[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many people on /v/ work at a retailer that sells vidya? >Work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 8
File: 60374.jpg (48 KB, 350x330) Image search: [Google]
60374.jpg
48 KB, 350x330
How many people on /v/ work at a retailer that sells vidya?
>Work at a used vidya/book store
>>
>>337747590
/v/ how bad of an idea is this? I know a place locally that's hiring. It gets a lot of traffic and it's not gamestop. Should I apply or will I hate dealing with the people that frequent vidya stores?
>>
>>337747590
do you work at 2nd and charles
>>
>>337748126
You'll probably still get your fair share of weird smelly people but if it's a little independent store it can either be much cooler and more chill than Gamestop, or much worse with bosses that try to skirt around labor laws and shit, could really go either way
>>
>>337748126

You don't have to "deal" with people

You offer them a price for their used shit, they either moan and get pissed and you see how they have no choice to either suck it up and sell or go away mad

You don't get this reaction when selling shit because everything will have a price tag on it and since it isn't a flea market you don't have to deal with haggling
>>
>>337748126
Anything is better than unemployment. I work retail and don't hate people, but I don't deal with video games/tech illiterate people.
>>
I worked in an electronics department. People always got pissed off about having to ask me to bring them a game or controller off a locked shelf. We'd put them out to buy, but then people go to the sports department, get a large gym bag, then do a mad dash down the aisle, knocking in all the games they could into the bag and run out the emergency exit.
>>
>>337748289
>>337748337
>>337748340
It's an independent chain. I guess I'll try and apply. Not doing anything between university semesters is really starting to wear on me and I want money for weebshit
>>
>>337748340
I worked retail for three years and I hate most people now

>People that treat you like a literal servant because you're behind a counter and not allowed to get mad at them or deny them anything

Manual labor is the way to go
>>
All retail sucks.
>>
We can sell our games but I recently started working at Family Video. So I do?
>>
Target Electronics, closing shifts generally.

It's cool. Mostly tech-illiterates getting big ol' TV's and iPads for their kids the first two hours, then just a slow trickle of bros grabbing games after their own work or pakis buying weird, specific stuff like cables a certain length or older recording devices.
>>
>>337748203
Nope
>>
>>337747590
>working retail

Never again, senpai. I'd rather be jobless and sucking dicks for Big Macs
>>
>>337748839
What do you do now, m8y?
>>
>>337748839
what's worse retail or food service?
>>
Retail at least battle hardens you for tech support.
>>
>>337748924
Service coordinator for an apartment complex. I have an office.

>>337748951
Retail. At least in food service you get tips and free food, at least that's how it worked at the bar I cooked at.
>>
>>337748839
retail isn't even that bad
assembly line work is far far worse, mind numbing shit that. never again
>>
>>337748470
Even better because you are not obligated to have mind wash training programs to actually get things started, I'd say go for it
>>
>>337747590
>Working at a retailer past the age of 22
jesus fucking christ why? Get a real job.
>>
>>337748951
Food service
>>
>>337748653
I didn't realize how tech-illiterate people were until I started getting questions like "Can these xbox one games work on the original xbox?" or people trying to buy 3ds games for their old ds
>>
>>337749358
Working for a big chain retailer constantly trying to force their 'corporate culture' and slogans and shit on employees was the worst experience of my life

>That one manager that takes it all very seriously and buys into it 100%
>>
>>337749469
Need job experience before you can get a real job. Working retail for a little while until you can get in the "real job" you went to school for might be necessary if you never worked before completing university.
>>
>>337748951
food service is superior if you work in a real restaurant, if you work in a fast food joint then it's infinitely worse than retail. unless it's one of those rare spots where the manager gives absolutely no shits and you can slack off.
>>
>>337749847
What about a pizza place?

