[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is pirating video games morally justified?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: pirat.jpg (26 KB, 744x415) Image search: [Google]
pirat.jpg
26 KB, 744x415
Is pirating video games morally justified?
>>
>>337802812
>morally
>>
who cares? just do it or don't. what are ya, a christian or somethin', boy?
>>
What is a morally justified action?
>>
>>337802812
If the game is decent enough to play but the developers are shit and don't deserve your shekels, then yes.
>>
No, but you're implying that /v/ cares about it being morally just.
>>
>>337802812
Really depends on the reason why you cannot buy the original game and would rather pirate it.

For example, if you live in a poor country but wanna play a game but can't due to being poor, it's ok to pirate.
>>
>>337802887
I am a poor student with little disposable income, and I say to myself that if I couldn't pirate it, i wouldn't buy the game anyway.
But I cant help but to feel that I am unfair towards the people who actually pay for the game, because it is their money that pays for my entertainment.
>>
>>337802812
morally? a little
financially? a lot
>>
>>337803231
fuck 'em buddy. i pay for games and i don't mind. use your money for more important shit.
>>
Yes, it is. Sometimes.

Not everyone lives in a medium class suburb with a desktop gamrr living the American dream. Imagine people from those places where the companies don't care. Where is very expensive or hard to find games. This is when pirating games is justified.

Also, old games. If a want to play Blackthorne what should I do? Go searsh for a Nintendo and the cartridge? And games that you simple can't buy anymore.

For me specially, I am pirating everything from Nintendo because of it's lack of interest in players, especially Brazilian players. Everything from Nintendo here is very expensive, they never lower the price of the games, hell DS games ends up being more expensive since they arent being fabricated anymore. So yeah, I am going to pirate it.
>>
>>337802812
nothing is morally justified
>>
>>337802812
everything is morally justified
>>
>>337802812
Some things are morally justified.
>>
>>337802812
If you take usually scummy marketing practices of companies into account then it's not morally justified, you're morally obligated to pirate.
>>
>>337802812
>justified
Nigga I don't justify shit. I take what I want because I can. Ain't about right or wrong and morals don't even come into play. I have money now, a good job and all that, yet I still pirate. Do what you want and let suckers subsidize your gaming experiences.
>>
>>337802940
Whatever the society you currently live in deems right.

Basically, OP asks if it's right or wrong to pirate.
>>
>>337804319
*tips*
>>
>>337804319
I wish I could feel that way, but I am still bothered that pirating might make me a bad person.

>>337804142
Is that so? Can't I just not play the game?
>>
>>337802812
I don't even care. I just pirate the game, play it then I delete it. No remorse.
>>
>>337802812
Is being a faggot morally justified?
>>
>>337802812
Just buy keys off ebay, use them and demand a refund saying the key didn't work. This works for steam wallet codes also. People aren't allowed to sell these on ebay.
>>
If it's a triple A title from the likes of Ubisoft or Activision, pirate the shit out of it. Lord knows what rehashed shit they pump out every year, plus they get enough money from people buying CoD and AC every year so who cares. I'd have a harder time pirating an indie game though because I know the budgets are limited and some spend years of their life trying to live off a $10 game. I understand these people aren't living poor or broke as fuck but they still struggle. I guess it's just a judgement call on your end at that point.
>>
>>337802812
It widely depends on the game and the producer.

I pirate to see if a game is good. If it's good, then I buy it. When it's not, then I don't.
>>
Who cares? Free games
>>
File: 5635234423.jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
5635234423.jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>337802812
it's fucking free, if I like a game enough I might buy it, if not, I will pirate everything the industry shits

deal with it
>>
File: 658774511864.png (69 KB, 273x424) Image search: [Google]
658774511864.png
69 KB, 273x424
Is making shit games morally justified?
>>
No because morality is subjective.
>>
>>337809349
>making shit video games = ok

>piriting video games = not ok

why is America so morally wrong
>>
Fuck off to Reddit nigger
>>
Name a developer who would go under if they lost $60. None of them would.

A dev is *potentially* going to miss out on $60.

I don't feel bad at all.
>>
File: 1402517820212.jpg (18 KB, 367x295) Image search: [Google]
1402517820212.jpg
18 KB, 367x295
It is consumer protection in a market that has been stripped completely of such protections.
>>
>>337809412

Exactly my point. Not just the USA though.
>>
>>337802812
phil fish
>>
>Pirateing AAA games

Why the fuck not? They make millions. If sales go down because of Pirateing, it might even force them to make good games.

>Smaller indie titles

I always pay for indie stuff, it's not like they are rolling in millions. That said a shit game should be punished for being shit, and that's why Gabe our Lord installed the refund button.

Kikestarters can fuck off, get a loan, make a product and THEN sell it to me.
>>
>>337802812
At this rate with scam citizens and mad max type of games.... Yes
>>
>>337809739
True, but it is abused massively.
It's like if steam had no limit on refunds and all you had to do was click a "refund" button to get back all your money. People would abuse the shit out of it.
>>
>>337803231
Just do what I do, pirate game, and then when you can afford it buy it.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461896457545.jpg (9 KB, 236x166) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461896457545.jpg
9 KB, 236x166
>>337802812
Hell yeah it's morally justified you nig nogs
>>
>>337810356
Also buying it depends on if it's shit or not.
>>
I think the only interesting case is when the game is no longer in print and you'd be buying it on the secondhand market. Even then, companies probably look at secondhand prices to see what styles of media are popular
>>
>>337802812
no, but who cares?
>>
>>337802812
Who cares if its moral or not? Is it lawful?
>>
>>337802812
Sometimes.

If the HD remake is fucked. Preservation of the original version is the most important thing.
>>
>>337802812
yes

there once was a study in Denmark that showed that digital piracy actually improved the quality of life while not hurting the industry
>>
Is it "morally justifiable"?

I don't fucking care. It makes no difference to me. I'm not going to buy the game, ever, and I'm not going to play it if there's no way to get it for free, so in the end I really could not give a shit if the company that makes "Generic AAA title X" goes out of business because of me.

If you're going to ask if pirating is immoral, should we also make it illegal to pass a game by on the shelf and not buy it? Either way, the company is losing a sale, right?
>>
You pirate to pirate. You don't have to make sure it's morally justified.

If there's a game that you can either pay for or get for free, why would you not get the free version?
>>
>>337802812
Is jewing out your customers morally justified?
>>
>>337802812
I know what I'm doing, I know that it's bad, on the other hand so do companies that make half-baked shit.
>>
>>337802940
Nuking japan
>>
If you need to morally justify it you know you are doing something bad already.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.