[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Naughty Dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: Naughty-Dog-Logo.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Naughty-Dog-Logo.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
Is this the only gaming developer that does "Cinematic experiences" correctly? By that I mean with the perfect balance of action set pieces, game play and quality stories each time.
Inb4 no such thing as good cinematic experiences.
>>
What about Rockstar? Play RDR and tell me you don't feel like you're in an old spaghetti western.
>>
>>337746253
I wouldn't really consider Rockstar games "Cinematic Experiences". I feel like they don't have enough cutscenes, and the ones they do have only last about 2 minutes.
>>
>>337746407
They have a ton of story-driven shit in-game, though. The little nuances in the conversations during a mission, the high-quality of the acting, in GTA IV there's even a 'cinematic' camera setting for car chases that simulate various action movie camera angles.
>>
File: 1342723809414.png (27 KB, 327x444) Image search: [Google]
1342723809414.png
27 KB, 327x444
>>337744548
>Inb4 no such thing as good cinematic experiences.
I dont want a fucking movie, I want a fucking game.
>>
>>337746253
Came here to say Rockstar as well. Max Payne 3 was pretty similar to a modern Naughty Dog game, it just had less down time. And following that, GTAV seamlessly connected cutscenes and gameplay.

I wish Rockstar would announce a new game already, because I was disappointed by Uncharted 4 and want a new cinematic game to look forward to. Mafia 3's gameplay looks rough.
>>
>>337746768
Good thing they are video games.
>>
>>337744548
I would say Naughty Dog, Rockstar, and Bioware are best at cinematic experiences. It comes down to the cutscenes and presentation, and it feels like a high budget show/film at times.
>>
This game has a little bit of everything, superb VA and animations, it's got something for people who liek action sequences and something for those who like exploring ancient ruins and being immersed in a jungle for hours at a time.

It's a well crafted game in my opinion
>>
the graphics look so good in motion. The global illumination, animations and motion blur combine to make something that is almost photo realistic to watch

animation really counts
>>
No, you fucking idiot. Blizzard is the only gaming company that does cinematic experiences correctly. Do you not even fucking remember Diablo 3?
>>
File: Gulp.png (16 KB, 298x180) Image search: [Google]
Gulp.png
16 KB, 298x180
>>337747623
>>
>>337744548
A GAME that is a cinematic experience is a shit game

Its trash

the whole idea is terrible

Not a single person on the planet likes them
>>
the combat in this game is like playing scout in TF2 or something you run around so much. You're always jumping over shit and swinging on ropes to find a way to lose and then flank the guys who'd detected you. It's so fucking fun. It's crazy to watch nate do all this shit because its so video gamey but the animations and graphics make it look so real sometimes
>>
>>337747787
I like them.
So does millions of other people since Naughty Dog is Sony's best selling studio at the moment.
>>
>>337746891
Yeah I don't buy any GTA clones. I want them to announce the new RDR already because there is a metric ton of evidence for a sequel.
>>
>>337747973
No they don't, diablo 3 sold 8 million copies and died within a week

The sooner they drop the cinematic garbage te better
>>
I was thinking Eidos Montreal.

Deus Ex Human Revolution was cinematic as fook
>>
>>337744548
>"Cinematic experiences" correctly?
how?
In UC4 you have a new toy (the hook) , but the game never used that thing properly to make interesting puzzles and is just a new form to connect with the story/narrative/set pieces , that is how cancerous Neo ND is.
>>
File: naughty dog.png (27 KB, 1631x203) Image search: [Google]
naughty dog.png
27 KB, 1631x203
>>
>>337748486
>Forwards
Don't they mean backwards? advancing the narrative through cutscenes is the lowest they can do
>>
10/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts2am8WRBXQ
>>
No. Sure the cinematic parts are the best around, but the combat, platforming, and puzzles are repetitive and bland as shit
>>
Rockstar does well when you aren't being forced to drive for 5 minutes listening to conversation and shoot a guy once or twice before doing it again.

I don't know what you would classify them as, but the action games like Devil May Cry, God of War, and Bayonetta do a cinematic feel pretty well during some of their fights with clever camera angles and creative QTE/context sensitive animations.

But I do think Naughty Dog does them the best. I've had more fun with other games and been more immersed in other games, but I love U2, TLoU, and U4. I don't know why people get mad and call them MOVIE GAMES when shit like the chase in Madagascar, where you're doing all the driving, jumping, and shooting yourself.
>>
>>337748449
Do you mean the rope hook or the piton?