Is working in a "real restaurant" hard to get into? I can't cook for shit
>>
>>337749469
A retailer that's not Walmart actually pays good wages. The real problem is getting in to one of them since the jobs are actually good and unionized. You gotta know someone to get in, and then need to make sure you're a full timer and not part time. Guaranteed 40 hours, paid time off, and health insurance. You also earn enough to live comfortably on your own.
>>
>>337749998
so long as it's a real pizza place, and not a chain like pizza hut. there's no difference between pizza hut and mcdonald's. also you don't need to know how to cook to be a waiter.
>>
>>337750178
Is waiter pay really as shit as I hear or do the tips make up for it?
>>
>>337750243
If you have any luck with tips you easily make well above minimum wage at least
>>
>>337750243
If you get along well with people and know how to keep tips, you'll come home with wads of $1 bills in your sock every evening.
>>
>>337747590
I don't but I have done merchandising work in the electronics section of a few retailers.

A surprised amount of old people came and asked looking for software.

Also most Walmart employees don't give a single fuck about their jobs, so many people didn't know the difference between Wii and Wii U or what any games were whatsoever.
>>
>working at a retailer
is there a worse fate in life?
>>
>>337750057
>A retailer that's not Walmart actually pays good wages.
The fuck are you on about? Please tell me what place pays that well full-time where you can live comfortable on your own.
>>
>>337750528
working in a restaurant, or even worse fast food
>>
>>337750528
Being unemployed
Being here
Working fast food

I work for HEB and get 12/hour to start. Once I work my way up to a department lead I'll make enough to support myself comfortably. I really don't have any complaints, retail is easy.
>>
>>337750624
Costco, Ikea

You're right though, he should have specified 'that isn't Walmart or any store like it' because CVS and Target and Kroger and all those are all shit too
>>
>>337750528
No job at all?
>>
>>337748653
> pakis buying weird, specific stuff like cables a certain length or older recording devices
Totally not doing anything illegal like making explosives with them. No, sir!
>>
>>337750909
>Costco, Ikea
Fuck they are nowhere near me.
>>
>>337747590
Used to work at shoppers. I usually told people planning to buy elsewhere cause they could get better deals.
>>
File: 1444973719942.gif (2 MB, 235x180) Image search: [Google]
1444973719942.gif
2 MB, 235x180
>>337748538
i learned this working semi-retail for 11 years now. The whole customer is always right mentality has created a new caste system.
>>
>>337748951
Food service is much worse, but if it's a real restaurant the extra money might be worth it.

Retail is ez as fuck, but like some other anon said manual labor is where it's at. No bitchy customers to please, you can show up grubby and hungover and nobody gives a fuck as long as you can work, and the pays usually pretty good
>>
Work at a Walmart, but I don't work in Electronics.

I am friends with the DM over Vidya though, we get lunch together a lot.
>>
>>337751636
What do you consider manual labor

Construction is the only thing that comes to mind
>>
>>337750624
I work stocking shelves at a drug store and can support myself. After all bills and rent I have 800/month for food and whatever else. It's not a ton, but it's enough.
>>
>>337751816
Construction, landscaping, road work, even stuff like pest control, industrial vent cleaning, there's a lot of odd niche jobs out there.
>>
>>337750057
I've worked for Walmart for only a year and I'm already making $15/hr, Health/Vision/ 401k, Full Time.

Walmart treats people who want to move up well. It treats those who want to sit around and collect a check like shit.
>>
working at a coffee shop is the only food service outside a real restaurant I'd ever do (hopefully).
I've always thought about being a bartender.
>>
>>337751816
Construction, truck loading, package handling, landscaping, warehouse work, parks and recreation jobs, janitorial work, etcetera

There's so much shit nobody thinks of at first when looking for a new job
>>
>>337752303
>package handling

