[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The bow and arrow is my absolute favorite weapon. What are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7
File: bow.png (4 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
bow.png
4 KB, 284x177
The bow and arrow is my absolute favorite weapon. What are some good games where archery is viable?
>>
>>337774898
>Liking bow and arrow
What are you? A woman?
>>
Dragon's Dogma had some pretty cool archery related combat.
>>
Skyrim
>>
>>337774898
Far Cry 3
>>
Mount & Blade Warband

prepare to get buttfucked
>>
>>337774997
>correlation
>
>>
>>337774898
dark messiah
>>
>>337775314
Only a woman could possibly enjoy such a prissy weapon.
>>
Vagante
>>
>>337774898
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBMMQdQy68
>>
>>337775250
Horseback archery is broken as shit in that game if you can aim well. As long you don't 100% rely on it, it gives you such a big edge on every fight.
>>
>>337775512

> not using Nord Masterrace
> not being bearded blond Viking
> scrub.
>>
>>337775315

>bow

>in kicking simulator

Wtfrudoin.jpg
>>
Overwatch
>>
Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Dragon's Dogma, Tomb Raider 2013
>>
>>337774898
Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers
>>
>>337775649
Sarranid masterrace, sand niggers best niggers. Second best in everything is best.
>>
>>337775117
I came to post this. Stealth archery, the game.
>>
The latest Tomb Raider games. Everything but the bow was practically an after thought.
>>
File: Stealth Archery.png (1 MB, 800x3176) Image search: [Google]
Stealth Archery.png
1 MB, 800x3176
>>337775817
Skyrim archery is boring af though
>>
>>337774898
life is strange
>>
Amulets & Armour
>>
Mount & Blade Warband
>>
you don't have to say "the bow and arrow" when you're just referring to the bow

you don't hear people saying, "the gun and bullet" or "the sword and hand" or "you and the dicks inside"
>>
Wii Sports
>>
>>337775907
Didn't try it in Skyrim, but it was so fucking awful in Oblivion. Arrows would behave as if they were made out of rubber, bouncing around stuff. This janky garbage triggered me so bad.
>>
monster hunter
>>
>>337776879
bows can also shoot bolts

checkmate
>>
>>337775043
>Dragon's Dogma had some pretty cool archery related combat.

While archery was god tier in that game... it's also not realistic at all.
>>
File: Archer.jpg (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Archer.jpg
48 KB, 800x600
Fate/Extra
Fate/Unlimited Codes
>>
>>337775117
Archery is the only good thing in skyrim
>>
I really liked using the bow in Far Cry 3.
>tfw taking out an entire outpost with the bow and arrow, never getting seen
>taking them out one by one
>never staying in one spot
>im a fucking ghost
>the guards are panicking because their friends just suddenly have arrows in their eyes
>>
royal paladin in tibia desu
>>
>>337774997
>Women
>Strong enough to use a bow
lmao
>>
Thinking about it now, bow and arrow is litterally the only weapon that makes sense for stealth.

>muh silencers
Shits actually loud as fuck
>>
>>337779973
>Get shot in the back
>AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH
Nice and sneaky
>>
Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight
>>
>>337780020
>not shooting them in the face
i guarantee that they will not have the time to make a sound if you penetrate their skull with a steel arrowhead
>>
>>337774898
Any TES game.
>>
TF2.
>>
>>337779973
>Shits actually loud as fuck
So is a fucking bow, have you ever fired one?

Arrows make way more noise than bullets, too, and you can find the shooter by following the path the arrow took if ANYONE sees the arrow.
>>
File: 1429868544769.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1429868544769.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
>>337780320
>Arrows make way more noise than bullets, too, and you can find the shooter by following the path the arrow took if ANYONE sees the arrow.
>arrows make way more noise than bullets
>>
>>337779973
>implying a bow is quiet
Have you ever even fired a fucking bow?
>>
>>337780320
This
They find an arrow in a guy and instantly know which direction it's coming from

Unless you're shooting a 120+ pound longbow into a guy wearing nothing there's going to be an arrow in him
>>
>>337780398
anon I hope you're pretending to be retarded and don't really think the BANG comes from the bullet and not the gun
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk
>>
>>337780412
By the time they find the arrow in the guy, you've already moved on. Or you fire another arrow at the guy who found the guy with the arrow in him.
>>
>>337780463
>anon I hope you're pretending to be retarded and don't really think the BANG comes from the bullet and not the gun

No guns don't make the noise anon, bullets exploding out of the cartridge do.

