[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Games you haven't beaten still.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 19
File: 1.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
ITT: Games you haven't beaten still.
>>
File: 1453473312110.png (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1453473312110.png
21 KB, 500x500
Pretty sure I won't ever get past Gwyn.
>>
File: maxresdefault (6).jpg (83 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (6).jpg
83 KB, 960x720
NEVER
>>
Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, VII, IX, XII, Tactics

Not because they're hard. I just couldn't stand to play them to the end.
>>
OoT
I've been playing the same save file for the last 12 years off the GC Zelda Collector's Edition thing
I boot it up and beat a dungeon every couple years or so but always end up getting bored
Last one was Spirit Temple in 2014
I'll beat it some day
>>
Battlefield 3; so dreadfully boring
>>
>>337697856
I almost beat it and never played it again. The game is very boring
>>
File: perversion.jpg (23 KB, 397x300) Image search: [Google]
perversion.jpg
23 KB, 397x300
>FTL
>hard

I will never understand this meme
>>
>>337697856
i thought stellaris looked different howd you get this view
>>
>>337697856
I think this game nailed the bullshit features of a roguelike very well.

It was fun for like 2-3 almost-complete playthroughs until you realized it's basically all based on luck.
Might as well just throw a dice or something and save me some hours.

What a shame though, it could have been absolutely amazing.
>>
>>337698742
Uhhhh
Not. roguelike. retart.
>>
I recently continued my playthrough of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Last time I played was 3 years ago. I think I ragequit at the poision mummies part. On the last chapter now.
>>
>>337698029
i've only beaten the first boss (the giant) in Dark Souls 2 and im scared shitless of having to eventually go up against the Lost Sinner. She looks tough as fuck.
>>
>>337698742

>go into a pizza place
> complain about all the pizza and the complete lack of fish

Dude, if you don't like roguelikes, then don't play roguelikes. Simple.
>>
>>337698918
FTL IS NOT A ROGUELIKE
>>
>>337698918
It's more like coming into a pizza place and getting a pizza with an absolutely marvelous, amazing, stupidly orgasmic pepperoni and all that shit that only covers 1/3 of the pizza while the rest of the pizza is covered in nothing.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (92 KB, 1092x482) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
92 KB, 1092x482
This game. It's fucking harder than Dark Souls, specially the 4th act, those bosses are epic, tho.

>>337698583
>He hasn't played Hard Advanced Edition
Simply get out

>>337699001
>>337698891
I bet you don't think Crypt of the NecroDancer and One Way Heroics aren't roguelikes too.
>>
>>337698489
You're right at the end.
>>
>>337699158
Those games are a hell of a lot closer to roguelikes than FTL. Having permadeath != roguelike. There is a reason the term 'roguelite' exists.
>>
>>337698918
Not even a relevent analogy
>>
File: Valkyria_Chronicles_Wallpaper.jpg (2 MB, 5052x2197) Image search: [Google]
Valkyria_Chronicles_Wallpaper.jpg
2 MB, 5052x2197
It was all because of the cringy story too. I will never understand the appeal of anime, it really ruined this game.
>>
>>337699392
I just fucked around on my phone during the cutscenes. The gameplay was too fun not to finish.
>>
>>337699158
Advanced addition is honestly easier since more drops are actually viable which decreases the luck needed. It also made alternative strategies like boarding much stronger.
>>
>>337699392
What is it anyway? Fire emblem but with tanks?
>>
File: 1462698170698.jpg (100 KB, 511x788) Image search: [Google]
1462698170698.jpg
100 KB, 511x788
>>337697856
Stealth B is the best ship
>>
>>337699332
roguelite was made by angry neckbeards who doesn't want his sekret genre to become a mainstream

FTL has:
-Permadeath
-Random generated levels
-Random generated scenarios
-RPG elements like equipment and stats
-Turn based events
-Multiple active time battle actions
>>
>>337699568
No. It's not grid-based.
>>
>>337698583

Lets see your stats then fucboi.
>>
>>337698696
ftl game
>>
Majority of jrpgs, get really into them but then lose steam after 40h.
>>
>tfw the only time I beat it legit was when I pirated it
I like to think it didn't count so I guess I havnt beaten it either
>>
>>337699158
Any game that isn't actually like Rogue isn't a roguelike. Having procedural generation and permanent death does not make something a roguelike. FTL in particular is nothing like the game the genre takes its name from.
>>
>>337699667
>Permadeath
>-Random generated levels
>-Random generated scenarios
These last two are redundant and the generation is minimal compared to other rogues
>-RPG elements like equipment and stats
>-Turn based events
Where?
>-Multiple active time battle actions
What does this mean?