Completely disagree if you're talking about the rope hook. Agree if you're talking about the piton you get really late in the game.
>>
>>337748131
Who's talking about Diablo 3 here?
And if we are going to talk about D3 it's very much still alive and just recently started Season 6. You are factually incorrect.
>>
>>337749269
Are you the same guy?

>Sales are high therefore people like the games
Thats not how it works
>>
>>337744548

In my opinion, yes. Most """""""cinematic""""""" games are absolute garbage with a shoestring budget including lazy writing, animations, and terrible stories. The Order 1886 is a recent example of a garbage game that tries to ride the coattails of Uncharted.

I feel like Naughty Dog actually cares about the game they're making and you can tell. I hate games like this but I always come back for Uncharted. I don't think anyone else can truly live up to the genre of these games anytime soon.

t. Naughty Dog pretend shill
>>
Mass Effect and similar RPGs do cinematic experience the best because you get to choose when most of the cutscenes happen, what order they happen in, and how your character looks and acts during them.
>>
>>337749885
> I don't think anyone else can truly live up to the genre of these games anytime soon.
Cinematic games are bottom of the barrel

They are made like that because hte designers are lazy and mediocre

The unique thing to video games is that they can emulate experiences in a symbolic way through the gameplay

needing to resort to cutscenes means the game design is nonexistence
>>
>>337749601
No one ever claimed that's how it works. You claimed that no one likes games like that, I informed you otherwise while using information easily available to prove a point and you moved the goal posts. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.
>>
>>337750517
No you didnt

all you said it sells
>>
>>337750647
It sells because people like it. Is that hard for you to comprehend?
>>
>>337750787
Thats your opinion, you don't have proof

Bunch of people bought the last GTA on hype alone and hated, same with diablo 3

Naughty dog games are exclusives and get tons of marketing on top of being on consoles that have a tiny games pool
>>
>>337744548
>quality stories
what did he mean by this?
>>
I don't know why 'cinematic' stuff is so hated around here. There's fucking thousands of games to pick from but you decide to cry about these games existing.
I wouldn't play stuff like Heavy Rain but I like the fact that it exists and some people enjoy it.
There's this weird mentality that games should only be like X and it can't be like Y at all.
>inb4 muh industry is changed because of these games
Too bad, it's only going to get worse for you.
>>
>>337748131
how is D3 a cinematic experience? they just added a few cutscences for important events and between acts.
>>
Naughty Dog games have the best graphics on the market. It isn't even a contest.
>>
>>337752373
i didn't say it was. i said it sold a ton and people hated it
>>
>>337748852
>advancing the narrative through cutscenes is the lowest they can do

I think that's simplifying it a bit but I do agree with your sentiment.

I can safely say right now the three times I've been most affected on an emotional level in games were times I had to do something myself through gameplay, not when I was watching a cutscene play out.
>>
>>337752648
That's cherry picking and even D3 isn't universally hated.
Most of the time games that sell well are generally liked by the masses. That doesn't really say anything about the quality of the product considering we're on /v/ but usually anything that sells a lot means something.
>>
>>337744548
>By that I mean with the perfect balance of action set pieces, game play and quality stories each time.
I haven't played Uncharted 4 since I don't own a Quadruple, but Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us were severely lacking in the balance aspect of that. In The Last of Us in particular, the action felt so forced half the time that it almost seemed like they were just going "Well, we need to make you fight SOMETHING! So we'll throw bandits in this scene. And in the next scene... how about some bandits." The gameplay felt about as inorganic as possible, which was a shame because the gameplay and story were both pretty good.
>>
>>337753190
>Most of the time games that sell well are generally liked by the masses.
No they aren't, masses are moved by memes , how many of them complete the games? How many of them even remember the game 1 week after it came out?

> that sells a lot means something.
Probably that the marketing team did a good job.
>>
>>337744548
I would agree with that. ND do it well.
>>
>>337753547
How much do you think the suits care about people finishing the game or not?
>>
>>337749834
I think it's because ND tries to make a game like a movie while stuff like The Order tries to make a game into a movie. It's an important distinction.
>>
>>337753690

>How much do you think the suits care about people finishing the game or not?
>A tiny bit of all the players even bother to finish it

What the fuck does that have to do with people liking the games or not?

Make no mistake, one day they are going to run out of IPs to crash and they won't have fans or a community to fall back on. One day they won't know what to release and when a bunch of them fail in quick succession as they have no idea what people likes they are going to go bankrupt
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.