Unless you're being REALLY technical and are actually talking about the literal bullet.
>>
>>337774898
TF2
Overwatch
Farcry Blood Dragon
Probably Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Skyrim
>>
>>337780526
>30 pound bow half drawn
It's impressive trick shooting, but that's pretty much it
>>
>>337774898
Monster Hunter
>>
>>337776994
yes indeed, bows can also shoot forks, doesn't mean it's a good idea and the common use
>>
>>337777118
Huh, i thought it seemed pretty realistic.
Burst firing your bow is the first thing they taught in my archery school, right before screwdrive cycloning your arrows into a multi-hit twister.
>>
>>337780526
>that fucking sit down and shoot
>>
>>337774898
Most ranged characters in SMITE either use a bow or just shoot magic missiles from their hands. The majority of ranged hunters use bows.
>>
>>337780550
If someone shoots near you you'll near a soft whizz when the bullet passes by, if you're close.

If an arrow flies anywhere remotely near you you'll hear a loud whistling sound and if it misses at all you'll probably hear the shaft snapping.

Retard.
>>
>>337780526

>not shown: the 500 takes where he fails
>>
>>337780938
I think you're ignoring the loud gun shot that can be heard from miles.
>>
File: thief.jpg (39 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
thief.jpg
39 KB, 400x395
>>337774898
- Thief series
- Gothic 3 (only good thing about it)
>>
>>337781094
You can't hear a silenced gun for miles. In fact a good silencer makes a lot less noise than firing a bow from full pull.
>>
>>337780938
>If someone shoots near you you'll near a soft whizz when the bullet passes by, if you're close.
you'll also hear the loud fucking bang of a gun being fired

Unless you're talking about some stupidly long range sniper shot at like 1.5 miles like what's happened in Afghanistan. The example I'm seeing they didn't react to the shot, whether out of ignorance because they couldn't hear it, or stupidity because they choose not to. I don't know what it is

I'm assuming it's stupidity because they're shitskin taliban

>>337781210
>In fact a good silencer makes a lot less noise than firing a bow from full pull.
I don't know much about bows, but I find that hard to believe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8xvE5B4yk
See 6:50
>>
>>337781210
>You can't hear a silenced gun for miles
Stop watching so many action flicks.
>>
>>337781210
>In fact a good silencer makes a lot less noise than firing a bow from full pull.
IIRC a 9mm with a silencer is 1 decibal under the sound that would cause permenant hearing problems or was it 10 over...
>>
>>337781303
hickock is life
>>
>>337780938
>>337781303
Well I looked up some longbow shooting

You're fucking stupid if you think a bow is louder than a suppressed gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvKJcxa8x_g

Here's a 140 pound longbow
>>
Crysis 3
Kingdoms of Amalur
>>
>>337781210
I bet you think a pillow mutes a gun.
>>
>>337781473
>tfw hickok will die in my life time
It's not fair
>>
>>337775356
nigga im a hit things with bigger things kind of guy and even i can admit a fucking proper longbow thats like 6ft tall strung is insane. its just that games make them look to easy to use
being able to pull back a longbow takes great technique and back strength. Probably impossible to do on the move in honesty.
Vidya and movies misrepresent archery pretty hard for the most part
>>
>>337781503
> A silencer can get that all the way down to 120 or 130 decibles, aka the sound of a jackhammer. Still loud enough to cause physical pain if it's close enough to you.

this is a hand gun mind you.

Personally I don't remember bows causing ear trauma when I was in archery class.
>>
>>337775416
>The horde's weapons are just re-purposed Dota 2 models

Come the fuck on Valve.
They truly don't give a shit do they.
>>
>>337775907
>>337776930
Stealth Archery is the only good combat system in those games though. Melee combat is stiff and unreactive as fuck, feels like whacking your enemies with foam bats rather than an actual weapon. Magic is so underpowered you might as well tickle the enemy to death. And if you like melee stealth then I know you're fucking lying because Elder Scrolls stealth detection is so shit it is literally impossible to get a melee stealth kill before alerting the entire room to your presence and dying.

