[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sonic 25th Anniversary Game discussion thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 23
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 1072x749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 1072x749
Honest thoughts on what the next Sonic game will be? We know it will be a big celebration of Eggman and that there will be a team-up between Sonic and Eggman. I think it will be decent.
>>
>>337852643
Why is it "Eggman" and not "Robotnik"?
>>
>>337852754
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0aHrBqML6I
>>
>>337852643
The team up was already done in lost world so I don't think so.
>>
Why the retards at Sega make you go to special retarded stages to complete the game?

You are in a fast game and then BOOM! you are playing an awful slow stage
>>
>>337852754
His canon name is still Robotnik. The fanbase accepts the use of either.
>>
>>337853110
Blue Spheres is awesome anon,
Also, chaos emeralds aren't required to beat the game, only the good ending
>>
>>337852754
Eggman is a real surname, though
>>
File: image.png (382 KB, 380x381) Image search: [Google]
image.png
382 KB, 380x381
WHERE

IS

BRENDA
>>
>>337853291
On Sonic 2 if you don't collect the required coins.. no good ending

And how do you restart the level if there is no save feature?
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 365x710) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 365x710
>>337853340
Flickying the bean
>>
>>337853459
Sonic 2 on iOS and Android adds a save feature which fixes that problem
>>
Hopefully there's more than one game.
One fully 3D game, and a 2D game with 1-3 style physics and level design for fans of the old games.
>>
>>337853286

I refuse to call him Eggman because of how dumb it sounds. It works when Sonic and others call him The Eggman in the past because he was more mysterious and all they knew about him was that he was egg shaped.

Calling himself Eggman is just silly.

As for a new game, I doubt Sega even has anything planned at all for a new Sonic game. There has been little to no news.
>>
>>337853856
They're announcing it in July probably
>>
File: image.png (3 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 KB, 320x224
>>337853459
UUDDLRLR A+C+START at title screen.
>>
>>337853856

>Not watching the SXSW Panel

There's gonna be an event at the House of blues during Comic Con, There announcing a new game there.
>>
Yesterday there was a thread about an insider and he posted SA3 gameplay very early stages
>>
>>337854758

Did you download any vids?
>>
>>337854758

NVM i just found the Archive, confirmed fake.
>>
Honestly I'm starting to think there won't be an anniversary title this year. May is almost over and we've heard nothing

>but the team wants to take its time!

Maked sense with development, not marketing. Seriously, there's all this stuff going on with merch and SoS but nothing about a game.
>>
>>337856523
They're keeping it a secret anon
They'll announce it at comic con or something..right?
>>
>>337856772

They're going to show the game on July 22nd, at the latest. Not sure if they'll show it before then, but they're definitely showing it then.
>>
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 640x448
>>
File: Sonic-Generations-artwork.jpg (40 KB, 462x517) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-Generations-artwork.jpg
40 KB, 462x517
>>337852643
I don't want a celebration game. We just had one on the 20th anniversary. Why not wait until the series makes it to 40 or 50? In the mean time, how about just making some good new games. So in 20 years, there's solid material worth celebrating. Rather than creating another cannibalistic celebration game.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 551x571) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 551x571
>>337858396
>40 or 50
>>
>>337858518
I don't know what you're implying. I can take your green text and reaction to mean a couple different things.
>>
>>337852754
>>337853856
He's always been called Eggman you cuck, you just got brainwashed by the shitty edgy American media like the game manuals and that retarded comic. Play Sonic 2 again, it says "EGGMAN" in all caps straight down the side of the Wing Fortress ship. That's always been his name
>>
>>337858807
That's a long ass time.
>>
>>337859480
Yes, so? That's what makes celebrations special.
Besides Sonic Boom, what mainline Sonic game has come out in the last 5 years? None. So why make another celebration game? Nothing worthy happened between Generations and today.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160516-203734.jpg (499 KB, 1391x803) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160516-203734.jpg
499 KB, 1391x803
>>337859193
I love this meme

https://youtu.be/4-30RmfYOfg
Star watching at 3 minutes and 45 seconds.

You're correct in that Eggman was the original Japanese name, but this was retconned to a nickname. Robotnik is his official name. They further solidified this in SA2 when they made his grandfather and Maria's name Robotnik as well.

