[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right /v/? Is buying DOOM new supporting unethical practices?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: DOOM4.png (174 KB, 973x717) Image search: [Google]
DOOM4.png
174 KB, 973x717
Is he right /v/? Is buying DOOM new supporting unethical practices?
>>
I don't give a single fuck about video game reviews because almost all video game reviewers are shit and have bad opinions
>>
Don't give a fuck about reviews.

I want demos back.

I wanna play part of a game on my own system before buying it.

Fuck you.
>>
>Bethesda are big fat meanies for not giving me free stuff! :(

Not that the new Doom isn't shit or anything, but he comes across like a spoiled fuckface.
>>
>>337747727
>>337747836
I tip my fedora to you fellow gamergaters
>>
I'd do the same thing if I was them, game reviewers can go fuck themselves.
>>
>People don't want to wait until initial impressions come out and somehow this is Bethesda's fault
There is nothing unethical about not giving out pre-release copies. People are more than free to wait it out until first impressions of the game begin to come in. If they want to drop the cash, well, it is their money.
>>
No, fuck him. I waited until I saw enough of the game myself to make an informed purchase just like everyone else fucking should. Game reviews are at best unneeded and at worst propaganda.
>>
That's why you go PC. I got it at almost half price at launch, and if I'd gotten it directly through steam, I would have gotten a free game with the preorder, and could have gotten a full refund if I didn't like it.
>>
File: 1450413541657.gif (839 KB, 450x402) Image search: [Google]
1450413541657.gif
839 KB, 450x402
>>337747654
Who the fuck cares about some shitty reviewers opinions?

We all have different taste, I don't need some other fuckface to decide my life for me
>>
File: strongest potions.png (266 KB, 368x657) Image search: [Google]
strongest potions.png
266 KB, 368x657
>>337747654
>7 hour campaign
>charging $80 + tax in Canadabux
>"Don't forget the season pass for the fucking horrible multiplayer you stupid goy! Only $60 more!"

Fuck gaming.
>>
>>337747654
>UGHHHHHHH GIVE ME FREE SHITTTT ;-;

delicious tears
>>
>>337747654
>reviews are important
same reviews that gave UC4 a 10?
is this how your average drone think?
>>
>>337747929
>buzzword: the post
>>
Why does everyone hate reviews so much? Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>337748732
post a reliable source for video game reviews.

protip: you can't
>>
>>337747836
>>337747727
>>337747884
>>337748049
>>337748057
>>337748091
>>337748242
Do you not realize this also applies to initial impressions, gameplay, previews, quick looks, etc. outside of marketing materials.

Holy shit this is some corporate drone shit right here to support a game release that has been marred with controversy and negativity pre-launch not having review codes sent out until launch day.
>>
>>337748732
Tell me what a review gives me that a demo or a stream couldn't.
>>
>>337747654
I dont give a fuck because I bought it with gift cards and ended up being free.

Do what I did and find a way to fuck the industry back over without spending a dime.
>>
>>337749140
literally who gives a fuck? are you some kind of corporate fuckboy who actually preorders games? fucking kek
>>
File: 1441138950196.jpg (62 KB, 440x540) Image search: [Google]
1441138950196.jpg
62 KB, 440x540
>>337749140
Yes, that's exactly what no review copies mean. Absolutely. No one will get to touch a game at any state before release. Yup.

Go back to fucking kindergarten, you slobbering retard.
>>
>>337749376
Yes, that is exactly what it means. No one in the media can play it in any form before launch day.

Holy shit you are either a shill or a fucking drone cocksucker
>>
>>337748732
Reviews are useless.
I've found many "10 out of 10 perfect" games utterly boring and I've enjoyed many 6/10 7/10 titles.
At the end of the day no one can decide for you because no one has the same tastes as you.
>>
>>337749494
>No one in the media can play it in any form before launch day.
Good. Maybe that leech of an industry will die, then.
>>
>>337749140
And if people want to pre-order a game in these conditions they are more than free to do so. There is literally nothing stopping people from waiting the 1 or 2 days post-release to know if the game is good or a steaming pile of shit.
>>
File: polygon.webm (3 MB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
polygon.webm
3 MB, 800x500
>Trusting game journos

Not even a GGfag, just look at this shit. This is the type of person who would be blaming the game for their own shittiness.
>>
https://www.christcenteredgamer.com/
Not even joking.
>>
>>337749494

>No one in the media can play it in any form before launch day.

Why is this a bad thing? What's wrong with just watching someone play the game on youtube literally the second the game releases? Why would I want someone I don't know to tell me their opinion about a game?
>>
>>337749084

>>337749724
>>
>>337749494
Why exactly should I care for this "media"?