It is so loosely roguelike that minecraft can be considered more of a roguelike
>permadeath
>crafting
>leveling
>tilebased
>huge amounts of proc gen
>>
>>337699667
Roguelite was actually made by indie game devs who couldn't understand why people were pissed that they kept claiming to be a part of a genre that their games were only tangentially related to.
>>
File: 610jTpo6PwL._SS500_.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
610jTpo6PwL._SS500_.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
>>337699917
So this one isn't a roguelike because it doens't have MS-DOS graphics?
>>
File: 00Have you tried gitting gud.jpg (146 KB, 1241x650) Image search: [Google]
00Have you tried gitting gud.jpg
146 KB, 1241x650
>>337699691
I'm not him and this is old but these are my stats.

It's really not that hard once you know what to look for and how to handle bad situations.

It really is a risk management game though, you're completely at the mercy of the rng, kind of like Oregon Trail.
>>
Bastion, because contrary to popular opinion I found it boring as fuck.
Command and Conquer 3, but I'm not sure why. It was actually fun I just ended up losing steam I guess.
>>
>>337700162
Would you recommend this or Izuna?
>>
>>337700162
>>337700078
>>337700010
>>337699917
>>337699667
Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player-character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons. Though the roguelikes Beneath Apple Manor and Sword of Fargoal predate it, the 1980 game Rogue is considered the forerunner and the namesake of the genre, with derivative games mirroring Rogue's character- or sprite-based graphics. These games were popularized among college students and computer programmers of the 1980s and 1990s, leading to a large number of variants but adhering to these common gameplay elements, often titled the "Berlin Interpretation". Some of the better-known variants include Hack, NetHack, Ancient Domains of Mystery, Moria, Angband, and Tales of Maj'Eyal. The Japanese series of Mystery Dungeon games by Chunsoft, inspired by Rogue, also fall within the concept of roguelike games.

More recently, with more powerful home computers and gaming systems, new variations of roguelikes incorporating other gameplay genres, thematic elements and graphical styles have become popular, typically retaining the notion of procedural generation and permanent death of the player-character. Indie games like Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, Spelunky, The Binding of Isaac, FTL: Faster Than Light, and Rogue Legacy helped to establish the use of roguelike elements in other genres. These titles are sometimes labeled as "roguelike-like", "rogue-lite", or "procedural death labyrinths" to reflect the variation from titles which mimic the gameplay of traditional roguelikes more faithfully. Other games, like Diablo and UnReal World, key titles in the action role-playing and the survival game genres respectively, took inspiration from roguelikes.
>>
men of war: vietnam in single player, but did it in coop. not sure if this was worse because theres no saves in coop, or better because you have someone to share your frustration with.
>>
>>337700240
I felt the same with transistor, havent played bastion
The narration felt over done and the mechanics and exploration was minimal. I felt like they tried to hard with the art
>>
>>337697856
Unless you're using an overpowered ship like Crystal B FTL is very dependent on RNG.
Compared to say, One Way Heroics where your survival rate is mostly determined by just knowing what you're doing.
>>
>>337698583
this
just get the teleport mine or scrap launcher for destroying shield
get invisible shit and the rest are optional.
>>
>>337700496
>men of war: vietnam

No sweat, anon. We didn't beat that one in real life either.
>>
>>337700162
Nice shitpost, but ASCII has never defined roguelikes and were historically a technical limitation not a design choice. Mystery dungeon is actually inspired by Rogue and pretty closely follows its formula.
>>
>>337697856
>stealth
yeah no shit
>>
>>337697856
Play on easy, easy is normal mode
>>
>>337700650
nice
>>
>>337700465
That's a nice Wikipedia pasta but it doesn't refute the point that indie devs have appropriated the term as a marketing ploy rather than their games actually following Rogue's design philosophy.
>>
>>337700465
But which of these things can be changed and still considered a roguelike? What if I change or improve any of these elements, does immediately loses the category of roguelike? Like using an hexagonal grid, or changing to sci-fi instead of fantasy, or having a time limit to each turn, or even, removing the procedual level generation.

