[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you normally name your characters in JRPGs? stick with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: ctname.png (6 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
ctname.png
6 KB, 256x224
what do you normally name your characters in JRPGs? stick with the originals? name everyone after people you know in real life? just give the MC your name? use names from other games/movies/etc.?
>>
>>337751305
i remember naming all my not-Pokemon in Ni No Kuni after Metal Gear characters. i had one of those cat thief things named Ocelot, i had a bat named "A Hind D?!" and i vaguely remember having some huge tank type thing named "REX"
>>
>>337751305
If the character already has a name then I generally leave it unless I think of something that makes me laugh.

If it's the main character and they don't have a default name and there's no honorifics used then I use my name.
>>
>>337751305
I usually leave the names. Except on secret of mana, I named all the characters with the names of the seinfeld cast
>>
i use my own name for the MC and the default names for the rest of the party
>>
i usually go with canon names, unless the MC is supposed to represent you, then i name them after myself
>>
Always default, except for Final Fantasy IX because Dagger is just stupid.
>>
>>337751305
If it's a game that already has names, I'll generally leave them.

If it's a game that allows you to name your entire party while basically being able to create your own story a la Etrian Odyssey/Demon Gaze, I'll usually do me + my friends.

If there is no canon name, then I'll usually go with Meta or Hydel.
>>
In mystery dungeon I always name the characters after after me and my best friend.
>>
-Game Title- Man, so Final Fantasy man for example or FFman if I don't have the space.
>>
>>337751305
It depends. If they have a defaulted name before I type mine, I'll just stick to that. If it's a character that I can customize beforehand, you bet your ass I'm naming them.
>>
Niggerlodeon, or Nigglo.
>>
Usually a verb with an e on the end while trying to retain the original sound. Usually Spinne for a guy or Twirle for a girl.
>>
File: 1461530268710.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1461530268710.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>337751305
If the characters already have names I just keep those names, if it's some sort of nameless character (Like units in Disgaea) I'll usually name them after characters from other game or just unfunny shit like "Cat Dude" or "Punch Guy". I'm very bad with names.
>>
>>337751305

Original name, if no original name then my name.
>>
>>337751305
Default name. Failing that, I use a descriptive title (e.g. "hero", "mage", etc.)

I've always thought it was strange that other people renamed characters. I just don't get it.
>>
Canon name if available.
I look up some japanese name that fits the design of the character if it is set in Japan.
Or make up the first thing that comes to mind when a western name fits the setting.

Thankfully I don't play medieval fantasy, or else I'd have no idea of what to name those guys.
>>
I usually stick with the defaults but sometimes (mostly in pokemon games) I'll just ignore them and give them the name that looks the most fitting. Like in Pokemon X I named the MC Ethan just because he kinda looked like an Ethan to me, if that makes sense.
>>
I always use the default names.

If the game has no default name, but some other adaptation does, I will use those names.
>Example: Persona series; protagonist doesn't have a default name in the games, but they usually do in the manga/anime

If the game has absolutely no default name at all, I will make one up. Since this mostly happens to me in JRPGs, I will often use names from anime that I've been recently watching

If I'm playing Pokemon or some other monster-collecting JRPG, I will come up with punny names.
>Cyndaquil = Backfire, because there's fire coming out of its back
>Swanna = Bots, as in the African country "Botswana"
>>
If it's a game like Chrono Trigger where the MC name is just dumb, I name them after me. But I always leave everyone else
>>
File: Kumatoras name.png (236 KB, 1366x729) Image search: [Google]
Kumatoras name.png
236 KB, 1366x729
>>
I named the mom in mother 3 after my real mom first playthrough...

didn't realize until it was too late
>>
>>337751305
If there is a canon name, that is what I go with.
Otherwise, my characters are generally named Adrian if male and warrior and Sabrina if female and mage which are characters I created for my silly creative writings
>>
>>337757146

At least you didn't make your family in the sims and have your mom and you both die in a horrible fire

that shit will fuck you up as a five year old.
>>
I stick with the standard names because I am not a self-insert or a speshul snowflake or a zany SO randumb XD.
>>
I name them after Dictators. I know they have default names but it feels like a waste to have the option to name them but not using it.
>>
If the MC talks, I keep it default. If it doesn't talk, which means it's supposed to immerse me, I name it after myself to further the immersion. Everyone else stays
>>
>>337758634
>What's wrong Saddam-chan?
>Hitler-senpai won't recognize me~
>>
>>337759070
> Stalin, please heal us!
> I am so sorry Ghaddafi... I couldn't save you.
>>
>>337751305
Depends on the game.
If the character has a defined personality and story, I leave it.
If it's a blank slate self-insert game like Pokemon, I name my character.
>>
>>337759070
>>337759070
Stalin... Give me.. the Black Materia...
>>
If the game already has a name for the character put into the naming screen then I tend to leave it.

If the game leaves the name empty then it depends. If it's a realistic game where it's clearly a self-insert kinda deal and the main character is just supposed to represent the player, then I name them after myself. If the character has even a slight backstory or personality I make up names depending on the genre and gender.

I tend to use Lisk or Fenira in fantasy games for male and female main characters, respectively. And for realistic fictional worlds (see Fallout) I use Alex for both males and females.
>>
>>337758940
>I self insert myself in video games
God you must have a depressing life.
>>
>>337759808
1st playthru: choices I would make in a situation
subsequent playthru: actual characters
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.