I'll handle your package anon ;^)
>>
>>337752003
All retail management is abusive once you get into the area of salary. As long as you stay in the hourly range, you're golden.
>>
>>337752303
working in a warehouse almost drove me to suicide. i would recommend almost anything else, even retail.
>>
>>337752572
What was so bad about it? I just left my retail job and I'm mostly looking at warehouses in my search for a new one, I like the idea of just going in and moving heavy shit all day and not having to talk to anyone
>>
Why are retail district managers always horrible people
>>
File: MUSLIMS.jpg (59 KB, 640x511) Image search: [Google]
MUSLIMS.jpg
59 KB, 640x511
>>337748653
>pakis buying weird specific stuff.
>>
>>337752859
power trip.
>>
>>337752859
if you were a manager at a retail store what else do you really have?
>>
>>337752859
If you're nice and friendly, nothing will ever get done.
>>
>>337752859
While it is rarely like >>337753057 says, most of the time, it's because they have to sip that corporate kool-aid in order to hold their positions.
>>
>>337749998
>real restaurant" hard to get into?
Not if you have experience. You don't wanna do it though bro.
>>
File: 1431712673074.gif (486 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
1431712673074.gif
486 KB, 475x347
>try getting a job at gamestop because it's the only area i have some decent knowledge in for a starting job
>constantly call about the application and eventually get an interview set up
>interview goes well
>follow up on it
>they end up getting people from another location for the seasonal work

I can't get a fucking job anywhere.
>>
>>337750243
>>337750314
>>337750403
Waitress make fucking bank. A pretty girl who isn't incompetent can make almost 600 a week.
>>
>>337754071
tfw not a grill
>>
>>337754071
>A pretty girl

this is pretty much the key though, dudes never make as much and ugly girls don't either, no matter how nice/good you are at it you're not gonna make as much as the hot chick who knows how to flirt for money
>>
>>337754218
Yeah then don't bother, unless your a good looking guy that can find a spot at some local gay bar.
>>
>>337753943
>apply for a job at a movie theater
>get an interview
>go to interview
>so nervous I'm shaking
>guy asks me if I'm alright
>just shake it off and say that I'm cold and should have worn a sweater
>he apologizes and cranks the heat up
>interview goes awfully, imo
>finish the interview
>he says he'll be in contact to let me know if I've got the job
>next day
>get a call from the movie theater
>don't pick up
>get a call again the day after that
>still don't pick up
>another call
>don't pick up

holy fuck, why am I such a cowardly piece of shit

does anyone want to be my bf with a good job and provide for me. I have nothing but my ass and love of video games to offer.
>>
>>337754431
Because you're weak. Stop it.
>>
>>337754431
Call them, apologize for missing their calls and say you were out of town for a few days and forgot your phone.
>>
>>337755118
I can't work up the courage to do it
>>
>>337755406
Imagine being homeless for a bit then I guess.

Nigga just breathe a bit and do it. What are you doing here instead? I'm not gonna pay your bills. Nobody here is.
>>
>>337755406
Not him but listen... you can't know for sure till you try. If it doesn't work out, I'm sorry. But there's always more then one job.
>>
File: 1451421667448.png (42 KB, 1122x995) Image search: [Google]
1451421667448.png
42 KB, 1122x995
>>337751314
>Customer is mad at the store or some policy enforced by the higher ups that you or them will ever meet or see
>Yell at the clerk or a common worker
>They think we would magically be able to revert CEO decisions or I'll see the light and campaign for change for the company
>>
>>337754431
Nobody wants to support your sorry ass, no matter how cute
>>
>>337756991
I-I know that

I've just had a bad day today and am being a pity-partying piece of shit

sorry anons
>>
>>337757493
Why are you nervous to work at the movie theater?
>>
>>337758538
It's working in general that makes me nervous. I can't explain why because I don't know why.
>>
Work at a laid back copy/print shop. Ez mode.
>>
>>337747590
I work at a non-gamestop vidya store. We sell some anime and China shit too. It's nice because one of our stores big things is retro vidya which is the department I run. Nothing brings me more joy than crushing a norm is heart when they bring in a copy of super mario bros 3 they bought off eBay for $40 bucks thinking it was a steal and finding out that old dosent necessarily mean rare and offering $10 for it.
>>
>>337758670
Maybe the changes you will have to make with working hours and a feeling that you will won't make it/like the job?

