[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think overwatch will be a successful e-sports game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
Do you think overwatch will be a successful e-sports game?
>>
No, but if is fun to play
>>
>>337749838
>>
i hope not
>>
>>337749756
No, but it's a fun game
>>
No, nice joke
>>
No.
Blizzard is trying too hard to push it.
>>
ye
>>
>>337749756
The tools, as they are now, simply wouldn't allow it. If they polish systems more or add new mechanics / systems, I'm sure it would become more attractive to the elitist tryhards to make it more successful.
>>
>>337749756
As long as I can enjoy a good amount of time as Genji and Roadhog before it dies I don't care.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4hXXEkq6U
>>
File: 1463289287727.png (592 KB, 942x944) Image search: [Google]
1463289287727.png
592 KB, 942x944
>overwatch
>esports
I already laughed when I saw tournaments of it on esl
>>
>>337749756
>20 tick
>competitive esports

pfahahhaha, remember when release bf4 tried to be "competitive" with 10 tick servers?
>>
>>337750376
Remember when some cs shitter didn't understand what tickrate was and spread said misunderstanding to the corners of the net?
>>
>>337750376
pretty sure tickrate is the least of bf4's problems if it's trying to be 'competitive'
>>
It'll be an 'esports' game whether it deserves it or not because Blizzard will offer big cash rewards that draw in all the tourney teams.
>>
>>337750376
Thats Quick Play/Casual matches. Customs and Ranked are 64 tick
>>
>>337749862
why you mad? it's the truth
>>
>>337750376
>thinking tourneys and competitive play would be run on "Quick play" and not custom.
>>
>>337750894

>needing to change how the game works to make it "competitive"
>>
File: 1462149967148.gif (3 MB, 800x708) Image search: [Google]
1462149967148.gif
3 MB, 800x708
>>337750376
Remember when games were fun not ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''competitive''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' (marketed heavily with fixed tournaments and cheaters)

Esports is cancer
>>
>>337749756
I first got into it by watching my friend play it for like an hour or two, so I'm sure it'll be streamed and shit a fuckton

But also it's kinda casual BS so I'm not sure if it will ever be a "REAL" esport
>>
>>337751046

I have fun on console versions of FPSes
>>
it's dull as shit to watch judging by what's out there right now but that won't stop blizzard from forcing it
>>
It will be popular on consoles.
>>
>>337750376
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTH2ZPgYujQ
>>
Yep, within 6 months guaranteed.
>>
>>337751046
back in the 1980's you mean? because videogames have had a competitive scene for like 15 years now, except they were mostly local
>>
Literally TF2 with MvM abilities always on
>>
Well its a very fast paced game with a strong push/mobility meta with tons of different comps.

With the amount of hype it has behind it it will of course be a huge success.
>>
Yes, koreans are already playing it
>>
>>337749756
if blizzard dumps $1 million like dota did fags and Russians would train like fuck
>>
Probably will be.
>>
the concept of overwatch esports is a joke regardless of its success
>>
Absolutely not, I can imagine them pouring a shitting of money into this game to percieved as an e-sports game though. When that fails they will likely start fucking it up until the game collapses into F2P and dies 2 months after launch.
>>
>>337751419
The people you're talking to haven't been playing video games for more than 5-10 years at BEST. They're not going to remember when people had lan tournaments back in the 90s or arcade tournaments back in the 80s and late 70s.

You gotta understand how shit /v/ is at video games. A good 99% of the people here have never and will never be good at a single game. They will still talk completely out of their asses though claiming what's what and how things work and act all professional. The board is a joke when it comes to skill and talking about this shit, you should NEVER bother

There are people who would never get higher than gold nova in csgo talking as if they understood a single thing about the game. People who will never break 3000 mmr talking about dota and its balance when they don't even begin to understand how the game works. There's a reason there's literally NEVER a fighting game thread here and why /v/ doesn't like those games

This board is pure shit at video games and if you ever find yourself arguing about things like tickrate and what not, you're talking with people who can't shoot or move for shit and would never even notice the difference
>>
>>337749756
Probably not. Blizzard pumped a lot of money into PR just so this crap sells but it would require a fuck ton more to support tournaments.

They might try it like with Heroes of the Storm.
>>
>>337749756
>Le Esports Meme,
When will it just die already?
>>
>>337750376
It's more reliant on strategy.
>>
I think it will be. It has enough depth and its fun.

Hearthstone is a big e-sport which proves watchability is the key factor. Overwatch is pretty fun to watch.
>>
Can someone explain why it wouldn't be? If CSGO can be an esport why can't this game which has more complexity to it?
>>
>>337749756
No, it will end up like heroes of the storm.
>>
Blizzard has been talking about how it's going to be this great game for E-Sports and they're going to really support it. It's first major tournament was at Dreamhack just recently, and it was a complete blunder. Tons of Twitter posts by people that attended confirmed a lot of negative things. No energy in the crowd, slow and boring plays. Ultimates do nothing to excite people, and there were actual boos in the crowd to some being used, like Reaper's. Not only that, but people involved in Dreamhack also pretty much said that Blizzard refuses to put any money into these tournaments and refuse to take any criticism from organizers, who have been running tournaments for years, and the players themselves, who you need to have an active scene.

Heroes of the Storm failed to take off and is a joke in the E-Sports field. Starcraft 2 is fizzling out, and has been since 2012, with major drop offs in 2013. Hearthstone is pretty much their only active title in the scene, and it never gets huge cash pot tournaments, just small pots here and there.

Now, take all of this and look where players are at across the scene. On the 'Moba' side of things, League and Dota are juggernauts that aren't going to be toppled any time soon. No one playing those games want to play Heroes of the Storm because there's not a professional scene to watch and be engaged in on the side. For FPS, we have Counter Strike as the dominating behemoth with no competition. RTS wise, Starcraft is the only one in it's field that's active, and it's been on the decline for years, as professionals leave it for fucking Hearthstone and other more popular games. Blizzard just refuses to put effort into supporting their stuff on the E-Sports side of things. They just expect people to do it themselves and be thankful they have a game to play. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

Blizzard is on a decline, and it's mainly because they're out of touch with what they want to do.
>>
Everyone knows that the only REAL measure of how competitive a game is, is how much money they can milk out of autistic bronies in order to fund their prize pool
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.