[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
What is /v/ thoughts on Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen?
>>
It's breddy gud.
Combat is fun, although some vocations need better balance.
The open world sucks ass, there's no incentive to explore, because everything is locked behind story quests. Evidently lots of content has been cut from the final game.
BBI is really cool, despite some copypasted areas. Or at least until you realize you don't actually have to fight any monsters to get the best weapons and armor, you just have to loot the right chests and pray to RNGods.
>>
Absolutely fantastic despite any flaws.
>>
Fantastic for one lengthy playthrough, but it doesn't have the content or depth to match its ambition.
>>
>>337777583
It's a masterwork.
Get it, you can't go wrong.
>>
>>337777583
>Xbox
Mediocre game, with a great concept.

>PC
Great game with a great concept.

Essentially its:
>Skyrim: If I Were Good Edition
>>
Seriously tho
What is the Brine?
>>
>>337778178
Brine is the one true God, since it's stronger than the Seneschal.
>>
awesome game. my only down side is how small the world his and very little enemy verity.
>>
>>337777583
POP QUIZ! Fill in the blank:

Wolves hunt in _________
>>
>>337778469
Wooded areas close to their dens.
>>
i should check how's my qt pawn doing
>>
>>337778178
A countless number of microscopic magic surface-skimming piranhas made of smoke.

They'll eat people but are kind enough to just safely deposit an Arisen to the shore.
>>
1. needs more active skills
2. needs more deep stat system imo
3. pawns are really anoying and retarded (I've thrown my first and only pawn in the ocean in the very begining of the game and played solo)
>>
>>337778469

packages?
>>
>>337777583
It's got the best online gameplay gimmick I've ever seen in a game. It's overall a good game, but it's certainly not without flaws.

I find that the combat really isn't as good as people claim it to be (climbing monsters for instance is a fucking joke once you get onto the more impressive ones that aren't found willy nilly in the countryside), the world is pretty small but it's populated with enemies that will serve as obstacles making short jaunts feel a lot longer (sometimes not a good thing). The story and character exposition is also pretty average. It has some really neat moments where some characters are displayed beautifully, and the story picks up, but there's always NPCs that are the epitome of cardboard cut-out NPCs with no real character development or interesting narrative to tell. The quest/vendor system is also nonsensical sometimes, with certain sidequests requiring you to double back with no indicator or warning to areas at the beginning of the game to check mission boards/vendors which have long stopped being useful to you.
>>
>>337778609
>pawns are really anoying and retarded

because your a bad parent.
>>
>>337778609
> he couldn't teach his pawns how to play catch using animals

They can be very useful if they're taught right.
>>
>>337779059
Not as good online gimmick as Souls games have, but close.
In the days of modern gaming, where lots of games require you to log into Steam/Uplay/EA/Battle.net/etc anyway, I'd really like to see more creative indirect online interaction between players of this sort.
>>
I love when pawns pick up bad habits like looking for coins in Gran Soren's fountain
>>
Pros
>Combat is fun, varied, and generally well designed
>Pawn system is pretty decent gimmick and sometimes has interesting AI system
>Character creation is 10/10
>Fighting monsters is 10/10
>BBI is really good
Cons
>Open world is boring as hell, static, and very repetitive considering how linear it is
>Quests are either frustrating or bland
>Graphics (especially outdoors) is mediocre
>Can be repetitive
It's 7/10. Seems like that DDO is essentially this but with coop and better contents.
>>
>>337779269
I figured someone may post this, but Souls games never impressed me much with their online play because of how closely it was tied not only to internet quality but geographical distance between players and the servers. When I played DeS almost everyone had shit connections and to my knowledge there was no way to know what an invader's ping was, so hit detection was going to be crazy and you couldn't even predict how crazy it was going to be. When I moved on to DaS I just ran into more of the same, the only thing that the souls series really did innovatively was the messaging system, otherwise it was just a dude fighting you or helping you.

>>337778609
>>337779296
This is the reason I think that DD:DA pawn system is so cool, if you really read through the guides and dev interviews pawns will actually learn from their master. Technically you should be able to use potions and the chairs of knowledge to change pawn inclination so they operate as they should, but the devs noticed no one ever fucking did that and they just made the pawn slowly shift it's inclination and combat behavior based on the players behavior. For instance, if a pawn and a player both have corona slash and the player continuously uses it as an opening attack on hobgoblins then the pawn will slowly begin to favor that attack as their opener. the pawns will also mimic engagement range and the frequency that you stop to pick shit up.

It's a bit annoying because casters and ranged combatants may have a close range specialized pawn that will proceed to try to fight at range, but a couple of potions will fix that.
>>
>>337780015
>messaging system
There are also ghosts, blood stains, drifting items and vagrants.
>>
>>337780015
But pawn learning myth has been debunked.
Their behaviour only depends on bestiary knowledge.
>>
i just bought this today and i'm about to make a loli character, whats the funnest class to play first?
>>
>>337778135
nice
>>
>>337781329
Knight
>>
>>337781352
thanks i was leaning towards a melee class anyways. should my pawn just be a healer/mage?
>>
>>337781626
That's up to you
>>
>>337781352
>Knight
Who?
>>
>>337781329
They're all pretty fun to play as. Except the support magic class, because that's mostly for healing. Personally, I like playing warrior when I'm fighting bosses. Outs such a good feeling to land a fully charged arc of obliteration. Assassin is fun too since you can go sanic fast
>>
>>337781727
I meant Fighter, fuck I forgot
>>
>>337781794
It's such*
>>
>>337781794
>fully charged arc of obliteration.
>does less damage than FHB
It's okay in the base game I guess.

Assassin and Fighter are more fun for me, because they have more and better counter-attack moves.
>>
>>337778469
The nighttime!

Traveling alone off the roads as an assassin you always have to listen sudden running and growling as they surround you.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.