This is why either name is acceptable today.
>>
>>337853321
It's not HIS real surname. It's his nickname. In SA2 we still see text about the "ROBOTNIK EMPIRE" (in reference to him, not his grandfather).
>>
>>337860373
I'm well aware of the Adventure bullshit, doesn't make it any less retarded when people do "Eggman is a shit name compared to Robotnik" memes. It's like "Sonic has too many friends" and more recently, the green-eyes/blue-arms meme. Internet autists need to chill the fuck out and focus on the actual shitty parts of the games
>>
>>337853286
The fanbase accepts anything given how those shitty Sonic games sell.
>>
>>337860754
You can't honestly tell me Eggman sounds better than Robotnik
>>
>>337860373
They literally explained in the video that they didn't find out about the name change until much later after the fact.
So it was just western localization that caused the confusion in the first place.
>>
File: the_guardian_by_nerkin.jpg (445 KB, 664x722) Image search: [Google]
the_guardian_by_nerkin.jpg
445 KB, 664x722
>>337858396
>I don't want a celebration game. We just had one on the 20th anniversary.
Generations was the best the series had been in at least a decade, so there's little excuse to put it off.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't try to make this one a mishmash of past titles though. They can only "return to his roots" so many times and still be genuine about it. However, if they manage to make a genuine feeling Sonic Adventure (but polished) or Genesis era title (unlike Sonic 4 nonsense) I guess I could stomach it.
>>
Let's put the name debate to rest
https://youtu.be/4-30RmfYOfg
>>
>>337861391
Wrong video
https://youtu.be/-bNCfEvQFUY
>>
>>337861265
>Generations was the best the series had been in at least a decade, so there's little excuse to put it off.
Not for the fact that it was a celebration game though. But for the fact that it was actually fun to play. They don't have to go back and mine the previous titles for material. And they don't have to make a big deal about an anniversary only 5 years after the previous celebration. Just strip all that bullshit out, and make a normal fucking game. That's all I'm saying. I don't see why people get attached to the idea of a celebration. Fuck a celebration. Make more games worth celebrating.
>>
>>337861671
That's valid. I am awful sick of seeing Green Hill Zone.
>>
>>337861265
>>337861671
>less generations is good meme
Yeah, it's the best in a decade for a 3D game. It's still meh at best. Brain dead boost to win bullshit with little to no momentum 2D segments shoehorned in.
Add in nostalgia from the good Ole days and walla!

Sonic in 3D doesn't work.
Just give up on it.
>>
>>337862084
It features boost as a mechanic. There's virtually no "boost to win." Way too much platforming for that.

>walla
It's Voila, you pleb.
>>
>>337862084
Generations is a good game though. Just for different reasons than what made the classic titles good.

Sonic in 3D could absolutely work. It's just that no one wants to bother implementing proper 3D pinball physics, and balancing that with platforming.
>>
>>337861265

It's kinda worrying that the only thing in Generations that wasn't remixed or taken from a previous game was a terrible boss fight that's among the worst in the whole series
>>
>>337862305
>It features boost as a mechanic. There's virtually no "boost to win." Way too much platforming for that
This is the most objectively incorrect statement I've seen on 4chan
>>
>>337862427
How was your first day on 4chan?
>>
File: 1462584420593.jpg (38 KB, 411x528) Image search: [Google]
1462584420593.jpg
38 KB, 411x528
>>337862479
Holy shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 500x693) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 500x693
>>337852643
Sonic is dead to me
Last good one was Sonic Adventure 2
>>
File: Soniccdimage8.jpg (211 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Soniccdimage8.jpg
211 KB, 1024x768
Just make a game that consists entirely of Unleashed/Colors/Generations modern gameplay. If they have to pad the game out, then pad it out tastefully with stuff like the Unleashed hub worlds, time trial ghosts, online races, Sky Chase levels, playable Tails/Knuckles but with very similar gameplay to Sonic, gimmick acts like in Sonic Colors and so on. Hell, add a Chao Garden if that's what it takes to pad it out enough for AAA retail. NONE of that Werehog treasure hunting third-person shooter bullshit that they tried in the 1999-2008 era. Release this game on Xbox One, PS4 and PC, Wii U if necessary since Nintendo and Sonicfags do seem to go hand in hand.

