[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal Gear Solid V, Do I need to know 1-4?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: mgsv.jpg (9 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
mgsv.jpg
9 KB, 197x256
Ok, so I just got Metal Gear Solid V for a gift but haven't seen or played any of it's predecessors ,nor can I afford to. Do I need to watch a walk through of them first to enjoy MGSV? Know any good ones to watch?
>>
>>337866773
>nor can I afford to

You can't emulate faggot? why don't you just admit that you're a fucking underage pleb and you only play games with "le gud grafix"?

a shit pc from 2011 or a decent pc from 2008 can emulate everything up to mgs 3, and then you can watch mgs4 on youtube or some shit.

Fuck off.
>>
>>337866773
Yes or you're missing out on serious drama, first actual two games still somewhat related.
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
^
>>
>>337866773
You'll enjoy MGSV more if you don't play the actually good games in the series.
>>
You need to know metal gear 1 and 2, metal gear solid 1-4, peace walker, and ground zeroes
In that order
>>
>>337867731
>implying V isn't the actual best game in the series
>>
>>337868040
It's a boring, empty, unfinished mess. If that's what passes as good for you I envy your low standards.
>>
>>337868159
Except its full of shit to do, with fantastic stealth and shootan
>>
>>337868040
kill yourself
>>
This is the worst one of the series and one of the worst open world games...
>>
>>337868159
>>337868548
I'm curious, what makes it so incredibly bad?

Do you have to travel a lot to reach objectives or something?
>>
>>337868548
4 is definitely worse and V is the first game where you dont constantly fight the controls
>>
OP I WILL BE HONEST WITH YOU

if anything you'll enjoy the game more because you won't be let down like long time fans. Literally all you need to know is snakes base got blown up and he wants revenge

If anything, mgs3
>>
>>337868548
>This is the worst one of the series
it's great
it's just really dissapointing plot wise
but worst?
dont delude yourself
Tank Walker was the worst one
>>
>>337868669
A bunch of autists mentally manufactured a game based on some trailers and this game didn't match up to their fantasy wank game so now they don't like it.
>>
>>337868669
Most people don't like it because it isn't as story heavy as the previous titles, and what little story is there isn't really the main focus of the game.

There's a much greater focus on the multiplayer aspect of it, where the bulk of the work is about building your base to square off against other players, and the missions you do to build your base and acquire resources are more interested in letting you experiment with loadouts and different strategies instead of just throwing you on a linear path with static obstacles
>>
All you need to know is how to be a straight while male and you'll be good to go
>>
>>337868669
That, and you have repetitive missions, actual REPEATED missions, as in the exact same missions done again, boring ass bases to infiltrate, repetitive gameplay, only interesting character is Kaz but only cause he's so dumb, the story is straight up retarded, and it doesn't live up to any of the hype or what the series set before it.
To think at one point I thought this was gunna be one of the greatest games ever made. The trailers still trigger me
>>
>>337866773
>thinking you can hop on at the end of a story/game/show and expect to grasp fully what's going on.
>>
>>337866773
you need to play GZ first and at least watch the Peace Walker movie on youtube before that. It's connected to the rest of the series as well, but not as strongly as those two games
>>
>>337868669
The open world is boring and empty with very little to find other than the same copy/pasted guard outposts the devs threw around like darts on a board.

There's an utterly absurd amount of waiting for everything in the game, whether it be the stupid unskippable helecoptor sequences whenever you want to play a mission, side-op or infiltrate FOBs or the timers on unlocking equipment.

There's only two interesting areas to sneak through in the entire game, those being OKB Zero and the jungle area before the mansion where Code Talker is kept.

The side-ops list is very literally a checklist of some of the most terrible optional quests I've played. Destroy the Armored Vehicle Unit wasn't fun the first time around, let alone the 20th.

Most of the main missions have no bearing on the plot, a chunk of them are repeats anyway because Kojima is a hack who can't finish a game in 5 years with $90 million.

Buddies make the game laughably easy, D-Dog and Quiet being the worst offenders.

Ocelot is an entirely different character to the previous titles and is bizarrely often the voice of reason.

The ending was trash and was there to patch a plot hole from a game most never played nor did they ever care for.

Atricous "boss fights"
>>
>>337869928
>very little to find other than the same copy/pasted guard outposts the devs threw around like darts on a board.

maybe change up your play style if you're finding it boring...? The whole game revolves around doing things over in different ways, especially considering how you can level up soldiers and shit
>>
>>337870227
>maybe change up your play style
To what exactly? The game doesn't have good enough gunplay to facilitate an enjoyable all out assault approach and alternative methods of tackling these atrociously boring posts are gimmicks at best. Perhaps the game should've had more interesting, well-designed areas to sneak through instead of the same several thrown all over the maps.
>>
>>337870828
>The game doesn't have good enough gunplay
as a fan of shooters, it's one the best imho. It isn't obvious at first, but thanks to the smooth control it's great running around fucking shit up, and the ballistics system is top notch, especially in FOB where aiming counts
>>
>>337866773
not knowing what's going on will make it better, this game's biggest flaw is it's story.
>>
>>337870828
I think the game doesn't offer many viable playstyles, personally. To unlock all those guns the anon is talking about that will let you change your playstyle you have to fulton the shit out of every guard. No killing allowed. If you do kill you're just gimping yourself.

https://youtu.be/XXBFSnbhVsE?t=49s

You can have some fun with the game of course, as this video will show. I'm not posting this video in defense of the game or anything but this guy's videos give me a big smile whenever I watch one.
>>
Don't listen to the spergs saying that you have to play them all

Just play 5 and if the lore seems interesting to you play the others
>>
>>337871468
>If you do kill you're just gimping yourself

Except you aren't dependent on fulton for soldiers at all. And then there's the different ways body shots work for different classes of guns
>>
>>337869928
Russian base camp and the mansion were better than those areas.
Is D-Dog any worse than the soliton radar? I think using Quiet without reflex mode is a more comfortable difficulty level.
>>
>>337869928
>Buddies make the game laughably easy

don't use them then lol.
>>
>>337866773
play them all till ground zeroes
v dont exist
>>
>>337872092
MGSV has an adjustable third person camera with mechanics that support slower paced stealth in the vein of Snake Eater and MGS4, not an overhead camera with faster paced arcade-like stealth. Mistakes in MGS1 and 2 are also far more fatal.

>>337872560
Not using them doesn't make them not shit.
>>
>>337872684
pls, V is at least as good as GZ

>>337872767
>Not using them doesn't make them not shit.

Each of the buddies brings their own strengths to the table. Just use superior D-horse if you don't want wall hacks... it's easier to get to all the side ops on the map that way
>>
File: 287700_20160514200023_1.png (1010 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
287700_20160514200023_1.png
1010 KB, 1360x768
This game is comfy as fuck fun.
>>
>A Hind-D? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>337872767
Do you think the same of games with easy modes?
>>
>>337873137
Took me a moment to realise you had modded the arms.
>>
Who even are the characters?
I've only played mgs 1, 3 and 5.
Are they different characters every game? I know mgs 2 had you play as the revengence dude
>>
>>337873468
>the revengence dude
>>
>>337866773
just play 3, read a summary of peace walker. none of the other games are necessary because V takes place before all of them.
unfortunately peace walker is the most important connection to V, though in my opinion it's kind of shitty.
>>
Watch "MGS3 the movie" on YouTube. It just takes the cutscenes from it, and it's actually really enjoyable.
>>
>>337866773
no, MGSV was my first metal gear game and I really enjoyed it
>>
>>337866773
No, the plot doesn't make any sense anyway.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.