[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup guys I'm looking for some turn based JRPG recommendation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
Sup guys I'm looking for some turn based JRPG recommendation. I'm interested for JRPGs with unique/creative combat mechanics.

Here are some examples of what I already played and liked:

>Radiant Historia
The combat being about moving the enemies in lines was a fun concept.
>Earthbound
I guess not so unique anymore but stuff like a rolling health bar and auto winning if you outleveled the enemy was interesting.
>Grandia 3
The plot was boring as fuck but I liked the combat system here because it felt very different compared to other JRPGs.
>Trails in the Sky
Being able to move your characters around in combat actually felt fresh in an JRPG.

Can you recommend me anything else?
>>
>>337801571
Have you tried Dragon Quest games yet?
>>
>>337801771
Dragon Quest is a classic franchise but I never felt like it's games ever had any innovative combat mechanics
>>
>>337802003
Fair enough, DQ is more worldbuilding

Dq5 might be up your alley since you can recruit monsters you beat
>>
Played Bravely default recently and it is one of the best Jrpgs I've played in a long time. I'm now currently playing the sequel.
It has a lot of different/unique jobs to level, good story, and enjoyable character development.
>>
>>337801571
You might like Undertale
>>
Mother 3's combat was better because of the regular hit system and the rolling HP being slower, meaning that you had better control over it and had more time to properly deal with it.

Pokemon and SMT are unique because of the focus on exploiting weaknesses, status effects being a ot more important, and team building. but in Pokemon's case, you might need to play it with a hard mode hack or self imposed rules to really get the most out of the combat in single player.
>>
>>337803157
Undertale is an okay game but bullet hell isn't really up my alley
>>
Try Grandia 2 out since its out on PC now with the recent remaster. More of the same and less features in combat, graphics are outdated but the story is considered to be the best in the series. Unpopular opinion: 1st game is the best one

Dunno if you're playing on a PS2 or emu but check these and see what tickles your fancy:
Xenosaga trilogy
Wild Arms 3/4/5
Shadow Hearts 1/2
Dark Cloud 1/2
Tales of the Abyss
.Hack GU trilogy

Plenty of games for PS2 honestly. There are more but pick even one of these and you'll be invested in it/them for some time. The genre gives an emphasis to story rather than gameplay so its hard to recommend games with innovative controls at least ones that aren't shit.
>>
Trails of Cold Steel has the same combat mechanics but they have been greatly improved on. Writing isn't as good though.
Etrian Odyssey has my favorite JRPG combat. It's simplen but the difficulty and party synergy make it better than most other combat systems.
Also, almost any SMT game has great combat. Not a popular opinion but I enjoy SMT IV's combat the most becuase of how fast and deadly it is. One minor fuck up can get your party wiped in seconds.
>>
>>337804241
>playing Grandia II on PC with that shit tier dub
>not the superior undub
kek
>>
File: 1462950314251.png (129 KB, 314x278) Image search: [Google]
1462950314251.png
129 KB, 314x278
>>337804927
Are you retarded?
The anniversary edition has jap voices option.
>>
>>337805061
>playing on PC
>not Dreamcast
kys
>>
>>337801571
Seconding this
>>337804241
I liked Radiant Historia too, Shadow Hearts has a good battle system. With Shadow Hearts FTNW being the best system in the series

My fave is still with the 2nd game tho
>>
File: 1460007112753.jpg (38 KB, 362x346) Image search: [Google]
1460007112753.jpg
38 KB, 362x346
>>337805238
The latest patch enables 60fps in battles, fixes any bug DC or PS2 version had. Somebody even made a mod for HQ OST in-game, you can find it on the steam community.

Do you have brain problems or are those nostalgia goggles super glued?
>>
>>337804241
>Shadow Hearts 1/2
Digital release when?
>>
>>337803084
>Bravely Default
>not generic as fuck
>>
>>337806823
the first isn't all that generic.
The sequel is a completely different story.
>>
>>337801571
If you've already played and beaten Earthbound, play Mother 3.

Also seconding >>337802864 , DQ5 is one of the funnest RPG games I've played, and has an interesting story to boot..
>>
>>337807558
The sequel is just a shitty FFV knockoff with even older FF crystal bullshit and one new gameplay mechanic that easymodes an already painfully easy game. With a bad plot and unlikable, uninteresting cast.

BD is this generation's Secret of the Stars/Beyond the Beyond, except weebs have devolved so much they now praise it.
>>
>>337801571
Mother 3 has a unique rhythm based combat
>>
>>337801571

Final Fantasy 10 was recently released on Steam. Get that.
>>
>>337801571
play legend of legaia
>>
>>337801571
FF7 with the new threat mod 1.4
One of the best things I've ever played.
>>
>>337805896
It's the same kind of people who are constantly shitposting about how others should boycott the FFX remaster because MUH NOSTALGIA GOGGLES
>>
bum
>>
File: RPJE7U-14.png (3 MB, 1920x1032) Image search: [Google]
RPJE7U-14.png
3 MB, 1920x1032
>>337801571
You'd probably like Arc Rise Fantasia, thats what I'm currently playing. The main mechanic is that the party shares one pool of action-points, but there's also many other mechanics that are gradually added to it like being able to synchronize spells, chaining combos, breaking guards etc.
It starts out rather slow but gets better at a reasonable pace. The bossfights are awesome, they're pretty challenging but you can tell that they put effort into designing them.
The story is pretty standard fare so far but I really like the Tales of-vibe the main party gives off. I think it was co-produced by some of the Tales-developers.

If you play this; SEARCH FOR THE UNDUB. The game probably has the most hilariously terrible dubs of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg9u340JERg
>>
>>337801571
Dark Chronicle (aka Dark Cloud 2) is my all-time FAVORITE jrpg, one of the few games that did so many things right.
great visual style, fun combat, nice upbeat music and a fuckton of minigames stuff
>>
File: RPJE7U-24.png (2 MB, 1920x1032) Image search: [Google]
RPJE7U-24.png
2 MB, 1920x1032
>>337815840
keeping this bumped for self interest btw
>>
I would kill for a portable port of Xenogears.
>>
>>337818392
PSP
>>
>>337819080
Does this actually exist?
>>
>>337820912
The PSP? Yeah. It's pretty good.
>>
>>337815840
I can second this game. It gets really fucking difficult as well, so if OP is looking for a challenge then I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
>>
>>337819080
>>337820912
>>337821152
Well I'll be a shit covered dick.
>>
>>337821909
Also on Vita.
>>
>>337822178
Awesome that the first thing that comes up on google is the iso.
>>
File: growlanser iv.jpg (849 KB, 640x1112) Image search: [Google]
growlanser iv.jpg
849 KB, 640x1112
>>337801571
Growlanser IV has one of the best battle systems. Battles take place on a map, like a TRPG, but there's no grid so you can move freely. The game is turn based but different actions take more time to complete, including movement, so you can control your characters to a very fine degree. You can equip materia to customize your characters' abilities, you can charge magic or use fusion spells, and more. Many fights require some sort of tactics to beat, though the game isn't particularly hard overall.
There's a patch that puts voices back in, by the way.
>>
>>337823337
Waifubait:The Game
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.