It's too much to work with so you end up just throwing the whole process away to make easier.
>>
>>337747590
I work in a retail store that sells vidya. I like to tell parents that buy kids violent vidya everything that's in the game.
>>
File: choking on misery.jpg (27 KB, 383x433) Image search: [Google]
choking on misery.jpg
27 KB, 383x433
>>337752303
>janitorial work
>tfw retail janitor
>>
>>337758993
I don't think I've ever known the idea of being satisfied doing a good job. Doing a good job isn't satisfying to me, and I don't know why.
>>
>>337759230
The literal worst kind of person. Guarantee this is because you didn't get what you wanted as a young teenager. I wouldn't do such a thing because 9 times out of 10 the parent doesn't care anyways.
>>
>>337759230
Kek, nowadays parents should be more worried about their kids getting addicted to iPad cookie clicker clones.
I was embarrassed about getting back pain at 18. My chiropractor told me she gets 7 year olds with severe back pain because they spend 10 hours a day with their necks at a 90* angle over those things.
>>
>>337759751
MODS

MOOOOOOODS UNDERAGED HERE
>>
>>337759507
Why not set personal goals? Doesn't have to be huge changes, just small steps to make a change that you need to do. I find that setting out really simple shit like, mowing the yard or cleaning out my computer and getting that done does bring some satisfaction crossing it off a list.
>>
Feels good to watch the parents just reject their children.
>>
>>337759897
Try again. 22 but I still find it hilarious people take joy in doing that.
>>
>>337747590
I currently work at Gamexchange, ask me anything.
>>
>>337759950
I've tried everything. All when I was growing up people would tell me "wow you did a good job getting a 100% on that math quiz" or "great paper, your writing is spectacular!" even though I knew they were all lies.

doing a good job is hollow to me

I don't know but the idea of going back to a place where people are just going to pat me on the back when I do a "good job" when I know I was just doing my job makes me sick.
>>
>>337760039
You don't sound like you find it hilarious, it sounds like it makes you butthurt, like you were one of those faggot kids who think that you deserved to play halo 2 or GTA3 but the cashier wouldn't let you buy it on your own and he told your parents that it was rated M for such and such.

You're either a kid or you're just bitter as fuck

either way you don't "find it hilarious".
>>
>>337760493
Sasuke Uchiha wearing a fedora, everyone
>>
>>337760493
What about doing work in a factory or working a job where you can be by yourself more? It seems like you're more get in, get paid, get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>337760595
Actually my parents allowed me to play just about anything I wanted when I was younger.

I just get tired of seeing people think they have such power because they disallowed some kid a game sale and then brag about it online. Wouldn't you rather be the cool guy rather than the associate all the kids hate and talk shit about?
>>
>>337760941
I wasn't bragging. I said it cause I get some sick pleasure out of kids crying.
>>
>>337760880
>>>/out/
>>
>>337760941
I don't give a flying fuck about how my shitty self entitled child "customers" feel. Their parent is wanting to buy them Far Cry 3, because Little Timmy said it's no more violent then Call Of Duty. If I send that child home with Far Cry 3 I get flack from the parent because I didn't warn them about the Drug use in the game, and how a woman fucks you to death at the end of the game. Kids are assholes, they whine, and cry, and hold up the fucking line of Adult customers I actually want to help, not to mention how they fuck up all the product placement in the store and don't give a flying fuck about who has to fix that shit.
>>
>>337760941
Why the fuck would you want to be popular with CHILDREN