Then get Taxman and Stealth, with help of a few other creative types, to make a "Sonic 5" of sorts using the IOS/Android engine they've got. Don't actually call it Sonic 5 since that'll just make people remember the sour taste of Sonic 4, but make it a sequel to the Sonic 3 & Knuckles in everything but name. Release this on every phone, console, tablet and toaster known to man for a pricetag of under ten dollarydoos.

It does not seem that hard. I know SEGA aren't in great shape financially and Sonic Team has a few bad eggs but I honestly think if they just took Takashi Iizuka out back and quietly shot him, we'd be much closer to getting a respectable 25th celebration like the one I described
>>
File: latest[1].png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1 MB, 1366x768
CAN HE BE FUCKING TRUSTED? IS BRENDA REALLY THE NEW WENTOS??
>>
>>337862395
Not really, because the things that were remixed were pretty heavily redone. Like the rival battles, and the Robotnik battles.

Time Eater blew, sure. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was one of the last things they did, and just didn't give it the polish it needed.
>>
>>337862965
>Sonic 5
Why not just remove Sonic 4 off of the app store and completely remaster it ala Sonic 1 and 2
>>
>>337862821
Play Generations. You should at least be able to appreciate that one.
>>
>>337862965
>Just make a game that consists entirely of Unleashed/Colors/Generations modern gameplay
I refuse to settle for that mediocre shit fest of hold boost and occasionally jump. No. That's not what we need. They've had 17 years to make 3D work and they have failed every time. I'm done with this experiment which is now 2/3rds of my age.
>>
>>337852643
More boost
Fuck you all I like boost
>>
>>337862965
>consists entirely of unleashed modern gameplay

Thats all that needed to be said. Colors and Generations suck ass compared to unleashed.
>>
>>337863140
Because with Sonic 1 and 2 they took good games and made them better for the Taxman release. With Sonic 4 they'd have to take a shit game and make it good, which is a very different task involving the complete overhaul of most of the physics, level layouts, and even graphics.

And does anybody really care enough about it to want to salvage it?
>>
>>337863140
Sonic 4 needs more than a remaster, it needs physics and probably a complete remake from the ground up to design the levels around these new physics.
>>
>>337863203
I did play generations.
Just because it wasn't as bad as most of the game's immediately before it doesn't mean it's good. It took no risks presented no challenge, and all the while dangled some retro references in my face, which constantly reminded me of m7ch better games I could be playing.

I can't believe it's what passes for a good sonic game by so many people.
>>
>>337863213
Hence the Taxman game

Like it or not there are people who actually really enjoy 3D Sonic, and the boost formula is universally considered pretty damn good by critics were it not for the "extras" like the Werehog they always try shoveling in.

By creating both a Taxman-made Genesis sequel and a Generations sequel/spiritual successor, most people are kept happy
>>
>>337863213
Generations had the most open and explorable 3D levels in the series though
>>
>>337863403
You're blowing this a bit out of proportion. It is a solid game, even ignoring the previous atrocities. And there are plenty of side-challenges that are legitimately challenging, even if completing the base levels are not. I didn't care for the minigame-esque presentation, but that's a nitpick.
>>
>>337863543
Werehog > rehash colors acts/generations classic sonic

I was just playing rooftop run and cool edge night last night. I forgot how much fun the werehog actually was. Granted, you need to unlock some combos and learn the jumping trick where you stay as a ball, but I was really surprised. It was like playing a mini cuhrazy game but with platforming. They should rehire the guy who directed Unleashed and get him to make something similar, a sequel even.
>>
>>337863347
>>337863346
Forget just new physics and a complete remake, how about original levels and in one game?
Like I don't know, Badnik Bigtop Zone? Jade Jungle Zone?
>>
>>337863780
They're comfy until the battle music starts playing.
>>
>>337864048
I put a CD with the appropriate music in my xbox and burned it to the hard drive and made a playlist. Keeps the games sound effects and no battle music interuptions.