Games are different, games tries to improve the stablished formula, toying with it, or adding stuff. Yet, we have games like Mario Kart in the same category of Gran Turismo, or Valkyrie Profile in the same genre as Final Fantasy 1.

Crypt of the NecroDancer fulfills all these requirements, it is a roguelike, then? How about FTL?

>>337700715
> ASCII has never defined roguelikes and were historically a technical limitation not a design choice.
Turn based gameplay was a technical limitation of that era. So that doens't define a roguelike too, then.

All these limitations to define a genre are pretty much arbitrary based in what do you accept as a possible change and what do you deny.
>>
>>337699158
hard advanced with captains mod

shit gets real on your 2nd jump from hanger
>>
New vegas
>been in every single fucking thread
>know every fucking ending and all the fucking twists
>LEL LET IT GO XDDD
>still can't for the fucking life of me actually finish the game myself
It's the same exact thing every time I play all the way up to new vegas, do all the quests in towns up to new vegas but once I get there I suddenly drop it, tell myself I'll play it again and finish it but I never do, then I start it up one day wonder what the fuck I was doing and start over
>>
>>337701265
>Turn based gameplay was a technical limitation of that era.
Nani?
>>
>>337699158
wut game?
>>
>>337697856
>FTL
It's okay, you only need to play it for 50 hours on easy, aboard something like a kestrel/red tail or torus.
>>
>>337701409
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs6iHcNlgWU
>>
>>337699158
Did they ever nerf those god damn forest wisps fuck those mother fucking homing missles
>>
>>337701448
> it gets good fifty hours in
Trashed
>>
>>337701608
they actually buffed them
>>
Any gta game I think gtaiv was the worst
>buy it on steam thinking itll be so fucking awesome
>drop it 20 minutes in
>>
>>337701634
It gets good the second you do, just like with most roguelites.
>>
>>337701265
>Turn based gameplay was a technical limitation of that era.
Not really. Turn based gameplay was the result of ideological drift as video games evolved from its roots in interactive fiction and CYOA games.
>>
File: RuneScape_3_Logo.png (85 KB, 500x136) Image search: [Google]
RuneScape_3_Logo.png
85 KB, 500x136
>>
>it's another "casual gets mad because his favorite game isn't a roguelike" thread
>>
>>337702142
Some people have to learn the hard way that their ideas don't carry any weight outside whatever hugbox they come from.
>>
File: KoiKoi.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
KoiKoi.jpg
147 KB, 1280x720
>fuck the main quest, I've got Hanafuda to play!
>>
>>337698915
She's an easy bitch. Literally dodge all day. I'm afraid of the fucking gargoyles in belfry after cheesing the sentinels with summons.
>>
File: Chrono-Trigger.jpg (97 KB, 550x305) Image search: [Google]
Chrono-Trigger.jpg
97 KB, 550x305
>>337701870
Roleplaying games (both tabletop and from videogames) tries to represent something like pic related in an interactive environment. Is the technological limitations of the medium what forces developers to encapsulate the adventure they want you to try into a gameplay that tries its bets to give you the feel the developers want to.

Turn based games is an attempt to translate that adventure into a videogame.

That's why RPGs have moved forward a more immersible experience, from Phantasy Star to Elder Scrolls, all these games are RPG, but the latest doesn't have the limitations of the old games, so they can get rid of the turn based actions, among other things.

