[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he a likable and justified protagonist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
File: Avatar_nathan_drake_1.png (230 KB, 480x444) Image search: [Google]
230 KB, 480x444
Is he a likable and justified protagonist?
>>
He's made to be generic as possible so.
>>
everyone says this, but the fact he literally kills thousands of people and that is not really addressed doesn't work tonally in the in-game world.
>>
File: listen.jpg (8 KB, 250x193) Image search: [Google]
listen.jpg
8 KB, 250x193
>>337701823
Drake is 110% generic. Just look at him. Black short hair. Tanned skin. Perfectly toned to where it's not too much or too little. 5 o'clock shadow. Indiana Jones like clothes and carrying an AK-47. That's not even including his personality, which is the typical charming/witty type guy. I love Uncharted and all, but c'mon. It's like a team of American females in their early 20's collaborated and made this guy.
>>
>>337702736
IIRC he's inspired by the pulp adventure protagonists mixed with the design of an everyman
>>
>>337701823
He's a fun guy 4 The Players.
>>
>>337702736
>It's like a team of American females in their early 20's collaborated and made this guy.
thats pretty much what happened
>>
Uncharted is about a good looking white, heterosexual man going on exciting globe-trotting adventures, killing bad guys and wooing a spunky white blonde reporter. On this level, it's functional at best and banal at worst. We want some diversity.
>>
File: jake cutter.jpg (55 KB, 250x355) Image search: [Google]
jake cutter.jpg
55 KB, 250x355
>>337702731
>everyone says this, but the fact he literally kills thousands of people and that is not really addressed doesn't work tonally in the in-game world.

Indiana Jones also kills a metric fuckton of people yet he's not likeable now?
Nate never seeks to kill people, it's always in self defence. Heck, Indiana Jones is more "kill hungry" than Nate.

>>337702437
>>337702736
He's supposed to come off as more of an everyday guy to make him more relatable, which you obviously missed.

Nate is like most of the 1930 pulp adventure protags.
>>
He's generic, but he becomes more of a real character as the series goes on. He's not overly complex but he's likeable and the journal adds quite a bit of charm.

Sam's a better written character, and is hyped to be the protagonist of future uncharted games at the end of 4 since he's not as much of a moralfag as his brother. Which I'm actually excited for since Sam was actually a pretty complex character in 4.
>>
>>337703645
>hi my name is anon and i'm dense as fuck
>>
>>337702736
I don't think anybody is gonna argue whether Nates generic or not, he was explicitely designed with 80s everyman action hero in mind.
>>
>>337701823
Generic hollywood sarcastic nonchalant action dude. Likable enough if you ignore the fact that he's kind of a massmurderer.
>>
>>337703757
What did I do wrong now.
>>
>>337703639
Indiana Jones got the excuse that his movies usually took place in World War 2
>>
>>337702982
>male model tier looks
>everyman
>>
>>337704154
"""everyman""""

as defined by hollywood. Basically just funny handsome whiteguy with mild liberal political leanings.
>>
Joel was cooler.
>>
anyone who thinks Drake wasn't originally designed to be a b-movie/pulp hero type character in the same type of setting are just autists who are upset about console exclusives. It's a fun game, with a fun generic character.
They fleshed him out a bit in the later games, but at the core he is just like Indiana Jones or TinTin - likable to the core.
>>
>>337704365
Joel is responsible for more deaths
>>
>>337704019
> "le Uncharted Guy is a remorseless killer" -maymay
> every-single-time
>>
>>337704056
>Indiana Jones got the excuse that his movies usually took place in World War 2

And? Nate is fighting pirates and shit that want to kill him.

Meanwhile Indiana Jones shoots a guy because he can't be bothered to fight or try and make his way out of the circle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWPrShBYpjA

For the heck of it, here's IJ kill count
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcuS8xusy8k
>>
>>337704559
>Kills a lot of people
>Doesn't show remorse
Sounds like a remorseless killer
>>
File: drakesubway.jpg (128 KB, 635x290) Image search: [Google]
drakesubway.jpg
128 KB, 635x290
>>337704789
And here's Nathan Drake's kill count
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zEO40bVDk
>>
>>337701823
He's shit faggot
>>
>>337704820
I think its just the "it videogame" argument, I'm sure canonically the amount of people that drake killed is more like 60-80 rather than literally thousands
>>
>>337704945
I see you not only missed the point I made, you're also incredibly stupid.

