[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens if steam goes away How will devs distribute games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
What happens if steam goes away

How will devs distribute games?

Will we keep our libraries?
>>
>>337793416

>What happens if steam goes away

GOG wins.

>How will devs distribute games?

GOG.

>Will we keep our libraries?

GOG.
>>
>>337793416
It won't go away, it's a part of PC ecosystem. The only way for Steam to go away is nuking every Steam data center. Even if Valve goes bankrupt someone will pick from where they left. Steam will die only when conventional computers will die and that will be a sad day indeed.
>>
>>337793694
Maybe it won't die but it's likely that one day it will become so shit that it's good as dead
In that case you lose everything
>>
I'll kill myself
There are other companies that do the same shit steam does
No
>>
>>337793416
If the unlikely were to happen and Steam somehow becomes unprofitable, like all other businesses, someone else will come in and take over. The name will probably change from Steam to whatever the new owners prefer. There shouldn't be a reason why anyone would lose their account. That would lead to a very large class action lawsuit. Stop worrying and keep playing your games.
>>
>>337793416
Everybody will move to GOG.
>>
>>337793416
>Steam going away
Hheuheuheuheu
>>
>>337793416
I doubt steam will shut down, at this point it's the king of online game distribution. If it gets shut down, I doubt we will get any of the games back, and devs will probably use GOG or origin (ew)
>>
>>337793416
I wouldn't give a shit, i already either pirate my games or buy them on gog
>>
>>337793782
Possible, but probably won't happen.
>>
>>337793416
>What happens if steam goes away
unless a giant meteor hits the planet it's not going anywhere. even if for some wacky reason valve were to suddenly run out of money, someone else would buy them and take over, you already have EA and ubishit waiting in the wings.

>How will devs distribute games?
the same way they do now, except on a different client.

sure, unless you jump ship to another service obviously.

the only thing that threatens steam is something happening to internet infrastructure where you cant download your games.
>>
We have offline mode, so yes.
>>
>>337793995
What if gog goes down?
>>
>>337793782
>it's likely that one day it will become so shit that it's good as dead

In that scenario it would die because nobody would WANT to use it, yourself included presumably. Though I can't imagine what would have to happen to make people abandon thousands of dollars worth of games like that.
>>
what happens if money goes away?
how do we buy things?
>>
My entire library is already installed, just set Steam to offline and the games are still playable. Unless Gabe Jewell has some failsafe in the client so that it has to 'phone home' every month or so. Also some games like GTA V won't work at all after a week unless it regularly connects to the server.
>>
>>337793416
Didn't someone from Valve say that if Steam went down, unlikely unless there's some massive lawsuit that bankrupts them, they would give a time window for everyone to download their libraries without the DRM?
And devs would find somewhere else to sell their games. Their own online store, official websites for the indies, or some other Steam equivalent would pop up.
>>
>>337794386
the good old fashioned way: rape and pillage
>>
>>337794430
No. It's a myth spread by valvedrones, but there is no actual statement on the matter from Valve.
Steam Subscriber Agreement says your Subscriptions can be terminated in the event Valve shuts down their service. That's all that's legally relevant.
>>
>>337794386
A chickun for your daughter my good sir.
>>
>>337793694
WON was part of the PC ecosystem. A lot of games used it.
Valve shut it down without a second thought when they introduced Steam. Except for Valve's own games all other games that relied on WON stopped working that day.
>>
>>337794108
Offline mode only works on your current machine and if you have the games already installed.
If you get a new PC or new OS and want to reinstall your games, you are fucked.
>>
>>337794109
Then i will be very very sad and either proceed pirating my games or start buying phisical eiditons again. All in all it depends ion whether another platform of digital drm free distribution emerges or not.
>>
>>337794694
Damn. Still, if they were to go down I could see someone finding a way to get rid of the DRM more easily. Or just pirate everything you owned.
>>
File: 1415417743720.png (149 KB, 392x342) Image search: [Google]
1415417743720.png
149 KB, 392x342
People said the same for oil companies that have been running since mid 1800s.
Pretty sure Steam is eternal now.
>>
>>337793537
GOG will never be the largest gaming platform simply because it's DRM-free only. Good luck convincing AAA publishers to put their games on there.
>>
>>337794896

Things go different in an industry that probably grown hundredfold since those days.