Of course, there is a charm in the gameplay of the past, that's why we have things like Legends of Grimrock, but it's pretty clear that turn based combat was a technology limitation, just like ASCII graphics.
>>
>>337701123
>Indie games like Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, Spelunky, The Binding of Isaac, FTL: Faster Than Light, and Rogue Legacy helped to establish the use of roguelike elements in other genres. These titles are sometimes labeled as "roguelike-like", "rogue-lite", or "procedural death labyrinths" to reflect the variation from titles which mimic the gameplay of traditional roguelikes more faithfully
It does say that some indie games use only some of the mechanics in their games and can be considered roguelite
>>
>>337702142
>It's "another basement dwellers gets mad because its favorite genre has become mainstream" thread

Read the thread, they started.
>>
>>337703242
>they started.
Who gives a shit who started it, be mature enough not to continue it.
>>
>>337702391
This. I was expecting brutality going in myself but Firebush was nothing more than dodge and whittle. IIRC I was even able to toxic that one down along the way.
>>
>>337701265
>But which of these things can be changed and still considered a roguelike? What if I change or improve any of these elements, does immediately loses the category of roguelike? Like using an hexagonal grid, or changing to sci-fi instead of fantasy, or having a time limit to each turn, or even, removing the procedual level generation.
>Games are different, games tries to improve the stablished formula, toying with it, or adding stuff. Yet, we have games like Mario Kart in the same category of Gran Turismo, or Valkyrie Profile in the same genre as Final Fantasy 1.
>Crypt of the NecroDancer fulfills all these requirements, it is a roguelike, then? How about FTL?
Hexagonal tiles are still tiles. Fantasy setting was never a term of the definition. Having a time limit on turns still count as turn based. Removing proc gen turns it into a roguelite. You can change a game to move away from an established genre. But you no longer count as that genre. Either you fit the definition or not. You can be loosely based of it, but there is already a term for that: roguelite.

>> ASCII has never defined roguelikes and were historically a technical limitation not a design choice.
>Turn based gameplay was a technical limitation of that era. So that doens't define a roguelike too, then.
>All these limitations to define a genre are pretty much arbitrary based in what do you accept as a possible change and what do you deny.
All genre definitions are to some extent arbitrary. Ascii was not a definition but turn based was. All the popular roguelikes are turn based as a mechanic of the game, and the game couldnt function differently. They all have tilesets to change the ascii graphics in the game. Ascii isnt a definition but turn based is.
>>
>>337703043
Some games are better with turn based you fucking pleb. Not every rpg needs to be a "real time immersive experience", modern turn based games do so entirely based of design choice
>>
>>337703043
>but it's pretty clear that turn based combat was a technology limitation, just like ASCII graphics
And I'm telling you that that's not the case as you fail to take into account how ideas are developed in the video game industry.

By your logic video gaming would exist in some kind of quantum state where anything technologically feasible must exist, but this clearly isn't the case. You point also ignores that many modern "traditional roguelikes" (DCSS, C:DDA, etc.) now use graphic packs while their underlying mechanics remain largely unchanged. This doesn't lend much credence to your "turn based as a technological limitation" argument.
>>
So, is Necrodancer a roguelike?
>>
>>337703242
I bet they consider ftl a rogulike in reddit
Maybe you should go ask them and stay there
>>
Since like 3 years ago I've developed a habit of buying shitload of games and beating barely none. Just from the top of my head

Catherine
Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax
BlazBlue Chronoblahblah
Steins;Gate
Okami
Disgaea 5
Witch and the Hundred Knight
Witcher 3
Persona 4 Dancing All Night
Bayonetta
Heavenly Sword
Red Dead Redemption
Lollipop Chainsaw
From Dust
Heroes of Ruin
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney

not to mention pretty much EVERY PSPlus from the last 2 years and everything I have pirated for PC, PSP, PS2 and Wii
>>
>>337704026
Only if you're playing as the bard
>>
>>337704026
Yeah. Much more than ftl or binding of isaac
>>
>>337704026
No emergent gameplay, no random items you always know what they're going to do, no resource management.