Stealth archery works because it at least has a HINT of strategy and impact to it. A sneak attack arrow usually kills in one hit, and requires some modicum of finesse to be able to line it up properly without being seen. There is an element of skill, risk, and reward that literally none of the other combat systems have.

Again, I'm not saying it's very good, but it's objectively better than all your other options.
>>
Anyone have tips/resources for archery beginners?
>>
>>337781893
Go to /asp/
>>
>>337781503
and looking up a bow it can be 86-87 decibels

that's the difference between a piano and a jet engine taking off.
>>
>>337780787
Oh man, the classic screwdrive cyclone maneuver. Those were the days.
>>
>>337781893
Yea, i'm a coach so ask any questions you have.
Your best option is go to a club and get trained by someone who knows what they are talking about. Learning by yourself can be done, but it's hard to understand what you are doing wrong.
>>
>>337782683
i am always thinking "how hard could it be?"

just pull the string and shoot it

not to sound edgy, by how hard could it be i wonder, how hard it'd be to kill someone with a bow with almost no archery training, not to shoot precise as fuck which i bet would be hard to learn
>>
>>337774898
monster hunter
>>
>>337782918
You might think that, but the shit i see people do on their first day is astonishing.
Everyone thinks they know exactly what to do, but you dont have the muscle memory or the precise knowledge of how everything goes to get it right. For example where do you pull the string to as a reference point and what does your hand do once you let go?

There are some really good books and youtube videos out there if you want to learn by yourself. It wouldnt take more than a day or two to learn how to hit something at 20 yards.
>>
>>337774898
Skyrim
>>
Musou games
Medievil
>>
File: 1434936054312.jpg (200 KB, 1024x854) Image search: [Google]
1434936054312.jpg
200 KB, 1024x854
>>337782918
not that dude but ive shot bows as a hobby on an off for a few years
It wont take long to pick it up, and depending on how far you need to shoot or the poundage of the bow you should be able to shoot close to a target after like 5-15 shots, thats what my first day was like atleast. That being said i had seen some videos and read up on steadying yourself and which muscles you're supposed to be using, and everything kind of fell into place in terms of how it felt to shoot after like 30 mins.
im not INSANE ACCURATE ARROW MAN but can hit most of the time
If you're in a pinch and really need to hit something/someone your adrenaline will be running and you'll probably miss alot more.
Arrows wont instantly kill someone unless you hit them in the eye or the heart so they will probably just writhe on the ground in pain
>>337783294
though as this dude said, technique is key
>>
>People in this thread don't know about string silencers, which pretty much remove/dampen the sound of an arrow being released.
>People in this thread are seriously claiming that a weapon, which has been used for centuries, as a tool to hunt animals that bolt at the sound of a pin dropping, is somehow louder than a gun.
>People in this thread don't know that they've developed fletchings that stay relatively quiet during flight.
>People in this thread think it's the arrow being released that would make the most noise, not the the non-kill shot and subsequent screaming that would entail it.
>>
>>337782918
Be aware that you will start out weak like a kitten because you've never used your muscles like that before. Remember to pull from the back, and take breaks or you'll regret it the next day. A majority of the training that medieval archers did wasn't to improve their accuracy, it was to build and maintain muscle.
>>
>>337781831
What tes were you playing? I almost always rolled a stealth melee cat. After the initial 10 levels or so with proper perk placement (skyrim), it was unusual for me to be detected. After the first 20, almost impossible. Had to level a little higher for oblivion and morrowwind, but it worked there too. Good armor choices were also key. Heavy armor isn't very sneaky. Light was a little better. Robes and slippers... never see me coming.
>>
>>337774898
Chivalry if you enjoy being a cunt.
>>
>>337774898
If you like being a stealth archer than any Elder Scrolls game from Obivion onward.
>>
Dark Souls.
>>
The Last of Us
>>
>>337775416
Pretty much this.

I love archery in games, and this is possibly the most fun i've ever had in a videogame in my life.

Can't wait for more fully fledged games like this.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.