Also EGGMANLAND. That is the best fucking final level in the series by a mile. There is nothing more satisfying than beating that level with no deaths. I love all the content, DLC, hubs, presentation, and gameplay of Unleashed. I hadnt played it in a few years after burning out on it and was just getting back into it yesterday. I never had a problem with the werehog and thought it was just kinda there, but actually getting into it was fun. Im going to find all the medals and media collectibles that I missed back when I played it a fuck ton in 2008-2011.
>>
>>337863780

>mini cuhrazy game

You're so delusional, you mash Y to kill hordes of braindead, generic enemies.
It might have been alright if it focused more on raw platforming and environmental navigation instead of combat and block pushing/gem hunts. But they didn't so too bad, it's shit.
>>
>>337864721
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Skills_%28Sonic_Unleashed%29

Idk m8 seems surprisingly developed to me for apparently just being a "random forgotten gameplay mode". You can mash Y but there are a good amount of moves available and you need to do finishers if you want S ranks since they give tons of points. The only level thats really combat heavy is arid sands. They cut out the platforming bit at the end at the last second. Did something similar with jungle joyride night too.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 450x633) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 450x633
what will it take for him to become mainstream again?
>>
File: SONICK.gif (363 KB, 723x494) Image search: [Google]
SONICK.gif
363 KB, 723x494
>there are people who unironically enjoyed the Werehog
it certainly wasnt the worst thing in the world, I'll admit, but it's killed by a combination of three things
>that fucking enemy music
>on a first playthrough, and even moreso on later playthroughs actually, you will spend more time in the campaign playing as Werehog than playing as Sonic himself, the reason I buy Sonic games
>It does literally nothing unique or different compared to other games of its genre, it's just babby's first God Of War if you could even be that generous
>BONUS ANNOYING FACTOR: I remember multiple precision platforming moments with Werehog across thin chasms and the like when the camera would just autoshift at the worst possible moment to dick me over
Unleashed wasn't terrible. I liked the day stages. I liked the hubs. Hell, I wasn't completely against the hotdog missions, the Tails' Tornado segments or the QTEs, but Werehog still struck me as the fly in the soup, as it were
>>
>>337865192
Why would you even be against the hotdog missions which are just extra challenge acts, TWO mini games of Tornado Defense that are over in a few minutes and serve as transitions to new areas, and QTEs that were a one and done deal for the series.

Download the apotos DLC. Act 1-2 gives you 50 bars of EXP in 5 minutes. Max out strength and combos. Otherwise you wouldnt even need to play as it. You can play the day levels and hot dog challenges just fine and rack up a lot of exp that way. Fuck, even eating certain food gives a lot of exp and can be bought cheap at Wentos. Those criticisms are fine but they can easily be overcome if you put in the smallest effort to. But rather than adapt to the games unique features/elements, youll come here and bitch about it. And as a result we get shallow crap like colors, generations, lost world now with no challenge, no replay value, and rehashed areas out the ass.
>>
>>337865116
3 Strong games in quick succession. And everyone will write how he rose from the ashes.
>>
>>337865651
How can you like Unleashed but think Generations is shallow? Modern Sonic is literally Daytime stages, but better.
>>
>>337865806
It honestly wouldn't be impossible to pull off.
>New retro genesis Sonic game
>New high budget boost game for 25th anniversary
>some Sonic origins game or something
>>
>>337865835
Generations stages suck compared to Unleashed day stages. Shorter, more 2D, and slower. Generic 2D platforming isnt a substitute for the wild ride and challenge that Unleashed stages are. Unleashed handled it best. Act 1 is pure speed and surprise, and the bonus acts were like courses, done in 2D, more platform heavy. Everyone could be satisfied. And at the base of it all was quick reflexes. Unleashed does everything Generations does but better
>>
>>337865651
>But rather than adapt to the games unique features/elements you'll come here and bitch about it
Why should I have to adapt to babby's first God Of War when I brought the game to play Sonic? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
>>
>>337865985
>for 25th anniversary
You're still on that bullshit? What the hell is your and everyone's obsession with the 25th?
>>
>>337866834
They don't have to celebrate too much, but for 25 years of Sonic, I'd hope they'd have something good this year
HD complilation, Sonic 4 remake, Boost, I'll take anything at this point
>>
>>337866240