If Valve/Steam ever goes to shit - someone will buy it and make it their own.
>>
>>337793416
Origin
Origin
No
>>
>>337793416
PC gaming would die
>>
>>337795435
Just like Valve bought WON, gutted it and then shut it down, right?
>>
>>337795676

Possibly, sure - unlikely? Extremely so.
Valve is a terrible dev but they have done an extremely good job at putting themselves in the middle of everything.
And the market size is so vastly different - pulling the plug on WON and starting Steam probably saved money as opposed to trying to plug Steam and replace it with anything X

something has to do badly first for you to consider it to be removed or replaced.
>>
>>337793537
But GOG is shit anon, if I wanted abandonware games I could get them for free literally anywhere else
>>
>>337795845
>Valve is a terrible dev
nice meme
>>
>>337793416
You have 48 hours to download your game library.

b....but the drm?! m....muh download space!? n....not enough Memory!?

steam response
tough shit, we never said how you get the games or if we would remove DRM for you.
>>
>>337796034

They don't even make games now so I guess you are right.

Buying up mods and selling them does not make a good dev, especially when they try to sell mods after.
>>
>>337796046
>steam response
pshhhh nothin' persnewell, kid
>>
>>337796103
that desn't make them bad at deveoping games, it makes them a bad marketing and publishing.
>>
>>337796225

Actually its the opposite.
>>
>>337793416
>Steam

>going away
>>
>>337794896
>WON was part of the PC ecosystem
No it wasn't, it was an addition to it, just like Games for Windows LIVE or Gamespy. Steam is a little bit more than just the online servers for games
>>
>>337795845
The longer you keep a service like Steam running the more money it costs because you have to support all the old games people have in their libraries.
This is fine as long as Valve makes piles of cash selling worthless virtual items to DOTA kids, but this will not last forever.
>>
>>337796502

Actually it works pretty well as long as you collect a whopping 30% on every purchase made through your tool.

'legacy' support costs very little for Valve, servers are cheap as shit in comparison
>>
>>337796502
>The longer you keep a service like Steam running the more money it costs because you have to support all the old games people have in their libraries.
All they have to provide is bandwidth, it's not like they offer any support or anything
>>
>>337796318
While this is far fetched idea for the near future, maybe even a decade. It will get replaced eventually.
>>
>>337796605
Game prices are becoming ever lower, big publishers are moving their expensive titles to their own platforms and more and more competition is arising. (Win10 Store, Oculus Store, keysellers/humble/gog, etc., Consoles becoming more competitive with regular hardware upgrades)

30% of falling revenue is still less money with little change in operating cost.
>>
Steam has become an incurable cancer. I imagine the majority of /v/ by this point don't even remember a pre-Steam PC gaming.
>>
>>337793416
Not gonna happen.
>>
>>337797339

You are still extremely overestimating their operating costs.

All you mentioned is true but Steam still has an unwavering 90%.
Those competitor shops are far more likely to die out while Steam could vegetate along on their current setup for another twenty years - and man all the sidebusiness, the cards, the items, the "let the community create what we sell", Steam could stay afloat forever with these if people never smarten the fuck up.
>>
File: Pirate.jpg (47 KB, 457x640) Image search: [Google]
Pirate.jpg
47 KB, 457x640
>>337793416
No.
>>
>>337797339
Kek Windows 10 store is never gonna compete with Steam. You are cancer if you think Windows 10 store is a good thing.
>>
>>337795168
People were worried about their personal oil libraries vanishing?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.