Fucking kill yourself, I bet you're some butthurt reviewer mad you can't play this 10/10 game for free
>>
I can honestly say a video game review has never influenced my decision to purchase or not purchase a game. Youtube/twitch streams are more likely to influence my purchase than a review and twitch isn't really impacted by review embargoes anyway.
>>
>>337749685
was it a girl?
>>
>>337747727
Pretty much this.

Most reviewers are completely shit at the game they're reviewing and they let that judge their reviews.

Meaning their opinions are completely irrelevant.
>>
>>337749685
>This is the type of person who would be blaming the game for their own shittiness
But that youtuber DSP does exactly that and /v/ worships him.
>>
File: 4IsyBA9.jpg (15 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
4IsyBA9.jpg
15 KB, 250x238
>>337749494
I didn't know not sending out review copies would cancel E3, the TGS, and PAX.
>>
>>337749995
We honestly don't know. All we know is that this is Polygon.

>>337750068
That's because he's the village idiot, people don't go to him for serious opinions because he's a fucking klutz that people point and laugh at.
>>
>buying a game new is worse than buying a game used
>buying a game used at release
>bitching about review copies not being giving out till launch
It's simple. Just be patient and fucking wait if you really want to see some shitty shill review.
Guy has it right about rentals but that's still money spent when demos should be available
>>
I don't have a problem with this. I don't give a shot about doom but reviewers are fucking cancer.

>wahhhh they won't give us free games early wahhhh
>>
>>337750087
That's marketing materials you fucking corporate drone.
>>
>>337749084
>>337749162
>>337749548

If you find a review source you like, it gibes you insight into the quality of a game before you buy it. For example, what if it said "the secomf half of the game is really terrible". How would watching a stream let you know that?

I use reviews combined with posts on /v/ to let me know how strongly to consider buying a game asap.

I check gamesradar, Eurogamer, angry Joe, gametrailers (now Easy Allies), and Gamesweasel.
>>
>>337749724
im willing to bet they pay for their games
>>
>>337748732
because pretty much all 'professional' game reviewers fall into at least one of the following categories:

>ultra casual morons who don't know what they're talking (or writing) about
>paid by the same publishers whose games they review
>leftist shills who don't give a fuck about games and are just in the games media to push their agenda

we've come to a point where 'professional reviews' are just as useless as metacritic user reviews. so why the fuck would i care about 'professional reviewers' getting shafted? i dislike them anyway, so i actually enjoy them getting buttblasted.
>>
>>337747654
>You shouldnt buy games unless you get reviews from Polygon playing it

The game is most likely shit, and you should never buy a game day-1, but fuck his logic.
>>
File: Notashill.png (684 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Notashill.png
684 KB, 1920x1080
>>337750443
>Playing the game yourself in a demo is marketing materials! Shill shill shill!

Holy fuck I have to share a road with you people.
>>
>>337749140
Hey hey hey hey hey

guess what?

I should be able to make my own opinion WITH A FUCKING DEMO

toodles :)
>>
>>337749685
the crosshair movement is super weird. is he playing with a fucking gamepad?
>>
Why do they get FREE review copies in the first place?

They should pay for them like everyone else. Especially given how their livelihood depends on them.
>>
>>337750465
>angry Joe
consider suicide
>>
>>337750840
Probably but even the average gamepad fag isn't that bad
>>
Video game companies should allow demos again so people don't have to depend on a bunch of parasites.
You have no excuse In the current age, where consoles have hard disks and can easily download said demos from the internet.
>>
>>337750840
Of course they are you dope.
>>
File: current-doom-cover.jpg (117 KB, 645x423) Image search: [Google]
current-doom-cover.jpg
117 KB, 645x423
>>337749140
I get the point you're trying to make, but no review copies being a red flag applies moreso to regular AAA game releases, with mucho marketing budgets.

It's obvious that id is taking a very different tack with Doom2016. They are, out the door, going for the slow burn PC sale. Effectively make the game a must buy title for the next 5 years. It won't need a big marketing budget and will rely on word of mouth. It will accomplish this through gameplay alone, and if the earlier youtuber impression are anything to go by it will succeed.

If Carmack wants this to really explode, he'll revamp the multiplayer and release a shareware demo again. Doubt he has that kind of leverage anymore, but in any case he's going back to the traditional grassroots player base with this one. That means no paid reviewers, no DLC bullshit, no cinematics garbage, just top quality gameplay, fun, and value for money.

The console releases will be allowed to die on the vine within a month, with downloadable versions available at the earliest possible data. Depending on the strength of PC, there might be a few ports but I doubt it. Carmack is returning to the base, with a Game, hoping they still remember what those feel like.

The industry holds its breath.
>>
>>337751251
>If Carmack wants this to really explode

Carmack isn't at id anymore
>>
>>337751251
Carmack works for oculus, dingus
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.