Children are annoying little shits.
>>
>>337747590
No-one here works.
>>
>>337761415
Anon, if you're working at a gamestore you're dealing with them all day regardless. Do you want your experience to be awful or slightly less awful?
>>
>>337761498
Slightly less awful

because slightly less awful would be fucking over the shitty little kid who lied out of his ass at his mom about why GTA5 is rated M.
>>
>>337748951
Working both at the same time at the moment

If it's just part time, retail, if you can get full time or even just set guaranteed hours then food service

Retail is easier, but most places like to jew you on hours and give you like 12 hour weeks, food service, from fast food to proper restaurants always need lots of people on, so you'll get more work and more money
>>
>>337749998
>No experience
You'll get tossed in the dish pit and told to wash dishes for 8 hours

Don't do it, it's fucking awful
>>
>>337761925
I'm fine with low hours I just need something to do this summer for cash. It's actually better if it's not full time because that would fuck with my financial aid and that's literally the only way I can stay in university.

>>337762049
Retail it is then.
>>
File: cdinanutshell.jpg (22 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
cdinanutshell.jpg
22 KB, 200x250
I used to work for a local video game retail company that touted themselves as 'ma and pa shop' back a few years ago. Store in question would have all sorts of older goodies (from Atari to Dreamcast stuff). At first it was a pretty okay job. All the monotony of retail didn't kick in immediately. Soon after the honeymoon phase of the job, I started to dread and kind of hate almost everyone who was above me in the company food chain. The head of operations there made it quite abundantly clear that everyone who worked as a clerk in the company was cannon fodder and was essentially treated as such. ('cause why give people chances when you can fire and hire someone for cheaper?) Further down the road, you got virtually no benefits, took breaks to the second so you wouldn't get written up, and would literally get shit on for the amount of shifts you get a week. ('Managers' got an automatic 40, whereas anyone not at head office got 25 at the very most.) Couple that with the fact you're paid minimum and can't ask for any kind of raise whatsoever (it's in the contract explicitly that you can't ask for one), and the whole thing was a shit show. Co-workers were either leaving or getting fired en masse, since everyone who was a clerk was expendable in the head of operation's eyes.

"But I work at a game store! It's so fun!"

In the amount of jobs I've had, I honestly can't even remember the amount of draconian rules and regulations I had to put up with for a minimum wage position at this fucking local company. Their mark up on their merchandise is also criminal. (They expect that you pay 100$ CAD for a used N64. Without any first-party controllers. No shit.)

I got fed up and reported those dickholes to labour board for making us work off the clock and making us drop off deposits at the bank past 9:30PM. Thousands in cash sometimes.

Head of operations conjured an excuse to fire me shortly thereafter.
I hope that company burns to the ground.
>>
>>337762049
>being alone
>doing simple work where you can directly observe your accomplishments
>fucking awful
M8
>>
>>337762402
one time at the store I worked at I took a piss like ten minutes after my break, and then got told by a manager that if I need to go to the restroom I should go do it during my break, otherwise its "time stealing"

min wage jobs are the biggest crock of shitfucks, way too many rules they expect you to care about for how shit they are and how shit they pay
>>
>>337762480
You've never worked in the dish pit of a popular place have you

You're not alone in the restaurant
You'll have busy people throwing burning hot pans at you because they don't have time to walk to the pit
You have to keep moving like you're in a full sprint to keep up when rushes happen
You don't have time to "observe your accomplishments" because you can never stop moving

Working in a restaurant sucks, I've done different positions in one, I've talked to chefs, I've talked to waitresses, they all hate it.
>>
>>337763006
No, I haven't. I was responding to your description.
Still sounds bretty gud, t b h.
>>
>>337753943
id that gif from that one scooby doo movie from the late 80's with those 3 ghost a Bouaragards mansion?
>>
WAGE KEKS, WAGE KEKS AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE HAHAHAHA
>>
>>337763752
What do you do for a living, anon?
>>
Anons working at any vidya store: did you get drug tested before hiring?
>>
>>337764337
DUDE
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.