You're expecting a reasonable answer from a guy who thinks the werehog is comparable to DMC and thinks you're just entitled for not buying DLC to slightly speed up getting past a mediocre slog of a game mode that takes up most of the game?
>>
>>337867017
Or how about they put all their focus on making a NEW good game. Why revisit shit you can easily emulate? HD collection? Pointless. Sonic 4 remake? Waste of money time and resources. Sonic 4 borrowed heavily from previous games anyway. Boost? How about an improvement to that formula? How many boost games are they going to make?
Rush, Rush 2, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, the handheld copies of colors and generations. How about make the boost mechanic a little better than "press button to fast".
>>
>>337866240
Then dont. Play the game through once, dissect what you like and what you dont, play what you like, which is some of the best in the series, ignore what you dont and the end. Ill take the werehog over the dozens of trash mini levels that make up the bulk of colors and generations though, but if you like those more just because you dont transform and its 2D instead of 3D, then thats fine too. Stop acting like a fucking baby and making it seem like it physically hurts you or some shit though, thats just so gay sounding

>>337867056
Not comparable. I called it mini/lite from the start and it certainly has more depth than other brawlers aimed at kids. You can just mash X and Y sure but youre missing out on a lot of fun moves. http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Skills_%28Sonic_Unleashed%29

Paying $2 to get tons of EXP fast and some new levels to go with it isnt gonna hurt you either, you stop being a bitch too
>>
>>337867269
well, that too.
>>
>>337867358

> you stop being a bitch too

Says the guy who comes into every Sonic thread crying and throwing his own shit at the walls because people don't like the werehog.
>>
File: (you).jpg (52 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
52 KB, 612x380
>>337867358
>Stop acting like a fucking baby and making it seem like it physically hurts you or some shit though, thats just so gay sounding
You're a retard, I never said anything of the sort, but here's a (you) for your troubles anyway. I simply don't want anything like that shit to show up in FUTURE Sonic games, which is what this thread is about.

>>337866834
>>337867269
When people talk about the 25th anniversary Sonic game, they mean just that: a Sonic game, preferably a high-budget one, that comes out in the year 2016. It doesn't have to be a complete fanwank of Sonic's history: Sonic Adventure 2 was the 10th anniversary game remember?
>>
One problem of those 3D games is when they want to go 2D and you realize the mechanics are shite, and how better 2D sonics were made 20 years ago
>>
File: 2greatthings.png (14 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
2greatthings.png
14 KB, 500x375
I just want pinball physics. I want halfpipes and bumpers and rolling into a ball to go fast. I want loops.

>your face when corkscrews are treated like a giant Sonic Stapleā„¢ when the only time they show up is Emerald Hill and Leaf Forest
>>
>>337869074
So, a classic Sonic game?
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 707x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 707x563
>>
File: 20160516143259_1.jpg (779 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160516143259_1.jpg
779 KB, 2560x1440
>>337869440
Not necessarily. It doesn't have to be Classic to have physics. Just ask the fans.
>>
File: 1462070396976.jpg (155 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
1462070396976.jpg
155 KB, 700x714
>>337853459
> Coins
> Muh save feature
Get out, newfag.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 320x224
>>
>>337864435
> Also EGGMANLAND. That is the best fucking final level in the series by a mile.
... Anon. I honestly like Unleashed too, but... Eggmanland? The best? When on first playthrough it takes 60+ mins, minimum? Challenge is one thing, but that's absurd.
>>
>>337872856
>60 minute SONIC LEVEL
What the fuck
>>
>>337872856
Going from 60 minutes to 11 minutes is the satisfying part. There is no better final level in the series. Eggmanland expects you to use everything you know and learned from the game, has surprises of its own, and is very intense overall with its sections and pacing
>>
File: image.jpg (210 KB, 1024x1301) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210 KB, 1024x1301
>>
>>337854096
Then you can enter a sequence at the sound test and get all 8 emeralds, then you just have to collect 50 rings and jump to become super sonic, your rings decreases over time and you lose SS when you hit zero rings.

Fucking nostalgia.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.