Now, do you really need me to explain why?
>>
>>337701823
He murders anything that's not American or human so he's alright in my book
>>
>>337704820
>game pauses constantly to have the character you play as mope about all the bad people he has killed in self defence

Sounds like a great game.
>>
Drake being technically a remorseless killer isn't technically wrong. It just leads to a game touted for having good characters as a weaker game with not as many good characters. Drake and crew just don't have a lot of depth outside their fun witty banter. Every time they have tried doing depth it works even worse

>>337705407
Has lead to far more interesting pieces of art (literature, movies, etc.) than the opposite that is Drake's depthless unrealistic character.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (7 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
7 KB, 200x252
>>337703639
>everyone hates arnold
fuken millenials
>>
File: orig[1].jpg (49 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
orig[1].jpg
49 KB, 1024x576
>>337703343
>>
>>337705910
>Has lead to far more interesting pieces of art (literature, movies, etc.) than the opposite that is Drake's depthless unrealistic character.

Good thing you don't make games.
I bet you're also upset that IJ doesn't mope about the people he killed or pretty much any other protag that kills people.
>>
>>337705910
Why you have to be so technical about it?
>>
>>337706375
>Why you have to be so technical about it?

They have to look for things to complain about. Nitpicking is what these people do.
>>
>>337706156
Nadine did nothing wrong
>>
>>337706536
>>
>>337702731
Lazaravich mentions it at the end of Uncharted 2. He references all the mooks Drake killed over the course of the game and says that Drake is no better than he is.
>>
>>337703343
There are many dead blacks in Uncharted 1
>>
>>337704279
What liberal political leanings does Nate have?
>>
Every side character is more interesting than him.
>>
>>337706349
1. IJ has still killed less people than Drake. And even in this aspect IJ lacks depth similar to Drake.

2. IJ still ends up having more depth to his character than Drake even after that because the movies find other ways to give IJ depth.

3. You talk of the killing like it's needed for there to be great gameplay, but the same killing I am talking about that happens in Uncharted games are often the worst part of the games. The character interactions and setpieces are the central focus here.

>>337706375
All I am saying is that while there's nothing bad about it, there's nothing great about it either.
>>
>>337703639
Indiana Jones is not likable. I have no idea how people can like those godawful fucking movies, I've never understood it. You'd have to have a fucking IQ under 90 to enjoy that shitty character.
>>
>>337702437
Like always, first post, best post.
>>
>>337707867
>1. IJ has still killed less people than Drake. And even in this aspect IJ lacks depth similar to Drake.
no/low kill run
>>
>>337707419
Idk, I'm just saying hollywood in general. Not saying its a good or bad thing, thats just they way it is typically.
>>
Hers not generic, his stereotype is.

How many real life people like him do you know? A generic male would be some guy whos slightly overweight, with hair loss, maybe a family and an slightly below his education job. THATS a generic male.

His character is Hollywood-generic, meaning witty, handsome, rugged.
>>
>>337708096
Low kill runs will still net more kills than the IJ movies, just not as stark a difference as it is otherwise.
>>
>>337707867
Idk, shooting people while swinging from a rope is pretty fun
>>
He's likable because he's a charming everyman. He doesn't have anything to dislike about him because he just doesn't have really any depth. What helps is having him play off the other characters, particularly Sully and then by virtue of that, building some depth for him over time.

>>337707927
g8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
>>
>>337708336
Those are the more setpiece-like moments. Those are fun. Since it's being brought up, most kills in the IJ movies also tend to happen in these moments.
>>
>>337708214
>A generic male would be some guy whos slightly overweight, with hair loss, maybe a family and an slightly below his education job.
Damn, I just realized that except for "slightly overweight" I'm not generic at all! I have perfect hair, no family and no job.
>>
>>337708481
>everyman

How many "everymen" do you know that are

>handsome
>peak physique
>trained in hand-to-hand combat and urban warfare
>vast history knowledge
>treasure hunters and globe trotters

Zero. Because thats not whata fucking "everyman" is. And eevryman has his shitty 9-7 job. Drinks a beer after work and maybe watches some football game on a weekend.
>>
>>337708683
>slightly overweight
Yes, only slightly, I'm sure.
>>
File: Cic8QVaXEAAqH3p.jpg (122 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cic8QVaXEAAqH3p.jpg
122 KB, 1920x1080
Nate is ____BIG_____
>>
>>337708683

So in other words, youre a loser. You go, girl.
>>
>>337708837
You sure make everymen sound like the most boring scum of the earth.
>>
>>337708214
>slightly overweight
In Yuropoor land right now. This shit is only more common in the US.
>>
File: 8fc.gif (781 KB, 202x244) Image search: [Google]
8fc.gif
781 KB, 202x244
>>337708931
Stop losershaming!
>>
>>337708336
>we're not here to take away your 'fun'
>>
>>337708837
Hollywood everyman, then.
>>
>>337701823
A lot of people give him smack for killing a lot of enemies. But then again most of said enemies are mercenaries or pirates.

