but Galaxy is one of the most polished modern 3D platformers in existence.
>>
File: Bowser Land.png (1020 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Bowser Land.png
1020 KB, 853x480
>>337872820
>stellar level design that stays fresh and keeps the player engaged from beginning to end
I enjoyed 3D World, but fans really exaggerate how fresh the game stayed. A few worlds in you're already past multiple grasslands with rolling hills, ice rinks, deserts, and beaches. Levels like the Mario Kart level aren't as common and the new themes like China/Japan or the circus are also repeated thrice. Not to mention the extra worlds recycle everything with brief changes to enemy placement and a smaller time limit.

Don't even get me started on Bowser Land, the most wasted potential ever.
>Bowser's huge amusement park world
>thanks to the questionable act of having themed worlds, but levels having nothing to do with said theme, you don't go on any rides as levels
>instead you visit another ghost house, a volcano, another train, and fight two previous bosses
>tower level only has a tiny ferris wheel segment
>>
File: Sm3dwguide295.png (905 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Sm3dwguide295.png
905 KB, 1280x720
>>337873874
Oh, and there isn't even a circus level in the world unless you count the boss arenas. But hey, at least they put in a cookie world. Yay.
>>
>>337873013
How? Why did you respond if you weren't going to support this in anyway? I'm curious as to

>>337873002
Sorry I enjoy playing video games with friends.

>>337873227
But they're not shit though. Games like galaxy have variety, yes, but you're still going back to the same world just with a different mission. It's especially bad when the world is left completely unchanged. 3D World has a larger variety with a wide range of fun and clever ideas that could only be done in a linear 3D platformer. Also, there's nothing wrong with linear platformers and they're are definitely not enough of them out there. Especially ones with as much soul and attention to detail as 3D World.

No 3D Mario game is shit. They're all great. I just happen to think that 3D World does 3D Mario the best way.
>>
I have never played Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 before. Is it great?
>>
>>337874317
>Also, there's nothing wrong with linear platformers and they're are definitely not enough of them out there.
It's not a matter of linear or non linear, 3D World simply feels too much like a 2D platformer and not a particularly good one, simply because 3D platformers will never be as accurate and tight as 2D ones.

Galaxy is linear too although less than 3D World but it retains enough elements from 64 to differentiate itself from the sidescrollers.
>>
File: SMG2_World_4.jpg (187 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
SMG2_World_4.jpg
187 KB, 1600x1200
>>337874519
I personally enjoyed the second more than the first. It's more about obstacle courses than exploring space set pieces, though the decision to have a world selection similar to 2D Mario was kind of a bummer since you don't unlock as many levels at once and the structure is more linear. I did enjoy the story more in the first, though.
>>
No. Not even close. Only reason it gets praise is because it's the only 3D platformer going. It's like saying a one legged man in an ass kicking contest is the best ever even though he is the only one participating.
>>
mario rpg
>>
>>337874317
>How? Why did you respond if you weren't going to support this in anyway?
Because you said

>It focuses greatly on level design. Mario is a platformer and I expect a platformer to have stellar level design that stays fresh and keeps the player engaged from beginning to end.
3D World isn't engrossing in the slightest. It isn't fun to play and the levels aren't even slightly interesting. What you call good level design, I call safe and by-the-numbers level design. I know the gimmicks from playing Mario for decades, 3D World shows me nothing new.

The multiplayer isn't fun either since all it does is add a slight amount of chaos to otherwise banal and uninspired levels.

It's better than 3D Land, but is that truly anything worth praising when 3D Land was even MORE bland and unimpressive?
>>
>>337875168
That's the reason why l like the first one better than the 2nd: Galaxy has more exploration, nonlinear gameplay and creative use of Mario's special jumps. lt also feels more like an adventure, with Rosalina's backstory and things like that.
>>
Well, it's ONE of the best Mario games of all time
>>
>>337876383
>It's better than 3D Land
You know, that's a common opinion but l don't think it's even true. 3D Land did more interesting things mechanics wise, like the way it took advantage of stereoscopic 3D to put a twist on vertical level design and made you fall from great heights into platforms down below. At least that was something genuinely new and fresh. Plus the final Bowser battle was far better.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.