I wouldn't call it roguelike, no. Rogue inspired maybe.
>>
File: ftl.png (167 KB, 636x819) Image search: [Google]
ftl.png
167 KB, 636x819
>>337697856
>he can't even beat ftl
>>
>>337704323
>There is a time limit on the turns
>immediately loses the "roguelike" genre

>>337704357
>No emergent gameplay
fucking buzzwords
>no random items
I will correct you: no unidentifiable items. A sword can have a variation of different stats.

>no resource management
There is one: time.
>>
File: 1458521488657.png (648 KB, 825x707) Image search: [Google]
1458521488657.png
648 KB, 825x707
>>337700232
>Normal difficulty
>>
>>337704357
>No emergent gameplay
>no resource management
How not?
>>
>>337704635
>fucking buzzwords
Just because you don't understand the statement doesn't make it a buzzword.
>>
>>337704685
I'm a filthy casual.

Also I just wanted to unlock all the ships after downloading the game again, if I ever play again I'll probably just do hard runs since normal is pretty easy.
>>
>>337704026
Yes. FTL is not however.
>>
>>337703743
>Hexagonal tiles are still tiles.
How about characters who can stand in multiple tiles? You know, just like URR, the cult classic. Because The Binding of Isaac does that.
>>
>>337704268
Ar you me?
Just add a bunch of shooters here and a half way run of dark souls in there and that's my backlog. Jesus christ man why don't we play those games?
>>
File: 1.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
I refuse to play FTL on easy mode.
>>
>>337704912
Still tile based
>>
>>337701265
Not every first person game is an fps. Not every shooter is an fps. You cant remove half of the genre restrictions and call it the same genre
>>
>>337699158
1way heroics is a roguelike
crypt of the necrodancer isn't.
>>
File: 1463026334769.jpg (33 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1463026334769.jpg
33 KB, 268x265
>it's a neckbeards argue about semantics episode
>>
>>337705501
both are roguelikes, what makes them different?
>>
>>337705859
>both are roguelikes
lol
>>
File: Wasteland_Cover.jpg (91 KB, 505x656) Image search: [Google]
Wasteland_Cover.jpg
91 KB, 505x656
I feel like one of those casul 15 year olds that can't play Fallout 1 or 2.
>>
>>337705774
Nigga u just salty cuz you ran out of arguements
>>
>>337705971
to be fair that game is like playing Microsoft Excell.
>>
>>337697856
Ftl is more or less easy to beat once that you have found either a Ion BlastII or a Burst Laser II (or Flak or Ion Charguer in Advanced Edition).The other weapon slots only have to be half decent.
And of course, if you use a shit which has no fucking shield, winning will be more rng based and difficult for you, faggot.
>>
File: 2016-05-15_13-35-21.png (679 KB, 991x468) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-15_13-35-21.png
679 KB, 991x468
Neckbeards BTFO!
>>
>>337705971
>those casul 15 year olds that can't play Fallout 1 or 2.
More like 23
Seriouly, I don't know why but WRPG turn combat always feels like an absolute drag to me but I don't complain about mashing the autoattack in every DQ. It's probably something about the gigantic UI and th weird ass isometric camera.
>>
>>337705859
1 way heroics is rogue with a gimmick.
crypt of the necrodancer is not rogue with a gimmick.
>>
>>337706242
>steam user-defined tags
Real trustworthy sauce you got there.
>>
>>337706274
>WRPG turn combat always feels like an absolute drag to me

Might be just you. That shit gets intense at times. If you're not savescumming, that is.
>>
>>337706242
>user defined tags
Shall we all go vote bomb it with the anime tag to prove you wrong? Consensus definitions are useful as shorthand but are worthless beyond that.
>>
File: 120.png (40 KB, 649x706) Image search: [Google]
120.png
40 KB, 649x706
>>337706242
>Steam user tags
>>
>>337705774
>its a redditors pretend their casual garbage is a certain genre for le hardcore gamer cred episode
>>
>>337706242
Pack it up boys we lost this one
>>
>>337706301
>>337705941
>grid based
>permadeath
>randomly generated
>inventory
>single character you control
>turn based
necrodancer is a roguelike with a timer on turns and non-shit graphics
>>
>>337707110
I think it is but at least everyone can agree its in the grey area inbetween
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.