You also have to give him credit for saving the world's ass from facing the supernatural shit from the first 3 games (I haven't played 4 yet so I don't know how he's like in that one)
>>
>>337702731

It's really just the same contradiction that exists in all action games and movies. The protagonist has the moral highground, yet ends the lives of hundreds with the blasé cockiness of a serial killer.

It's just the way things are, the game mechanics are about shooting people so the main character naturally has to shoot lots of people.
>>
>>337706156
Was Naughty Dog afraid to show a man hitting a woman? I think the only time Nathan managed to connect an attack it was either a tackle or the body slam from a higher floor. Made me think of the 90s Spiderman cartoon where he wasn't allowed to beat anyone up and only used web attacks or webswinging tackles.
>>
>>337701823
If you're 12 or just a 9to5er that's only joy in life is shit like Marvel movies then sure.

Otherwise he's just a copy pasted generic American I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING EVERYTHING IS FUNNY XD character

>serious situation
>one liners
>has to have the last line to everything people say
>has some sort of quip for every situation
>almost nothing he says has any actual meaning

He's boring as fuck and playing Uncharted makes me feel like I'm watching a Marvel movie. My braincells are just constantly being fried
>>
>>337701823
Not really, he's just attractive
>>
>>337702437
I really hate this argument. It's the same thing with satire.

If you create a character to fit a certain role on purpose, it doesn't justify that character being shitty. People use the argument for Ragna the Bloodedge, but it doesn't suddenly redeem the character.

If you're trying to poke at an established cliche, it only works if you actually bring something interesting to the table.

>haha he's supposed to be generic or relatable
>therefore because he ends up being extremely generic and forgettable, it's fine because we intended it to be that way!

Yet the games waste so much time on the character and his "development." The first five hours of Uncharted 4 are just cutscenes trying to flesh him out to no avail
>>
File: 1444380968959.jpg (56 KB, 607x623) Image search: [Google]
1444380968959.jpg
56 KB, 607x623
It's less of him being a deep character and more of him having a cast of charismatic characters to bounce off of for entertaining banter such as Elena, Chloe and Sully
This is what really hurts 4 since Sam is just a more bland version of Drake and the two don't have chemistry together
>>
>>337712703
Elena was a total shitter in 4. That awful relationship drama, jesus.
>>
>>337703343
Dumb cuck poster.
>>
>>337712703
Sam's sole purpose is for the Marvel audience. They knew quip throwing funny men are what the audience wants so they added Drake 0.5 into the mix
>>
>>337713118
Yeah, I really don't get how people can praise some bland fucking relationship bullshit that the game wants to act like it is dramatic
The writing in 4 shit the bed
>>
>>337708861
UUUU
>>
>>337712245
Out of curiosity, what do you like? I'm not saying you're wrong I can see where you're coming from but I wanna know what others constitute as a good character
>>
>>337712703
I thought that Sam was a good character, but only in 4. He was a good foil to Nate as he basically acted like Nate from 1-3 while Nate was not wanting to be adventuring anymore. If they added him in 1-3 he wouldve been the most boring character ever.
>>
>>337701823
he was beated up by a pussy with legs so no
>>
>>337713317
Well for one thing I like it when a character isn't afraid to be unlikable. I think Americans especially are obsessed with making the protagonist be as relatable as possible and I find that really dull. Fucking Gears of War 5 and that PS4 exclusive metal dinosaur hunting game both star Nathan Drake basically. Exact same constant quips EVERYTHING IS A JOKE shit.

But to answer your question about what characters I can enjoy or like, I liked Nier a lot in Nier.

One of my favorite protagonists is Luke from Tales of Abyss. On the flip side I hate Yuri from Vesperia. The worst thing about a relateable/intentionally likable character is that they just don't do anything. A character that you disagree with says something about yourself. When Luke says something you think is ridiculous or does something you disagree with, it tells you something about your own ideology.
>>
>>337707242
They're Spanish
>>
>>337713916
Interesting insight. Fair enough I guess. I don't mind the quips and jokes to be honest, I guess i'm pretty simple in that sense but I do appreciate what you're saying. I guess the typical relatable all american sells though and at the end of the day these companies wanna make as much money with as little risk as possible.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.